RandomAcronym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomAcronym
garth020762 wrote:Ok - now that I bought one...can anyone recommend a good site for picking up audio books to put on this Fuze?

http://www.audible.com/

crapolaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crapolaman
samzzz wrote:This may sound like a stupid question... but do the Fuze players have a clip on the back of them like the Sansa Clip does? Niece wants one she can clip to her when jogging since she doesn't always have pockets in her running shorts. (and doesn't want things bouncing out)

That's my question too: If you don't have a pocket, where do you put the Fuze, say when listening in the car?

vmo1059

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vmo1059

Can this scrobble to last.fm?

Google is telling me I need to change firmware to Rockbox. I will give it a try.

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits
crapolaman wrote:That's my question too: If you don't have a pocket, where do you put the Fuze, say when listening in the car?

Nope. You have to get an accessory kit. ANd they don't have clips, from what I can tell.. they have arm bands.

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
ha7msterx wrote:Is this v2? Has any body seen rockbox working on this?

It works fine on v2. I used it for a couple weeks to play games.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1908 Private Messages NightGhost
tatterbits wrote:Nope. You have to get an accessory kit. ANd they don't have clips, from what I can tell.. they have arm bands.

Search for "Fuze clip" on Amazon and there's a couple with clips.

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
crapolaman wrote:That's my question too: If you don't have a pocket, where do you put the Fuze, say when listening in the car?

In cup holder, in the console, in the ashtray, on the seat...

NightGhost

quality posts: 1908 Private Messages NightGhost
buffaloed wrote:It works fine on v2. I used it for a couple weeks to play games.

There are several reports that the v2 has problems with the USB after Rockboxing (to be fair, you're not the only one who has had it work smoothly, though).

DangerSpork

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DangerSpork
samzzz wrote:This may sound like a stupid question... but do the Fuze players have a clip on the back of them like the Sansa Clip does? Niece wants one she can clip to her when jogging since she doesn't always have pockets in her running shorts. (and doesn't want things bouncing out)

They don't have a clip, unfortunately. I solved this problem by buying a case designed for some miscellaneous cell phone at the local dollar store and putting the Fuze in it instead.

Bonus result: screen protected as well as Fuze now even more portable than usual.

schlafly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlafly

The Sansa Fuze is great, but I am still waiting for the one that I ordered the last time it was a woot special.

albuquerquemat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages albuquerquemat
RandomAcronym wrote:http://www.audible.com/

There's www.librivox.org

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000
schlafly wrote:The Sansa Fuze is great, but I am still waiting for the one that I ordered the last time it was a woot special.

I got mine - the 8 GB version - almost a week ago. So far it's been a pretty good player for the money. We'll see how long it lasts. No AB repeat which is kind of a bummer when I am trying to transcribe a song.

StemmyCornell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StemmyCornell
joeyo89 wrote:Does anybody know how well the shuffle works on these things? I know that other mp3 players have sucky shuffle, as in, they play some songs over and over again.

I keep my Fuze on shuffle basically 100% of the time and for the most part, I haven't noticed it doing that too badly.

However, since it groups the songs in alphabetical order by title and does it randomly from there, you may find that it plays the same artist a couple times in a row occasionally (it just thinks that it's 'random' because they are not grouped together in its list).

gypsydiva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gypsydiva

Does anyone know if this has an equalizer? Or can you reduce the base?

donrandall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donrandall

This will be my third Sansa Fuze. Excellent quality, works well, easy to understand, no problems, sounds good and the retail price is right. The Woot! price is even better.

I lost my first one while traveling. I replaced it with another because the first one was so good. I just bought another one here today even though I really don't need it, just because the Woot! deal is too good to pass up. I'll pack it away... Just in case.

If you buy one, figure on replacing the uncomfortable rocks they call ear buds. They sound okay, but are uncomfortable and tend to fall out.

My personal favorites are Ear Fuze custom fit, available online at earfuze.com.

jj2me

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jj2me
garth020762 wrote:Ok - now that I bought one...can anyone recommend a good site for picking up audio books to put on this Fuze?

Besides the other good responses you received, there's the local public library. Try here. Above the search box, select the tab "Search for a Library." If that comes up empty for your location, you should still ask your local librarian, because they might have a deal with NetLibrary, which doesn't have a search site like OverDrive's. (You may have to visit your local librarian even if the search shows OverDrive support, because they may have to provide you with a password.)

jj2me

wanpakumono wrote:One thing on Audiobooks: Before you sync them to your Sansa, change the "Genre" tag to "Audiobook" The Sansa will then remember where you last left off (bookmark). This is great for those large single-file audiobooks from netlibrary or overdrive.

Alternatively, you can just force the loading program (like OverDrive Media Console) to load the files into the Fuze's "Audiobooks" folder. OverDrive, by default, doesn't do this--it puts audiobooks in the Fuze's "Music" folder.

It's either-or. The Fuze sees audio content as an Audiobook if either each file is tagged "Audiobook" (singular) or the files are placed in folder "Audiobooks" (plural). Similarly for Podcasts: either tag "Podcast" or place in folder "Podcasts".

Barakitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Barakitty

I love my 8 GB Fuze. Sound's clear, records lecture well (better to Rockbox it for that so you can record straight to MP3), menus are easy to use, and it fits most anywhere I need to put it.

However, the plastic used on the outer screen scratches really easily. I'm thinking of trying to buff it with tooth paste and then immediately putting a screen protector over it.

Anyone got any tips before I do something rash?

Barakitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Barakitty
gypsydiva wrote:Does anyone know if this has an equalizer? Or can you reduce the base?

In the default firmware it provides different equalizer modes but no adjustable equalizer per se.

You can Rockbox it and get a fully controllable equalizer that way.

sarahsaturn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahsaturn

How's the video on this?

jj2me

bsmith1 wrote:It's difficult to make a small AM antenna that'd fit inside such a dinky device. (and actually get a signal)

LambertJohn wrote:How do you know that? Are you an engineer? Did you help design the Fuze? My guess is no and that you're just spewing a lot of nonsense.

This is 2010, not 1978. The antenna inside the Fuze is actually quite powerful and does a fine job of picking up a signal. How do I know...cause I am an engineer and I work with small amplified devices like this all the time.

Next time you just throw unfounded statements out there about topics you don't know about, do some research and actually learn about what you're talking about. Do it!

Uh, wow. You do know there is no AM antenna in the Fuze, right? And that the FM antenna on the Fuze is the headphone wire? Not an internal "powerful" (sic) antenna. Read other earlier posts that explain the reason not many small devices support AM. Like this one below:

wherever99 wrote:AM radio operates at 100 times lower frequency, so several components, such as capacitors, have to be larger. The headphone cord doesn't make a very good antenna at that wavelength, so AM radios typically use a ferrite rod for the antenna, which can't be made very small. Also, AM doesn't have the intrinsic noise suppression of FM, so you get get more interference from nearby digital devices, including the processor in the player itself.

In short, it's too hard to make them small enough, and the antenna is more of a problem.

keybond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keybond
cmkern22 wrote:Can someone explain why AM radio is never included on these type of devices?

AM Radio is low frequency; Transmitted in long waveforms which require large antennas (long wire). In portable radios these wires are typically a very fine wire coiled on a rod. The smallest of these rods are much thicker than an mp3 player. Look at the Sports Walkman to see what is about the smallest practical AM receiver.

mercedes1531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mercedes1531

I have downloaded tons of books from my library website.

mercedes1531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mercedes1531
gypsydiva wrote:Does anyone know if this has an equalizer? Or can you reduce the base?

yes it has an equalizer.

ljokerl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ljokerl
Barakitty wrote:In the default firmware it provides different equalizer modes but no adjustable equalizer per se.

You can Rockbox it and get a fully controllable equalizer that way.

There's a 'user' setting in the stock firmware's equalizer options that gives you a fully customizable 5-band eq.

That said, the rockbox equalizer is still much better.

tatterbits

OK for the Shuffle comments..mine is randomly playing music.. very few times has it played the same artist, let along song twice, today...**dancing to Lion and the Cobra**

:D

I love my Sansa!!

robtor1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robtor1

I really want to get this. The only problem is the one I bought a year ago, despite all it's been through, is still working wonderfully.

tatterbits

robtor1 wrote:I really want to get this. The only problem is the one I bought a year ago, despite all it's been through, is still working wonderfully.

Back up.. I am in the same dilemma.. I have the clip and now the 8gig Fuze.. but I really want this one too.

Oh, and both are working fantastically....

247shoppr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 247shoppr
RandomAcronym wrote:http://www.audible.com/

Most public libraries have digital audiobook titles that can be downloaded for FREE!

flight815kitsune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flight815kitsune

In my bra. But normally, I have a pocket.

Got a 2gb in January, love the thing. I abuse my things, so my screen has a crack and a few light scratches. In for this, can't beat it for the price.

dundey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dundey
Assassin15 wrote:I've wondered for years, do Sansas require Rhapsody, or can you use any media player (Windows Media, iTunes, etc.)?

I've used windows media, but it also Works great with Media Monkey. No need for Rhap

gardog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gardog
Barakitty wrote:I love my 8 GB Fuze. Sound's clear, records lecture well (better to Rockbox it for that so you can record straight to MP3), menus are easy to use, and it fits most anywhere I need to put it.

However, the plastic used on the outer screen scratches really easily. I'm thinking of trying to buff it with tooth paste and then immediately putting a screen protector over it.

Anyone got any tips before I do something rash?

I have done this multiple times on my Sansa e-series. No issues at all.

kogaku

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kogaku
KaneRobot wrote:I have had zero problems with the stock Sansa Media Converter.

How could anyone be that lucky?

Unless...

Teela Brown is a real person?

Paging Larry Niven...

kogaku

radi0j0hn wrote:Legally? New releases or classics?

Gutenberg.org has some read by amateurs that are free. Some torrent sites have the "other" variety.

LibriVox!

kogaku

Celes247 wrote:DONT GIVE THIS TO YOUR KIDS! I bought one and tested it on a hunch, it is HIGHLY LEADED!

No offense, but I'd question the validity of the test before I'd accept this as the first known case of rubberized plastic being loaded with lead.

False-positives are VERY common in all sorts of chemical/biological tests. MANY cats have been needlessly killed because of false-positive results from FIV tests. One of our cats tested positive and the vet wanted to kill her, and hinted at killing her brother too. Due to the circumstances through which we rescued the both of them, I knew that true FIV+ was about as remote a possibility as winning the lottery twice in a row.

Nevertheless, the vet was adamant. I then told her to send off for the putatively more reliable "Western Blot" test (having to research on my own to find a lab that would do it, since the vet already had her mind made up). Well, THAT test came back positive too -- "proving" to the vet that she really, really, really did have FIV.

However, I knew that even the Western Blot FIV test was prone to false-positives. The only REAL test (of viral load, rather than antibodies) was something at that time (and possibly this time too) not available to mere mortals.

So, I said thank you very much and took my cat home -- to die, according to the vet, who insisted that while she may "seem" healthy now, she soon be dead, as would every other cat in proximity to her.

This was several years ago, and the cat remains healthy like the proverbial horse, as does everyone whose been in contact with her.

With that as a benchmark of some kind, reflect upon the fact that an OTC test kit is not likely to be MORE accurate than 1) a restricted-to-vets office test kit, and, 2) a specialized lab test.

If you are REALLY concerned, I'd suggest scraping off some of that rubberized coating and sending it in to a real lab for a real analysis.

And, if you're STILL concerned in the least... just scrape it off! I removed the coating from the back of my "silver" Fuze because it was abrading off in my shirtpocket and looked unsightly. After scraping it off with my fingernail, I have a nice shiny stainless steel back. I have NO fear of stainless steel bearing lead, because the two metals do not alloy.

RandomAcronym

This is my first Woot!,and I was wondering when I should expect to get my Fuze? (I'm in the mid-west)

crapolaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crapolaman
jj2me wrote:Alternatively, you can just force the loading program (like OverDrive Media Console) to load the files into the Fuze's "Audiobooks" folder. OverDrive, by default, doesn't do this--it puts audiobooks in the Fuze's "Music" folder.

It's either-or. The Fuze sees audio content as an Audiobook if either each file is tagged "Audiobook" (singular) or the files are placed in folder "Audiobooks" (plural). Similarly for Podcasts: either tag "Podcast" or place in folder "Podcasts".

I doubt if anyone is still reading this thread, but just in case....

If I put podcasts into the folder "Podcasts", will Fuze resume at the place I left off at?

lsandy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lsandy
RandomAcronym wrote:This is my first Woot!,and I was wondering when I should expect to get my Fuze? (I'm in the mid-west)

Woot ships either fed-ex ground or smartpost. My experience has been that smart post has taken between a week to 2 1/2 weeks after it leaves the warehouse.

The fuzes shipped smartpost as indicated by the picture of the snail in woot's blog posting.

RandomAcronym

lsandy wrote:Woot ships either fed-ex ground or smartpost. My experience has been that smart post has taken between a week to 2 1/2 weeks after it leaves the warehouse.

The fuzes shipped smartpost as indicated by the picture of the snail in woot's blog posting.

That's a little long,Guess I've been spoiled by free 2-day shipping from amazon prime already! ;)

conogo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conogo

Five days have past, is it going to be shipped soon