unregistered

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unregistered

I bought one of these a couple years ago from woot.

It still works fine. The battery that comes with it is a POS. It is a use it or lose it battery. Don't let it sit unused for even a couple weeks or it will diminish significantly until it just won't hold a charge. I bought a replacement on ebay that is far superior to the OEM.

Water and vinegar works fine but be aware that vinegar is acidic and will break down the grout of tile after a while. I use a very diluted solution of Simple Green and water. It works very well, is environmentally friendly as well as economical. Plain water works too.

With the exception of the OEM POS battery, I am very happy with mine. There is a little primer bulb that comes with. You have to use it before it's first run. Hang on to it because occasionally you will have to use it to unclog that passageway. These are well built units. Less troublesome than the Roombas. They are slow. Mine will do the Kitchen dinning area and both baths on one charge. OEM battery would do about 2/3 of that. I have only used mine on tile. Hardwoods and laminates get Swiffered.

Judy321

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Judy321

I bought one of these off of Wott when they first had them several years ago. My scooba wasn't that easy to use, and died after about five uses. After many attempts, my DH-who-can-fix-anything declared it unfixable and we threw it away.

The concept is great, but I only want a Scooba if the execution has improved in the past few years.

bduchouq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduchouq

As an experienced Scooba owner, this does not seem like a great deal. I'd be more interested in the Evolution Robotics Mint Automatic Hard Floor Cleaner, 4200 (at Amazon) for $70 more than this. Costco used to sell the Scooba 350 for $199. This model never received the same reviews as the 350. I'd say it was a good deal if they were offering the Scooba 350 at this price since the 350 covers a larger area.

epatriot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epatriot
Judy321 wrote:I bought one of these off of Wott when they first had them several years ago.

I can't find the wott site.

Swayde

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Swayde

How well does it clean grout for tile floors?

Lucky Purchaser of 3 Random Craps...
4/1/2011
9/22/2010
8/20/2010

alisonwithoneL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alisonwithoneL
Jjona5 wrote:This model isn't on the current model lineup for iRobot. So I guess it's safe to assume it has been discontinued.

Nope - this is the Scooba 330, which is a current model.

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2371402&cp=2804605.3334444.2174932&s=A-UnitRank-IRBT&parentPage=family

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill
alisonwithoneL wrote:Nope - this is the Scooba 330, which is a current model.

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2371402&cp=2804605.3334444.2174932&s=A-UnitRank-IRBT&parentPage=family

Nope, it's the base model:

http://store.irobot.com/comparison/index.jsp?categoryId=2174932&prodList=pid_2666938.2371402.2666937.

I got this last time it was on Woot (maybe a month or two ago)and it does a decent job...........better than I do with a mop but there will be the occasion that you'll have to manually mop.........like when our rugrat spilled lemonaid on the tile and it got nice and sticky. The mess had to be soaked to reduce the stickiness and viscosity.

I use straight distilled vinegar but I think I'll start diluting it in a 1:6 ratio with tap water:

"2
Mix six parts of warm water to one part distilled white vinegar in a bucket or sink. Vinegar disinfects and acts as an insect repellant when used as a cleaner. The solution should not be strong enough to leave a vinegar odor on dry floors.

Read more: How to clean a tile floor | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2151327_clean-tile-floor.html#ixzz11ChZWnLx"

lindyp330

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lindyp330

I have owned a Roomba for a few years and the Scooba for a little over one year. I have wall to wall tile floor in my 800 square foot house. Roomba cleans the floor in the living room and then while he is working in the bedroom Scooba starts in on the living room. I use a hand-held Cone Dirt Devil to clean a couple corners if needed. As a team, and with some supervision, they perform beautifully. I am so much happier with their performance over my own with a broom and mop. The most important thing I have learned over the years is to CLEAN the robots before setting them to work. They are sophisticated machines the have several feedback systems and without adequate information they misbehave. Clean your robot friend after it performs its duties and you will be very happy with the results. And speaking of feedback, don't forget to tell your robotic friends that they did a good job. Everybody likes a pat on the servos once in a while.

kristalenoire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristalenoire

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R4BYT4/ref=pe_20100_17090670_snp_dp

Just thought I'd mention it. probably not the correct forum but anyway...,

eli2005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eli2005

I bought one of these last Woot and I am dramatically disappointed. It is so much dumber than my roomba. It mops and mops loudly and wetly until the tank runs out, it doesn't know when it has finished my small kitchen, nor are the heuristics for cleaning very advanced. It goes in a circle until it hits something and then it goes straight. IF I let it loose in the living room it will give one 2 x 3 square about seventeen passes and hopefully hit the rest of the 12 x 12 room once, some spots not at all.

If I let it go until the tank runs out, there are still spots in my 10x10 kitchen that it hasn't mopped. Additionally the (hardwood) floor is covered in water, so I have to be home when I run this, so I can mop up the water when it is done. It is much louder than my roomba so sitting there while it mops is trying. Drying the kitchen on my hands and knees afterward really drives home the point that I could've done it myself in 15 minutes with a spray bottle and a rag rather than sitting there listening to the irritating whine for 45 minutes and then getting on my hands a knees anyway.

acraigl

quality posts: 57 Private Messages acraigl

I have one of these -- for about 2 years now. The only thing I replaced on it was the battery, and that was pretty recently.

This thing does a great job and is actually lower maintenance than my Roomba. We all know it's not great on corners or against walls, so I do a quick pass with a Swiffer wet jet on these areas.

I hate -- no detest -- mopping, so I see the Scooba as a real win in my house.

Recommend.

dorriscc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dorriscc

Mine has been doing a wonderful job on my kitchen floor for over two years. When this one finally wears out it will be replaced ASAP.

shoehornhands

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shoehornhands

does the square deal warranty cover the battery? I tried to find it, but couldn't.

lindyp330

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lindyp330

BTW: In the few years that I have owned iRobot products, I have always kept them plugged in on the base except when they are working. I have never replaced a battery and never experienced reduced battery life. Two friends with Roombas for more than a year have the same experience.
Also, I use the Clorox Scooba solution and it works very well on my tile and grout. The iRobot company has periodic sales when you can get a year's supply at a reduced rate with free shipping.

canadaduck22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages canadaduck22

I got one of these last time and my wife absolutely loves it. It does have some quirks but once you get them ironed out, you have a great mopping robot.

P.S.
After you buy three, you need to be able to tell them apart. Might I suggest clothing them?

http://www.myroombud.com/

cstrom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cstrom

I actually own 3 of these and have had them for about 3 years. I would never use anything else.

These clean my floors better than any product I have tried. When I had my hardwood floors installed they told me the manufacturere recommends Bona cleaner and actually gave me the cleaner and then mop that goes with it. They were terrible! It left residue so that as soon as someone walked on the floor, it left footprints everywhere (I have dark cherry floors). The scooba leaves no residue at all. I recently hired a service to clean my house a few times over the summer and they were cleaning my floors by hand (I did actually see them do it). I ran my scooba afterwards and you would not believe the dirt it picked up. I think it is due to the fact that scooba ONLY uses clean water on the floor at all times. I also use scooba on my tile. I love it best for my hardwood floors though. I have also put this in the bottom of my tile shower.

Don't hesitate to buy this if you are considering it. Just have patience and realize they take maintenance!! Don't think this is a product that you can just turn on and go. It takes cleaning and replacement parts, but I love it because it cleans better than anything else.

cstrom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cstrom
richnorto wrote:The Roomba batteries I have had - blue - run 2 full missions when new. You can run in the morning and still have a run left in the evening when you get home without growing a homebrew of germs in the tank. Granted, after a year or so, you may be down to 1.5 tanks per run. Just keep the tanks CLEAN and dry (flaps open) and don't let the batteries sit charging and this will work for years! You may need to look into priming the pump as it appears this set does not come with that one important piece of equipment - a rubber bulb! Ebay!

That rubber bulb is actually just a nasal aspirator. You ccn get one at any store that sells baby stuff (Target, Walmart). That is what I have been using. If the hole is a little too small, just cut a tiny bit off the tip of the aspirator.

texaskitty2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages texaskitty2
haydesigner wrote:I'm curious about this as well. We just got laminate installed a month ago, and were told that Bona was _the_ best thing to clean it with... can Bona be used with this Roomba?

Well the official line from irobot is no. They say it could damage the internal parts, true??? IDK, but I wouldn't want to take a chance with harming the expensive robot.
I bought the hard floor cleaner from the irobot site. It works well, but then again so does plain warm water. My brother used the vinegar and said it worked well, but his kids hated the smell.I have not tried the clorox cleaner and at $49/bottle I probably won't.

texaskitty2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages texaskitty2
lindyp330 wrote:BTW: In the few years that I have owned iRobot products, I have always kept them plugged in on the base except when they are working. I have never replaced a battery and never experienced reduced battery life. Two friends with Roombas for more than a year have the same experience.
Also, I use the Clorox Scooba solution and it works very well on my tile and grout. The iRobot company has periodic sales when you can get a year's supply at a reduced rate with free shipping.

I too keep my robots plugged in at all times. I think the trick to long battery life is the initial 16 hour charge prior to the first use. irobot also says to allow the battery to completely drain every few months and fully recharge again. So far so good.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/woomba/229062/

Woomba ad. (There is a commercial before it runs.)

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

xdavex

quality posts: 16 Private Messages xdavex
wjbird wrote:Man created the grand caynon? REALLY?

Yes, it was when my boss dropped a penny into a shallow ditch...

tn66873

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tn66873
KevinSGreen wrote:I've owned one of these since a Woot-off some years back. I love it. It does a better job mopping that I ever could. Doesn't leave lots of dirty water behind. And, despite the official line, it has never harmed my Pergo laminated floor.

Two thumbs and two big toes up on this item.

Since this thing is round I bet your corners mess.

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter

Roomba doesn't make a vacuum that's worth buying. If you want a toy, get one. If you want a vacuum, try Dyson or Kirby.

Cenamenya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cenamenya

I bought this when it was on Woot a few weeks ago. Simply stated, The Scooba is my HERO!!! My floors have never looked more clean, an inattentive armadillo can use this thing, and if the battery life in the long run is the only thing I have to worry about, that's otterific. I bought a bottle of the Enzyme cleaner from iRobot for $6.99 and it will go a LONG way since you use a tiny capful for a full tank. Love this little guy.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I bought a Scooba. It cleaned the (small) kitchen floor POORLY four times before the pump quit!

These things are total crap. Hire someone to do it!

(I have a Roomba that is useless too.)

birdgrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdgrrl

Hi Wooters, I just ordered one of these honeys to be sent to my parents' PO box. Anyone have any experience with that? Normally my Woot orders have arrived via FedEx. But FedEx doesn't ship to the PO, I don't think. Just wondering if I need to change the address to their workplace? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

TiHara

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TiHara
birdgrrl wrote:Hi Wooters, I just ordered one of these honeys to be sent to my parents' PO box. Anyone have any experience with that? Normally my Woot orders have arrived via FedEx. But FedEx doesn't ship to the PO, I don't think. Just wondering if I need to change the address to their workplace? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

FedEx will only deliver to a PO box if it is via SmartPost. The FedEx guy in my small town knows my street address because I get so much stuff delivered by them. Also my little Post Office knows me and will hold a package for me if it has a street address. We have no mail boxes in this town, so I usually order by my PO box, which is fine unless it is shipped by UPS or FedEx "SmartPost"

The problem with the battery being overcharged seems to have been fixed. I felt the battery after it showed full charge and it was not warm.

birdgrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdgrrl
TiHara wrote:FedEx will only deliver to a PO box if it is via SmartPost. The FedEx guy in my small town knows my street address because I get so much stuff delivered by them. Also my little Post Office knows me and will hold a package for me if it has a street address. We have no mail boxes in this town, so I usually order by my PO box, which is fine unless it is shipped by UPS or FedEx "SmartPost"

ok, so they will deliver to the PO you think? and thanks for your reply!

delainap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delainap

I bought one of these from another site. It's too much set-up, too much cleaning of the scooba itself, and they really have to be supervised. Mine started dumping water on the floor and then wouldn't dump any on the floor. I stuck it in a closet, then sold it off for parts. I really wouldn't recommend the scooba for anything but washing a floor with no area rugs. If you put it in a small space, you will have to go turn it off after it's washed the entire floor, if you filled the tank full.
I also had a dirt dog, which I received as a reward. While it worked, it was great. But I was facing battery replacement, before I sold it off for parts.
They both would get stuck on things, and God help you if you have area rugs with heavy furniture on them.
I got myself a steamfast floor steamer. All you need is filtered water. Much less cheaper and they clean just as well. It heats up in seconds and it's easy to use.
All you really need is a good vacuum, floor steamer and maybe a cordless sweeper that your child can use for quick clean up.

Stevenp2510

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stevenp2510

Will keep clean floors clean.

Stevenp2510

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stevenp2510
texaskitty2 wrote:Well the official line from irobot is no. They say it could damage the internal parts, true??? IDK, but I wouldn't want to take a chance with harming the expensive robot.
I bought the hard floor cleaner from the irobot site. It works well, but then again so does plain warm water. My brother used the vinegar and said it worked well, but his kids hated the smell.I have not tried the clorox cleaner and at $49/bottle I probably won't.

Surprised a wooter would only find the amazon price when you can get the clorox solution much cheaper (4$ when you buy 6). Do it, it is by far the best.

dashendorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dashendorf

Does this work well with "bona?"

Tufflaw

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Tufflaw

I love my Scooba - I always run it right after we run the Roomba and they both work great. Had to replace the roomba battery after not using it for a while, found it cheap on ebay. SCooba is still working fine. Used up the Scooba solution a long time ago, now I use 2 oz. of distilled white vinegar and the rest lukewarm tap water. Shake it a little bit to distribute the vinegar or it won't start.

n44nc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages n44nc
bduchouq wrote: I'd be more interested in the Evolution Robotics Mint Automatic Hard Floor Cleaner, 4200 (at Amazon) for $70 more than this.

This thing looks like a giant motorized Swiffer. I wouldn't pay $250 for one of those. There is however a modification that is sold for Roombas that turns your Roomba into a motorized Swiffer. I'd go that route for sure or Scooba 350.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

tommy2rs

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tommy2rs
wjbird wrote:Man created the grand caynon? REALLY?

Hey, everyone knows the Grand Canyon was created the night Babe the Blue Ox got into Paul Bunyan's beer stash. Since even with a giant blue ox beer is only rented, the outflow from Babe's overindulgence resulted in the Grand Canyon.

There is no connection between Babe being blue and the Scooba being blue. No matter what those conspiracy theorists think.

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -- Randal Graves, "Clerks"

TiHara

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TiHara
birdgrrl wrote:ok, so they will deliver to the PO you think? and thanks for your reply!

If I were you, I would write Woot and either tell them to change the address, or tell them to ship it by FedEx SmartPost. They may have changed it to SmartPost already, that's how mine was shipped to my PO Box. It just usually takes longer.

cobaltgrl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cobaltgrl

The problem with these robots is that the batteries have a definite lifespan, whether or not you use them and they are 50 dollars each. I think a battery is good for one year - so if you store the robot for a year, you have to buy a new battery to use it again - this was what the company customer service told me.

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill
roadhunter wrote:Roomba doesn't make a vacuum that's worth buying. If you want a toy, get one. If you want a vacuum, try Dyson or Kirby.

We have a Dyson and it's been sitting in the closet ever since I got my Roomba army.

bufbandit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bufbandit

I bought a Roomba for my wife for her birthday back in May. I was so impressed with it I wanted a dirt dog for my shop and garage for my birthday. My wife bought me it for my birthday and I am not disappointed. I just bought the scooba for my wife from woot for Christmas. The woot deal seems to be a good bargin. Hope we make it 3 for 3 in loving these products.

azheelshock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azheelshock

You're better off tying a wet rag to a child's remote control car. It will last longer and get your floor cleaner. Both our Roomba and Scooba got returned to Sears.