omgwin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages omgwin
JEmlay wrote:While zen are better then bucky, neo cube are even better then zen.

That pretty much puts bucky in their place. THE BOTTOM!!!!

Zen did a comparison with neocube back when they had oversize. Neocube is is better than bucky, but not better than zen. http://zenmagnets.com/index.php?p=1_9

@Whoever said the pictures of jake were not already in the public domain. Check out thebuckyballs.net. Tons of pics.

I'm sure plenty of you guys have buckyballs from the previous woot. What are the results of the rigid stick test?

I can't tell if my set of buckys is better than the one in the video, but it's far from perfectly straight.

effro88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages effro88

bought two pair (four total sets) last time they were on Woot!... I LOVE THEM!!! great for either mindless play or serious thinking creativity...
but as gregbowman said earlier... yes even adults feel the need to put these in their mouths so be careful!!!

sirlouie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sirlouie
omgwin wrote:What are the results of the rigid stick test?

I can't tell if my set of buckys is better than the one in the video, but it's far from perfectly straight.

I tested one set of my Buckyballs from the previous Woot! (since they're sitting next to me), and mine was actually very close to straight - I had a very slight curvature, but it was more akin to how the Zen magnets looked rather than the Buckyballs they showed. Guess I got a good batch.

-SL

wgrant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wgrant

Will they fit in a bb gun?

Ask4Fish

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ask4Fish
KEEP AWAY FROM ALL CHILDREN! Do not put in nose or mouth. Swallowed magnets can stick together across intestines causing serious infections and death. Seek medical attention if magnets are swallowed or inhaled. Buckyballs should be kept away from electrical or magnetic devices, including but not limited to credit cards, hard drives, or pacemakers. If a Buckyball should become damaged or cracked, discontinue use immediately.

Do not taunt Buckyballs.

stefaniejoy03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stefaniejoy03

In for two sets, everyone in my family will be getting a cube in their stocking this year. Goodbye packets of tissues and PEZ dispensers!

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
ttcarter wrote:Thanks for this, Tim! Hopefully Woot read your fine post and in the interest of not rewarding "jerkism", they will offer Zen magnets so I can order them, since I won't order Buckyballs now that I know their CEO is such a tool.

Following the Zen Magnets listed on deals.woot.com took me to the ZenMagnets site; the discount code still works. A search of retailmenot.com, my favorite source for discount codes, turned up even more discount codes found on the ZenMagnet's site for all their magnetic ball sets.

So if you just can't wait for woot to offer the Zen Magnets, or you want a different size set, take a look at those. The sets woot has here are still cheaper, but now you can make an informed decision.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645

i bought 3 - 2 packs last time (silver ones)

2 were gonna be a gift for my bro-in law for xmas, but he snooped in the woot box before i had a chance to stop him.

i said "merry christmas Frankensteiner. u better get me something good for snooping and getting your present 3 months early."

i made the cool snowflake with one set, made a target on the fridge with another and still have 2 sets in the boxes.

paulpnevada

sirlouie wrote:I tested one set of my Buckyballs from the previous Woot! (since they're sitting next to me), and mine was actually very close to straight - I had a very slight curvature, but it was more akin to how the Zen magnets looked rather than the Buckyballs they showed. Guess I got a good batch.

You could sort them by size, buy additional sets if needed, and give the sorted sets as gifts. Or make separate figures/shapes to keep them from getting mixed.

If you have an unlimited amount of free time and endless patience bordering on OCD, that is.

eye95

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eye95
sirlouie wrote:I tested one set of my Buckyballs from the previous Woot! (since they're sitting next to me), and mine was actually very close to straight - I had a very slight curvature, but it was more akin to how the Zen magnets looked rather than the Buckyballs they showed. Guess I got a good batch.

I detected no curvature at all. None.

I call BS on the stick test.

Folks, it's a video made by someone with a dog in the fight. Why on earth would you put any credibility in it????

Critical thinking skills!

My Bucky Balls show zero signs of inconsistent size, show zero signs of loss of finish, and pass that silly "stick test" with flying colors. I have been fiddling with my balls since the last time Woot! two-for-Tuesdayed them.

Paying more just because someone selling another brand made a video claiming that theirs are better is silly.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
dcrawl wrote:There is a Magnet War going on between BuckyBalls and Zen Magnets.

Check out this video from Zen Magnets that plays the kinda rude voice mail that buckyballs left to Zen Magnets, and then watch the Zen Magnets people do science!

Yeah, I saw this a few weeks ago. It's unfortunate really, because that's enough to keep me from taking advantage of this Woot. I don't want to do business with a company (Buckyballs) that has to resort to legal threats to hide the shame of an inferior product.

tawni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tawni

I never thought this would happen but I was driven by the buckyballs CEO to purchase from zen magnets. Yes, I know corporations are evil for the most part but every little action helps.

ajo41992

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajo41992

Family Christmas shoppping: done. Got myself a regular set last year and everyone loved them.

paulpnevada

wgrant wrote:Will they fit in a bb gun?

Maybe, depends on how you define 'fit'.

5mm is .20 caliber and BB guns are .177 caliber (BB is a shot size), air rifles are also pretty commonly found in .22 caliber, but Beeman does make a .20 caliber pellet rifle but it is designed for lead pellets only. I am betting that you would damage the rifling if you forced it in a .20 caliber air gun and would get no usable accuracy if you used it in a .22 air gun.

And I have to wonder what the purpose would be of doing that?

They make an interesting desk toy, I don't see any reason to try to make them into something they are not.

jrhiggin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrhiggin
mdgore wrote:Same price as Amazon with super saver shipping. So where's the deal here? What's up with WOOT! anyways? They haven't had any really good deals for a couple of years now. scour the web, and you can find the same deal or even better on most of woots offerings. the worm has turned......

Amazon owns Woot.

roddgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roddgrady

If someone swallowed one of these balls, how long would they have to wait before they could safely eat another?

Redstararmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Redstararmy
eye95 wrote:I detected no curvature at all. None.

I call BS on the stick test.

Folks, it's a video made by someone with a dog in the fight. Why on earth would you put any credibility in it????

Critical thinking skills!

My Bucky Balls show zero signs of inconsistent size, show zero signs of loss of finish, and pass that silly "stick test" with flying colors. I have been fiddling with my balls since the last time Woot! two-for-Tuesdayed them.

Paying more just because someone selling another brand made a video claiming that theirs are better is silly.

smart

ebear88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebear88
tumes wrote:Would you like some ridiculous internet drama with your purchase this morning?

Zen Magnets vs. Buckyballs

Welcome to the party, that video has only been posted about 50 times

milafit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milafit
The Tim wrote:

That said, it is worth noting that the Buckyballs CEO seems to be a bit of a jerk. Had I seen that story before buying mine, I probably would have elected not to support a company that participates in such petty threats.

~*~

Thanks to you and everyone else who posted this video. I'm not going to support this company after seeing that and I'll wait out for Zen Magnets. I don't mind waiting or paying a little more to help the underdog.

paulpnevada

novastarj wrote:Wouldn't surprise me to see Zen Magnets offering something on deals.woot today, after they wake up and get wind of the good press they've gotten here.

I think I'll wait till noon, or at least till the button starts bouncing... if Zen offers a deal I'll go for them, otherwise Buckyballs (as much as it tears at my heart, it IS a good deal).

Here you go.

http://www.zenmagnets.net/zen-magnets-discount-code

rattmobbins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rattmobbins
jstaninny wrote:I don't think he's the CEO... the CEO is here:
www.getbuckyballs.com/gives

Strange. So who's the gremlin in the Zen Magnets video???

smoaksmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smoaksmom

Why not just sell a bucket of glass? The warning is hilarious to me.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ciabelle wrote:Yes, but buying 216 of those magnets will set you back around $80,000 plus shipping! And I bet they'd be at least twice as tricky to get into a cube!

/facetious

But you could build a house to live in and would no longer need the tinfoil hat you wear!
;)

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
mdgore wrote:Same price as Amazon with super saver shipping. So where's the deal here? What's up with WOOT! anyways? They haven't had any really good deals for a couple of years now. scour the web, and you can find the same deal or even better on most of woots offerings. the worm has turned......

Internet buttafuoco?

Amazon.com:
Black $34.95/ea.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bucky-Balls-Earth-Magnet/dp/B003TQ5DI6

Gold $34.92/ea.
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bucky-Balls-Earth-Magnet/dp/B003TTHBGU

What's all the hullaballoo anyway. These look much cooler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZnmvjXjo0&NR=1

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

rattmobbins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rattmobbins
omgwin wrote:What are the results of the rigid stick test?

My stick is pretty rigid. And straight. But it does have a slight curve to the left...

OH! My buckyballs stick is almost as straight as the zen magnets stick. For half price I don't think one can complain too much about them not being PERFECT. They're pretty close, and they're fun.

ckeilah

Lakemen wrote:Who are you that you registered an account just now to defend Buckyballs?

Successfull companies threatening people for daring to compare their products is just barbaric.

Interesting that mylar220's original post got removed. Does that mean that The BuckyBalls guys are spamming the woot forum??? If so, does that mean that this sale will be CANCELLED, and all orders refunded? Woot used to not take kindly to vendors messing about in the forum without clearly identifying themselves. Has Amazon ownership changed this?

reperez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reperez
lobbydizzle wrote:I don't get this, but I like it!

Because they are black and gold, Steelers colors.

psbrett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psbrett
rattmobbins wrote:My stick is pretty rigid. And straight. But it does have a slight curve to the left...

Looks like you need to see a doctor. Hey-oh!

alcimedes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alcimedes

I bought two sets of two last time Woot had them on sale, and they've very addicting to play with. To address some misc. comments I saw in the comments thread.

1. I play with them constantly while at work, making all sorts of weird shapes etc., snapping them together, taking them apart. So far only one has lost that outer metallic shell. The rest appear fine.

2. Yes, it's tempting to put these in your mouth. I don't know why. However, in my case my two front teeth are posted into my jaw with titanium (alloy) screws, so the things will attach to the back of my front teeth where the posts are. It feels really weird.

3. Computers, phones, flash drives etc. seem to not care about these things at all. So far no damage/data loss, and they're floating around my computers regularly. Disassemble a hard drive some time and check out the massive magnets you pull out. These things are nothing compared to those, you'll be fine.

teachmom3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teachmom3

Geez, just reading the warning makes it scary enough. Can't even put them under the tree for fear they'll destroy all the other Christmas presents. Then to read some of the comments made here -- why would anyone buy them? Even adults find it irrisistable to put them in their mouths??!

jpbjpbnet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jpbjpbnet

In for three! In for three last time, love them. Plus, you can feed them one a day to the howling dog next door and...oh..oops..nevermind. Just kidding there....

moxiequz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moxiequz
teachmom3 wrote:Geez, just reading the warning makes it scary enough. Can't even put them under the tree for fear they'll destroy all the other Christmas presents.

Breaking News: Ravenous Buckyballs Rampage Through Suburban Home - devour Christmas tree, presents and family of five. More after this commercial break.

Antranik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Antranik

ROFL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Tka4NUmUo

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
smoaksmom wrote:Why not just sell a bucket of glass? The warning is hilarious to me.

You made me immediately think of Johnny Switchblade! But Johnny Human Torch is more seasonally appropriate.

It's really too bad that classic SNL skits seem to only be available in transcript form. Who should I hate about that?

hensonj7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hensonj7

Been waiting for these to come back again. They can hold up the fabric to the top of my old truck + give me something to do when waiting for School buses, red lights, etc.

sirlouie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sirlouie
eye95 wrote:I detected no curvature at all. None.

Just to be thorough, here's a picture of my balls: <-- best quote ever

Note the very slight bump at about the 6" mark. They're totally acceptable for me, though. My point was that the curvature I saw in my Buckyballs was nowhere even close to the curvature that was shown in the video of the Buckyballs. What I see is much closer to what they are saying is the Zen demo. That's all.

Also, my rigid stick drop-off point was 24-25 balls after repeated tests. No problems whatsoever.

Without a micrometer to test, I'm just as clueless as everyone else. But the bottom line is, who cares? They're still fun.

-SL

ckeilah

wootpapa wrote:If you have a young child in your home, please don't buy small magnets unless you want to pay for intestinal surgery, assuming you discover the problem in time. That's why the recommended age (14 years) is so high.

Um... actually, all of those were supposed to have been RECALLED. The only BuckyBalls that should be offered for sale now should read DO NOT GIVE TO CHILDREN (of any age).

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10251.html

TJFoxxxx

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TJFoxxxx

I bought 3 sets last time it was on 2 for Tuesday. I'm debating buying another 3.

I'm obsessed with all things magnetic.

ckeilah

ScottH61 wrote:Then again... http://www.thebuckyballs.net/craig-zucker

Good find! But you should have also mentioned the Douchiest Dude:

http://www.thebuckyballs.net/jake-bronstein

I guess BuckyBalls is a company with TWO CEOs. Is like like a beast with two backs? :-o

sezyrrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sezyrrith
rattmobbins wrote:Strange. So who's the gremlin in the Zen Magnets video???

Jake Bronstein isn't the CEO, he's the creator.
Right here you can see for yourself. It also mentions that his great skill is marketing something in such a way that it's more visible - and mentions as well that his first competitor was around before Buckyballs were, he's just better at advertising which is why you don't hear of them as often.