sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
migafre wrote:His anger is misdirected but I understand the feeling. Ever since Amazon bought woot, they are forcing woot to collect taxes for NYS. I'm sure there's other states out there as well. I already hate buying from them because of the hole tax issue. Newegg had a similar issue and finally dropped their affiliates in NY as to not have to collect taxes and they now get my business again. These are money grabbing tactics states are using to try and bolster their finances as they are in red.

The way I see it, Amazon ruined Woot for me. Period.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with whether the company has affiliates in NYS. NYS argues that simply having customers in NY entitles them to collect sales tax. In fact, one of Amazon's arguments is that it has no physical presence in NYS. It's based, in part, on Quill v North Dakota, where ND wanted Quill Corp to pay taxes even though they had no presence in the state. ND went as far as to argue that because a NND resident had a corporate training CD (or floppy disc?) from the company, it was enough of a corporate presence. The US Supreme Court ruled in favor of Quill. This case is different because Amazon is not being asked to pay taxes, but rather to collect sales tax. I'm not a lawyer and I'm describing the case from memory, but you get the gist.

If Newegg is no longer collecting sales tax from NY customers, then they are doing so under the radar, or otherwise reimbursing NY customers. It has nothing to do with affiliates.c

migafre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages migafre
sdc100 wrote:My guess is that Fumi lives in my state, New York, where legislator have passed the so-called "Amazon Tax" law. It forces out-of-state companies to collect sales tax even though the company has no physical presence in NY. Amazon (thus Woot) has a pending case against NY that is expected to reach the US Supreme Court. In the meantime, Amazon has decided to comply so as to avoid a retroactive mess in case they lose.

The pending issue is not whether NY can collect sales tax, but whether they can force an out-of-state entity to be their tax collector. Not only is Amazon unpaid for the task but charging tax will obviously drive away some customers, so doing so is a detriment to their business. I, for example, decided not to buy a computer on Woot because an 8.75% tax on a $600 item made it more expensive than what I found elsewhere.

Again, this is not Amazon or Woot's fault and they are fighting New York. If NY wins, many other states will pass their own laws. Woot is at fault, however, for NEVER having warned their customers about the tax. In fact, even now, affected customers don't learn of the tax until the very last screen. Some customers, like me, may simply click on the final button out of habit, not seeing the tax. There is NO EXCUSE for Woot not telling us about the tax on the first ordering screen (where you choose 1,2 or 3 items) since they already have our zipcodes.

A small remedy is coupon code "TAXSUCKS," where affected customers can get up to $5 back when the total order is more than $40. Texas customers have used it for years.

Very well put.

I was surprised a few months ago when I bought 3 refurb linksys routers and was charged almost 9% taxes. Woot really does need to mark on the product page under the price what states will get charged taxes. I'm sure they don't do it as it would turn some people away from the purchase. And that coupon code WOULD of come in handy for that purchase. (Atleast now I know about it)

jester5651

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jester5651

I ordered 3 pair for the women on my Christmas list. Lets me check 3 off the list without leaving my easy chair or giving it a second thought. Everyone woman can use a pair of gloves living in IL. Thanks Woot

sdc100

migafre wrote:The point is the New York State law, to my knowledge, indicates that IF you have affiliates in NYS then you need to collect taxes.

Does Woot have affiliates in NY? I'm pretty sure it's 'no'. But because they got bought by a company that does and that refuses to drop those affiliates, Woot and it's NY customers are getting screwed (Lets face it, it's mostly the customers)

No, it has nothing to do with affiliates. In fact, NY has been trying for years to collect sales tax from NYers who drive to NJ to shop at a lower tax rate. That's nearly impossible, of course, since there is no viable paper trail (especially if costumers pay by cash). And NJ vendors certainly won't force customers to give their address before paying. This internet law is known as "The Amazon Tax" because Amazon and all internet vendors have a paper trail, causing NY to pounce.

NY's argument is that if you live in NY, you have to pay sales tax on all your purchases. My remedy is simply to have my friends in NJ order stuff for me and then I'll reimburse them. And frankly, I'm so put off by the NY law that I've been ordering more stuff from Hong Kong on ebay. For electronic components, the quality is just as good and shipping amazingly fast and cheap. Let's see NY try to collect taxes from Hong Kong! hah

sdc100

migafre wrote:Very well put.

I was surprised a few months ago when I bought 3 refurb linksys routers and was charged almost 9% taxes. Woot really does need to mark on the product page under the price what states will get charged taxes. I'm sure they don't do it as it would turn some people away from the purchase. And that coupon code WOULD of come in handy for that purchase. (Atleast now I know about it)

Yeah, I know that surprise well. In fact, when I was first hit with the tax, I immediately wrote Woot to cancel the order.

The shame on Woot is that it's so easy to inform shoppers of the tax. As you've suggested, simply have some text on the ordering screen. Or add it into the Total on the first ordering screen (where you have to choose 1,2 or 3 items). They already add in the $5 shipping so why not add in the tax as well? Woot's database has our zipcode so it's easy to determine which customers must pay tax, and how much.

As for the coupon, it's only a partial solution. First, you must spend over $40 so it would not, for example, apply to these gloves, even if you buy 3 pairs. And secondly, Woot only allows one coupon per purchase. That means that if you have another coupon, you can't use "TAXSUCKS." That happened to me two months ago, when I used code, "SERENDIPITY." Still, I appreciate Woot for offering the code.

kalaharinight

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kalaharinight

About the sizing - yes, Isotoner gloves fit snugly; that's the source of the name (it's a portmanteau: "Iso" from Isometric and "toner" for the massaging that the fit is supposed to deliver). I've worn them for years, and they're meant to hug. However, if you don't happen to want your gloves to deliver a massage, I would suggest going one size up from what they recommend for this brand.

(And, if you buy two or three identical pairs, you've got replacements for the one you will inevitably lose when it falls out of your pocket...)

In for two.

[Corporate site 'splaining the name:
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/category/customer+service/about+us.do]

Really, I'm not blue, I don't have a ratty beard, and I NEVER wear pink.

sdc100

kalaharinight wrote:About the sizing - yes, Isotoner gloves fit snugly; that's the source of the name (it's a portmanteau: "Iso" from Isometric and "toner" for the massaging that the fit is supposed to deliver). I've worn them for years, and they're meant to hug. However, if you don't happen to want your gloves to deliver a massage, I would suggest going one size up from what they recommend for this brand.

(And, if you buy two or three identical pairs, you've got replacements for the one you will inevitably lose when it falls out of your pocket...)

In for two.

[Corporate site 'splaining the name:
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/category/customer+service/about+us.do]

The biggest problem with ordering a larger size is that the fingers are often too long.

sdc100

msimon129 wrote:Why no small size available?

Generally-speaking, Woot is a close-out vendor. If the small size is popular, Woot's source probably had none left before selling the remaining stock to Woot.

sammygfunx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sammygfunx

only brown and black left? ah, I should've ordered this morning instead of being a lazy wooter and biding my time. I'm hoping mom and girlfriend like brown.

sdc100

sammygfunx wrote:only brown and black left? ah, I should've ordered this morning instead of being a lazy wooter and biding my time. I'm hoping mom and girlfriend like brown.

Don't know about brown, but you know what they say, "Once you go black, you never go back..."

Mystic`

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mystic`

just moved to DC; what's up with some men's gloves?

sdc100

Mystic` wrote:just moved to DC; what's up with some men's gloves?

See my other post re: Isotoners for men, $8.99 + free s/h.

senorred

quality posts: 1 Private Messages senorred
straydog1980 wrote:My wife wears an 8 1/4 ring.... should I get the xlarge? I don't want to call her and ask her to measure.. how overcooked is that?

Also, what's wrong with woot? It won't let me get to the buy page. It keeps asking me to log in again even though I'm already logged in.

8.25 is actually a relatively average finger width. Judge based on the hand length and palm breadth rather than finger circumference.

twipps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twipps

Anyone know anything about the general finger length for these babies? I have extremely short fingers and the lack of a 'small' size is making me lean towards no, but the whole 'snug fit' thing gives me hope.

LaterAlligator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LaterAlligator

Do the Luggage gloves remind anyone else of a lumberjack?

MichaelSF

quality posts: 92 Private Messages MichaelSF
sdc100 wrote:The description sez:
Lining fiber content: 95% polyester, 5% Lycra Spandex

Ah, I'm glad they included some Lycra™ ... just in case OJ Simpson wants to murder someone in drag. And given that it's an all male prison, drag isn't out of the question when he gets frisky. I'd go for the red ones to mask any inconvenient stains.

Speaking of OJ, I want to sue him because every time I drop one of my gloves (all of em are black) I think of his bloody glove and the 1994 trial.

It's quite distressing actually. And I kid you not, if someone is with me when I drop a glove I say "Oops I pulled an OJ."

I really think the guy owes me money since I can't enjoy my gloves ever again.

Then again, the Las Vegas trial was great entertainment, so guess I'll let him off the hook.

MichaelSF

aaa121 wrote:$11 for a pair of gloves...not really much of a deal unless u need multiple pairs

The general rule on Woot is on low priced items you should buy three. That's what we all do.

It's the only way that shipping pencils out, on items like this, for example.

Besides, $23 shipped for three pairs of gloves is a deal.

wtacey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wtacey

Well I'm happy to say that I was going shopping for a pair of gloves this weekend. Got 3 pair for the price of the gas and food I would of spent.
Plus with three pairs I can lose a few .

MichaelSF

january wrote:How easy are these to clean? I might want to use these for winter gloves and if they get mud/slush/other icky stuff, I don't want to have it crusted on there next time I put them on.

Sorry... suede and WET weather do NOT go together. Just as much as you would not wear a $500 suede jacket when it's snowing, so too can't you wear suede gloves in conditions other than a dry cold.

When it's cold and wet I wear my thermal ski gloves. I look like a puff boy mor-on but I'm dry and toasty warm and I have not ruined my leather gloves.

coxj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coxj

Why offer a product when the only thing available is XL and only 2 of the colors??? guess I should have ordered sooner!!
Thanks!!

sailsagain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sailsagain
MichaelSF wrote:Speaking of OJ, I want to sue him because every time I drop one of my gloves (all of em are black) I think of his bloody glove and the 1994 trial.

It's quite distressing actually. And I kid you not, if someone is with me when I drop a glove I say "Oops I pulled an OJ."

I really think the guy owes me money since I can't enjoy my gloves ever again.

Then again, the Las Vegas trial was great entertainment, so guess I'll let him off the hook.

Hmmm... seems they're always letting him off the hook.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie

Boo, I should have checked this morning, only large blacks left.

Oh well, I think the medium was probably going to be too big for my hands anyways.

fashunblylowd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fashunblylowd

i live in buffalo...are these warm gloves?

bcgrote

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bcgrote

Golding it. Only available in Large, Black. Yay for me, boo for Xmas prezzy for my Xl, Red friend....

hotrod4x5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hotrod4x5

No shipping notice yet. 6 days... do they not count weekends?

wtacey

hotrod4x5 wrote:No shipping notice yet. 6 days... do they not count weekends?

Guess not, and the suspence if they will fit is causing me sleepless nights. Oh the drama

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hotrod4x5 wrote:No shipping notice yet. 6 days... do they not count weekends?

Nope, weekends don't count. We have to give our warehouse monkeys some time off for good behavior. The day of the sale doesn't count either because the mysterious "they" don't start processing all the sales, labels, and junk until the day after the sale closes.

Patience, grasshopper.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

aoldhippie53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aoldhippie53

No shipping notice yet after 6 days.

vespaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vespaman

still no shippy shippy?

noc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noc007
vespaman wrote:still no shippy shippy?

If I understand ThunderThighs correctly, shippy shippy will be tomorrow tomorrow.

versel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages versel
ThunderThighs wrote:Nope, weekends don't count. We have to give our warehouse monkeys some time off for good behavior. The day of the sale doesn't count either because the mysterious "they" don't start processing all the sales, labels, and junk until the day after the sale closes.

Patience, grasshopper.

Don't those warehouse monkeys realize we live in Texas--a right to work state. They don't need no stinkin' time off!

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

versel wrote:Don't those warehouse monkeys realize we live in Texas--a right to work state. They don't need no stinkin' time off!

The monkeys shall hear of your cruel attitude toward them!

Also, we just sent out the tracking for these.

wtacey

agingdragqueen wrote:The monkeys shall hear of your cruel attitude toward them!

Also, we just sent out the tracking for these.

I will sleep sound tonight!

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

wtacey wrote:I will sleep sound tonight!

Not after I told the monkeys what you said.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

Anyone up for a trade? Even though the Mediums fit, they are a little tight. I'm interested if anyone wants to trade.
I have 1 pair of black, and 1 pair of mauve in Medium size that I will trade for gloves in a Large size.
Please send me a PM.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Kewina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kewina
faughtey wrote:Anyone up for a trade? Even though the Mediums fit, they are a little tight. I'm interested if anyone wants to trade.
I have 1 pair of black, and 1 pair of mauve in Medium size that I will trade for gloves in a Large size.
Please send me a PM.

I wish I could. I ordered 2 Large and even they aren't the same size-wise. I need XL. These must be some of those Korean knockoffs (like Sam Moon) cause they don't fit anywhere close the the same thing in a regular department store. Would like to send back if it is worth it......so much for a nice stocking stuffer....

Kewina

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
Kewina wrote:I wish I could. I ordered 2 Large and even they aren't the same size-wise. I need XL. These must be some of those Korean knockoffs (like Sam Moon) cause they don't fit anywhere close the the same thing in a regular department store. Would like to send back if it is worth it......so much for a nice stocking stuffer....

I ordered a pair of Brown , Luggage and Mauve in XL and I got 3 pair of Oyster colored ones . Go figure . Himm I wonder if the Woot monkey that was filling the orders Had one two many Banana Dakeris lamo lol

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

Dewrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dewrell
Denimbear wrote:I ordered a pair of Brown , Luggage and Mauve in XL and I got 3 pair of Oyster colored ones . Go figure . Himm I wonder if the Woot monkey that was filling the orders Had one two many Banana Dakeris lamo lol

Do you want to sell one of your oyster ones?

Amy Dewrell

bkrumm1204

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkrumm1204

Awesome!!!! I got my gloves today and there is a giant gash in them. Super. I am normally a happy wooter, but today, not so much. Boo on you isotoner...so.... Do I go thru isotoner to get my money back? If not, who?

versel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages versel

A little small? Geesh, these things are munchkin sized. I bought 2 mediums and 1 large and the large fits (snugly but it fits). Gave 1 medium to my 8 year old great niece and will probably donate the other to the annual "coat, hat, gloves" collection--some poor elementary school girl is going to be rocking some suede gloves this winter.