cessna007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cessna007

will we get them before Christmas?

codeman9090

quality posts: 1 Private Messages codeman9090

Soooo, based on the video it's not really a battle. It looks like both bugs are in a race to see which one can run off the edge first.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Meh, you basically are paying for 2 nano thingies and getting the track for free. I would just go to Shack and buy the bugs. If you are an adult, you too many cookies the track. If you are buying for kids, you don't want the clutter of the track.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
Goatspunk wrote:So I looked up the youtube vid and saw this gem: Commercial

Right at 0:11, the expression on the kids face when he is apparently losing made me laugh uncontrollably.

I like the sweat band, as if watching a battery powered robot do it's thing is going to actually going to count as a form of exercise.

joel22484

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joel22484

Looks like it could be fun

rettigpd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rettigpd

These make the BEST cat toys.

ozzallos

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ozzallos

Age requirements-
if your kid still tends to stick random objects in his/her mouth, not for them. They're effectively bite sized.

As an aside, they still appear to be popular in Japan if our recent trip was any judge. And if you have any doubts about them holding a kid's interest, you may have notice a certain cartoon featuring exaggerated battles with toy tops every Saturday morning...

indetrucks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks

In for one. My strange ADHD diagnosed nephew will love this for at least an hour.

joehrule

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joehrule

So basically this is the old school electric football game, only with bugs?

Darkhorse73

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Darkhorse73

These are great cat toys - Until Patches eats one!

My Last 4 Woots
  • Crap
  • Random Crap
  • Super Random Crap
  • Super Duper Random Crap
  • sarahiki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahiki

Will the larger hex bugs fit in this thing?

bonniegibson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonniegibson
    sdc100 wrote:Yeah, but don't forget about s/h.

A better idea is to go to your local $1 store. I've found a pack of 10 AG13s for a buck. Freshness, of course, is always an issue but so far, all my Dollar Store batteries (mostly CR2025 and CR2032) have been fine.

Thanks for a very helpful post!

bvbooks

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bvbooks

I'm not sure I get it, but my kid might. Would a 12 year old geeky kinda boy like these, do you think? Confused on age ranges here.

G-Ride

quality posts: 3 Private Messages G-Ride

Are HexBugs better than OctalBugs? Can they be converted directly or do you have to convert them to Binary first?

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

Just bought this on Saturday at Costco for some friends for Xmas. My son is 11 and loves to play with these things(particularly harassing the pets with them, as they find the little bugs annoying but intriguing). About 25$ or so at Costco, so you're saving a few bucks and sales tax.

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch
    Untouchables93 wrote:Great product at a great price! One question: Are headbands coming back in style for the 8-13 year old demographic?

I'm spoiled. Where's the Like or Woot button for comments on Woot.com?!?!?

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

laineyhigg

quality posts: 20 Private Messages laineyhigg
    joel22484 wrote:Looks like it could be fun

Holy cow. Wonder how much money's in that!! (and time!)

keoten

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keoten

I question the legitimacy of the HexBug's packaging as a children's toy.

Check this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ndqB6ulsATg/TJ-YLm4jYoI/AAAAAAAAEks/aR0mFRC3vsw/s1600/HexBug+(1).jpg

Now turn the hexbug on, put it back in it's packaging and give it to your wife.

If you don't believe me, head to Radioshack and check it out yourself.

micliu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micliu

http://content.hexbug.com/nano/nano_spec_field_book_v4.pdf

Scary man, these are gonna turn into real Pokemon someday.

mvanco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mvanco

My mother bought all the kids hex bugs without a habitat. $ children ages 4, 8, and 13. They all think they are really cool. For Christmas she got them all habitats but not the battle ones because they were $30. Now I have a gift for the little ones! Bet they like mine better! Boys like things that fight... Destruction is the key to a happy boy, at least with my family...

• Woot.com~ 24x "wooted" 5x Big ol' Candy
    • Shirt.woot~ 30 shirts, 3 Hoodies
    • Kids.woot~ Nothing Yet
    • Sellout.woot~ Nothing Yet
    • Wine.woot~ Won't Deliver to my state =(

fishbrain

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishbrain

What Michael Vick would have been into had he gone nerd instead of jock.

gwendyw

quality posts: 8 Private Messages gwendyw

What's with all the "shouldn't this be at kids.woot?" posts? Get in touch with your inner child, people, before the apparations start showing up and your forced to revist all your tangled slinkies, mutilated Barbies, and blown up Gi Joes.

aarphacker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aarphacker

I am in for one. Great addition to my office and if I get tired of it I will give it to one of the kids in the neighborhood. No way woot! is going down hill after amazon bought them - I think they're getting better!

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

Amazon Reviews

@crowsnest531

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

They were selling these at the Museum of Natural History in NYC this past October. The adults were pushing the kids aside to check them out. Amazing.

Drinking Frog

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Drinking Frog

My niece and nephew have something similar (but not as complex). I pretty much lost an afternoon, staring at it in some sort of narcotic trance.

Great product!

ekconko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekconko

These things are great for cats too. They can be batted around and will correct themselves unlike other 'automatic' cat toys.

sandalwood

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sandalwood

You people with your androgenous names are making me very nervous so if any of you are related to me:

PLEASE DO NOT BUY MY KIDS THIS OR ANY OTHER BUG-RELATED TOY THING.

Thanks in advance.

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

what is the age range on this? Would my 2 year old son be able to play with this... I think he'd love it!

Vizh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vizh

The most important question I can ask before trapping myself in a house full of kids playing with these over Christmas...

How much noise do they make?

(This info should be standard on the packaging of all battery operated toys. It would save a lot of the tradional holiday screaming of "Turn that damn thing off already!")

woot4tom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot4tom

I'm wishing for a Yellow Bar so this will go away !

LBeria

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LBeria

My 12-year-old has been begging for this so you know I just HAD to get it. Actually, they're not bad -- kinda fun to watch and you get a satisfying feeling when they flip over on their backs and are "begging" you to help them.

And, yes, they have pink ones for girls too (not that you have to stereotype your children or your HexBugs).

The bigger bugs won't fit on the small bridges but they can sure stomp on the small HexBugs in the open battle areas! Some of the bigger ones will also respond to sound and come when you clap (so don't leave them next to Grandma's "Clapper" when she's ready for bed).

Purchases: Too many to track anymore but only 3 Birthday of Celebrations since 2006.

Only the good die young.... But most people are morally ambiguous which explains our random dying patterns....

Led2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Led2000

I normally find the little description funny, but this one is in bad taste.

megastar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megastar

Battle Habitat will be the new robo hamster funhouse (for shenanigans, not battles).

ElizardbethWoots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
    rettigpd wrote:These make the BEST cat toys.

That they do!
    (though I have one inbred/birth defected/brain damaged cat and I have to watch him cause the vibrations don't really deter him from trying to eat the whole bug in one gulp. It's big enough that he chokes and spits it out, but still a little scary!)

ElizardbethWoots

mattlscc wrote:what is the age range on this? Would my 2 year old son be able to play with this... I think he'd love it!

I would not recommend for a 2 year old. They are pretty tempting to chew on (and I am a 30 year old - they have squeaky rubbery parts like a toothbrush) and pose a pretty serious choking hazard.

ElizardbethWoots

Vizh wrote:The most important question I can ask before trapping myself in a house full of kids playing with these over Christmas...

How much noise do they make?

(This info should be standard on the packaging of all battery operated toys. It would save a lot of the tradional holiday screaming of "Turn that damn thing off already!")

No more than the standard... vibrating toy...

dizzsunshine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dizzsunshine

I messed up and only ordered 1 but wanted 3 and now I can't buy another with my account. HELP! I emailed CS but..........

Amdusias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amdusias
    sarahiki wrote:Will the larger hex bugs fit in this thing?

They will not fit in the track, but you can put them on the "battle pod" and they will push against each other and knock each other off, and if you have the ones with the "remote" clicker you can make them back up and turn right. (But only right).

mralbatross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mralbatross

I saw these at some outlet store. It looked like a toothbrush head with a tiny battery and the vibrate motor from a cell phone mounted on top of the toothbrush head.