Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

You like capes, right? And monkeys, too. You love Woot, of course. And your relationship with Facebook, while hard to define, certainly includes some element of attraction, however warped and unhealthy. Today all four of those obsessions collide in the most colossal Woot-screaming-monkey-pics-on-Facebook contest ever: presenting the Woot Screaming Monkey Pics on Facebook Contest!

Here's how we do:

1. First, tell Facebook that you "Like" the official Woot Facebook page, if you're the kind of lameoid who hasn't done that already.

2. Then post your goofiest, cleverest, most embarrassing, or sexiest Woot screaming monkey photos to our wall between now and Tuesday, December 14. Exotic locales! Humorous situations! Fascinating glimpses of your home decor! If it's a photo and there's a Woot screaming monkey in it, we want to see it. Monkeys of any size, shape, color, or quantity are encouraged. We're just kidding about the sexy part, though. We'll delete anything that depicts a screaming monkey in the throes of moral turpitude.

3. Voting time! Give your "Like" of approval to the hotttest monkeyshots! Exhort your friends and lackeys to "Like" our Facebook page so they can "Like" your photos! (They'll probably have to click "Just Others" to see the photos that wooters have posted.)

4. If yours is the photo (or one of the photos) that the most people like at 5 PM Central on Tuesday, December 14, you'll win something. No prizes for guessing what that prize might be...

Feel free to take a new photo or post one from your no-doubt-voluminous archive of monkey pics. Just do it before Tuesday, December 14 and you could go down in monkey history. Some might call it a pandering stab at harvesting more Facebook pals, but we call it fun!

Photo: Woot monorail by Flickr user knorby, used under a Creative Commons license.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

This feels like homework.

Nothing follows.

stevepom5460

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevepom5460

Is this a photoshop contest, or must the images be "real"?

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

Even though I've got more than few Woot Screaming Monkeys that are...uh...screaming for the chance to enter this contest, I don't "do" Facebook, so they're going to be sorely disappointed.

::::shrug::::

garaux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages garaux
taternuggets wrote:This feels like homework.

Garaux Likes this comment.

elbob1023

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elbob1023

Is there a prize? Or are you just pimping us (and our monkeys) out?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
elbob1023 wrote:Is there a prize? Or are you just pimping us (and our monkeys) out?

I can see your point. That part where it says "you'll win something" is pretty vague.

duodec

quality posts: 14 Private Messages duodec

Facebook? No Facebook. Monkeypics go here, nowhere else. Zombie Monkey and Mini-munching-Monkeys are exclusives.

Though I wonder... I will have one spare monkey after the Christmas diaspora... perhaps it would be worth stooping to joining facebook for a chance at screaming simian immortality...

Look upon my Avatar, ye whiny, and despair!

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

So a year from now, I should have my "Whatever happened to the contest results" postings ready?

Signature censored by Woot

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest
garaux wrote:Garaux Likes this comment.

DISLIKE!

@crowsnest531

Pixel8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pixel8

If I can get someone to soil themselves I will able to sleep tonight.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

So is this where I would shamelessly shill for votes for my wife's "Supermonkey" picture now up on Woot's facebook page?

duodec

quality posts: 14 Private Messages duodec

I think the contest should be here. Facebook is just so trendy. So faddish. So yesterday. So... unWoot! Here on the boards. Yes. Here.

Or the monkey gets it...

Look upon my Avatar, ye whiny, and despair!

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Is this "contest" for real?

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
duodec wrote:Facebook? No Facebook. Monkeypics go here, nowhere else. Zombie Monkey and Mini-munching-Monkeys are exclusives.

Though I wonder... I will have one spare monkey after the Christmas diaspora... perhaps it would be worth stooping to joining facebook for a chance at screaming simian immortality...

RayRay Likes this comment! >lolz simian<

hunter7411

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hunter7411

I hate facebook and I probably entered the contest incorrectly.

taipan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taipan

I'm also on the "No Facebook" list so no participation from me. However, this "contest" does have one thing going for it:

This contest will actually be judged.

hunter7411

Looks Like I will not be able to catch the current leader. I've exhausted all of my resources.

bdecker202

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bdecker202
hunter7411 wrote:Looks Like I will not be able to catch the current leader. I've exhausted all of my resources.

It does say "If yours is the photo (or one of the photos)"...

hunter7411

bdecker202 wrote:It does say "If yours is the photo (or one of the photos)"...

I'd assume if that was a tie.

Yay looks like a resurgence from my family/friends! Its a tight race until 5 pm CST!

bdecker202

hunter7411 wrote:I'd assume if that was a tie.

Yay looks like a resurgence from my family/friends! Its a tight race until 5 pm CST!

Possibly...

Yes, tight race, indeed. May the best photo win!

hunter7411

Just for the record, I'm well aware that I'm whoring out my daughter for this contest...

It's going to be along 2 hours to the finish line!

hunter7411

So is someone going to confirm who wins?

hunter7411

Confirmation received with 2nd place! Very close indeed! 73 vs 70!!!

mgullick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgullick

I never had a chance. I'm with the "I don't do Facebook" crowd. I'll never understand the Facebook, MySpace, Twitter people.

WOOT! Birthday Bindle of Carrots 7/12/11
Bindle of Carrots 6/15/11
Random Crap 12/1/10
Random Crap 12/9/09

w00t!

gudsine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gudsine
llandar wrote:I can see your point. That part where it says "you'll win something" is pretty vague.

Vague is my middle name...no..it's actually frank, but wouldn't it be awesome if it was!!!

History is a myth men agree to believe

bdecker202

I hate to do this (I really do...), but it's been 3 full weeks since the contest has ended, and I have yet to receive my prize for winning.

I don't think the other winners have received anything yet either.

Any update from the Woot Gods? Thanks!

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

bdecker202 wrote:I hate to do this (I really do...), but it's been 3 full weeks since the contest has ended, and I have yet to receive my prize for winning.

I don't think the other winners have received anything yet either.

Any update from the Woot Gods? Thanks!

I think our pre-Christmas rush might have gotten in the way of the free monkey shipments, but you can now be aware I've seen your post and, hopefully, we'll get this taken care of right after our CES coverage ends. Thanks for the reminder that we left you hanging!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

taipan

I hate to do this (I really do...), but it's been more than 16 full months since photoshop contest 233 has ended, and we have yet to receive any prizes or even find out who won.

I don't think the other photoshop contest participants (in contests 234, 235, 236, 237) have received anything yet either.

Any update from the Woot gods? Thanks!

(Hey, it worked for the guy above me! Now how about a new years resolution to finally wrap up the mess that was once my favorite weekly diversion?)

bdecker202

Slydon wrote:I think our pre-Christmas rush might have gotten in the way of the free monkey shipments, but you can now be aware I've seen your post and, hopefully, we'll get this taken care of right after our CES coverage ends. Thanks for the reminder that we left you hanging!

Thanks for following up!

FedUpOldHag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FedUpOldHag
taipan wrote:I hate to do this (I really do...), but it's been more than 16 full months since photoshop contest 233 has ended, and we have yet to receive any prizes or even find out who won.

I don't think the other photoshop contest participants (in contests 234, 235, 236, 237) have received anything yet either.

Any update from the Woot gods? Thanks!

(Hey, it worked for the guy above me! Now how about a new years resolution to finally wrap up the mess that was once my favorite weekly diversion?)

QFT

It would be nice to have some closure on this. I feel so forgotten.

wonderstew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew

What?

Shaving.

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Brilliant.

What better way to get even the most hard-core photoshop contest followers to wash their hands of it altogether, than to flush it into Facebook.

Bravo.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Facebook monkey winners, your prizes will be on the way later today, along with a little something extra for your trouble.

bdecker202

Jason Toon wrote:Facebook monkey winners, your prizes will be on the way later today, along with a little something extra for your trouble.

Awesome, thank you Jason!

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
Jason Toon wrote:Facebook monkey winners, your prizes will be on the way later today, along with a little something extra for your trouble.

Can't wait to see what the little something extra they are gonna send the photoshop winners of the contests still in limbo.

FedUpOldHag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FedUpOldHag
toby8915 wrote:Can't wait to see what the little something extra they are gonna send the photoshop winners of the contests still in limbo.

I don't think he cares. Jason Toon couldn't of possibly missed the small hints in this thread that we want to see those results, but he still hasn't replied.

taipan

FedUpOldHag wrote:I don't think he cares. Jason Toon couldn't of possibly missed the small hints in this thread that we want to see those results, but he still hasn't replied.

At this point, I have to think that we, as a group or some individual, did something to put a bad taste in the mouth of the woot senior staff when it comes to the photoshop contests of yore.

Staff responses to other questions are fairly prompt in the forums, so I can't see how the lack of *any* response from any woot staffer at any level regarding the photoshop contest questions can be explained away as mere coincidence. It seems more likely that orders have come down from above to explicitly *not* reply to any photoshop contest questions or comments.

As to what exactly triggered this wrath in the minds of the woot honchos, I have no idea. Maybe too much whining when they got busy and didn't post results on the hour as they had originally had done. Maybe too much complaining about the chosen winners. Maybe too many brave woman references. Regardless of the reason, I have come to believe that there is some underlying motivation for this pattern of behavior.

Why they continue to leave the contest section of the forum up and running, what caused the animosity toward the photoshop contestants, and why I continue to lurk around the contest forums are all beyond me.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

Well, hello everybody, I missed you!

I have to agree with Taipan here -- it seems that something is afoot, and even though I'm no longer a regular around these parts (a large part due to the contest negligence.. a vicious circle), it's still bothersome that they clearly don't respond to any contest-related stimuli whatsoever.

We're adults, Woot.. we can take it. What went wrong?

[MOD: No advertising please]

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

It would have been nice if they'd posted news of this "contest" somewhere in the regular boards, possibly a w00tb0t blog post. It was just happenstance that I peeked in here and saw it.... two weeks too late to enter. Seeing how taking pictures of my monkey is my specialty... wait.. that doesn't sound right... anyway, I could have done well in this particular contest.

Well, maybe they'll have another contest someday. And maybe the "winners" will actually be announced!

p.s. My two cents on the photochop contests, is that due to legal/tax reasons, w00t decided to no longer give out "cash prizes" and because those prizes had already been announced, they decided it was better to just sweep the whole thing under the rug and hope that given enough time, we'd all just forget about it. But with that in mind, I don't know why they jest don't get rid of all the old contest threads and the problem will literally jest cease to exist.