kingkong1054

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingkong1054

AHHHHH so to buy or not to buy?!

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;" --Alexander Pope

JohnWooten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnWooten

Theoretically, this card should be fast enough for most uses, but it's always good to remember that not all devices will operate with a 32 GB card. Best to check before you buy, especially if it's an older device. My friend's Panasonic Lumix is only a few years old but will not work with a SD card larger than 2 GB.

Lotsa stuff...

BillThePoet

quality posts: 9 Private Messages BillThePoet

I can resist anything but temptation....

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: cassello
Speed to first woot: 1m 0.077s
Last wooter to woot: BillThePoet

slondo1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slondo1

My very first woot!

I personally needed a large SD or USB to transport recordings from my live setup at work back to my home studio. Since it's 24-bit audio, up to 16 tracks, and performances can go for hours, I needed a lot of space! Class and speeds didn't matter so much, just raw storage, and this deal beat everything on pricewatch. thanks Woot!

FallenAnjel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel

Sorry if this has been posted, but there's over 100 responses.........

Do the class ratings work like reverse USB? In other words, I can use a 2.0 usb item in a 1.0 port and it will still work, only at 1.0 speeds. So, can I use a class 10 card and if the item doesn't support class 10, but class 6, it'll just work at class 6 speed?

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

michchef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michchef

Read the reviews for this on Amazon. it's a piece of junk and nowhere near class 10 speed.

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat
NightGhost wrote:Product Website

NightGhost...systematically smelling what Woot.com had for dinner last night; one quality post at a time.

rwils06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwils06

Has anybody tested this card on the Nikon D90? I just ordered one and Nikon's product website says it can handle 32GB, but the brands were different.

Any advice is appreciated!

fjp999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999

Now that it has sold out... and just after I returned from physical therapy... what was the next best price??? or should I wait for another re-woot?

btw, been using a CENTON 16GB Class4 in the Panasonic HD HM-TA1 Cam sold here a month or so ago and having zero problem with the card... really wanted one of these cards at this price...

jaamzw

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jaamzw
whitehatsforhire wrote:not sure if the Wii will recog. one that big..

any one know for sure?

assuming your wii is ntsc then if you are on system menu 4.0U or higher then it will recognize SDHC up to 32gig, so yes it will work.
if you are on a lower system menu then you can easily update via internet. if you are worried about losing function such as homebrew then google waninkoko's updates for wii.

kukreja

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kukreja

Son of a B*%#@, lol.... guess that's what I get for waiting...

Next time woot... next time!

HMroczkowski

quality posts: 3 Private Messages HMroczkowski
chlimouj wrote:They are going after New Yorkers. Consumption taxes are the responsibility of the buyer. The seller only has to collect and account for it, then at the end of the year write a check to the state for the amount they collected. It's hardly an onerous burden... Amazon already does it in states where it has a physical presence. They just don't want to do it in other states because that is a significant perceived advantage of Internet sales that offsets the fact that the buyer has to pay shipping (in most cases).

So this isn't unfairly burdening Amazon, they just like the status quo because it gives them an unfair advantage over their brick-and-mortar competitors. If I was Amazon, I'd certainly fight it... but the state of NY is in the right, insofar as the state has the right to levy consumption taxes. It is NOT taxing Amazon one cent... the state is taxing its own citizens who buy through Amazon, just as it would tax its citizens who walk into a Walmart and buy something. It is closing a tax loophole.

And regarding foreign vendors, you are responsible for customs duties. Surely you are in compliance with federal laws... after all, you don't have to agree with a law to be prosecuted for violating it.

Just wondering...does the "TAXSUCKS" 5 dollar discount work in other states beside Texas? I bought two SDHC cards, putting the purchase above $45 and it worked for me (in SW Texas)

archerman2000

quality posts: 8 Private Messages archerman2000
kukreja wrote:Son of a B*%#@, lol.... guess that's what I get for waiting...

Next time woot... next time!

Sounds like you dodged a bullet to me. My eyes lit up this morning when I saw the price, 32GB and Class 10 and then I saw the brand... what a let down. I wouldn't trust this being class 10 anymore than my neighbor buying a Ferrari kit and calling it am original.

My hope is that one day someone will make it a forcible standard before a company can apply these class labels until then (read the reviews as proof) companies put big numbers GB and Class and they under perform consistently.

I'm only going with Scan Disk and patriot (when I want to save a few bucks) for SDHC cards over 16GB.

clrlmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clrlmiller
bluejester wrote:Don't know much about these types of cards, are these Wii compatible?

Any manufacture's SD Card is compatible with the Wii. However the Wii has a hard limit on the capacity of the card. 2 GB is the Maximum size supported. So, don't buy this for use on the Wii. Best to check if you're camera will support SDHC before buying. You could also use a converter to use this as a flash drive for a PC, Mac, etc.

Braveit1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Braveit1
clrlmiller wrote:Any manufacture's SD Card is compatible with the Wii. However the Wii has a hard limit on the capacity of the card. 2 GB is the Maximum size supported. So, don't buy this for use on the Wii. Best to check if you're camera will support SDHC before buying. You could also use a converter to use this as a flash drive for a PC, Mac, etc.

Re-check your wii facts. New Wii system software will allow bigger cards. You must update your wii first. Nintendo made the update available on March 25, 2009.

Woot Charter Member #3327

gkcmilner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gkcmilner

Dang! Just got home and saw this deal. I have two 16GB class 4 Centon cards that have been working flawlessly in my Panasonic HD camcorder. I would have been all over this deal.

dirkkkk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirkkkk

Nooks are for fart huffers, iPads get you laid. oooooooooww

Anorion

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Anorion
jhtechguy wrote:Since no one posted it yet
"Does this thing work with a Mac?"

Nope, only Pear-branded media will work with Max nowadays.

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

jaamzw

Teneniel wrote:I have a first release Wii and it won't recognize anything bigger than 2 gigs. I found this out the hard way. :/

well, update via wifi...the easy way!

jaamzw

clrlmiller wrote:Any manufacture's SD Card is compatible with the Wii. However the Wii has a hard limit on the capacity of the card. 2 GB is the Maximum size supported. So, don't buy this for use on the Wii. Best to check if you're camera will support SDHC before buying. You could also use a converter to use this as a flash drive for a PC, Mac, etc.

WRONG. so so WRONG.

schwarzkatze

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schwarzkatze
mcdoobau93 wrote:For what it's worth, this would also be a good purchase for the upcoming Nintendo 3DS.

Fuuuudge. Totally forgot about that. Damn. Knew I should have gotten two. T.T Oh well, I suppose if it doesn't work in my camera, I'll have something else to use it in.

beezdotcom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beezdotcom

Okay, so realize that SOME devices (which are only slightly older) get confused when they see a class 10 card - and will mistakenly interpret it as a class 2 card. (Sadly, I have one such camcorder.)

Therefore, the lovely Class 10 card I had purchased could NOT be used to record HD video in my camcorder - which wasn't that old, but apparently was just old enough.

dleung2k8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dleung2k8

Just wondering since when woot.com starts charging sale tax for NY Resident?

ffshoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ffshoe

WHAT???????? Can't you find more hidden in a corner some where?

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
pinchecat wrote:NightGhost...systematically smelling what Woot.com had for dinner last night; one quality post at a time.

Quality post.

cubbiemi

quality posts: 40 Private Messages cubbiemi
FallenAnjel wrote:Sorry if this has been posted, but there's over 100 responses.........

Do the class ratings work like reverse USB? In other words, I can use a 2.0 usb item in a 1.0 port and it will still work, only at 1.0 speeds. So, can I use a class 10 card and if the item doesn't support class 10, but class 6, it'll just work at class 6 speed?

SDHC readers don't really come with Class speed limits that I am aware of. If what your using it in sends it slower, it will still work. The Class rating is mostly important for recording video or large pictures very quickly.

michchef wrote:Read the reviews for this on Amazon. it's a piece of junk and nowhere near class 10 speed.

The reviews for a different card, but not this specific card? The review everyone keeps pointing out as being the reason to not buy this different card? The 6 reviews where only 1 can be verified to have actually purchased the item?

rwils06 wrote:Has anybody tested this card on the Nikon D90? I just ordered one and Nikon's product website says it can handle 32GB, but the brands were different.

Any advice is appreciated!

Did Nikon's page list a class speed the card should be? Or do the cards they recommend have a speed listed? If the class they want is equal to or less than 10 you should be ok.

beezdotcom wrote:Okay, so realize that SOME devices (which are only slightly older) get confused when they see a class 10 card - and will mistakenly interpret it as a class 2 card. (Sadly, I have one such camcorder.)

Therefore, the lovely Class 10 card I had purchased could NOT be used to record HD video in my camcorder - which wasn't that old, but apparently was just old enough.

Have you checked the manufacturers website for the camera? Maybe they updated the firmware? Did you ever speed test the card to make sure it actually was class 10?

gojets3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gojets3
dleung2k8 wrote:Just wondering since when woot.com starts charging sale tax for NY Resident?

it's been awhile (months), not sure if it coincided with the amazon 'takeover' (as amazon also charges tax for ny residents. i could go on a rant about ny lawmakers, but won't go OT...

rolledsho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rolledsho

I am not commenting on whether this is a quality product or a good deal.

I only offer a warning to make sure the device you are planning on using this in can handle a card with that much storage. A lot of equipment is limited to a certain size.

Teneniel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teneniel
Fekko wrote:The limit was 4GB on a non-SDHC card. But that said, upgrade your wii firmware online and you can read SDHC >4GB

:D

*runs off to do updates*

-Valerie

Braveit1

For those that missed it, Buy.com has it for $40.95 + free shipping. That's only $6 more on the purchase of one card.
http://www.buy.com/prod/centon32-gb-secure-digital-high-capacity-sdhc-1-card-pack-class-10/q/loc/101/219392368.html

yuchar168

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yuchar168

If you encounter low speeds, maybe reformatting with sdformatter 3.0 (from sdcard.org) can help - check out gary's review at newegg (for A-DATA 32gb class 10).

The review is the 4th one down dated 1/13/2011.
Newegg Review - ADate 32GB Class 10 SDHC

FaultyYogurt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FaultyYogurt
Teneniel wrote::D

*runs off to do updates*

However software that was released prior to these updates may not support it. Rock Band 2, for instance, only supports 2gb SD cards even after the update (actually, it can often see 4gb SD cards, not SDHC, if you fill more than 2gb worth of space). New software made after the updates should see the card fine.

tonespliff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonespliff

ship em already!!!!

chas2max

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chas2max

Mine is still listed as unshipped too. Any one have anything different?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

chas2max wrote:Mine is still listed as unshipped too. Any one have anything different?

It has only been four business days since the day of sale. When there are no weather delays, woot generally ships items out by the fifth business day. So there's time there, yet.
But! There are weather delays, as noted on the sales page during sale day and still noted on the blog: due to very bad weather there may be a slight delay in shipping.

barrysch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrysch

Why are they not shipping, come on I need that chip!

one22653

quality posts: 0 Private Messages one22653

still no shipping on mine either. in woot's defense, however, the dallas area got snowpocalypsed pretty severely... warming up though so shipping will undoubtably speed up this week

cueballsi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cueballsi

If anyone is having buyers remorse, pleaae msg me. this card would work great on the sanyo cam i just wooted.

cwipperman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwipperman

Anyone seen anything about shipping on these yet?

I have come to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

Braveit1

cwipperman wrote:Anyone seen anything about shipping on these yet?

Today is the fith business day so I think Woot! should ship them today.