JonShaffer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JonShaffer
therealjrn wrote:Ha, ha...really??? Gosh I never expected somebody to call me on this...lol...guess I get that for screwing around :-) All credit to the original posters...and thanks for the tip on this episode!

Jean Luc being awesome!

nice

therealjrn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages therealjrn
skitzoette wrote:I snatched up 2 this morning before realizing they weren't S&M toys. Then again,I suppose they COULD be anyway.

"All I know was I saw four lights, my flank was exposed and now I'm drained...I'll be in my bunk :::pushes guards aside:::"

1st Birthday of Celebrations finally! Happy 10th Woot!

therealjrn

JonShaffer wrote:nice

Yeah, just wish I was cool as Malatesta who originally posted the reference...several pages back... :::tips mangled flesh-ripped hat to Malatesta:::

Malatesta wrote:THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

marvan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marvan

Does anyone know how to veiw shipping/tracking information?

tpscan

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tpscan
TPSCAN wrote:Assuming the power consumption is the same in each flash light (3 watts/60% efficiency = 5 watts), each combo should provide power for similar times, but the AA combo costs 20% to 50% less.

How's my math?
How does that compare with you calculations and observations?

fluxon wrote:The calculation is "recharge 1,500 times."

Cool, Fluxon, I know he referenced the R/CR123, the general gist was that AAA cells would be uncompetitive. Though I think the 1500 recharges is a rarely achieved number, I agree that any number of recharge cycles greater than 4-5-6 reverses the equation.

However, there are NiMH AAA that offer an adequate power density. Including the alternate technologies in the cost matrix radically alters the cost per watt-hour, but does not negate the conclusion I offered.

At 400-600 recharges the numbers get so small and so close ($0.001667 vs $0.0015 per Watt-Hour) the difference is meaningless.

But buying (or rejecting) this item based solely on the power source, Cr123 or AAA or AA, without considering the other factors of durability, convenience, output and ergonomics seems rather cavalier.

To each his own, but considering this is an off-the-shelf, occasional use flash, priced at about $8 and includes the first set of batteries, the life cycle economics already seem pretty good. It seems to me that a serious modder might enjoy getting the Cree modules and reflector and wiring them to a handy Mr. Fusion unit just to show what can be achieved. I'd buy it just for parts and gigglez.

huntsalot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huntsalot
marvan wrote:Does anyone know how to veiw shipping/tracking information?

To track your order before woot sends tracking information:
Go to fedex.com
Select your country.
Move mouse over the track tab and click on track by reference in the drop down menu.
Leave account number blank
Enter your Woot order number in the reference box.
Enter the ship date +/- 15 days.
Enter your destination country.
Enter your destination zip.
Click on track.
This has worked on my orders in the past.

tpscan

marvan wrote:Does anyone know how to veiw shipping/tracking information?

Hi Marvan,
if you log into your account,and check the left column, you will see your purchases. Under the items, click the link to see details of that purchase, your sales receipt is also linked to that page and below that will be a link to the tracking info.

If you don't see tracking info, the item has not shipped or been posted yet. Once tracking info is posted, you may not see much progress as the shippers do not update tracking info live. It batch processes about every 24 hrs.

If the shipment is SmartPost, the tracking info covers two carriers, usually FedEx (or DHL) and the US Post Office. In some cases you get better info by opening the USPO web tracking site and pasting in the SmartPost tracking number.

Be warned -- tracking packages can be addictive, unrewarding and frustrating. Just say these words daily.

"Step away from the computer!
Close the tracking window.
These packages are not the ones you seek!
Step away from the computer!"

Practice this mantra and all will be well in the fullness of time.
------------------------------------

Oh, and I see that HuntsaLot has posted the Fedex tracking suggestions, using the Woot Ref #. FedEx has sooper dooper compooter peeps that are familiar with tracking packages with less than ideal info. If you don't have a current tracking number, their system will also look for packages by related fields. The Woot Reference # is one such key that works even while the official system is still waiting to update hands-on scans and records.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
RobTheBold wrote:I just used duct tape for the mount. And a chainsaw for the shotgun . . . And the tape has many other uses in the meantime before zombie apocalypse.

Perfect! And when you use up all your ammo you only need to rip off the tape, grap hold of the flashlight and start jabbing away with the "tactical head."

tiptoptiminitah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiptoptiminitah
zombiekicker wrote:As a former Boy Scout and current military, I'll say: One can never have too many flashlights (and corresponding batteries).

I'll use mine when I work on the jets.
-USN

ross880

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross880
jdrage wrote:Thinking about getting a couple to use as cheap bright bike lights. Any suggestions for mounting to handlebars?

James

Duck Tape...works on everything!!!

silversalute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversalute
Char_Vey wrote:SIX freakin AAA batteries???!!!! I don't understand this obsession with the tiny, weak AAA battery--they wear out in no time. What happened to the trusty, long lasting D-cell battery, especially for flashlights?

How long does your normal d-cell flashlight last compared to these?

How big is it compared to these?

How much does it cost compared to these?

I'm not saying these are the end all for flashlights, just that these are adequate with aaa-cells.

And, have you bought d-cells lately? Pretty pricy...

silversalute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversalute
tiptoptiminitah wrote:I'll use mine when I work on the jets.
-USN

Very cool!

akousticplyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akousticplyr
huntsalot wrote:To track your order before woot sends tracking information:
Go to fedex.com
Select your country.
Move mouse over the track tab and click on track by reference in the drop down menu.
Click on track.

Awesome tip, thanks!

bandityo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandityo

is this thing ever going to ship?

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830
bandityo wrote:is this thing ever going to ship?

However, each item we sell is in stock and typically ships within 2-3 business days.

Um. Yeah. About that whole actually being in stock and shipping thing. Woot actually ships in about 5-business days and it takes approximately another 5-business days to get delivery when items are shipped via FedEx 'Smart Post'. Anything over $200 is just shipped straight up FedEx and shipping is slightly faster by a business day or two.

So don't expect to see these items actually even start moving until tomorrow-ish and don't expect to see delivery until somewhere about Wednesday February 23nd because Monday February 21st is a holiday (Presidents Day)... give or take a day.

I buy A-LOT of my stuff via the internet. Since after I made this purchase on Woot (02/08), on separate days and websites elsewhere on the interwebs, I have ordered and purchased a new 24" HD computer monitor, a 6GB computer memory upgrade kit, several boxes of k-cup coffee's for my Keurig coffee maker, bulk Filtrete air filter refills for my home air purifiers, and a new titanium watch. I have already received each and every item. This Woot item hasn't even progressed past the label making stage according to the tracking info using reference order number.

So, yeah, Woot site's shipping is dismal at best but they're worth the wait most of the time and I've only ever had one or two Woot shipping snafu's over the years. They're just real darn sloooow.

nawoichik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nawoichik

This isn't just another flashlight! Check out all the video previews on youtube. AWESOME for the money and then some. Would pay $100 for just one of these.

jzzerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzzerry

Shipping delays. So what's the deal Woot? Six days, Item not sent yet?

Fleshy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fleshy

Yeah what the hell Woot. I still haven't gotten my tracking number yet. Hurry the hell up. Almost been a week already.

miket05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages miket05

I remember when Woot items would arrive within 3/4 days.

Shipping has really gone downhill. This may be my last purchase.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hold your horses. This was the 4th business day. Most likely, they'll be punted off the dock tomorrow. Keep in mind that shipping updates are posted the next morning after shipment. It can take FedEx a day or two to do the stuff at their end.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SilverStar830

Oh yeah, I forgot to add to my above post- out of all those items I purchased and have long since already received after this Woot purchase... all shipping on all of those items was free except one, the watch. The watch cost me $4.95 for shipping. But I still received it, at my door in San Diego from New York, in 3-business days after purchase.

I think shipping is quite possibly going to be a deal breaker for me with Woot eventually too. It has seriously gone down the tubes in a big way. Anything and everything you can get here isn't exclusive to Woot anymore, and the 'deals' are not even close to what they used to be either. I've yet to encounter a slower shipping business than Woot so far.

Well, except for online rebate check redemptions which seem to be the only thing that takes longer than a Woot purchase to receive, but those don't count.

plugh001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plugh001

No shipping notice yet, but tracking FedEx SmartPost by reference, mine left FedEx in Texas on 14 Feb 2011 at 10:49 PM and delivery is expected here in Kansas on Friday, 18 Feb.

jzzerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzzerry
akousticplyr wrote:Awesome tip, thanks!

Thanks, for the info. I ordered on the 8th, Info sent to Fed-ex on the 10th, shipped on the 14th and due to receive on the 19th. Nice to know it is on the way instead of thinking Woot still hasn't shipped. Thank's Woot.

nine72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nine72

Ok, so I followed the steps above to find the order at FedEx. All it says is that it has been "Initiated" expected pick up date to be Feb 12th. Does not show that it has been picked up, in transit or even an expected delivery date...

I am literally 3 miles from the Woot offices, I am thinking of going down there and complaining in person...

kcweazle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcweazle
huntsalot wrote:To track your order before woot sends tracking information:
Go to fedex.com
Select your country.
Click on track.

This is a great tip! worked for me. Woot still doesn't show any tracking info for this but when I look it up at fedex it shows they were shipped yesterday and delivery ETA is tomorrow. Thanks for this tip.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Tracking emails are going out for these soon. We've shipped the great majority of them already but were keeping the item "in progress" because we ended up being shorted some and a handful of orders are not able to be shipped. If yours is among them, you won't get a tracking number today.

But please don't worry if yours hasn't shipped, we're absolutely going to take care of you. We just want to wait to get a firm answer from the vendor on when we'll be able to get more in before we email everyone affected.

pwassmuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwassmuth

Have yet to get tracking # for led flashlights is there any way to track them?

bajabeetle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bajabeetle

[quote postid="4340055" user="kmf600"]For some reason I have a compulsive need to buy flashlights whenever I see them.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm like a bug to a flashlight section. Can't help it.

chiefs2win

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chiefs2win

got mine today 02/16/2011. Incredible flashlights!!!! turned on my old flashlight then turned one of these on, couldn't even tell the old one was on! Crazy bright!

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

agingdragqueen wrote:Tracking emails are going out for these soon. We've shipped the great majority of them already but were keeping the item "in progress" because we ended up being shorted some and a handful of orders are not able to be shipped. If yours is among them, you won't get a tracking number today.

But please don't worry if yours hasn't shipped, we're absolutely going to take care of you. We just want to wait to get a firm answer from the vendor on when we'll be able to get more in before we email everyone affected.

Just sent an email out to the customers I referred to in the above. If you didn't get a tracking email or an email explaining the potential issue with your order- please write in!

triplesixxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triplesixxx

i'll jump on the train as well with how woot really drops the ball on shipping.wont be getting mine till the 23rd ordered on the 8th. ehh

.. waiting for the fanboys to attack my comment

godlessdustin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godlessdustin

I just got mine. I don't know why but they're a lot bigger than I expected. I was also expecting them to be black. They were a gun metal color though. It is very bright, though there isn't much difference between the two brighness settings, and the "flood to spotlight" colntrole is pretty useless, as there isn't much difference between the flood and the spotlight. The "momentary tactical switch" simply isn't a monentary tactical switch, like you would find on other highend tactical flashlights like surefire etc..It's just a regulary cheapy style clicky button switch, nless there's something I'm missing here. They seem to be sturdy enough the glove compartment and my tool bag where they'll be staying.

tpscan

triplesixxx wrote:i'll jump on the train as well with how woot really drops the ball on shipping.wont be getting mine till the 23rd ordered on the 8th. ehh

Arrrgghhh!! Ruff! Ruff! Grrrr!
That enough of an attack, or you need more??

kg333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kg333
triplesixxx wrote:i'll jump on the train as well with how woot really drops the ball on shipping.wont be getting mine till the 23rd ordered on the 8th. ehh

Same, I'm a bit disappointed, I expect better from a company with woot's reputation.

landonmullet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages landonmullet

mine arrived today. they seem pretty good, well worth the $12.

but who on earth designed the packaging? ugh.

therealjrn

godlessdustin wrote:I just got mine. I don't know why but they're a lot bigger than I expected. I was also expecting them to be black. They were a gun metal color though. It is very bright, though there isn't much difference between the two brightness settings, and the "flood to spotlight" controller is pretty useless, as there isn't much difference between the flood and the spotlight. The "momentary tactical switch" simply isn't a momentary tactical switch, like you would find on other high-end tactical flashlights like surefire etc..It's just a regular cheap style click button switch, unless there's something I'm missing here. They seem to be sturdy enough the glove compartment and my tool bag where they'll be staying.

I got mine today and could not have written it better...well...I could spell it better because my Firefox browser has a spellchecker. So I fixed godlessdustin's spelling errors ;-) Thanks Woot!

miket05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages miket05
agingdragqueen wrote:Tracking emails are going out for these soon. We've shipped the great majority of them already but were keeping the item "in progress" because we ended up being shorted some and a handful of orders are not able to be shipped. If yours is among them, you won't get a tracking number today.

I think this settles it. After 5 years and 50+ purchases, unless woot! decides to sell something like a spaceship for $5, this is my last purchase here. For a company that doesn't actually produce anything; that simply provides a service, you'd expect it to be done consistently well.

I guess it's inevitable that not every company will meet scaling demands. Woot, you're the new NewEgg. See ya.

mrschultz02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrschultz02

Got mine today. Mine are black. Glad I ordered 2 sets, after reading the reviews I thought they might be junk but they are brighter and better built than I was expecting.

There is no momentary on/off that I can find, just the 2 power levels and the strobe. Took one all apart and under the switch is a computer chip that really controls the light, so pushing the button just tells the chip to cycle through it's modes. They are well machined, everything came apart and then went back together nicely.

Also the "focus" on the beam really doesn't do much but I have yet to find an LED flashlight that does. Even the mag-light LEDs don't change the size of the spot all that much.

As for being "tactical" the edges on the front are kind of sharp, got some nasty paper cuts on my palm putting the batteries in. ;-)

Edit: Just checked the power settings with an exposure meter, the low setting really is half as bright as the high setting.

travisf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages travisf
mrschultz02 wrote:Got mine today. Mine are black. Glad I ordered 2 sets, after reading the reviews I thought they might be junk but they are brighter and better built than I was expecting.

There is no momentary on/off that I can find, just the 2 power levels and the strobe. Took one all apart and under the switch is a computer chip that really controls the light, so pushing the button just tells the chip to cycle through it's modes. They are well machined, everything came apart and then went back together nicely.

Also the "focus" on the beam really doesn't do much but I have yet to find an LED flashlight that does. Even the mag-light LEDs don't change the size of the spot all that much.

As for being "tactical" the edges on the front are kind of sharp, got some nasty paper cuts on my palm putting the batteries in. ;-)

Edit: Just checked the power settings with an exposure meter, the low setting really is half as bright as the high setting.

For the momentary operation you hold the button down for a couple seconds and it turns on. Let off the button and it shuts off.

SilverStar830

fanboys shmanboys. you oughta worry more about the Woot staff more than the Woot fanboys. look what they did to my woot-rep after a couple of posts here and on deals.woot regarding Woot's declining service and dismal shipping. one day its great. the next it's all but vaporized. looks like i struck a nerve. lol

Before

After

from 99/100 to 1/100 practically overnight. and that despite my ongoing participatory activity on deals.woot. i guess that's supposed to make me regret voicing my legitimate and truthful opinions regarding Woot as of late. but honestly, it reinforces my opinions on the decline of the Woot empire. it's definitely a sign of the Woot times as of late.

meh.