WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 8GB iPod Touch with Retina Display & Facetime (Current Generation)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 52.000s
First Sucker:
N88KEL
Last Wooter to Woot:
Roogo
Last Purchase:
4 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 15% of Woot.com Woots
Bottom 43% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 24% of Woot.com Woots
Top 21% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 22% first woot
  • 8% second woot
  • 34% < 10 woots
  • 18% < 25 woots
  • 18% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 18% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 14% one year old
  • 65% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 92% bought 1
  • 7% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
3%
2%
2%
1%
1%
2%
5%
5%
5%
6%
7%
4%
6%
6%
4%
5%
5%
4%
5%
5%
5%
4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple 8GB iPod Touch with Retina Display & Facetime (Current Generation)
$189.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

mragosti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mragosti
NightGhost wrote:Product Website

Wait a minute, who makes this again?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I like my old one, but I'm also expecting a lot of new Android tablets coming out. And I do enjoy not being locked into iTunes. I picked up a cheap Coby. It's crude, but it shows what is heading our way. If they used a better screen (as with the Touch) I'd be a happy camper.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

joselama

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joselama

DO NOT PURCHASE!! I got one about a month ago at woot, same price. Device works, but the back side comes ALL SCRATCHED. Woot only changes the front.

Look it up in Amazon. Better warranty. Not so expensive.

(I was ... literally ... the first sucker for this item last time)

[STAFF MOD NOTE: Uhm, we don't do the refurbing, you know....]

chickensnack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chickensnack

When I bought this from woot last time it took quite a while to ship (from New Jersey?) and then it arrived in a rolled up plastic shipping bag and the back of the iPod is extremely scratched and the iPod was glued into the box with a giant glob of glue that took forever to get off!

otherwise good B)

the8re

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the8re

Got one for my fiance. Loves it. Only issue was that the packaging made it clear that it was pre-owned (pre-opened) and back had scratches on it. She just used the included Apple logo stickers to cover the back.

stewy0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewy0327
radi0j0hn wrote:I like my old one, but I'm also expecting a lot of new Android tablets coming out. And I do enjoy not being locked into iTunes.

are these still only itunes compatible? no napster or anything??

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

17.5% for a refurbished 8GB iPod touch? Really Woot? I expected more from you.

brand new one from Apple is $229 and you get a 1 year warranty.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

DarkLazer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkLazer
joselama wrote:DO NOT PURCHASE!! I got one about a month ago at woot, same price. Device works, but the back side comes ALL SCRATCHED. Woot only changes the front.

Look it up in Amazon. Better warranty. Not so expensive.

(I was ... literally ... the first sucker for this item last time)

I got one for my girlfriend last year in July and it looked brand new.

qqqqqq582

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qqqqqq582

If you are considering buying a touch screened mp3 player, just buy it (from amazon new). You will not be disappointed, there is nothing on the market right now that comes anywhere near to comparing to it.

Edit: I just realized what my comment sounds like it's saying. I meant buy an iPod touch if you are considering buying a touch screened mp3 player. Buy it, but maybe from amazon or eBay new for just a little more $.

thedude35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedude35

only $15 more shipped at Amazon for a new one.
less than 10% discount for a refurb? no thanks.

tangouniform

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangouniform

Honestly? You wouldn't spend $15 more for a new one on Amazon? Woooot. What has become of you?

It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

jgolladay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgolladay
tangouniform wrote:Honestly? You wouldn't spend $15 more for a new one on Amazon? Woooot. What has become of you?

Totally Agree!

joshg

guywhosverybored

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guywhosverybored
the8re wrote:Got one for my fiance. Loves it. Only issue was that the packaging made it clear that it was pre-owned (pre-opened) and back had scratches on it. She just used the included Apple logo stickers to cover the back.

Buying a case for it is also another way to cover up the scratched-up back side.

NightGhost

My personal review, updated:

We are a family of 4, and we own 4 iPod touches. When I first got mine, I was thinking that it was nice to have an mp3 player that could also surf the web. Then my wife and I went to the movies, and she dropped the cover to my ebook reader, and couldn't find it in the dark. A nice guy behind us said "don't you have the free flashlight function on your iTouch?" and helped us find the cover.

Of course, you can read ebooks on the iPod touch too.

Later that day we had to drive to an office, and my wife panicked because she didn't know how to get to the address, and had left her GPS at work. iPod touch to the rescue again. Note that the Touch has a GPS-like feature that uses WiFi (described in links below).

iPhone, iPod Touch Get GPS-like Capability

iPhone and iPod Touch added with GPS-like capability

Apple "podmaps" patent reveals GPS-like directions for iPod

It even has an app ($10) that lets me watch TV broadcasts from my Hava Titanium HD (got it on Woot!).

I was never an Apple fan, but...

that only begins to explain why the iPod touch is my favorite gadget.

This also has voice control of your music (unlike the 8GB model), and you can buy earbuds with a microphone that work with it.

And many of the best apps and games are free, or very inexpensive. I've been playing the Texas Hold-em game lately.

I also like 5-0 Radio, which lets you listen to local police and emergency broadcasts. I get the game scores with the CBS Sports app, and of course, it has the great Woot app!

I've also been using mine to listen to audiobooks. And today I used it to settle an argument about local street names.

You can see movie ratings with the imdb app, and then see where they're playing with Flixster. And sometimes you just want to set an alarm...

And my new favorite app is Tight VNC, which allows you to remote control your compute via wifi.

It's much, much more than an mp3 player.

joselama

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joselama
DarkLazer wrote:I got one for my girlfriend last year in July and it looked brand new.

Lucky for you.. Check other posts and see how other buyers had the same issue as I did.

(oh, and its true that shipping last about 8 days and comes glued in a pretty cheap way)

haibtihotti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haibtihotti

~ I just got the 32Gb on sellout.woot. It arrived last Saturday. It too was scratched like crazy and way over-glued to the packaging. I can live with that.... if it worked. The headphone jack never worked and today it decided to just not even power on anymore. Return!

oio

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oio

I guess it's clear that Apple makes a killing on their iPhones. This iPod touch retina display is basically an iPhone4 without the 3g antenna (and less flash mem). Add 3g and Apple wants an extra $300-400 (refurb'd iPhone 4 OFF contract). The reality distortion field works wonders on the sheep...

GitEmSteveDave

quality posts: 17 Private Messages GitEmSteveDave

Can I get one with black headphones/ear buds?

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
stewy0327 wrote:are these still only itunes compatible? no napster or anything??

Napster? LOL!

GitEmSteveDave

oio wrote:I guess it's clear that Apple makes a killing on their iPhones. This iPod touch retina display is basically an iPhone4 without the 3g antenna (and less flash mem). Add 3g and Apple wants an extra $300-400 (refurb'd iPhone 4 OFF contract). The reality distortion field works wonders on the sheep...

Also doesn't have GPS. It only has the Skyhook Wireless location service. Mine right now says I am in Texas, even though I'm in NJ.

riocobra

quality posts: 12 Private Messages riocobra

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything less than 16 GB these days. I have an iPhone 3G with over 6 GB of apps and games on it.

NightGhost

the8re

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the8re

Ever buy a song from the iTunes app on your iTouch and have it disappear?

I did! I figured out the reason too: My iTouch was set to only sync certain songs in iTunes. When I purchase a song on my iTouch, iTunes does not add that to the sync list for my iTouch automatically. Thus when I sync my iTouch, the song is added to iTunes, then removed from my iTouch since it isn't on the iTouch list.

Just remember to add any songs purchased on your iTouch to your sync list in iTunes the next time you sync after purchasing the song.

stewy0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewy0327
cowboyesfan wrote:Napster? LOL!

I have never had trouble with them, it is the only service I have used though. I don't currently have an account since my MP3 player broke a few months back and I haven't bought a new one. What service to you recommend?

sdallnct

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sdallnct

While I think the latest Touch is a great (maybe the best iPod yet), I just don't think 8GB is practical unless you really enjoy moving stuff around a lot.

You will not get 8GB of storage. Remember the iOS will take up close to 2GB. So you will have a little more than 6GB for storage.

Considering you can store movies, pic's, music, audio book, books, pictures, etc....and that is before you even get to the apps....

Again, love the Touch. But think 8GB is really to small for this device.

NightGhost

the8re wrote:Ever buy a song from the iTunes app on your iTouch and have it disappear?

I downloaded a Justin Bieber song and realized it wasn't really music. Does that count?

47triple2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 47triple2

Buy this! Don't worry that the product is refurbished, Apple does refurbishment right. In fact, I am convinced that a refurbished iDevice is a better iDevice: the kinks have already been worked out!

Plus, if it fails, this iDevice would be covered by the same warranty as a brand new iDevice. No loss!

agent1atl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agent1atl

Hey woot, when are you going to sell some $189 Iphone4's or Ipads?

billkaris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billkaris

In for one, because I trust WOOT to stand behind their products. I plan to use this instead of taking my netbook everywhere. Wifi is in most public places now. I know I will never buy an IPhone, so this is the next best thing.

billkaris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billkaris
billkaris wrote:In for one, because I trust WOOT to stand behind their products. I plan to use this instead of taking my netbook everywhere. Wifi is in most public places now. I know I will never buy an IPhone, so this is the next best thing.

and I still love my Sansa clips for ease of use for podcasts....nice to have choices...

spcanf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spcanf

I love Napster and it works great on my ipod touch.

acdawg

quality posts: 28 Private Messages acdawg

Get more out of your iPod by jailbreaking it here.

powerpiglet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages powerpiglet

If the back is scratched, supposedly sandpaper works well.

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds
thedude35 wrote:only $15 more shipped at Amazon for a new one.
less than 10% discount for a refurb? no thanks.

totally agree!
[I'm just waiting on the next ipod release and this version will be old hat anyway.]

GitEmSteveDave

sdallnct wrote:While I think the latest Touch is a great (maybe the best iPod yet), I just don't think 8GB is practical unless you really enjoy moving stuff around a lot.

You will not get 8GB of storage. Remember the iOS will take up close to 2GB. So you will have a little more than 6GB for storage.

Considering you can store movies, pic's, music, audio book, books, pictures, etc....and that is before you even get to the apps....

Again, love the Touch. But think 8GB is really to small for this device.

Is your 2gb of iOS apps? I mean, I have a 2nd gen and it doesn't take up that much space.

NightGhost

Again, on a personal note:

Yesterday, my wife discovered that she ran her 2nd/3rd Gen iPod touch through the wash (wife, not my kids, hmm...). In her defense, she's been putting in ridiculous overtime at work, so she's been in zombieland around the house.

Anyhow, moisture is known as the Touch's nemesis, but after a dry-out period, wouldja believe it still works? It connects to the internet, plays music, and composes polkas (okay, I made up that last one). The display is all water-spotty, but we're hoping it will dry out.

To be fair, I should mention that it went into the laundry inside a zippered leather pouch.

Still, the alarm clock app works, so I guess you guess say it takes a big lickin' and-

Well, you know.