chefjef

quality posts: 10 Private Messages chefjef

in for one.
looks like a great gift for the folks so they can scan their collection themselves. iow, so i won't have to do it for them.
=)

I still have 4 bottles of Humbug resting gently in my cellar =)

conantroutman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages conantroutman
jminnion wrote:What happens if I want to scan in a photo of the calibration card?

Awesome post

geepaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geepaw

I bought one from Brookstone. Scanned a number of pages, then one or two white lines appeared on scanned photo.
Took it back and they gave me a second. Did n0t use the cleaner and scanned about 3500 prints. Then a white line appeared. Took it back and they gave me a third. Have scanned over 1000 with it and it is working fine. It is quick and fast, about 6 per minute. Only problem is getting the picture to go in straight. But learning how to hold it helps. It is well worth the cost.

roguie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roguie

So will this run on a Vista 64 bit machine?

johnmazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnmazz

I feel the need to attach a shredder to the other end of this for destructive digitization.

twomper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twomper

It is rare to see a cat and a basenji cuddling - clearly, their entanglement is a testament to the quality of this product.

OnFullTilt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OnFullTilt
stephwak wrote:FYI Everyone- She's a red/white Cardigan Welsh Corgi, not a Basenji. But they do look similar in the face/head.

One of the very few times she would snuggle with her BFF Norton.

I stand corrected. I probably should have realized that the dog in question was not a basenji because it was snuggling with a cat and not locked in a life or death battle with it (yes, I'm sure there are some basenjis that get along with cats, I just haven't met one yet). Despite my disappointment when I found out that Woot was not employing basenji models I did in fact buy this scanner. Upon arrival the first thing I will do with it is scan a picture of my basenji, Buddy. Of course I will first have to print out one of my digital photos of Buddy (will Woot be selling any 4x6 printers soon?).

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

TO THOSE WHO PAY SALES TAX (TX, WA, NY)

Your best bargain is to buy 2 so that you can use the coupon code, "TAXSUCKS." You'll end up actually paying less than people who don't have to pay sales tax. Here are the calculations, keeping in mind that only purchases over $40.01 are entitled to use the $5 coupon.

1 Scanner
$19.99 = 1 Scanner
$01.77 = NY sales tax
$05.00 = s/h
=========
$26.76 = total for 1 scanner

2 Scanners
$39.98 = 2 Scanners
$03.55 = NY sales tax
$05.00 = s/h
-$05.00 = TAXSUCKS coupon (only usable when total > $40.01)
=========
$43.53 = total for 2 scanners
÷ 2
=========
$21.77 = the cost of 1 scanner when buying 2 in NY

In other words, if you live in NY and buy 2 using the TAXSUCKS coupon, you'd be paying about $5 less per scanner than if you were buying 1. That's a 19% saving per scanner.

wickywik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wickywik

OK, folks. I know this is the tail end of the sale but for all of those who've been asking "Is this compatible with my Mac/Windows machine?" should be able to answer two simple questions.
1. Can I somehow read an SD card on my computer i.e. do I have an adapter that I can insert the card from the scanner into. If you can, great! If you can't or don't understand the question, hmmmm....
2. Can my computer read/view .jpeg photos?

If you can say yes to both answers, then this scanner will work for you. If you really feel compelled to hook it up to a computer and scan, you're sort of missing the point of this product.

The point of this product is to basically free you from the computer and scanner and allow you to sit on the couch, grab a beer, scanner and a big stack of crappy photos you plan to embarrass your friends with and go to town while you watch some mindless reality tv, or game or whatever.

Concerned about quality? 300dpi should be plenty for your old photos. And if your photos are so outstanding, why are you scanning printed photos and not the negatives themselves? If you want something higher, check out the Pandigital scanners. They have an older 4x6 one that does 600dpi and a newer one that does 600dpi up to 8.5x11. Runs $99 on Amazon with really good reviews.

Sure, we all have high hopes of digging out our photos and doing archival scans of them but the reality of it is that they take a ton of work to go through and do. Scanning negatives leaves you with the job of going back through and sorting the good from the bad. Scanning photos will allow you to pick and choose right away those that are scan-worthy.

sdschmitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdschmitty

Don't know about the scanner, but I love the Basenji!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdschmitty wrote:Don't know about the scanner, but I love the Basenji!

Pssst:

stephwak wrote:FYI Everyone- She's a red/white Cardigan Welsh Corgi, not a Basenji. But they do look similar in the face/head.

One of the very few times she would snuggle with her BFF Norton.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

reefseeker wrote:Does anyone know if you can just keep feeding in pictures? or do you have to save each one, one at a time.

ok, I know this is kinda late but you'd scan, wait for the green light to stop blinking while it saves the photo (about 5 seconds), and then feed another photo in.

Here's a video. The simplicity convinced me to buy one for my parents. It was $79 at HSN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ypHsZkUTM

Gidgaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gidgaf

I just wanna know ... can it do negatives? I have a box or three of medium format (6x6, 6x9) negatives I'd like to scan in one day.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
ThunderThighs wrote:

Ok!

She's NOT a Basenji.

But, did you all notice just how popuar the breed is here? That is shocking. (Well, not really, since Woot! is an "eclectic" group, and so are Basenjis.)(Oh, eclectic is a long-winded way of saying "different.")

Interesting, there even was someone else posting as Steve, who likes Basenjis.

steve

ThunderThighs

Staff

skou wrote:Ok!

She's NOT a Basenji.

But, did you all notice just how popuar the breed is here? That is shocking. (Well, not really, since Woot! is an "eclectic" group, and so are Basenjis.)(Oh, eclectic is a long-winded way of saying "different.")

Interesting, there even was someone else posting as Steve, who likes Basenjis.

steve

I kinda wondered if it was a corgi because I have a corgi/dachshund mix pound dog

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wickywik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wickywik
Gidgaf wrote:I just wanna know ... can it do negatives? I have a box or three of medium format (6x6, 6x9) negatives I'd like toi scan in one day.

No, photos only.

sdc100

nadthomas wrote:I'll try to remember to check that out when I get home tonight, but that won't be until much later this evening. I suspect that it won't work for receipts based upon how it has handled a few mis-feed photos.

Yes, it can handle long receipts. Just put them in the included sleeve.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ypHsZkUTM

mjkenning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjkenning

FYI, these appear to be shipping now via FedEx SmartPost. 2.2 pounds, etc, etc.

devyanks90

quality posts: 4 Private Messages devyanks90
mjkenning wrote:FYI, these appear to be shipping now via FedEx SmartPost. 2.2 pounds, etc, etc.

I got my shipping notice. Listed at 9.5 pounds for me which seems rather high.

long live woottv

brokesmoker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brokesmoker
devyanks90 wrote:I got my shipping notice. Listed at 9.5 pounds for me which seems rather high.

maybe you got the dog!

Dianrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dianrez

The shipping notice I got said 2.2 pounds. Well and good. The time to deliver is longer than it took for the last Woot. Maybe smaller takes longer because of shorter legs?

Garlandxj08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Garlandxj08

This Fedex Smartpost really sucks. I live in Garland TX 20 min from Carrollton. How come I can send a netflix movie to thier hub in Carrollton TX and it gets there next day. But a shipment from woot in Carrollton TX takes 4 to 5 days? I could hand deliver the package to my house faster than that.

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

VuPoint 4x6 Digital Photo Scanner has completely shipped. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

TerpBE

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TerpBE
devyanks90 wrote:I got my shipping notice. Listed at 9.5 pounds for me which seems rather high.

They may have sent you the 4' x 6' scanner by mistake.

devyanks90

quality posts: 4 Private Messages devyanks90

Scanned in Martinsburg at 1.9 pounds. I didn't get the dog.

long live woottv

dummble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dummble

got mine today, It will not turn on. Anyone else with this problem?

davidm3286

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidm3286
dummble wrote:got mine today, It will not turn on. Anyone else with this problem?

Mine turns on, appears to scan. But there is no file on the SD card. Just the FotoIMG directory.

gigi1993

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gigi1993
marksfamily wrote:if it comes with the Basenji, I'm in. Oh wait, it doesn't...

I could have sworn that was a Welsh Corgi in that pic.....

pixelflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixelflip

this thing works like a charm. i'm lounging on the couch, casually scanning decades worth of photos, at a quality that is more than suitable for emailing and posting around the web. so much easier than opening and closing the lid of a flatbed scanner and worrying about the picture going crooked in between. great w00t!

pixelflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixelflip
johnmazz wrote:I feel the need to attach a shredder to the other end of this for destructive digitization.

brilliant idea.

Dianrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dianrez

Mine is still sitting in delivery on the other side of the Great Lakes from me.
Does anybody know the dpi of the scan? 72 or 150 or 300?

MakGeek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MakGeek
pixelflip wrote:this thing works like a charm. i'm lounging on the couch, casually scanning decades worth of photos, at a quality that is more than suitable for emailing and posting around the web. so much easier than opening and closing the lid of a flatbed scanner and worrying about the picture going crooked in between. great w00t!

Ditto.

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

I'm having problems with the photo feeder. It just won't take in the photos, or hiccups when it does finally feed one in. I've tried photos with and without a sleeve. No love. :-(

RobertB

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RobertB

Wow, this thing is SMALL. It'll be easy to carry up to the spare bedroom to scan all the photos, but I'm afraid I'll lose it if I'm not careful where I sit it.

It came in a plain white box, packed of course in a decorative Woot box. I guess the recent windy weather has left Texas air at a premium, because they didn't put enough air bags in the box to keep the inner box from sliding around. I'm sure it'll be fine, though -- the factory box has plenty of cushy cardboard.

I am totally going to try to make a scan of the calibration card. But not until after all those pictures get stored.

Cr@p-free no more as of 5/26/2010!
(Previous B-to-the-OC: 11/17/2006)
i can haz quality post? zomg!

btopalanchik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btopalanchik

What the heck is WOOT/FEDEX doing? I never heard of FEDEX delivering a WOOT package to the Post Office for me before. It has probably happened, but I never noticed it. Perhaps it was the tracking note that I should allow an additional 1 to 2 days for delivery is ridiculous. Why send it FEDEX to begin with? I ordered this on 2/18 and still have not gotten it...

ThunderThighs

Staff

btopalanchik wrote:What the heck is WOOT/FEDEX doing? I never heard of FEDEX delivering a WOOT package to the Post Office for me before. It has probably happened, but I never noticed it. Perhaps it was the tracking note that I should allow an additional 1 to 2 days for delivery is ridiculous. Why send it FEDEX to begin with? I ordered this on 2/18 and still have not gotten it...

As indicated by the shipping icon on the main page, this was shipped using FedEx SmartPost. FedEx gets the package to your closest Post Office and from there, the USPS delivers it.

FORUM MODERATOR

cestlamort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cestlamort

Just received mine.

Unfortunately, there are white lines on pretty much every scan, despite following the directions for cleaning the sensor (multiple times).

Any ideas?

cynjon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cynjon

Got mine today...works great! Sorry to hear that some others are having issues with theirs. I was surprised how small it is--I was expecting something quite a bit larger.

I formatted a 4GB SD card I had laying around, and started scanning pics. All of them have scanned in great so far, and no issues with the cropping that the scanner does either. Very happy with this purchase, especially for the price.

cestlamort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cestlamort

It does seem to autocrop pretty well, though.

TerpBE

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TerpBE
cestlamort wrote:It does seem to autocrop pretty well, though.

...until you have a picture with a dark background. I've had it chop of the top third of a picture.