Zanesmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zanesmom

It doesn't include the mini HDMI cable. Dealbuster?

hroen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hroen

Got one on a previous Woot. The things the size of a frickin' grain of rice and the video looks great on my 52" flat screen! Cant beat the quality for the price. Recommended.

Items:

1. Works best with tripod, no image stabilization
2. I have had NO problem with the USB
3. Buttons can be a bit sensitive, but they work fine

Harris Roen

hroen

kne818 wrote:does anyone know if it says "refurbished" anywhere on the actual product??

No,

Harris Roen

hroen

phacopida wrote:Can you zoom WHILE you are recording? I can't with my current camera and would like to upgrade.

It's only a digital zoom, so you can but why bother?

Harris Roen

Cridds

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cridds

I have this exact model and LOVE IT!! The one recommendation I can give is not to carry it without a good case...I kept mine in the small pouch provided and ended up screwing up the screen...although it still records, I can't see what I'm recording!

I did call about having it refurbished, but got the same answer as a previous poster...for $79. they would take a look at it...this is a much better deal than that!

traalfaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages traalfaz
yeawuteva wrote:I bet 100% of the people reading this woot have a video camera in their cell phone and don't really "need" this product

I don't. My phone is just a phone, and I have no intention of upgrading it (heck, I rarely turn it on). But I still don't need this product either.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
bnlfanmatt wrote:Amazon has it as 3.5* on 459 reviews. The most common complaint is that it doesn't work well for some users, the USB arm doesn't fit correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-MinoHD-Video-Camera-Generation/dp/B002R5AM7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299218448&sr=8-1

Half the reviews on Amazon (for most products) are written by fools who either have way to big expectations or never read the manuals. My favorite: "I was weary of this product but I bought one." I think they meant to use an "L."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

genii69

quality posts: 8 Private Messages genii69

I am in for one. I bought one in October and I love it. I am doing some video stuff where I want to record from more than one angle so I have been watching for this Woot.

Here is a video that I recorded of our school's marching band using this same Flip. I think it came out great. There are some other videos on my YouTube channel that I used the Flip on also. They are in various lighting settings so they show the camera's strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFt3b1xU1No

lebert22

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lebert22

What ???? Having an Off night Nightghost???

Leeebs

Bazirker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bazirker

Can anyone comment on how these perform in low-light situations? I'm considering getting one for my mother-in-law to use for documenting info about her antiques, some of which are in a poorly lit basement.

Thanks for all the info so far!

yosigolb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yosigolb

Can anyone comment on the ease of use to get the captured video on to facebook or youtube? Will I need to run it through converting programs? Or plug in USB, upload straight to facebook? Thanks

wustedwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wustedwoot

Charlie Sheen has one of these....wwwwWINNING!!!

rhythmchanges

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rhythmchanges

You used a mini-HD cam to record a mini-marching band! Genius.
(They did a good job, btw.)

genii69 wrote:I am in for one. I bought one in October and I love it. I am doing some video stuff where I want to record from more than one angle so I have been watching for this Woot.

Here is a video that I recorded of our school's marching band using this same Flip. I think it came out great. There are some other videos on my YouTube channel that I used the Flip on also. They are in various lighting settings so they show the camera's strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFt3b1xU1No

genii69

yosigolb wrote:Can anyone comment on the ease of use to get the captured video on to facebook or youtube? Will I need to run it through converting programs? Or plug in USB, upload straight to facebook? Thanks

I have uploaded to Facebook right from the included software but I think it looks better if you export the file from the Flip software to another location on your hard drive and then use Facebook's upload button to upload that file. It's very simple either way but the compression seems to be different depending on which way you do it.

genii69

rhythmchanges wrote:You used a mini-HD cam to record a mini-marching band! Genius.
(They did a good job, btw.)

Thanks... Yes I think they did a great job.

genii69

Bazirker wrote:Can anyone comment on how these perform in low-light situations? I'm considering getting one for my mother-in-law to use for documenting info about her antiques, some of which are in a poorly lit basement.

Thanks for all the info so far!

Here is a low light situation (A surprise birthday party in a house at night, with regular incandescent lighting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NNnUt5cKd4

askewme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages askewme

This thing is fantastic! I bought mine for about $220 brand new last year and still love it!

LHasenstab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LHasenstab

These are refurbished and the most common problem is that the swing arm didn't fit into the usb connector to recharge. If these were returned to the manufacturer, that's most likely why, and now it's fixed! I bought one last time they were on here and it's perfect -- no problems, clear videos, even an 8-yo could operate it. It holds the charge forever, even if it's just sitting.

robinpug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinpug

Is there a way to change quantity (to avoid a second shipping charge)-- I ordered one, now want two.

LHasenstab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LHasenstab
Zanesmom wrote:It doesn't include the mini HDMI cable. Dealbuster?

You can get them for $.99 at various places(Newegg, Geeks.com, etc)

flavorwrong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flavorwrong
rdctali wrote:Please don't sent it as a gift to other folks. Many people hate receiving refurbished gift.

What's with people complaining about what gifts they get? I've seen it happening more and more these days. Whatever people give me, I'm happy because otherwise I wouldn't have it. Maybe I was raised better or something.

Jayb2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jayb2009

That webcam would be awesome...as long as everything you want to record only happens in sight of your computer.

trialbyicecream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trialbyicecream

I'm really tempted to buy one... My Algebra students are going to be learning about parabolas soon and this would be a great way to film some projectile motion.

brentjcook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook
buffaloed wrote:I hate people who perceive gifts as a business transaction. They should be happy that someone thinks enough about them to use their time and resources to give them anything. People who hate 'refurbished' gifts shouldn't be given anything.

Agreed! I gave 2 of these as gifts last time they were wooted. The recipients were very happy to get them even though it was obvious they were refurbs.

jbrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrich
bnlfanmatt wrote:Amazon has it as 3.5* on 459 reviews. The most common complaint is that it doesn't work well for some users, the USB arm doesn't fit correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-MinoHD-Video-Camera-Generation/dp/B002R5AM7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299218448&sr=8-1

True, it doesn't plug in easily to my Dell desktop, but most people have a USB cable lying around. Problem easily solved.

jbrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrich

I have this model and the older non-HD Flip. Sure, the video is better, but the audio on the older model is MUCH better, especially at capturing higher decibel levels without distortion. If you record a lot of live music, the HD Flip will disappoint, if you want to take vids of the kids etc. It rocks.

dextly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dextly

For those for whom this is an issue, you can't use an external mic with the Flip Mino HD.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

robinpug wrote:Is there a way to change quantity (to avoid a second shipping charge)-- I ordered one, now want two.

Email member services at service@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns regarding your order. Please remember to include your username and order number so they can assist you in a timely manner.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Bboydrewtacular

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bboydrewtacular
jiahn603 wrote:Does anyone have experience with this in cold weather? i.e. 20 degrees and below. I really am in the market for a video device to go snowboarding with. just wondering how bad does the battery suffer in the cold?

I use my Kodak Play it does 720p @ 60 fps plus its water proof and has expandable memory. Flips suck. Stay Steezy, bro.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I bought this for my daughter a few months back and paid more for it than Woot is offering.
The video quality for so-called 1080P HD is amazingly overrated. The images are adequate for YouTube but not even close to an old school SVHS video. My Samsung Galaxy Epic cell phone takes about the same quality video in HD mode. The small size of the MinoHD makes it convenient for simple amateur shaky videos.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

emeraldjewelstn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldjewelstn
belowi wrote:Reviews say that yes you can zoom during recording on this model.

Yes you can. I ordered this exact one said 2 hour recorder but one I got only does one hour. I kept it anyway. The eye is small so I bought an add on magnetic fish eye lens cover that mafes the shots rider angle and helps with light infraction. For the snowboarder you can get a water proof protection case. Used it on the boat a lot while ppl were wake boarding some nice video. The mic picks up a lot of ambient noise but nice quality if u don't want to lug a full size camcorder perfect for Facebook YouTube video sharing. Mine was a refurbished one glad to know about reset maybe mine will get 2 he's recording if I try it.

Woot and here I've always been told drugs are addictive ain't got nuthin in the big "W" *grins*

CurtCameron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CurtCameron
yeawuteva wrote:I bet 100% of the people reading this woot have a video camera in their cell phone and don't really "need" this product

And by "100%" you mean "most," right? My Blackberry 8800 has no camera at all.

Besides, phone cameras have really crappy pictures usually. I would hope this Flip device is way better than that (and by the looks of the 50th birthday party that someone posted a YouTube of earlier, it's pretty darn good).

I'm in for one.

emeraldjewelstn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emeraldjewelstn
brentjcook wrote:Agreed! I gave 2 of these as gifts last time they were wooted. The recipients were very happy to get them even though it was obvious they were refurbs.

Refurbished is great if they work and have been factory checked & repackaged definitely not the dame as regifting. I gave these as gifts and they were a huge hit. I think they even make skins "the vinyl stickers" to further personalize them.

Woot and here I've always been told drugs are addictive ain't got nuthin in the big "W" *grins*

Bazirker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bazirker
genii69 wrote:Here is a low light situation (A surprise birthday party in a house at night, with regular incandescent lighting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NNnUt5cKd4

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to see. In for one! If I determined who gets points for "quality posts", you, sir, would be getting one.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
CurtCameron wrote:And by "100%" you mean "most," right? My Blackberry 8800 has no camera at all.

Besides, phone cameras have really crappy pictures usually. I would hope this Flip device is way better than that (and by the looks of the 50th birthday party that someone posted a YouTube of earlier, it's pretty darn good).

I'm in for one.

Umm... time to upgrade your cell phone to something newer. Most smart phones offered today offer 5 mp and up image sensors and HD video. The video quality of the new smart phones are basically identical to these flip cameras.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

hotrod4x5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hotrod4x5

I got one before Christmas last year, same price, which is nice to see it hasnt gone down. Anyway, I love mine! It does have it's limits, but for what you pay this thing is awesome. Great picture. Zoom is almost useless, as are all digital zooms. The editing software you get is really pretty good.

dealchicky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dealchicky

I have one of these but the video in my point & shoot is better.

eagrayelk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eagrayelk
radi0j0hn wrote:Half the reviews on Amazon (for most products) are written by fools who either have way to big expectations or never read the manuals. My favorite: "I was weary of this product but I bought one." I think they meant to use an "L."

Or maybe keep the "w" but lose the "e".

I have two older model Flips and use the newer one when it's not convenient to carry a larger or more expensive camera. It wouldn't be my first choice for recording a significant family event but works great for most other occasions.

My 9- and 12-year-olds have inherited the older one and have a great time with it.

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude
Ringo4422 wrote:Umm... time to upgrade your cell phone to something newer. Most smart phones offered today offer 5 mp and up image sensors and HD video. The video quality of the new smart phones are basically identical to these flip cameras.

There are still businesses that REQUIRE a cellphone that has NO Camera attachment for security reasons.. Im partially guessing this is why the users Blackberry has no camera.. So upgrading his BB for video might not be an option.

Personally I dont like dialing using a touchscreen and paying for overpriced data usage fees on a phone. It actually makes it difficult to find a higher end non touchscreen intelligent phone (phone that has features but isnt a "smart phone"..)

rdctali

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rdctali
LastApeMan wrote:LOL - Please?

Wow,

Many people? What kind of person do you mean? You perhaps?

It's a Gift for god's sakes. You Hate Gifts? I wonder what kind of person would concider giving a gift to some one so picky?

In that case, you probably don't even care whether there is a label saying "refurbished" or not!!! Why asking that question then?