Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

How are we coping with the recession? If we can trust stock photography - and of course we can - we're touching our heads...

Yes, we paid for the rights to use these. That means you should, too, if you plan to use them yourself.

saltone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saltone

Hil...... wait for it .....larious, Hilarious!

"What the hell are we doing fighting government, let's become government and we can then take whatever we want!".
Al Capone

erob54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erob54

Judging by these pictures life is tough being white upper middle class....

grantdavis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grantdavis

Why is Harrison Ford so upset???

MrSparkleQ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrSparkleQ

classic. I also enjoy the taking off of the glasses and leaving credit cards out on the desk.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

All of these are completely accurate depictions.
Except for the woman making paper donkey ears.

ozshaw23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozshaw23

Judging by paper bills and their circa-1980s calculators, they could also just be confounded by all this new fangled electronic billing and internets.

Jason Toon

ozshaw23 wrote:Judging by paper bills and their circa-1980s calculators, they could also just be confounded by all this new fangled electronic billing and internets.

The information age must make things tough for stock photographers. Paying bills, shopping, dating, keeping up with old friends, banking, research: it's all just people sitting at a computer nowadays.

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

Sing along ...

I don't have -
Any money left.
When I get new bills in
I touch myself.

I had some cash
before the last woot off
I could not resist
I could not get e-nough
Got a monkey
(passed on the fondue)
I f5 all day long
I'd pay one dollar for you

I don't have -
Any money left.
When I get new bills in
I touch myself.

saltone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saltone

you really paid for these pictures? What is your Blog budget?

"What the hell are we doing fighting government, let's become government and we can then take whatever we want!".
Al Capone

darkdeity

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkdeity

I am a little boggled by this whole thing. Making a point of spending money on photographs of people who are supposedly ill at ease because of a lack of money seems unnecessary or perhaps misdirected. Somehow I think if you offered even half of what you paid for these, instead to your wooters, you'd have gotten higher quality face palms and head touchings alike and more of them! I truly feel that you've wasted money that could have been better distributed to your loyal wooters as a reward for a little bit of effort. They'd have likely turned around and reinvested it on something from your wonderful inventory as well. In summary I must don the sadface for everyone involved. The readers for being blatantly informed that money has been wasted on sad people pictures and woot staff that missed out on a good opportunity to give back to the community a little.

nuurgle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nuurgle

My favorite is definitely the last one.

"I can't afford to pay these bills, so I'll make antlers out of them!"

ceemichael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceemichael

Extreme Like! Beast Mode Like!

Now help pay for a new keyboard. There's coffee spat all over this one.

Jason Toon

darkdeity wrote:I am a little boggled by this whole thing. Making a point of spending money on photographs of people who are supposedly ill at ease because of a lack of money seems unnecessary or perhaps misdirected. Somehow I think if you offered even half of what you paid for these, instead to your wooters, you'd have gotten higher quality face palms and head touchings alike and more of them! I truly feel that you've wasted money that could have been better distributed to your loyal wooters as a reward for a little bit of effort. They'd have likely turned around and reinvested it on something from your wonderful inventory as well. In summary I must don the sadface for everyone involved. The readers for being blatantly informed that money has been wasted on sad people pictures and woot staff that missed out on a good opportunity to give back to the community a little.

These pictures cost us about four bucks apiece. We're not exactly talking big money here even by our penny-pinching standards.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

I think the couple in picture nine is the couple in picture ten twenty-five years later. And they still have problems paying the bills.

noworriespete

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noworriespete
darkdeity wrote:I am a little boggled by this whole thing. Making a point of spending money on photographs of people who are supposedly ill at ease because of a lack of money seems unnecessary or perhaps misdirected. Somehow I think if you offered even half of what you paid for these, instead to your wooters, you'd have gotten higher quality face palms and head touchings alike and more of them! I truly feel that you've wasted money that could have been better distributed to your loyal wooters as a reward for a little bit of effort. They'd have likely turned around and reinvested it on something from your wonderful inventory as well. In summary I must don the sadface for everyone involved. The readers for being blatantly informed that money has been wasted on sad people pictures and woot staff that missed out on a good opportunity to give back to the community a little.

The point of this post isn't just a collection of people with bills touching their heads.

The point is that stock photos are a type of cultural barometer. Since the recession, photographers (the ones who make a living off stock photos anyway, all 25 of them) have been asking themselves: "What looks like people stressed out in this economy?" Their answer: people, looking at a pile of bills, touching their heads.

Its funny (and it's not funny to explain jokes, I know) because they are all doing the same thing. I guess we have no other way of showing stress than touching our head.

The reason the author needed to use stock photos is because they show us our cultural cliches. The fact that there are so many pictures like this make it cliche. Some other blog ideas would be people looking happy with the wind in their faces or people looking into the sun during moments of joy.

Anyway, If Woot asked for pictures of people hanging upside down from their ceiling fans screaming (and touching their heads), they would get TONS of entries (and a few lawsuits to boot). But wouldn't that just be a bunch of pictures of the same thing? What's the point of that?

Oh, and the donkey ears comment made me laugh. Hard.

stargazer34683

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargazer34683

All I know is that sexy woman in picture 9. Will have no problems in this economy. She will just look at some other wealthy dude with her piercing eyes and move on. Notice she doesn't look too upset. Now you know why.

bradleyvoytek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradleyvoytek

As a neuroscientist, we have pinpointed the regions of the brain responsible for this type of head-touching behavior.
http://blog.ketyov.com/2011/02/scientific-acupunture.html

I love these kinds of tropes. They're the advertising and journalism equivalents of political talking-points that the Daily Show makes fun of.

Absolutcrobi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Absolutcrobi

#10 isn't looking at bills, they are either looking at the results of a pregnancy test, or a std test.

alunj

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alunj

You've got it all the wrong way round. Cause and effect - touching your head too much causes you to develop an urge to pile up papers and credit cards.

taylaar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylaar

Another example: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/108269709/Vetta

shamikd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shamikd
grantdavis wrote:Why is Harrison Ford so upset???

He owes Jabba money. He is in deep poodoo.

nicocinocco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicocinocco

I call bogus - didn't see a bottle (or glass) of hooch in any of these pix.

And none look like loyal wooters - getting all bent over numbers on paper as if they were real.