marccox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marccox

Buckyballs vs Zen Magnets from the owner of Zen Magnets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Tka4NUmUo

Unique616

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Unique616

The term "rare earth" can be misleading as the metals used to make them aren't particularly rare or precious. They are about as abundant as tin or lead.

I believe the name comes from the fact that they're extremely brittle and also vulnerable to corrosion, so they are usually plated or coated to protect them from breaking and chipping.

disturbed0ne

quality posts: 9 Private Messages disturbed0ne
Unique616 wrote:The term "rare earth" can be misleading as the metals used to make them aren't particularly rare or precious. They are about as abundant as tin or lead.

I believe the name comes from the fact that they're extremely brittle and also vulnerable to corrosion, so they are usually plated or coated to protect them from breaking and chipping.

It's because of the scarcity with which they are found in amounts large enough to be economically useful.

From the wiki page for rare earth elements (you only pasted from the magnets page )

boney04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boney04

How long will it take for the green to rub off on your fingers?

Zia Lia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zia Lia

I wish I could, but I keep wearing through the coatings. I think it may be time to switch to a new nervous habit.

bigword123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigword123
basileverstar wrote:If you want to know what they "do" then look at this video on their website: http://www.getbuckyballs.com/

As for the "deal," it is just regular pricing but offering a color they don't normally offer. Not worth it to me just to get green...

The "deal" is that it's a 2-pack, so it's HALF the regular price for each set! It's basically buy-one-get-one-free exclusive green Buckyballs!

acsullivan20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acsullivan20

oh woot, what is it with you and buckyballs?

wildbill57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildbill57

Don't Bother, I bought these last time they weren't green, but they are TINY. Huge disappointment. They are about BB sized. I've got one unopened set because I was going to use them as a thank you gift, but would have been embarrassed to give them.

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome

Actually, these are _Great_ fun to play with, you can make all kinds of shapes. Once you get them out of the box in their nice "cube shape", it seems impossible to get them back into the box as a cube, but a quick search on youtube shows you how to do this fairly easily; there's a bit of a trick to it, but it is easy to do. I bought a set from thinkgeek.com awhile back for substantially more, this is a great deal and a perfect Christmas present for younger relatives. Great price, Great fun!!

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

I picked up some of these around Christmas. They're addicting, and really fun to have on your desk at work. In for another two-fer to split with a friend.

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

bderinger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bderinger

Bucky Balls, Bucky Balls
What a waste of time
Bucky Balls, Bucky Balls
I can't wait to make you mine.

So much time to waste.
So few toys.
This should help.

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome

Actually, the more I looked at them, despite the fact that I already have a set of silver ones, I couldn't resist, in for one!

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo

I love Buckyballs, I got a set this year for Christmas and immediately took them to work with me because I have 3 very small children and several pets.

They make a great work play toy for those who are stuck behind a desk. They make a great stress reliever, not just from playing with them and building but from just squeezing them in your hand.

Seems like they would make a great utility to test someone's intelligence too. Just ask someone to build a 4x4x4 cube using them and see.

I would be in for more if only they were so expensive or if they weren't green because they won't match my other set.

Mr70Mopar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mr70Mopar

How can ya miss with little green magnetic balls?! Marvin the martian appreciates it everytime you touch them. In for one

Mopar Guy looking for good deals

whitekenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages whitekenny

wow...product description ripped right form the woot product page, and even kept links to woots video and images.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-Pack-Green-Buckyballs-216-Piece-Magnetic-Set-/140524404043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7e83d4b

are you even allowed to sell stuff on eBay that you don't have in your possession?

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors
mkentosh wrote:what makes them limited?????

When I don't buy a set (because I don't like tiny balls) then someone else will buy that same set I didn't buy. And when that happens, they will be limited by one fewer set available in the market place. Until, of course, that person returns them because he realizes woot is a place for high tech cool stuff and not whispy crap. Here endeth the Business 101 lesson.

CandaceO

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CandaceO
dontwantaname wrote:
Rusty had been left alone in the house for months without destroying anything.

You left your dog at home alone for months? =^o

HowlingMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HowlingMan

But how do they work?

bspiegel21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bspiegel21

Just make sure you don't have small kids. My brother is an er doc and has had some close calls whth these in small childrens intestines.

chadatwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadatwoot

How many leprechauns had to die to produce this item?

aktempi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aktempi
bigword123 wrote:The "deal" is that it's a 2-pack, so it's HALF the regular price for each set! It's basically buy-one-get-one-free exclusive green Buckyballs!

I was just about to point this out - 2 for one on an exclusive color is pretty awesome. They get played with by everyone that comes into my office - even my boss! Fantastic toy, and easy to make satisfying things out of.

-}i{

hnsez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hnsez

Here is a flickr photo stream looking at Buckyballs black and gold coating quality

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecurtise/5356754208/

dwcfastrice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dwcfastrice

Yay! Just got my first set of balls!!!

Oh.... wait a second....

Dave Chang
Pokemonville, PA 18074

kessalia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kessalia

Aww man... I already have three sets in three colors... But green, I love green.... But who needs five sets? Arg. I guess I do.

slappywhite2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slappywhite2001

tiny green magnets
make them into a shamrock
then get back to work

I do enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich.

isuftin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isuftin

Would much rather have a set of Zen magnets.

jkingiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkingiii

Do they work on a Mac?

Woody1150

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Woody1150
SXN wrote:more over priced rare earth magnets, booo

Not really. It's a 2 pack. Usually 1 set alone costs $30. More if its something other than the standard chrome finish.

reemrevnivek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages reemrevnivek
acdawg wrote:Here's a completely biased review of Buckyballs compared to Zen Magnets.

Saying that it's biased is a little misleading. If that's the video I'm thinking of, it's a response from a Zen Magnets rep to a threat to sue by the CEO of Buckyballs. The video includes a side-by-side comparison scientifically evaluating the finish, strength, and tolerancing of both manufacturers' products. Zen Magnets wins on all counts, and, while this may seem biased, I haven't heard about any evidence to the contrary.

Deals.Woot has previously sold Zen Magnets. C'mon, Woot, don't support a slimy company like Buckyballs - Sell the better, cheaper products from the little guy. Although, you're not really the little guy anymore, are you?

Some of the videos have been taken down by bogus DMCA claims from Buckyballs (See this Slashdot post), so here's a few other links:
One Video Mirror
Original video link

--
reemrevnivek

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
whitekenny wrote:wow...product description ripped right form the woot product page, and even kept links to woots video and images.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-Pack-Green-Buckyballs-216-Piece-Magnetic-Set-/140524404043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7e83d4b

are you even allowed to sell stuff on eBay that you don't have in your possession?

Checking out this guy's eBay ratings it appears he is making some decent money selling stuff he's bought from Woot! and Deals.Woot to people who don't realize those sites exist...

I think that's called Capitalism...

As for copying the Woot! writeup, I think that's called theft of intellectual property...

Which may be the first time anyone has ever called the Woot! writeups intellectual property...

Woody1150

Buckyball warnings:

• Pregnant women, the elderly, pets and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Bucky balls.
  • Bucky balls may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
  • Bucky balls contain a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
  • Do not use Bucky balls on concrete.
  • Discontinue use of Bucky balls if any of the following occurs:

- itching
- vertigo
- dizziness
- tingling of extremities
- loss of balance or coordination
- slurred speech
- temporary blindness
- profuse sweating
- heart palpitations

• If Bucky balls begin to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
  • Bucky balls may stick to certain types of skin.
  • When not in use, Bucky balls should be returned to the special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieve the makers of Bucky balls and it's parent company of any liability.
  • Ingredients of Bucky balls include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.
  • Bucky balls have been shipped to our troops in Afghanistan and is also being dropped by our war planes on Iraq.
  • Do not taunt Bucky balls.

bigroblee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigroblee
basileverstar wrote:

As for the "deal," it is just regular pricing but offering a color they don't normally offer. Not worth it to me just to get green...

I believe normally these are about 30 bucks, but this is for a pack of two, so its not only the limited color but a substantial discount.

~Robert L~

tfsmithwv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tfsmithwv

So what happens if you load these into your shotgun shells. Solid mass till it hits? Sticks to barrel? Sticks in magazine? WhatIF

Woody1150

tfsmithwv wrote:So what happens if you load these into your shotgun shells. Solid mass till it hits? Sticks to barrel? Sticks in magazine? WhatIF

You know, that could probably become a new art form. Load these up into a shell, shoot at a metal target and viola! Instant art piece.

joshuarshultz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshuarshultz

its not even two for tuesday and i get 2 for 1 ...how can i resist this oFFER!

pahayden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pahayden

Woot, I have a great business plan for you. Just keep selling different colors of Bucky Balls each day. Just buy as many silver ones as you possibly can (at a great volume discount, I'm sure) and paint them yourselves. I'm a complete sucker, and I'm guaranteed to buy a set of every color I see on here!

billstew

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billstew
omgwin wrote:Not a deal breaker, if you were interested. But the coating on the photoshoot set is already cracking. Click through the front page pictures to see yourself.

I'm not sure that's a crack in the finish. I believe it's a reflection of the adjacent bucky.

gmlippert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmlippert
bderinger wrote:Bucky Balls, Bucky Balls
What a waste of time
Bucky Balls, Bucky Balls
I can't wait to make you mine.

So much time to waste.
So few toys.
This should help.

perhaps you should get a boat? i waste plenty of time working on mine

alcimedes

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alcimedes

So I've purchased *many* sets of these little magnets in the past.

After a year of use, I have the following to say about them.

1. They are endlessly entertaining. I can't imagine how much time I've wasted building random shapes with these magnets.

2. They're too strong to have around pets or kids. Great office toy, but not one to have around the house if you have little ones around.

3. The quality. I'm not really impressed on this front. I don't beat them up or abuse them, but the coating on most of them is chipped and flaking. Some of them have large gouges where material has broken off.

For the price, I'd expect more. I only ever got them on 2 for Tuesdays, but at this price they really need to be more durable.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Bucky Balls... didn't he used to do mornings on KROQ?

------------------
I Bet on Sky