disturbed0ne

quality posts: 9 Private Messages disturbed0ne
skynite08 wrote:Refurbished 32GB from Apple is $199

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC008?mco=MTM3NzY1NzA

The $199 is for the previous generation. No camera, lower res screen, and no built in mic (it comes instead with earbuds that have an inline mic).

The Touch equivalent to the woot one is this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC544LL/A?mco=MjEzOTMxNzM

$259

vwoom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwoom

$184.99 for a refurb?..I just got a brand spanking new MC540LL/A from a past US Bank Free Checking promo from UPS last week. They slapped me the $199 value as interest accrued. Anyways, haven't even opened the box yet...plan to give it to my gf. It's not that I don't like Apple (actually have a Snow Leopard modded black MacBook) but just don't have any interest in an iPod at the moment (waiting to get that iPhone 5)...

SchmooBro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SchmooBro

NO, No ... that was the prior gen -- released Sept 2009.

32 G Refurb of current gen is more like $260 at the Apple Site.

My $30 Sansas that accept a micro SD card are looking better, once again....

Carnivore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Carnivore

Does this support Instagram using wi-fi or is that just an iPhone thing?

alchemist08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alchemist08
NightGhost wrote:I linked to the Rockbox website that says it is, and I don't work for Woot.

Yes, you linked to the site that said that Rockbox is NOT compatible with the Touch.

WindRunner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages WindRunner

This would so clash with my Android phone/web browser/music player/app store/thingy.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
sansagreen wrote:lol, He is employed by woot. And it is not Rockbox compatible.

No, he isn't.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

freelance

quality posts: 15 Private Messages freelance
whcodered wrote:You want to look at their refurbs: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC540LL/A?mco=MjEzOTMxODM

(Woot's offering is refurbished as well. Keep in mind that all Apple refurbs have a brand new outer "shell", so it will appear to be brand new.)

And this one comes with a 90 day limited warranty. The one from Apple has 1 yr. If you pay with AmEX it doubles your warranty. I think with a VISA (depending which one) it gives you 2 extra yrs. Fix or full refund.

I had a claim to fix an HP computer and AMEX decided tor refund the full purchase price instead of fixing it.

**** Woot!
***Woot!

whcodered

quality posts: 11 Private Messages whcodered
Carnivore wrote:Does this support Instagram using wi-fi or is that just an iPhone thing?

Works just fine with wifi!

sjchampion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjchampion

Yes, but it is previous generation...

dvaamco

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dvaamco

Zune deal please.... mine is fine, I just want a spare or three.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

That's the Previous 3rd Generation.

32GB 4th Generation is $260 at the Apple Store.

Apple Store Refurbished iPod Touch 3rd & Current 4th Generation Released Sept. 2009 & Sept. 2010

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
alchemist08 wrote:Yes, you linked to the site that said that Rockbox is NOT compatible with the Touch.

Oops - my bad - misread that, and I have a friend who runs it. He must be running Rockbox as an application on his.

But I don't work for Woot.

SaintWacko

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SaintWacko
mdnorman wrote:So... Am I to understand that this iPod device requires no subscription of any kind for web access?

No more than any other wifi-capable device. You can connect to any wireless network, but you won't get 3G data.

Knowledge is power,
Power corrupts,
Study hard, be evil.

Woots:
2X Sandisk Sansa Clip 2gb, April Fool's Boggy Old Creature, Anniversary edition Boggy Old Creature

eberin

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eberin
mdnorman wrote:Is there any reason why someone who owns an iPhone would want or need to own this iPod?

Yes - I have an iPhone 4 and an 2nd Gen 32GB Touch. I leave the iPhone 4 as a phone (what a concept) and use the Touch as my WiFi device. The battery power required to use WiFi can take over 1/2 capacity in an 8 hour work day. I use the Touch to get my work email, surf, etc. At the end of the day, I recharge the Touch while the phone is still ready to take long calls. It can be on standby 12 hours/day for up to 4 days before recharging. No calls are missed.

Sure - pretty extravagant to use Touch/iPhone combination, but the resale value of the Touch is nearly 25 cents on the dollar for what I paid. May as well use it like a 2nd battery for my iPhone.

borntohunt

NightGhost wrote:My personal review, updated:

Later that day we had to drive to an office, and my wife panicked because she didn't know how to get to the address, and had left her GPS at work. iPod touch to the rescue again. Note that the Touch has a GPS-like feature that uses WiFi (described in links below).

iPhone, iPod Touch Get GPS-like Capability

iPhone and iPod Touch added with GPS-like capability

Apple "podmaps" patent reveals GPS-like directions for iPod

That sounds like the good "Maps" feature in the description which looks very helpful:

"Maps: iPod touch pin points your location on a map and displays what’s around you using known Wi-Fi hotspots. It also finds point of interest by keyword. For instance, search for “coffee” and iPod touch shows cafes near you"

jgreen0101

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jgreen0101

Yeah, almost had me woot... wife wants a current gen ipod touch, and this is refurb - not always a bad thing, but I can go to my local Bestbuy and get one for $20 more (yes, I checked the price) that is brand new with full warranty and have it same day... amazon also has the same price as local retailer of $205 for a brand new unit.

dhspam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhspam
Leslie14 wrote:Does the face time camera allow you to take still pictures?

yes

NightGhost

rom wrote:Comparing an older iPod Touch 2G to the iPod Touch 4th Generation.

iPod Touch 4th Generation Review and Photos

Cool. Here's a blow up of a comparison of the displays. There's quite a difference, but your article clearly shows that it would less apparent in actual size.

sansagreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sansagreen
SchmooBro wrote:I would normally say that this would be the better deal, but Apple will also charge more for shipping and throw on some sales tax. In CA, that becomes significant.

So now I am out looking for coupons to reduce the price of the Square Trade Warranty, which has a good rep for quick service, and may supply the most economical way of the two options...

It sure can get a bit complicated to save a few bucks....

CORRECTION :: Their site says free shipping; guess I will give it a closer look.....

Use this code for a discount on a Squaredtrade warranty. ;) FBPREVIEW

eberin

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eberin
Leslie14 wrote:Does the face time camera allow you to take still pictures?

Be forewarned. The camera(s) are very low res. The front-facing camera (for Facetime)is VGA (640x480 30fps). The rear-facing camera, unlike the iPhone 4's 5mpixel camera, is a very modest 960x640 device - that's not even 1 megapixel. Note that's exactly the resolution of the Touch Retina display,so if you're not going to print or enlarge, you're OK.

mjregier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjregier
kylelmccoy wrote:Apple has either for 20$ more than their respective prices on woot. That 20$ buys you a year warranty from apple vs 90 days from woot.

I don't find them for 20$ more...I find 30$ more. Or you can get one a little cheaper of the previous generation, which would be fine for most people...seriously, who uses the camera on these things anyway?

But even if you to pay 30$ more, there's also tax on them from Apple...that's another 20$...which makes it 50$ more. That's over 1/4 of the price. You might as well save 50$ and buy the cheaper one with that big of a percentage difference.

borntohunt

Micro Center's web site has some good reasons for buying Refurbished products so we can feel more comfortable with buying them, but we always have Woot's 90-day warranty, too:

Good Reasons to Buy Refurbished

There are many reasons to purchase a refurbished item, but the best reason is the opportunity to get a great deal on a great product. So, put aside your doubts long enough to read this introduction to refurbished products and you’ll see how you can save money and get some amazing stuff.

Good Reason #1: Good Things Come in Refurbished Packages

First, forget the idea that all refurbished products are low-end, defective goods that aren’t worth the risk; absolutely not true. Refurbished products come from a variety of sources including:

Overstocked inventory
Opened box items
Customer returns
Demonstration units
Packaging or cosmetic damage

In many of these scenarios, the items labeled as refurbished are brand new or like new products that require no refurbishing. Such situations can include overstock items that simply need to be sold to make room for new products or new products opened by a retailer for a customer who wanted to see more and then bought something else. Items like these offer you all of the same functionality, features, and capabilities as the same product purchased new at full price, but you’ll pay a lot less. Smart.

Good Reason #2: One Man’s Return is Another Man’s Treasure

Not all customer returns are prompted by a product defect. Many times a product is returned because it just didn’t meet the customer’s needs. But, if there is a product defect, the product is returned to the manufacturer, inspected, the defect is corrected, and the item is repackaged as refurbished so it can be resold. Another opportunity to get a good-as-new product at a discounted price.

Good Reason #3: You Can Hit the Ground Running

Demonstration units are products that have been used in some capacity prior to resale. In most cases the product has been used in manufacturer tests or to demonstrate it at a tradeshow, or it has been used by a retailer to let customers see and try a product before they buy it. When the next new product comes to market, demo units are returned to the manufacturer where qualified technicians inspect each product’s functionality, clean, and repackage the item for sale as a refurbished product. A refurbished demo unit can be a great find as these items have previously performed at least to manufacturer standards. Think of it like buying a refurbished car. A car that already runs well is a great selling point.

Good Reason #4: It’s what’s Inside That Counts

Sometimes a product’s packaging gets damaged during shipping but the items inside are well protected and unaffected by damage to the box. Maybe a box has gotten wet, or the corner is crumpled. In some cases the product may have minor cosmetic damage like dents and scratches which rarely affect product functionality. Whatever the reason, if the item has to be repackaged either by the store or the manufacturer, the product will be inspected to be sure it has not been damaged and chances are it will be labeled as refurbished. Once again an opportunity to get a brand new item at a reduced price.

sansagreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sansagreen
mjregier wrote:I don't find them for 20$ more...I find 30$ more. Or you can get one a little cheaper of the previous generation, which would be fine for most people...seriously, who uses the camera on these things anyway?

But even if you to pay 30$ more, there's also tax on them from Apple...that's another 20$...which makes it 50$ more. That's over 1/4 of the price. You might as well save 50$ and buy the cheaper one with that big of a percentage difference.

Best Deal is the Brand New from Amazon. You get the 1 year warranty from Apple and you get free shipping+ No Tax= Peace of mind for at least a year on this overpriced product.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

How easy is it to fill up 8gb with songs and apps?

NightGhost

eberin wrote:Be forewarned. The camera(s) are very low res. The front-facing camera (for Facetime)is VGA (640x480 30fps). The rear-facing camera, unlike the iPhone 4's 5mpixel camera, is a very modest 960x640 device - that's not even 1 megapixel. Note that's exactly the resolution of the Touch Retina display,so if you're not going to print or enlarge, you're OK.

Yes - the camera is designed for 720p video, and stills that you'll only display on the device. Not that the res is 960 x 720, though.

borntohunt

DaZoneRanger wrote:How easy is it to fill up 8gb with songs and apps?

Videos can fill it up faster with someone earlier mentioning they had downloaded something like 30 movies to theirs for long trips.

NightGhost

DaZoneRanger wrote:How easy is it to fill up 8gb with songs and apps?

The apps are generally tiny. As for music, it obviously depends on what you have and what you want to put on. I have about 20GB of music on mine (32GB), and that works for me. But I have a friend who would like to load 100GB. My sons have 8GB Touches, and they just recycle their music when they get tired of it.

And if you store video, you can fill it in a heartbeat.

Dance2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dance2

I've had this model (with 32G - 16G would have been okay for me too) for about 6 months. Very slim and I use it for Music, Podcasts, News, Finance, and many apps including games. Photo is nothing special. Not a phone but can use Skype. Good Battery life. Overall...it's terrific. So many goodies in such a little package.

panthiest

quality posts: 11 Private Messages panthiest
gravityisweak wrote:Please sell a zune. I'm sick of buying ipods from them to randomly stop working days or weeks after their warranty expires. Other people might be happy upgrading to the newest model every year, but I'd like one that works properly for a while.

I still have my first gen video ipod. No problems.

borntohunt

whcodered wrote:You want to look at their refurbs: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC540LL/A?mco=MjEzOTMxODM

(Woot's offering is refurbished as well. Keep in mind that all Apple refurbs have a brand new outer "shell", so it will appear to be brand new.)

Also, Apple Store Refurbs come with a 1-year warranty like new ones.

employee3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages employee3

Previous version.

lincar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lincar
borntohunt wrote:Videos can fill it up faster with someone earlier mentioning they had downloaded something like 30 movies to theirs for long trips.

That was me, I have a 64 gb 4th gen. I love it and the screen is tiny but just right for me. The battery lasts at least 6-8 hours. I had a 5 hr flight to hawaii and used up just over half the battery for that trip.

mikeami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeami
dvaamco wrote:Zune deal please.... mine is fine, I just want a spare or three.

Bad news for Zune Fans, Microsoft just announced this week that they are ending the line. No new models.

luielilo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages luielilo

For someone that doesn't want to be tied down by a phone contract to get the Iphone this is a godsend. You have the all the features without the phone bill, if you still want to call someone though the Skype app is pretty decent with good WIFI. Though I do want to warn everyone, 8G might not be large enough once you start buying apps.

mikeami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeami

I got the 64Gb model a month ago, I would have jumped at the the 32Gb model at woot-sellout. I have to say that I love mine. Coolest app for me is RedLaser. Take a picture of any barcode and it will tell you the cheapest place to buy the product online.

terminatorgir

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terminatorgir
luielilo wrote:For someone that doesn't want to be tied down by a phone contract to get the Iphone this is a godsend. You have the all the features without the phone bill, if you still want to call someone though the Skype app is pretty decent with good WIFI. Though I do want to warn everyone, 8G might not be large enough once you start buying apps.

well, all the features besides a decent front facing camera. its like .3 megapixels or some crap like that

treykane

quality posts: 2 Private Messages treykane
eberin wrote:Yes - I have an iPhone 4 and an 2nd Gen 32GB Touch. I leave the iPhone 4 as a phone (what a concept) and use the Touch as my WiFi device. The battery power required to use WiFi can take over 1/2 capacity in an 8 hour work day. I use the Touch to get my work email, surf, etc. At the end of the day, I recharge the Touch while the phone is still ready to take long calls. It can be on standby 12 hours/day for up to 4 days before recharging. No calls are missed.

Sure - pretty extravagant to use Touch/iPhone combination, but the resale value of the Touch is nearly 25 cents on the dollar for what I paid. May as well use it like a 2nd battery for my iPhone.

I have an iPhone 4 and on a HEAVY use day I'll take the battery down to 25% in 24 hours, but thats about 8-10 hours of constant use... I keep a wall /car charger in my bag. Your method seems like a waste of money, time and pocket space.

ledissio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ledissio

I always need more storage. I wish it was a 32 GB iPod touch.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

One of these days I'll pick up an ipod touch. But I think I'll wait until my current 80gig dies. Even then though, I'd like to see the touches have a bigger capacity.