+ Add a Comment

puppyc73

quality posts: 3 Private Messages puppyc73
zzzaap wrote:I'm having trouble imagining a spot to place this where it will get some solar power and and the person on the other end will be able to clearly hear my voice at the same time.

Top left corner just under the tinted strip and right next to the A Pillar

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 44 Private Messages dernst_ca1
jdpman wrote:http://www.iogear.com/support/manual/GBHFK231_Manual.pdf

Heres the manual. As a Washingtonian I have one major concern that I read in a review on another site.... this is from the manual on page 10:

Using solar power

1. Place the Solar Power Bluetooth Car Kit under direct sunlight exposure with 45 degree angle, and have the solar panel facing toward sunlight.

2. Leave the Car Kit under sunlight exposure for 18 hours to have the device fully charged. The LED light on the Car Kit will light up during charging, and it will turn off when charge completes.

... So according to this it will only charge 2 months out of the year up here. The sun likes to hide from us behind varying amounts of clouds. Not a huge problem since you can always charge the old fashioned way but whats the fun in that?

LoL

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

muiriath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muiriath

In for 1. Let's see how well it does in my convertible.

oaarmysgt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oaarmysgt
gertiestn wrote:What's this crap doing on my rug site?

+173 internets to you!!!!

That is one internet for every rug sold!

6/1/2007 Random Crap 3
3/28/2008 Noise Canceling Headphones
4/1/2008 B&D Battery 2-4-2sday
7/30/2008 Webcam
9/23/2008 Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 Data Traveler 100
9/24/2008 RANDOM CRAP!

pweigman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pweigman

Attention all drivers... Get one now, please!

RedDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RedDawg
obob wrote:Anyone know if the charging cable connector is compatible with my Motorola Droid X? It looks very similar.

It would be nice not to need a tangle of multiple chargers/cables in the car.

It probably IS the same connector (Micro "B") but don't count on your Droid charger being able to power/charge this device or vice versa. Motorola, maddeningly, seems to be using a non-standard USB conductor/pin-out order for the DC leads to its Droid phones. I bought a hard-to-find USB cable with a Micro B connector on one end and a Mini B connector on the other so that I could use my Ryobi TEK4 RP4900 Portable Power Source to keep my Droid charge topped off when I am out and about, but it doesn't work because there is a conductor order incompatibility. BOOOOOO on Motorola.

shopmom61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shopmom61

How do you answer and send a call? Is it voice activated or do I have to press the button when it is mounted on the windshield?

dernst_ca1

So, here is the deal with this type of speakerphone.

The first point and the one that should be considered with the greatest weight is that if you live in a state wheretalking on the phone while driving is illegal and you own one of these, you get to curse and shake your finger at all the donks who are driving around slumped into their door yacking on the phone, or holding thier phone like a walkie talkie thinking that nobody would ever suspect.. its a phone. You will be the superior driver!

I dont have this one, but I do have a Blue Ant which is simaler.

The sound is great.
True duplex

The volume is really good until the phone or the speaker need charging.

My phones will auto connect (I carry - EVO & iPhone 4)

I dont talk a lot on the phone while driving and the conversations I do have are very short, I dont knwo how long any of these will last if you are a talker....

This is a pretty good price.

In California a ticket for talking on the phone (in hand) while driving is $200 plus its a moving violation so you get to go to traffic school. This is a bit cheaper.

I use a Solar charger that I got during a wootoff several years ago and charge it for perhpas an hour every two months. I have not charged it longer than that in over two years.

-JMHSRV

kringansaha

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kringansaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRCOpg7KnY

Whoa!!! What is bluetooth??????????????

gregdanielius

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gregdanielius

This post wins, good sir or ma'am.

javaheidi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javaheidi

Right???

Heidi Paulsen

anangphatak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anangphatak

If this thing is solar charged....the wire the charger are really of no use...except for a rainy day (pun intended)....right?

tonyjr1161

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyjr1161

these suck.... spend you're money on a newer vehicle that already is blue tooth capable..

TheBeak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheBeak

We have 2 of these, got them for a song at a local retailer.

they work really well. The solar pannel will charge the device, and keep it charged.

the charger that comes with it is a car power port to USB charger, and comes with a USB to micro USB cable. Super handy for charging anything that plugs into USB.

Think of it this way: 20 bucks for a really useful car power to USB charger, that comes free with a nice useful solar powered bluetooth handsfree device.

javaheidi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javaheidi

OK, so I watched the negative youtube review. Seems he's got a point. Solar charging is a great bonus, but the thing is only as good as it sounds. It is, after all, a speaker. Anyone who has any first hand experience wish to comment? If I get some real live commentary, I'm thinking about buying one for each of our 3 cars. But I don't want to waste my money if it's actually just a "piece of crap"!!

Heidi Paulsen

dernst_ca1

javaheidi wrote:OK, so I watched the negative youtube review. Seems he's got a point. Solar charging is a great bonus, but the thing is only as good as it sounds. It is, after all, a speaker. Anyone who has any first hand experience wish to comment? If I get some real live commentary, I'm thinking about buying one for each of our 3 cars. But I don't want to waste my money if it's actually just a "piece of crap"!!

I really like my blue ant speakerphone. If you're on the fence with this, incest in them. But buy a solar charger ($15) and use that to charge them every so often.

-JMHSRV

dernst_ca1

dernst_ca1 wrote:I really like my blue ant speakerphone. If you're on the fence with this, incest in them. But buy a solar charger ($15) and use that to charge them every so often.

Er...... Invest

-JMHSRV

dbsidney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbsidney

"Er...... Invest"

Baaaahhh hahahahaha!!!

joenajera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages joenajera

I'm in for 1. We were looking for something just like this.

Thanks, Woot!

kschang

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kschang
phacopida wrote:Can it be completely charged using the solar panel only?

If it's anything like my existing one (from AnyCom) (seem to be the same thing albeit with buttons in different places and different plug), no. All that solar panel does is delays the battery depletion. I still have to charge it about once a week. Fortunately it's pretty fast.

CAisBurning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CAisBurning
dernst_ca1 wrote:I really like my blue ant speakerphone. If you're on the fence with this, incest in them. But buy a solar charger ($15) and use that to charge them every so often.

As much as I like to incest, I'm not even related to blue ant.

sidecarsally

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sidecarsally

Will this thing work with my first generation Zune?

AZScott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AZScott

I owned a similar device and learned that it is not recommended for areas that have extreme heat and lots of sun.

The first issue I had was the sun baked the mount "torched" the suction cups to the point they nearly turned black and the heat warped the mount bad enough it could barely hold the device.

A few weeks later the combination of the heat and near non stop charging of the Arizona sun caused the battery to expand and destroy the rest of the device.

With the exception of it's vampire suicide I was happy with it

kschang

showcaller wrote:one button does it all depending on how long you hold it in and release it. I find this confusing and disconcerting.

The only times you need to touch the buttons are on/off (long press), and answer / voice dial (short tap).

kschang

zzzaap wrote:I'm having trouble imagining a spot to place this where it will get some solar power and and the person on the other end will be able to clearly hear my voice at the same time.

The usual recommended location is upper/left corner of the windshield (inside, of course). My AnyCom solar car kit (SCH-200 I think) recommends that location if you use the suction cups. I put it just below the tint strip that covers the top of the windshield.

Though this one also comes with a visor mount.

untwed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages untwed

Will it work in my prius?

porterlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porterlu
muiriath wrote:In for 1. Let's see how well it does in my convertible.

Likewise. Always skeptical, ever hopeful.

prushik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prushik
RedDawg wrote:It probably IS the same connector (Micro "B") but don't count on your Droid charger being able to power/charge this device or vice versa. Motorola, maddeningly, seems to be using a non-standard USB conductor/pin-out order for the DC leads to its Droid phones. I bought a hard-to-find USB cable with a Micro B connector on one end and a Mini B connector on the other so that I could use my Ryobi TEK4 RP4900 Portable Power Source to keep my Droid charge topped off when I am out and about, but it doesn't work because there is a conductor order incompatibility. BOOOOOO on Motorola.

You sure about that? Some devices also need the data connection to charge as well, and won't charge if the USB cable supplies power only. The cable you bought may just be power only.

thehack2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehack2002

I live in Kansas City, Kansas.... that is all

madhack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madhack
tonyjr1161 wrote:these suck.... spend you're money on a newer vehicle that already is blue tooth capable..

What an incredibly helpful post. I will certainly spend I'm money on a replacement for a perfectly good car.

No, I won't. I'm in for one. Multi-point sold me -- I've still gotta carry a BlackBerry for work. For $20 a pop I could try a thousand such units and be ahead on replacing my car...

Supersox

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Supersox

kc5rbq

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kc5rbq

I have used cords made for crackberries on my Droid X with no problem. Mayhap the Ryobi doesn't provide enough current to charge.

RedDawg wrote:It probably IS the same connector (Micro "B") but don't count on your Droid charger being able to power/charge this device or vice versa. Motorola, maddeningly, seems to be using a non-standard USB conductor/pin-out order for the DC leads to its Droid phones. I bought a hard-to-find USB cable with a Micro B connector on one end and a Mini B connector on the other so that I could use my Ryobi TEK4 RP4900 Portable Power Source to keep my Droid charge topped off when I am out and about, but it doesn't work because there is a conductor order incompatibility. BOOOOOO on Motorola.

Echo Whiskey One

rgrcabbage

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgrcabbage

It's funny that the map shows lots of Oregonians Wooting on this when we're getting record rain. Solar devices just don't cut it here.

Sorry Woot, pass.

Crambe repetita.

Citabria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Citabria

Just gotta say, and this might be my first post.. anyone else think the write-up tonight was simply great?? Maybe I'm tired, but I thought it was terrific! :-)
And thanks for the great discussion on the pros and cons of this bluetooth deal. I'm totally agreeing with the person from WA, about the 2 months of the year use. I'm from NW WA and I've tried out some solar powered car gadgets before, one was a multiple phone charging solar kit, and the other probably some sort of battery trickle charger. The phone charging one worked great... when there was sunlight to be seen. ;-D And the other one sorta fizzled. So, if you live to the east of the Rockies, you're probably good to go, and west of them--park outside 24/7 under some nice bright street lights.

porterlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porterlu
unBoy wrote:warm weather is here. would it be foolish to try mounting this kitty on a motorcycle if it's not too loud?

You want to mount a speaker for your phone on a motorcycle... !?!

Tell me you are joking.

You are presumably (and hopefully) wearing a helmet in which case you wouldn't be able to hear and you wouldn't be heard. That is what in-helmet speaker/mics are for.

But all that is beside the point because *of course* riding a motorcycle is too loud for a speaker phone to work.

msobczyk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msobczyk
jdpman wrote:
The sun likes to hide from us behind varying amounts of clouds.

Just another reason to not live in Washington.

• Wine (x5)
  • Electronics (x11 (incl. 61" TV))
  • RC Controlled items (x3)
  • Roomba/Scooba (x3)
  • Box of Cobwebs(x4)
  • Other stuff (x5)

coryj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coryj

I have this exact model ($20 at Target on clearance a few months back).

After the initial charge, I have NEVER had to plug it in and have made 30-45 minute phone calls on it without it dying. It is worth noting I live in Arizona, so sun is pretty plentiful.

The quality on the other end was always described as good. My only complaint is the tiny speaker in it was not always loud enough to hear on the highway. All-in-all for the price, I would rather use this in a pinch than have a piece in my ear all the time.

azntzouie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azntzouie

This guy hated his and called it a "piece of crap" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otLCy5QKS5E

BUYERS BEWARE!

msobczyk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msobczyk

Haven't Woot'ed in awhile, but decided to pick one up for the wife.

• Wine (x5)
  • Electronics (x11 (incl. 61" TV))
  • RC Controlled items (x3)
  • Roomba/Scooba (x3)
  • Box of Cobwebs(x4)
  • Other stuff (x5)