aethera21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aethera21
dadof6 wrote:Looks lousy on Amazon ...

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SDVD8730-Dual-Screen-Portable-Player/dp/B003CGOWQ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302108966&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Thanks but no thanks...

That's actually the 8730...this is the 8732:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SDVD8732-7-Inch-Portable-Battery/dp/B0044FCQIG/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Only one review on this one, though it's not stellar.

mhaserodt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mhaserodt

I hear only 1 in every 3 of these work right, so everyone should buy 3 to make sure they get a good one.

eqizna

quality posts: 3 Private Messages eqizna
MrMushroom wrote:If I use 1 screen for each eye to watch will I get 3D

quality post

MrsZiggy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsZiggy
Skunkmonkey wrote:Know someone with annoying kids? Get them this so that the kids won't read during road trips, thus making them dumber.

That way your own children will have a better chance at getting ahead when they grow up.

It's an investment in your future, really.

In theory I agree with you but even as someone who strictly held to the no TV before 2 (which meant 3 for my oldest since my boys are only 15 months apart) parents have to take plenty of long car trips long before their kids can read. My 3 1/2 year old is just starting to 'read" by making up stories and reading the book to us but that may last him an hour or so and my 2 year old isn't there developmentally. I'd love to say I'm entertainment enough for them but alas they get sick of me during the day let alone upon being couped up in a car with me for hours.

raelalt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raelalt
jaeydee wrote:MP3 player?! When I was growing up it was all about the Walk-Man! I'd record songs from the radio for weeks beforehand so I'd have enough to listen to...

I bet you had to walk 10 miles in the snow to get to school. Uphill both ways.

Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:
BadDay

*** 6/1/2007 Bollocks Of Cthulthu ***
Nyah, nyah, na-yah, nyah!

tferoli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tferoli
NJScorpio wrote:Actually, he is a refurb.

+1

DocSpringfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DocSpringfield

Woot cant beat Newegg???

Lance19

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Lance19
dliidlii wrote:Not if you read the reviews.

I'm not sure I follow: I DID read the reviews
(which is why I said I wouldn't buy it)
and it's tendency to fail is why (if one were to get it)
I'd advise a few more bucks for new and more returnable

tilde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tilde
Skunkmonkey wrote:Know someone with annoying kids? Get them this so that the kids won't read during road trips, thus making them dumber.

That way your own children will have a better chance at getting ahead when they grow up.

It's an investment in your future, really.

Actually, while I don't have the research handy, I've been working with a Vision Therapist who agrees with "no reading in the car" for children, especially children (such as mine) with visual development impairments.

Teens and up are fine WRT reading in the car.

There is a surprising number of children with undiagnosed visual problems, both gifted and learning disabled, as well as children classed "normal" and "with behavior issues". Not sure if your kid has undiagnoised vision issues? Talk to your friendly Optho/Opto for a diagnostic eye exam!

nniesen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nniesen
jaeydee wrote:MP3 player?! When I was growing up it was all about the Walk-Man! I'd record songs from the radio for weeks beforehand so I'd have enough to listen to...

When I was a kid, we sang Kumbaya, played the alphabet game or slug-bug, and had AM radio.

clonger20

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clonger20
MrsZiggy wrote:In theory I agree with you but even as someone who strictly held to the no TV before 2 (which meant 3 for my oldest since my boys are only 15 months apart) parents have to take plenty of long car trips long before their kids can read. My 3 1/2 year old is just starting to 'read" by making up stories and reading the book to us but that may last him an hour or so and my 2 year old isn't there developmentally. I'd love to say I'm entertainment enough for them but alas they get sick of me during the day let alone upon being couped up in a car with me for hours.

Even tho we're on to the next item, I had to take a minute and throw some support/agreement your way.

When you limit electronic nanny at home, then road trip usage isn't such a bad thing. And little kids are locked in their 5 point harnesses or boosters with head restraints, so the freedom of movement (to juggle crayons, etc) just isn't there.

And don't get me started on ~my~ kids tendencies to get motion sick. Read, puke, burn an hour cleaning up, drive next 7+ hrs with the ever-present vapors... Good times.

mazar1977

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mazar1977
kreegah wrote:Ahhh, video thorazine for the kids on long car rides....

Hopefully I get this in time to keep my kids busy on the long ride from PA to AZ

DuckmanJeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DuckmanJeff
clonger20 wrote:Even tho we're on to the next item, I had to take a minute and throw some support/agreement your way.

When you limit electronic nanny at home, then road trip usage isn't such a bad thing. And little kids are locked in their 5 point harnesses or boosters with head restraints, so the freedom of movement (to juggle crayons, etc) just isn't there.

And don't get me started on ~my~ kids tendencies to get motion sick. Read, puke, burn an hour cleaning up, drive next 7+ hrs with the ever-present vapors... Good times.

Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt. The main reason for us having one of these is to prevent the future puke cleanups. You are not alone.