justinrageth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinrageth

Great e reader...those thinking that it is useless if b & N goes out of business are crazy. I have never purchased a book for it and it is full! There are always ways to get any book on it. There is a great free piece of software...forgot the name now...just search "nook" "software"

halltribe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages halltribe

NOOK VS KINDLE

I own both nook 3g/wifi and Kindle 3g/wifi.
I USED to love the nook more than my Kindle 3g.

I travel quite a bit, Stateside and overseas - and my e-reader is a faithful companion. I've always been able to order Kindle books through the Amazon website, then upload them to the Kindle via USB, no matter where I am in the world.

Well... a few hours ago, I went to the B&N site to order a book (I'm overseas for a month) and the order was declined: "...please be advised that these purchases are limited to those customers physically located in the United States and Canada."

You're kidding me right?! I guess it's back to my Kindle whenever I travel. My nook will be parked Stateside on my nightstand >o(

nancywilson77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancywilson77
clintone wrote:Haven't seen anyone ask this, so here goes...what might the effect be on getting books or using the Nook should B&N go out of business? Given that Amazon seems to be the current 900 pound gorilla, would a Kindle, despite any shortcomings, be the safer bet?

Barnes and Noble is not going out of business. If you look into the company, sales are way up since last quarter, thanks to nook. The digital wave of books is saving a lot of companies right now, including Amazon. Plus they have a great relationship with publishers in order to get more books published on digital format that Amazon.com.

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

I unexpectedly received a nook for xmas, and I've been happy with it so far. If you're browsing the web or using the touch screen at the bottom, the battery doesn't last too long. If you're using it as an ereader, the battery lasts long enough.

I've put a math book on it as several PDFs, graphics do show up, but for some reason it has trouble with limits and large fractions.

Very happy with it, would recommend to anyone.

kh99

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kh99

I'm probably repeating what a lot of people have said, but I have one of these and I like it. I bought a refurb (with the 3G) from the BN web site and paid $140. I like how you can use the small touch screen at the bottom to turn pages by swiping it in kind of the same motion you'd use to turn pages of a book. I have mine loaded up with free books I found online and haven't bought anything from BN yet.

I "rooted" it and played around with it, but there isn't really a lot of apps for it. The app development seems to have shifted to the color nook as soon as that became available. There is a pretty good crossword puzzle app that uses .puz files.

The one problem is that the battery life isn't what it should be according to the specs (and yes, I keep it in airplane mode, and I tried a new battery). I'd say it lasts about 8-10 hours when the specs say it should last a week or something like that. This hasn't really bothered me because I just plug it in when I'm not using it, but anyway, it could be that this model has that problem and that's why they have so many refurbs, I don't know. But I would say that other than the battery life issue the refurbed unit was in perfect condition like I would expect if I had bought it new (if you find the refurb page on the BN site there is a list of things they do to refurbish a unit).

alanbard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alanbard

as someone who saw the sf/fantasy bookstore he managed go out of business because of mr barney Noble, aw gee...
one of the best product descriptions ever...

chamclo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chamclo
clintone wrote:Haven't seen anyone ask this, so here goes...what might the effect be on getting books or using the Nook should B&N go out of business? Given that Amazon seems to be the current 900 pound gorilla, would a Kindle, despite any shortcomings, be the safer bet?

the nook is a multi-format e-reader, so even if you don't get the book from b&n, you can still get books. I know Books-A-Million's (where i work and where they're also sold) e-books work on it for sure. and, of course, b&n's

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

So, how does this compare with the Sony e-readers that woot sold a few times last year!
Except that they weren't 3G, they had more open reading access than Kindles, but people said these nooks were amazing. So, was I a fool to get the Sony.. which I haven't even used yet (so that's a yes).

arrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrith
ikeray wrote:@for the people talking about the library epub:

do you have to go to the library and have them check you out a book and then you come back and return or renew or do you just get the book digitally from the library's wifi and keep it forever?

For my local library I check out the book online, and return it online.. you don't get to keep the book forever it IS a library book after all.

smcallah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcallah
aetherchild wrote:One last gripe. Turning off 3G/Wifi may be called "airplane mode," but airlines still won't freakin' let you use the thing during takeoff or landing. "Sir, you have to turn off your computer." "It's not a computer, and it's in 'airplane mode'." "It doesn't matter what it is sir, all electronic devices must be stowed."

Sirius GPP.

It has always been that way on airplanes, even before laptop computers and smartphones were widespread. You have to turn off ALL electronic devices during takeoff. Just turning off radios isn't good enough. Kids had to turn off Gameboys back in the day, and kids still have to turn off any handheld games.

Airplane mode is just to turn off cell phone radios because they aren't allowed at all on planes, and to turn off wi-fi radios on planes where it is not allowed because there is no wi-fi service offered by the airline, so the plane hasn't been made ready for wi-fi to be used.

Dualll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dualll

B & N might not be going out of business, but Borders sure is suffering.

smcallah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcallah
huja wrote:My concern is that there are SO many of these refurb Nooks around. B&N sold 5,000 of the WiFi version last week on the big auction site for $79.99. Is there something fundamentally unsound about this device that require them to be refurbed?

Refurbished doesn't necessarily mean it was broken.

When someone returns a product that they have opened, but is not broken, they manufacturer cannot sell it as new. So they inspect the product to see if it is working, and package it as refurbished, and sell it. Usually that means it can sometimes be better than new, since someone verified that refurbished one actually works. That's not even always true for a brand new one in a box. Only spot checks are done on most brand new devices to see that the batch is working.

Sometimes you might get a shoddy refurb, but there are return policies for a reason.

PaganPup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaganPup

Count me as another satisfied customer. Bought mine in December at B&N. It works well, does what I want it to do, and is generally a pleasure to read. The only problem I've run into is some of the public domain books aren't as well proofread as I'd like and I find odd typos now and again. Not a big problem. I would suggest getting a cover for it. Mine takes a fair beating in my bag, but the cover takes the abuse and my Nook is in fine shape.

lucky77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucky77

Question, how many generations does the Nook have?

bear101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bear101

I have 2 questions. 1. Can you read this in the dark, or will I still have to use a booklight? 2. After B&N goes out of buisiness will we still have access to library books and/or books to buy from B&N?
Thanks

m1126

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m1126

There are so many tablet devices now~ More choices to choose!

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

One thing that makes me interested on 800-pound gorilla Amazon Kindle is that it's competition, which helps keep innovation higher and price lower.

Another is the support for the free format.

It's a bit tempting, but I don't think I'd get enough use, I like physical books.

The better e-ink sounds good too.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
epobirs wrote:You make it sound like there was need for frequent updates. This is a very specific function device and after the last major update there wasn't much call for anything further to be added. People may have their little pet feature lists but after getting the page change speed fixed it was pretty much done.

The current model isn't likely to see any major updates but I very strongly doubt B&N is abandoning this type of display until a genuine color substitute is shipping.

Have you seen the latest Kindle revision? The B&W display there shows that a lot more can be done without color once you have the contrast and response time up to snuff. A new color tech like Mirasol has to hit in a big way at a comparable price before B&W e-ink is going away.

A genuine color substitute IS shipping. It's called the Nook Color.

While Amazon upgraded their reader to Pearl, B&N has absolutely no plans to upgrade their eInk line to stay competitive with the Kindle. No new eInk models are slated to come out, hence it's become an orphaned platform.

As for color eInk and Mirasol, they're new technology, thus hard to make price-competitive with long-established LCD technology. As with Smartphones, the trend is going toward convergent devices. How many people still carry a standalone PDA? How many new PDAs were released this year? Until eInk/Mirasol reaches the speed and contrast of LCD, they're niche technologies unsuitable for convergent devices that functions as an eReader and Internet device.

The premise in your last sentence is flawed ("A new color tech like Mirasol has to hit in a big way at a comparable price before B&W e-ink is going away."). You assume that B&W eInk has no competition until Mirasol comes along. A simple websearch will show you that color LCD is already a competitor. The fact that there is debate here on Woot means that there is competition. And B&N's decision to not update its eInk line with new models, i.e. with Pearl or Pearl-like enhancements, shows that there is already competition. Even B&W readers like the Etaco opted to use LCD rather than eInk.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
bear101 wrote:I have 2 questions. 1. Can you read this in the dark, or will I still have to use a booklight? 2. After B&N goes out of buisiness will we still have access to library books and/or books to buy from B&N?
Thanks

1) Consider eInk like real ink on paper. If you need a booklight to read a paperback, you'll need a booklight to read this Nook.

2) The Nook reads both PDF and EPUB formats. They're widely supported in the ebook industry. If B&N disappears, you should still be able to get books from other electronic distributors like Kobo (a Canadian bookchain). You'll simply download the books to your computer to transfer to the Nook rather than downloading to the Nook directly. Plus, programs like Calibre will likely be able to convert current and future formats.

jaynine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaynine

As (another) Books-a-Million employee, we regularly sell these Nooks with a good case and a book light. Many people like to buy the cases that let your Nook stand up on a tray or desk so you can read it without holding it up. Also, buy the book lights with soft rubber on the clamping surfaces so the device is protected from damage.

Take care that you buy a cover that says it fits this Nook, as the color models don't have the same external dimensions.

In for one, cuz this one is refurb & cheap!

atykwinski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atykwinski
stevesds wrote:Before everyone buys up the "public libraries can give me free books" idea.

Go to Overdrive.com and look up your local library's collection of Ebooks. I was THOROUGHLY disappointed in my two. They still abide by the idea that they can only check-out a certain number of copies of each book as if they were physical books! Every book I was remotely interested in was only available for "adding to my waitlist"...zzzzzz

To be fair, these are restrictions put in place by the publishers who want digital copies of their books treated like hard copies -- only one person can check out at a time. It's a money thing.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
stevesds wrote:Before everyone buys up the "public libraries can give me free books" idea.

Go to Overdrive.com and look up your local library's collection of Ebooks. I was THOROUGHLY disappointed in my two. They still abide by the idea that they can only check-out a certain number of copies of each book as if they were physical books! Every book I was remotely interested in was only available for "adding to my waitlist"...zzzzzz

Think of the authors. They do need some resources to be able to eat to write the books. With simultaneous borrowing of the library's single copy of a book, nobody would ever buy a book, and all would borrow it from the library. At once, virtually. And the library would either not pay, adn nobody would make books, or the public sector would have to pay out for millions of copies of the book to publishers to greedy people who won't stump up a few bucks for a book.

alamogal1963

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alamogal1963

Bought mine new a year ago and adore it. Won't buy the Nook Color bc no kiddos in the house who need to look at pics, don't read mags on eReader, and it doesn't come in 3G. But the Nook is the best bang for the buck in eReaders and a 3G at this price is a steal. It reads all types of content vs. Kindle which only reads stuff BOUGHT from Amazon. If your library has eBooks, you can DL them to your laptop and move to your Nook. When you browse the shop, you'll see tons of Free content scanned in from GoogleBooks. Since the latest software update, it's pretty fast and now secure using a password. Customer svc from B&N has been outstanding. I take it everywhere and love the ability to DL books or browse the shop while sitting in the doctor's office. The pages are clear to read, turn quickly, and the start-up isn't too long. Only thing, buy a cover for it. The outer frame can crack easily. But once covered, it's game on!

Blondes aren't dumm.

Jeckel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jeckel

Well, the good thing is with the Nook is that it can use multiple file formats like EPUB and PDF. So even if B&N goes bye bye, the Nook can still be used.

Pirate Woot off epic fail http://goo.gl/OO4Ft

stbonnies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stbonnies

You can do library books through the Nook - you cannot do that with a Kindle! There are plenty of titles available!!

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
aliceinwootland wrote:So is there any point at all to having the 3G? All you can do is download B&N books, right? I can't imagine a situation where I would want to download a book and couldn't find wi-fi somewhere.

Let's think outside the box (or the parents' basement) and suppose you travel a lot and have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times or some other daily publication.

You could search for a wifi connection every morning, and browse to their home page and click on the "OK" or enter the password or something, or

You could turn on the thing and your newspaper would be there.

Verminous

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Verminous

After about a year of research, or dithering if you prefer, I purchased a Kindle myself. The many, many people who tout the Nooks' non-proprietary epub format as the reason they bought it must not spend much time on-line looking for books to DL for free. There are plenty of sites, such as Project Gutenberg or Many Books that offer books in kindles' format for free, including Amazon. You can also loan out books that you have purchased to other kindle owners for 2 weeks through the books' page on Amazon. I'm not even going to mention the torrents.

There is also a huge community of self publishing authors now that regularly sell their books for .99-2.99, such as the great Cyberpunk author Derek J. Canyon's book Dead Dwarves Don't Dance.

That being said, yes, this is a great deal for anyone looking for an e-reader with e-ink. E-ink is the only way to go if you're a serious reader. I love, love, love my Kindle, but this particular Nook is a good cheap 2nd best. Make sure you buy a good cover! I've replaced my Kindle once already due to a hairline crack in the case at the corner of the reading pane, and that's with a good cover. Good thing is Amazons customer service is fantastic for Kindles. I had a new kindle (well, refurbed, actually) 2 days after I made the call. Best of all, they call you after you punch in your number on the customer service page at Amazon, in about 30 seconds!

Lastly, battery-life, Kindle wins, hands down. Just turn off the Wi-fi when you don't need it, turn the Kindle off at night or if you're not going to pick it up in the next hour or so ( it will sleep automatically after about 5 minutes to save battery life ) and the battery will stay good through about 2-3 weeks of constant reading, longer if you don't read much and about 10 days if you never turn it off and just let it "sleep".

Someday, somebody else, besides me, will call me by my stage name, they will call me Dr. Verm...

tyrfan2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyrfan2001

Got my nook for Christmas after months of comparison shopping. Is much better than kindle. You can upload different book files, screen savers add memory, music, etc.

did I mention free book friday and B&N is store sales?

I like the eink if I wanted apps I would have chosen an ipad.

www.lynnhubbard.com

pianogirl302004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pianogirl302004

I LOVE my Nook! This is a good deal...you are saving about $50.00 since they retail for $149.00 in the stores. Don't forget that this is not the color screen....this is the original Nook that came out. I have this same one and use it all the time. It also has Wi-fi capabilities and will get you on the internet!

tyrfan2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyrfan2001
efooter wrote:I unexpectedly received a nook for xmas, and I've been happy with it so far. If you're browsing the web or using the touch screen at the bottom, the battery doesn't last too long. If you're using it as an ereader, the battery lasts long enough.

I've put a math book on it as several PDFs, graphics do show up, but for some reason it has trouble with limits and large fractions.

Very happy with it, would recommend to anyone.

I think most beings have trouble with large fractions. :-(

philrobj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philrobj

I have owned one for over a year (read that as I paid $250 for it!)and I love it. The e-ink is awesome, way better than the backlit color version.

I also like the form and function better than the Kindle.

To clear a couple of things up, websurfing is only supported via wifi. It won't work over 3g. I am not sure if there is a hack for this or not. Thats how much I like it...I haven't hacked it yet whereas everything else I own has been.

I have sideloaded free books, borrowed books from the library for it and bought books from B&N with it. I never had any problems with any of it. Book downloads have taken me about 5 mins to receive the complete texts. You can also buy newspapers and magazines though I am sure the later are better looking on the color.

The Nook is also expandable with a micro SD card slot whereas the Kindle is not, so you can load up either books or music on the SD card and still have basically unlimited storage capacity!

scarlettesong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarlettesong

My husband and I already have a Kindle 2 and we were looking to compare it with the Nook before upgrading. Fair price, fair warrenty. I think this is the perfect opportunity for us to get the personal usage and comparison.

sk8teacher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sk8teacher

Worried about B&N going out of business? Download their free Nook PC App, and sync with your online library. That downloads all your books to your PC, giving you total backup.

I have the Nook Color (NC) and love it. Never had an issue downloading books from B&N.

If you are outside the US you cannot download. So what? Before you leave load up on books.

The bad news.

The touch screen on the NC gets pretty grimy after awhile, even with a screen protector. You will be cleaning it everyday or you will find it difficult to use. Go to Best Buy and buy the Targus iPad stylus with the rubber tip. Works great and you will never have to clean the screen again.

scarlettesong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarlettesong
halltribe wrote:NOOK VS KINDLE

I own both nook 3g/wifi and Kindle 3g/wifi.
I USED to love the nook more than my Kindle 3g.

I travel quite a bit, Stateside and overseas - and my e-reader is a faithful companion. I've always been able to order Kindle books through the Amazon website, then upload them to the Kindle via USB, no matter where I am in the world.

Well... a few hours ago, I went to the B&N site to order a book (I'm overseas for a month) and the order was declined: "...please be advised that these purchases are limited to those customers physically located in the United States and Canada."

You're kidding me right?! I guess it's back to my Kindle whenever I travel. My nook will be parked Stateside on my nightstand >o(

Thanks for this great info! My husband and I are military stationed overseas, so this is likely a problem we'll encounter over time. My question is were you on the B&N site on a computer or on the unit itself? The computer IP can be spoofed, but my guess it nothing can be done about that with the device, correct?

presto73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages presto73

Whoever wrote the article for the Nook has confused B&N with Borders, which is going through bankruptcy and closing 226 stores. B&N is doing just fine.

datafox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datafox1

If B&N goes out the books will still be yours, have them downloaded to your computer and they will be there for you when you want them. Also the store link on the device would not go anywhere for you since their shop is gone but overdrive.com and Google.com/books are still available to you.

Actually the Nook and other epub devices are better than the Kindle in the sense you can choose your own vendors.

medved02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages medved02

I picked this up for 79.00 from a link from Deals woot on 4/5 with FREE shipping

They had 5000 and sold out in about 2 days from what I recal.

Mine should be arriving today. Can't wait to read this thread and get some good info and tips on it.

This will be my first reader, at 80 bucks, I didn't want to pass it up. As I refreshed the e-bay site before I bought it every 2 minutes, the number was dropping like flies! Figured it was a steal at that price.

Edit, version I got was NOT G3

datafox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datafox1
lucky77 wrote:Question, how many generations does the Nook have?

Looking at it, only one generation. They do have a 3G and Wifi model but still the same stuff as when it first launched.

billkaris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billkaris
stoutg wrote:So close. I want a Nook Color so I can hack it into an Andriod Tablet.

My thoughts exactly.......

starhammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starhammer

As long as the format is PDF or the like, you can download to the nook and read. Try GUTENBURG.COM for free ebooks.