WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What aspect of the pre-digital era do you miss the most?
  • 7.5% - Phone booths 155
  • 10% - Waiting until your photos are developed to see how they turned out 206
  • 4.2% - Analog TV: test patterns, snow, sign-offs, rooftop aerials, etc. 86
  • 61.1% - Being unreachable by phone or anything else 1257
  • 16.3% - I don't miss any of that crap 335
  • 0.9% - Something else I'll tell you about in this newfangled discussion forum 19
2058 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

emitstop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emitstop

The pre-digital age? I don't remember that.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

I HATE the sound of my own cell phone ringing.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

bdsmonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdsmonkey

prank calls! definitely more difficult these days! (although I probably wouldn't want to anymore. but if I did want to, I probably couldn't!)

rflcptr

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rflcptr
equazcion wrote:I HATE the sound of my own cell phone ringing.

Second.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Ooh, prank calls are good, but I went with the television option. I do miss the late night sign off from the local channels, or the midnight movie. Cleveland had a pretty long tradition with Big Chuck and Little John showing crappy movies at night. The ritual of it all was kind of nice.

I do kind of miss going to pick up photos, but I sure don't miss the smell of developing chemicals.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I actually miss analog TV service. I got all my channels, most with a very good picture via my rabbit ears. Now if I want to watch channels 10-45 I have to adjust the darn antennas to keep the picture from freezing up or not coming in at all. HD is nice, but the digital broadcasts are annoying at times.

I refuse to get cable or satellite because it's a freakin' rip off and I won't watch 98% of the channels. Give me a la carte HD service. 99 cents per channel, per month! All I want is History, Discovery, Gameshow, my local stations, and a handful of others.

Skanning

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Skanning

I miss those big old cars - well, they were new back then - where the backseat was like a living room sofa...Ford Galaxy was one. Those cars had such a smooth ride. They were solid, heavy, and...well, gas hogs lol I loved it.

Oh, yeah...and if you bought a used car, you could never trust the odometer as they could be rolled back. Now, thanks to the digital age, I understand that they cannot be "adjusted". Now, that development I cannot find fault with.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
Skanning wrote:I miss those big old cars - well, they were new back then - where the backseat was like a living room sofa...Ford Galaxy was one. Those cars had such a smooth ride. They were solid, heavy, and...well, gas hogs lol I loved it.

Oh, yeah...and if you bought a used car, you could never trust the odometer as they could be rolled back. Now, thanks to the digital age, I understand that they cannot be "adjusted". Now, that development I cannot find fault with.

How about not having seat belts in those giant back seats? I miss no seat belts.

CT Updating, please wait....

iamjared

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iamjared
hogfatt wrote:How about not having seat belts in those giant back seats? I miss no seat belts.

Nothing says freedom like flying through a windshield.

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
equazcion wrote:I HATE the sound of my own cell phone ringing.

I always mute my cell phone.........oh wait, that's the off button.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

mpez0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mpez0

*Dialing* a telephone using the on-hook switch.

Milfcny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Milfcny

The thing I miss is being able to take a photograph and not have every female in the room demand the camera be handed over to them immediately so they can see the picture.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bdsmonkey wrote:prank calls! definitely more difficult these days! (although I probably wouldn't want to anymore. but if I did want to, I probably couldn't!)

Yeah, caller-id & *69 really killed prank phone calls. I did have fun calling back pranksters with *69 though. LOL.

(I think that was the code...)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n

I miss the time when people spent the time behind the wheel driving.

It seems to me that we still HAVE phone booths, they just have 4 wheels and kill people now.

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

hangard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hangard

Being from Wisconsin, with winter and all - The thing I miss the most is cars with a carburetor and its choke. Press twice on the pedal before starting to 'set' the choke. Then 'feather' the pedal to get it to run. Now dash to the house to warm up. Listen close because as soon as the engine starts to warm its gonna run fast, too fast. Another dash to the car to 'kick down the idle' and let your engine live another day. The option was to drive with a cold engine and endure sputters and spits and whatever else....

Digital Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control has got to be one of the best things ever about the digital age!

PenDancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PenDancer

I miss uninterrupted, face-to-face conversations - the quiet focus of flowing ideas, thoughtful pauses, eye contact and emotional connection.

totally non-electronic, totally human.

CaptRobThePirate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptRobThePirate
j-o-h-n wrote:I miss the time when people spent the time behind the wheel driving.

It seems to me that we still HAVE phone booths, they just have 4 wheels and kill people now.

LOL! I totally agree.

~CaptRob
http://www.youtube.com/procrastinationpics

libertybelle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages libertybelle

i do miss being unreachable - but I also miss the excitement and anticipation of getting photos back after a week or so. I have fond memories of my mom and I racing out of the store and sitting in the K-Mart parking lot to look at our photos.

profauck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages profauck

Hacking the phone system to make free long distance calls.

Changing the needle on my Victrola.

Worrying about the RIAA learning that I own a tape recorder.

JoeJitsu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JoeJitsu

I miss the "disconnectedness" of the past, but when I go camping with my son's Scout troop I can get it all back again. Lack of cell coverage FTW!

Random Ċrap (2011: 1/25,8/17,9/14 2010: 12/24,12/1,10/21,4/28,4/1, 2009: 12/25,12/9,4/1, 2008: 5/9,4/1, 2007: 12/25,10/25,3/23)
Screaming Monkey 3/28/08(pink/bluex3), 4/27/07(black), 3/23/07(greenx3)
Sansa MP3 2/11/08 (1gb x2), 8/18/06 (256MB x2), 7/31/06 (256MB x2)
Jumbo Universal Remote x2, DigiPro Graphics Tablet x1, Acer Aspire Desktop Computer x1, VTech Digital Cordless Phone x1,
Pinnacle DVD Maker x1, iRiver Mobile FM Transmitter x3, LeakFrog x3, Adaptec AVC-1400 GameBridge x2

Kabraham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kabraham

Music on MTV.

And when television shows actually featured actors. (Pre-Reality TV)

wazzitallmean?

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wazzitallmean?

I miss the sense of distance between myself and events in the world. We knew of happenings, but not as they happened. I think that made processing things easier. We are bombarded with so much information these days, most of it either ads or Jatravartid crap.

jro2020

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jro2020

i miss just being able to go swimming without having to worry about ruining thousands of dollars worth of electronics or assuming they will be stolen

EdgeTrigger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EdgeTrigger

The technology for the most part is fun, interesting and useful. It's the way information is used to undermine privacy, there are no boundaries anymore.

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
Milfcny wrote:The thing I miss is being able to take a photograph and not have every female in the room demand the camera be handed over to them immediately so they can see the picture.

I work with kids and they always want to see the picture as soon as I've taken it... of anything. I realized the other day that they'll never have experienced waiting for, well, anything. I usually refuse to show them the pictures. Someone's gotta teach them not to expect instant gratification all the time!

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann

I miss when you would see kids in restaurants paging through picture books from home instead of playing on an iPad because their parents don't want to interact with them.

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

Rooftop aerials are not a thing of the past!
I have a sweet one on my roof that lets me get lots of stations I could not get with the "rabbit ears".
An antenna is just a piece of metal, and no matter what the format of the information (analog/digital), you still need something for the electromagnetic waves to hit.

virgilcaine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages virgilcaine

I miss the absence of attacks on the English language by media that encourage poor grammar and spelling. For a bit of wry humor on this topic, see this recent derby entry over at Shirt.Woot.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
lutherann wrote:I miss when you would see kids in restaurants paging through picture books from home instead of playing on an iPad because their parents don't want to interact with them.

That actually makes me really sad. In fact, one night I saw this kid at a restaurant playing a game on the iPad. He played the SAME 10 seconds of a racing game literally ALL night: drive for 10 seconds, fall off a bridge, repeat. For like 2 hours. If you're gonna spend 500-800 bucks on a kid, why not get something that might perhaps help his brain?

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100

I was late in getting my cell phone. In fact, it happened in April of 2000. I miss the fact that every new phone number that was important to me prior, I memorized. I still remember some of those numbers and had around 50 - 60 memorized.

I miss memorizing telephone numbers. I haven't memorized a new number since I've had a cell phone.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Please note: Cell phones have an "off" button.

chaospearl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaospearl

I miss when the biggest problems in my life involved the relative social status of various seats on the school bus. I have diaries from when I was around 10 yrs old and this was something that concerned me and my friends greatly. What I wouldn't give for that to be my worst fear again.

aausterm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aausterm

I have a SLR camera and I still take photos with a 40ish year old film camera because they are just a better quality so I don't know if voting for "Waiting until your photos are developed to see how they turned out" is actually allowed for me?

gliberatore1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gliberatore1
PenDancer wrote:I miss uninterrupted, face-to-face conversations - the quiet focus of flowing ideas, thoughtful pauses, eye contact and emotional connection.

totally non-electronic, totally human.

Well said.

trend53

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trend53
hogfatt wrote:How about not having seat belts in those giant back seats? I miss no seat belts.

Didn't need seat belts, those things were built like tanks. No plastic in the body at all.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Analog tv. Broadcast tv died the day it transitioned to digital. And digital certainly doesn't live up to its potential.

Rango

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rango

I was walking past a used bookshop the other day that had an atlas in the window. I miss the pre internet maps days when you had an atlas. I remember spending hours looking at placenames and wondering what they was like.

cherrymm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherrymm

I forgot about phone booths. Where does Superman change now?

weslinder

quality posts: 4 Private Messages weslinder

I miss kick-start Harley-Davidsons. Not because I want one, I'm fine with my Suzuki. But if a Harley took 40 kicks to start and a tune-up every week, there wouldn't be 5000 lawyers, doctors, and retirees rubbing grease on themselves and riding down to the bar every Saturday.