WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Be honest. No judgment. Have you ever been arrested?
  • 40.8% - No way! I’m a law-abiding citizen and anyone monitoring my internet connection knows it. 1148
  • 26.3% - No, but that’s only because of the ineptitude of the local police/sheriff/FBI office. 740
  • 12.5% - Yeah, once. Youthful indiscretion. Just a misdemeanor. 352
  • 2.7% - Yeah, and it was a felony. Why are you backing away like that? 75
  • 3.2% - Several times, but that’s more about the man trying to keep me down than anything I did wrong. 91
  • 14.5% - You know what? The less you know the better. 408
2814 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

iamruling2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamruling2

Its always amusing to compare the results of the first 50 voters to the final results.

linkdude64

quality posts: 7 Private Messages linkdude64

I mis-voted. Mine is the second option from the top.

Lighting dumpsters/piles of abandoned furniture in alleyways on fire ftw!

firstaccount

quality posts: 1 Private Messages firstaccount

3 Times. All for driving while suspended. not proud at all. early "Yoot" days....

No Frills Signature.

coyooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coyooper

Youthful forgot to turn brain on x2. Redeemed self by becoming a law enforcement officer. Well, I think it is a redeeming quality.

bwobo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bwobo

Mine is more of a No Way! Anyone who ISN'T monitoring my internet connection could attest to it.

killher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killher

Never been officially arrested, but when I was a minor I was detained and brought to the station to be picked up by parents a couple of times.

Man, I tell you what, the things I did when I was a kid would send a kid to prison these days.

davmon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davmon

Yes, when I was young, out drinking driving the girls home. Spent the weekend in jail.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

Who's asking? And why do you want to know?

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

Technically, everyone who's been giving a traffic citation has been arrested.
The first thing at the top of the ticket is a notice that you're under arrest, but are being released.
Just an fyi.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Once, my mom painted my toenails pink, and I went on a killing spree. Mr. aBlow was able to get my sentence reduced to probation with his testimony though.
#notintendedtobeafactualstatement

Still single, can't imagine why.

DanarBB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DanarBB

And so, I proceeded to tell him about Alice's resturant...

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
anyboatyourow wrote:Technically, everyone who's been giving a traffic citation has been arrested.
The first thing at the top of the ticket is a notice that you're under arrest, but are being released.
Just an fyi.

Wouldn't that depend upon the State? To answer the original question, no.

auburnfootball

quality posts: 2 Private Messages auburnfootball
klozitshoper wrote:Wouldn't that depend upon the State? To answer the original question, no.

That definitely depends on the state. In most states a traffic ticket is a non-criminal infraction.

Like guns? Me too. The cool thing is I get to write about them.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

I'm somewhere between 1 and 2. I get away with certain victimless things when I can, like parking illegally, neglecting jury duty, hijacking wifi, and tearing tags off mattresses, but it has nothing to do with police ineptitude.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

Phuukk the Police

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

I had a "system" in my car back in the day and I got pulled-over once for my music being too loud. The song? "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. Yep, that's how I roll. Gangsta.

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND
DanarBB wrote:And so, I proceeded to tell him about Alice's resturant...

I want you to go sit down on that bench that says Group W.

Classic.

nicholsona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholsona

My answer isn't one of the choices. I was arrested for having a bb-gun shoot out with my brother in the parking lot where the liquor store had been (unknown by us) robbed days before. They never would have arrested us for it otherwise.

But then, I was later arrested for something and let go due to the ineptitude of the SF police, even though I did do it.

Then there were the numerous times I should have been arrested, but wasn't. They were all fairly harmless.

Ah, to be young and Jatravartid again.

nicholsona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholsona
anyboatyourow wrote:Technically, everyone who's been giving a traffic citation has been arrested.
Just an fyi.

That depends on the state. In Nevada traffic violations are a misdemeanor, but in most states they're a civil infraction (with exceptions for things like DUI). You're generally not arrested when fined for violating a civil law.

mm505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mm505

So, you say you are with the ATF? I guess you are not here about the alcohol or tobacco!

/\/\|k.e

monkbuddy62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkbuddy62
DanarBB wrote:And so, I proceeded to tell him about Alice's resturant...

hah! blind justice...

richellelander

quality posts: 18 Private Messages richellelander
Just an fyi.

I've gotten tickets before and have never seen that. May be it's the state you live in?

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

richellelander

quality posts: 18 Private Messages richellelander

I almost got arrested once. My friend and I were drinking. She was driving (dumb idea of course). She sped up on a yellow light and the cop stopped her. He even told her he pulled her over because she sped up on a yellow light, but they tried to say in court she ran a red light. Anyway, I knew she had an illegal substance in her car, I just didn't know exactly where it was. They had her do a sobriety test which she failed miserably. Then the other officer comes to my side of the car and says, "Could you get out of the car Mam?" I'm saying "Oh $#!+ in my head. They proceed to search the car and guess where they found the illegal substance? Right under my seat. They grilled me. "Are you sure it's not yours? Would you come down to the station with us and take a drug test?" I told them yes on both questions because it wasn't mine and I don't do drugs (not illegally anyhow). They finally let up on me when I pointed out that the prescription bottle being used to hold the illegal substance had my friends name on it and not mine. I find out 12 years later she was telling the other cop the same thing. The cop never asked my name so it stayed off the police report. But when her parents came to pick up her car, her mom ripped me a new one all the way home.

Fast forward two months later, I get pulled over because I had to slam on my breaks and it was a wet night (I swear a deer ran across the road). Guess who the cop was that pulled me over. You got it. The arresting officer. Needless to say, he asked to search my car. Even though it was an illegal search, I didn't have anything in my car that I needed to worry about and I didn't feel like arguing and then having to wait for him to get a warrant(although he probably would not have gotten it and wasted my time). He gave me a sobriety test too. I was let go. That's my story.

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

theherbshack

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theherbshack
bsmith1 wrote:I had a "system" in my car back in the day and I got pulled-over once for my music being too loud. The song? "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. Yep, that's how I roll. Gangsta.

Um, is this a poll about tickets?

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
theherbshack wrote:Um, is this a poll about tickets?

Um, is this a poll about asking others if this is a poll about tickets?

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

tomsman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tomsman

Well, there was that "incident" in the 80s with an unpurchased XTC "English Settlement" double-cassette in my bag that triggered the store alarm... The world became a different place when my 16yr old 95lb skinny white boy butt in parachute pants, a big Flock of Seagulls shirt and breakdance shoes got locked alone in a sheriff's jail cell. This was the era of the "Scared Straight" shows. I was positive I was going to end up someone's girlfriend - quickly. lol Fortunately, I survived the ordeal intact. Since my parents thought that experience was lesson enough, I was still able to go to the Adam Ant concert the following night. ROCK ON! lol

Looking for MXLs Alien Sonogram, Tin: Old Skool, Puppet Checkup and Flesh Wound from Teefury; A Wicked Mess, F5 Refreshes You, and Sissy Fight. PM or teetrade (tomsman)for trade or sell.

wiilebeem1n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiilebeem1n
iamruling2 wrote:Its always amusing to compare the results of the first 50 voters to the final results.

y

smudgeandsmear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smudgeandsmear
bsmith1 wrote:I had a "system" in my car back in the day and I got pulled-over once for my music being too loud. The song? "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. Yep, that's how I roll. Gangsta.

I got a noise ordinance ticket for playing "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang too loud a couple years ago. Factory system. How much was the ticket? $475. Did I go to court and get out of it? Hell yea

iamruling2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamruling2
wiilebeem1n wrote:y

Because they often vary more toward the "the less you know the better" type response than the final results, which tells me something about the wooters who stay up late.

say592

quality posts: 1 Private Messages say592

Yes, one charge of conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln.

laconic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages laconic

I've been arrested 2 times. Neither of them were from something I did.

Was by someone when police showed up. They "dropped" something but noone saw. Police saw it on ground. Took us all in until they found out who dropped it.

Other time my brother got pulled over. He thought he had a warrant, so he gave my name and info and was issued a ticket (and arrested). I didn't pay ticket or show up for court since I didn't know of it. Instant warrant for me.

Had to do an overnight stay and post bail. Then go to court a month later for them to look at the original mug shot, then at me, and agree it was different people.

(When I was arrested, the officer noticed they arrested "me" when they issued the ticket. He pulled the mug shot and saw it didn't match. I'm one of the very few who's been arrested, and got to take the trip to jail in the front seat of the police car without handcuffs on.)

jsteve25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsteve25
richellelander wrote:I almost got arrested once. My friend and I were drinking. She was driving (dumb idea of course). She sped up on a yellow light and the cop stopped her. He even told her he pulled her over because she sped up on a yellow light, but they tried to say in court she ran a red light. Anyway, I knew she had an illegal substance in her car, I just didn't know exactly where it was. They had her do a sobriety test which she failed miserably. Then the other officer comes to my side of the car and says, "Could you get out of the car Mam?" I'm saying "Oh $#!+ in my head. They proceed to search the car and guess where they found the illegal substance? Right under my seat. They grilled me. "Are you sure it's not yours? Would you come down to the station with us and take a drug test?" I told them yes on both questions because it wasn't mine and I don't do drugs (not illegally anyhow). They finally let up on me when I pointed out that the prescription bottle being used to hold the illegal substance had my friends name on it and not mine. I find out 12 years later she was telling the other cop the same thing. The cop never asked my name so it stayed off the police report. But when her parents came to pick up her car, her mom ripped me a new one all the way home.

Fast forward two months later, I get pulled over because I had to slam on my breaks and it was a wet night (I swear a deer ran across the road). Guess who the cop was that pulled me over. You got it. The arresting officer. Needless to say, he asked to search my car. Even though it was an illegal search, I didn't have anything in my car that I needed to worry about and I didn't feel like arguing and then having to wait for him to get a warrant(although he probably would not have gotten it and wasted my time). He gave me a sobriety test too. I was let go. That's my story.

Lucky for you her name was on the bottle! Also the second search by the officer was not illegal and he would not need a warrant. Vehicles fall under a warrant exception because they are movable items that evidence can easily be lost or destroyed if the officer does not conduct a search immediately. Just thought you should know that anytime an officer pulls you over they can legally search your car so if you have nothing to hide you might as well cooperate. It called the automobile exception to search warrant. They only need probable cause which they obtain as soon as you violate a traffic law.

chubbysumo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chubbysumo

all i have to say is "thank you truecrypt."

chubbysumo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chubbysumo
jsteve25 wrote:Lucky for you her name was on the bottle! Also the second search by the officer was not illegal and he would not need a warrant. Vehicles fall under a warrant exception because they are movable items that evidence can easily be lost or destroyed if the officer does not conduct a search immediately. Just thought you should know that anytime an officer pulls you over they can legally search your car so if you have nothing to hide you might as well cooperate. It called the automobile exception to search warrant. They only need probable cause which they obtain as soon as you violate a traffic law.

An officer needs probable cause to search anywhere that is not in plain sight in a vehicle. Probable cause is just you saying no to the search, so its a catch 22. You say yes, you get caught(assuming illegal stuff in the trunk), you say no, you get caught. Actually, the best way out of this is to not do anything. Let him search, and play dumb, and do not answer any questions of his, and NEVER take ownership, and never admit ownership, and never try to pass ownership off to someone else. Just say I have never seen that before, and I dont know what it is, or where it came from, end of comments.

tnrobert43

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tnrobert43

Arrested? No.
Placed under apprehension? Yes.
For suspicion of possession, use, transportation and resale of controlled substances, and for suspicion of possession, use, transportation and resale of paraphernalia associated with controlled substances.

And believe it or not, it was all a big misunderstanding, and was cleared up in 72 hours. Took a year to get my records back from the OSI, but hey, getting them to let go of something is like getting a bulldog to let go of a chew toy.

dblfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dblfan

I've got 4 countries under my belt.