WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Someone gets to do "the full pat-down" then someone owes you a drink. That's supposed to be the rules, right? You at least expect them to take an interest in you. But when's the last time a TSA agent complimented your outfit, or asked for your phone number, or even said they hoped to see you again? These days, checkpoints leave you feeling like you just walked through a 70s swinger's club. It's heartbreaking. What ever happened to romance?

If you're the sort of person who needs a stiff drink after Security, check out cocktail blog Cocktailians.com. My buddy Sam has developed a small flight-legal ingredient kit and a system to pick up the rest as you go. Sugar from the coffee bar, muddler from Panda Express, a coffee cup for the shaker: suddenly, you're Monte Carlo in the sky. Take a look and see for yourself in this short video...

He's got the full list on his site if you're looking to make some sky-drinks for yourself. Sadly, there's probably an FAA rule which prevents you from selling the drinks to other passengers, but maybe you could set out a tip jar to recoup the cost of your ticket. If nothing else, you'll impress the stewardesses.

Quality Posts

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

I dig his enthusiasm for a good cocktail, but carrying around your own vermouth seems like a bit much, especially given that you're likely to be crammed in, surrounded by screaming children, and treated like a drooling human by in-flight staff. I don't need it to taste good, I just need to be knocked the hell out as quickly as possible.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

eagledrew05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eagledrew05

what the crap is a maraskeeno cherry? is it like a maraschino cherry? i guess if they are homemade you can call them whatever you want.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
eagledrew05 wrote:what the crap is a maraskeeno cherry? is it like a maraschino cherry? i guess if they are homemade you can call them whatever you want.

Both are acceptable. I think the "she-no" variant may be an Americanization. "Skee-no" always trips me up too, like of like "brusketta" for bruschetta.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Vidiot42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vidiot42

Maraschino is a cherry liqueur that's on the dry side -- it's made from both the pulp and the pits of maraska cherries, giving it a bit of an almond-y flavor as well. What's sold as "Maraschino" cherries aren't soaked in Maraschino liqueur anymore -- they're terrible flavorless dyed and chemically-firmed cherries. I was using fresh sour cherries that I macerated in actual Maraschino liqueur: http://www.cocktailians.com/2008/08/homemade-marasc.html
And I pronounce it "mara-skee-no" because it's how the liqueur is pronounced -- the Italian "ch" is a "k" sound, like in "Chianti", or yes, "bruschetta."