BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM
sdc100 wrote:And rechargeable D NiMH batteries are pretty difficult to find. Low discharge D NiMH batteries like Eneloops are non-existent.

Not non-existent at all. Eneloop D cells exist (in Japan), but Sanyo refuses to sell them stateside; however, there are at least 3 brands of LSD D cells available, and word among flashaholics is that the Tenergy Centuras seem to be the best quality. (They're better than the previously reigning Accuevolution cells, and recent manufacture Accuevos have a marked decrease in performance.)

patend wrote:Briefly, but fine. 1500 mAh per AA cell gives you less than an hour and a half of battery life at 3W. Unless this flashlight has a voltage regulator (I am doubtful, given the price), the NiMH cells will keep it brighter than equally-sized alkaline would until running down. You can get a feel for AA battery life by looking at the 1A discharge curves on this page: http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

Eneloops are 2Ah, not 1.5, and they'll deliver >1.8Ah at these currents, although inefficiencies in the driver may eat that back up.

It surely does have a regulator, because direct-driving an XR-E from 2 D cells will get you a very feeble glow. It's 3-cell lights (especially 3xAAAs) where they often cheap out and go direct-drive or resistor.

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

EvilE1174

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EvilE1174

Are these good for locating boogiemen under beds at night?

kitcatbrat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat

Jaffa...CREE!

caerdwyn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages caerdwyn

PsychoalphadiscobetabioaquaWootloop.
PromentalWootbackwashpsychosisAmazonsquad.

Only Sir Nose is devoid of funk.

TheMrBillShow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheMrBillShow
agent1atl wrote:Just a note:

a 60w regular light bulb produces 800 lumens

This is 120 lumens.

you do the math

This is meaningless...

An incandecent light bulb generates a basically spherical light pattern... Single lamp LED flashlights generate a fairly tight and small central beam with a controlled "spill" ring around the intense area...

Stand 10 feet away and look at a 60 watt light bulb for 1 minute... it will have little effect on you vision... Look directly at this flashlight from 10 feet away, for 1 minute... you WILL be temporarly blinded...

~TMBS~

~TMBS~

TheMrBillShow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheMrBillShow
EvilE1174 wrote:Are these good for locating boogiemen under beds at night?

Only if the Boogieman will cooperate and "smile"... ;-))

~TMBS~

~TMBS~

zerosee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zerosee

In for three because why not at this price. I am just curious when Woot started adding tax in Washington state? It has been awhile since I wooted.

xferno13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xferno13

Also in for 3, also because 3 for 20 after s/h seems like it's worth it. And as everyone else said, you can never have too many flashlights. bahahaha.

jonwes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonwes

I'm in for 3. I bought the Brinkman Woot had last year and more recenly bought a 2 D Craftsman red anodized unit very similar to this one. I take it on 45 minute walks with my girlfriend. It's turned on the entire walk and just keeps going and going. It dwarfs the light output of her mid-sized LED flashlight she got at Walmart.

agreed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages agreed

In for 3. Seems like a ridiculously good deal, and I am sick of my Maglites and the 30 minute operating time for relatively low output. Grumble. A single 3W LED, that'll do nicely. Wonder what the heat waste is on it? If it's genuinely doing 120 lumens at 3W, I'm guessing not much, especially if anyone's reported "normal flashlight tasks" use time of months and months holds true.

smawley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smawley
zerosee wrote:In for three because why not at this price. I am just curious when Woot started adding tax in Washington state? It has been awhile since I wooted.

This happened at the precise instant that the original Texas based company was purchased by Amazon (which is based in WA).

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

mbnva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbnva

Hey all - need your help in finding a cree that has BOTH the ability to focus (flood/spot) AND vary its light intensity. Any beats out there? I found a lot of cree lights at meritline but havent found this combination Im looking for - please send a shout out to me if you know of such a beast (or cree equivalent)

mbnva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbnva
SaVioR wrote:For those interested, the smaller, more 'focused' sister of this big flashlight, can be found just a mere click away from here. I've got both and due to the recent tornados here in Tampa, I've found great use out of them! The Cree series never seems to fail for the price.

As I was saying before I need one like the one you linked, but also having the ability to change the intensity so not to squash the batteries when not needed.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
ducboy wrote:I use this flashlight daily in my job as a military aircraft maintainer, and absolutely love it. Cheap and gets the job done. Mine has been heavily abused and still going strong. For the price, I highly recommend it.

Not a good thought that military aircraft are maintained with "Woot" close out stuff!

zerosee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zerosee
smawley wrote:This happened at the precise instant that the original Texas based company was purchased by Amazon (which is based in WA).

Thank you. I did not know that Woot was bought by Amazon. It will be something to consider on possible future purchases.

cutier33

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cutier33
SaVioR wrote:For those interested, the smaller, more 'focused' sister of this big flashlight, can be found just a mere click away from here. I've got both and due to the recent tornados here in Tampa, I've found great use out of them! The Cree series never seems to fail for the price.

I had no idea about this other page - Thanks for sharing!

cutier33

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cutier33

We must own like 10+ flashlights, but can never find one when we really need it.
In for 3!

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
worldwidewebfeet wrote:Not a good thought that military aircraft are maintained with "Woot" close out stuff!

Yes, bring back the good ol days when the military used $500 hammers, $400 screwdrivers, $700 adjustable hand wrenches, $550 pliers, and took a dump on $600 toilet seats.

A

jeppyfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeppyfrost

I'm in for three... I had my Brinkman flashlights come up missing and figured some ass-hat ripped them off from me. This will be excellent replacements.

frobnicator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frobnicator
zerosee wrote:Thank you. I did not know that Woot was bought by Amazon. It will be something to consider on possible future purchases.

How so? Either you like the deal or you don't. If you have serious problems with Amazon stop visiting the page.

I can't imagine how somebody would honestly consider it in future purchases, as though it makes a difference to a visitor.

What would you say to yourself? "Today's deal is awesome. Oh, wait. I have to remember that Amazon now arranges the deals, so maybe it is less awesome. From Amazon the deal is just pretty good. I would have bought 3 when the deal was awesome, but now that I remember to take the deal down a notch, maybe I'll buy 1."

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
ducboy wrote:I use this flashlight daily in my job as a military aircraft maintainer, and absolutely love it. Cheap and gets the job done. Mine has been heavily abused and still going strong. For the price, I highly recommend it.

Thank you for your service!

A

xrobx22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xrobx22

The cheapest Cree on Amazon is $21 for a 3W AA 180 lumen flashlight. I'm pretty sure 3 of these are worth the price ;) Also, friend of mine that is obsessed with going out late at night with his flashlights and high powered spotlights told me this flashlight is very well made and works great for a precision spot (the beam isn't as wide-spread as other Crees). I'm definitely in for 3

walmazan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages walmazan

I am in for two!

I need some light in my life!

woolygums

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woolygums

Snappity snap! Cannot read secret number on back of credit card without flashlight! How to buy?

Sigh.

Okey dokey found large candle. Hold close. Get number just before CC plastic meltdown!

In for three Cree, wheeeeeeeeeee!

nedpepper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nedpepper
frobnicator wrote:How so? Either you like the deal or you don't. If you have serious problems with Amazon stop visiting the page.

I can't imagine how somebody would honestly consider it in future purchases, as though it makes a difference to a visitor.

What would you say to yourself? "Today's deal is awesome. Oh, wait. I have to remember that Amazon now arranges the deals, so maybe it is less awesome. From Amazon the deal is just pretty good. I would have bought 3 when the deal was awesome, but now that I remember to take the deal down a notch, maybe I'll buy 1."

If you would have read the person's message, it was in reference to having to pay sales tax on purchases.

jlagraff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jlagraff
agent1atl wrote:Just a note:

a 60w regular light bulb produces 800 lumens

This is 120 lumens.

you do the math

? What's one got to do with the other?

Do the math when your power goes out, or when your camping, or when your car dies at night somewhere. Unless you can stick a lightbulb in your mouth and light it up like Uncle Fester, 60 watt lightbulb < = worthless.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
AerodexdotCom wrote:Yes, bring back the good ol days when the military used $500 hammers, $400 screwdrivers, $700 adjustable hand wrenches, $550 pliers, and took a dump on $600 toilet seats.

Anyone who takes a dump on a toilet seat needs to sit lower and must have flunked potty training.

amacaulay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amacaulay

Was 5.99 during the Woot off 3 weeks ago. I purchased two. I feel so violated. They are good lights but I want my two dollars too!

Glorph

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Glorph

Thanks for the tip, Dennis! With these adapters I won't have to keep several big, clunky D batteries lying around and then send them to the landfill when they run out of juice.

DennisEChung wrote:If you don't want to spring for D cells, you could use some AA to D adapters. There are other types which take 2 AA batteries in a D shell.

You can use alkalines or rechargeables in the shells.

okeithp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages okeithp

Hey WOOT we need for you to get a deal on this flashlight. It has twice the lumen output, can be focused, and use 3 AAA batteries. It is the best flashlight that I have ever owned, and I do own LOTS of them - Drives my wife totally nuts.....

http://nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=83&cid=26

Dex15

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dex15
kitcatbrat wrote:Jaffa...CREE!

Yes! I came to the comments just to look for this. At page 3, I was getting worried I wouldn't see it.
-Dex

Aarmed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aarmed

Keep in mind this is more of a mini flashlight, than a regular one. Well, not mini, but still not regular sized.

DubbyDoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DubbyDoo

in for 3!

beachhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beachhead

Woot, you truly light up my life!

In for 3...I bet a replacement bulb costs more than one of these light sabers!

milacqua48

quality posts: 3 Private Messages milacqua48

The link below will take you to the second best flashlight deal in the universe.

http://www.meritline.com/adjustable-zoom-led-flashlight---p-35630.aspx

The link below will take you to the very best flashlight deal in the universe.

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=44806&SEName=focus-zoom-lens-flashlight-light

These are the two best for several reasons: quality of build, small size, AA and AAA batteries, NOT D (which is worth a lot of points right there), brightness, versatility (the first one has dim feature and strobe) and of course - price.

The Woot deal is the current number 3, hindered only by D cell battery requirement and size. Having said that, I'm in for three so that I can say I own all the best flashlight deals in the universe!! There may be better flashlights, but not better flashlight deals.

Auntiemaim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Auntiemaim

These are great! Very sturdy and they throw a good beam.

Nastydan84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nastydan84
901Memphis wrote:You can find much better bargains on D cells if you know where to shop. Try discount outlets that buy overstock like Ollies or Christmas tree shops. I get Kodak 2 pack D batteries for about $1.70 and they are as good as Rayovacs.

In my experience, Rayovacs only have half the life of an Eveready or Duracell. I have recorded how long two AA cells last in my outdoor temperature sensor with all three brands multiple times (I write the date I install them on the batteries) and in every case the Eveready and Duracells give almost exactly the same usage, while the Rayovacs will only last half as long. I guess you get what you pay for.

patclem

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patclem

If this is the same one that listed several months ago as a 2-for, I'll say this: the light from the Cree is not that well focused. Though very bright, it throws a tight narrow spot with kind of a wide dim glow around it. You also can't adjust the pattern like a Mag Light. I don't know if all LED flashlights have this problem or not. So if you're gonna take it out to spot things, it'll work great. If you want to flood an area with nice even light, probably not so good.

richardfrench

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardfrench
Assassin15 wrote:People who want their batteries to work for more than like two hours (that's been my experience anyway). Which brings up the question, what's the battery life for these things, on average, with decent batteries (e.g. Duracell, Energizer, etc.)?

Sam's Club sells Energizers and they're generally fresher than what you'll find at a grocery store or drug store because they sell so many of them. And they're about half the unit price you'll pay most other places.

BentenTeckel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BentenTeckel

Totally random question not related to flashlights:

Based on the comments during the Portal shirt woot, I am going to get the Portal game as a anniversary gift for my husband. (you all seemed so jacked about a game, I thought it must be awesome!) Q: Do you have to go through Portal 1 before Portal 2 makes sense? Or can you just jump into 2 as a new player? I completely trust Wooters comments in this matter - thanks!