levigayboi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages levigayboi
pegdashfab wrote:i have owned two similar panasonic cameras (tz3 and zs3, iirc) and they are great.

but ...

they both had a very serious problem: horrible protection from dust and scratches. the mechanical lens cover is easy pushed aside by the sharp object in your bag that has it out for your lens, and both of my cameras were ruined by this. also, if you don't protect the camera in some kind of bag, e.g., if you just stuff it in your lint-filled pocket, dust works its way into the lens and covers the inner elements. also ruining the camera.

so while i highly recommend this line of cameras, be extra extra careful if you buy one: protect the lens from dust and sharp objects.

I bought a nice hard case that came with a very sturdy strap and holds memory cards. Well it's the Lumix brand case if you've seen those. It was only 10 bucks shipped on ebay. Well worth it.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

Les moment décisif :

And for my wine.woot!ers:

How am I feelin' NOW?...

Diane Arbus explaining "Boy With Grenade"...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

ballofpain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballofpain

Picked one of these up in a woot a couple months ago and I couldn't be more please. Easily out-shot cameras costing twice as much on a recent trip to Arizona. The 12x zoom lets you take brilliant shots that defy conventions for a camera of this size. Highly recommended.

Snowymartian

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Snowymartian
willbmobile wrote:So sorry that I had purchased one of these. Even though the camera has a camera stabilization in it, seemed that if the kids moved at all it would be fuzzy.

I looked and looked for a great camera, but in the end, took this one back for a refund.

just being truthful.

You *DO* know that Image Stabilization compensates for the movement of the *Camera* during picture taking, NOT movement in the subject of the pictures? I'm unfamiliar with this model so don't know if you on by default or needs to be turned on by choice.

Get a Woot-Off checker here http://woot.wikia.com/wiki/Woot-Off_Checkers

Dan!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dan!
saltysteele wrote:yes, leica lens, but still panasonic sensor. i don't care if you have a million dollar lens on the front of this thing, crappy sensor = crappy pictures

But it's not a crappy sensor at all. The lens makes the camera. Ask any photographer.

gsmit114

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsmit114

I ass-cone you woot.

Showed the page to my dad, and he was like... hey that's my camera; HEY I PAID OVER $300 BUCKS, We, the Hitchhikers?!

In for one. <8-) This is gonna rock to use in Germany in 3 weeks!!!

reggaemyelitis

quality posts: 32 Private Messages reggaemyelitis
Dan! wrote:But it's not a crappy sensor at all. The lens makes the camera. Ask any photographer.

To some degree your summation may be correct... However, the cleanness of the mechanics of any camera body and its inherent ability to perform image making in acceptable manners will only allow exceptional photographic parameters to be fully realized...

“Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” -- Peter Tosh

sweetgirl89118

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetgirl89118

Does anyone know how this would compare to the FujiFilm Finepix JX 250? I know totally different brands and cameras...but I just want a quality camera that takes good, clear pic in the sunlight and also in dim light..So far this Fujifilm I just bought at Costco..not doing that so well. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.thanks.

Jennifer M. Asgari

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
gsmit114 wrote:I ass-cone you woot.

Showed the page to my dad, and he was like... hey that's my camera; HEY I PAID OVER $300 BUCKS, We, the Hitchhikers?!

In for one. <8-) This is gonna rock to use in Germany in 3 weeks!!!

Sorry for my unfamiliarity -- but. WHAT is an ass-cone?... or the act of being (one)?... please elucidate for my own well-being... or yours...

Oh yeah! Be careful not to dunk it in der steinpilz...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

ickeroo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ickeroo

I've owned a DMC-TZ3 since June 2007 and have loved it dearly. The ZS6 looks like it has similar specs/features, most notable difference being 12x zoom/12MP vs. the TZ3's 10x/7MP, but the body and controls are nearly identical. I tested the ZS5 at Best Buy, they're still using the same GUI.

My biggest complaint about the TZ3 would be the CMOS, which is fairly high noise even at ISO100. But the ZS6 obviously has a different sensor if it's pushing nearly double the resolution. Otherwise it's a fantastic camera, the zoom + OIS is amazing, I can get non-blurry photos w/o a tripod while at ~8x zoom level. (Above 8x my shaky hands prevent any hope of a clear shot)

4 years later with fairly heavy usage, my TZ3 is showing a little sign of age, like laggy power-on and random shutoffs, but it's still fairly reliable and I take it with me everywhere. I love the body size (which is the same as the ZS6), it's obviously much smaller than an SLR, but it doesn't have all the tradeoffs of a slim-body pocket camera (like crappy lenses and weak optical zoom.) The extra weight makes it easier to keep steady.

So I'm in for 1! If the refurb is in decent enough condition, it'll be an anniversary present for my parents in May. If it's too roughed up, I'll keep it to replace my TZ3. If it's half as good as my TZ3, I'm already happy. I was just looking at ZS5's before Xmas that were nearly $300. This is a great deal.

shibac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shibac
Catjunky wrote:Is there much delay when you are taking the pic? I need a fast pic for animal shots at the shelter for adoption photos. When it delays, you loose the shot.

The shutter delay is the only shortcoming I have found in this otherwise excellent camera. I found it very difficult to capture shots of dolphins following a boat. However, you can use the burst mode when shooting animals, children, etc.

ickeroo

pegdashfab wrote:i have owned two similar panasonic cameras (tz3 and zs3, iirc) and they are great.

but ...

they both had a very serious problem: horrible protection from dust and scratches. the mechanical lens cover is easy pushed aside by the sharp object in your bag that has it out for your lens, and both of my cameras were ruined by this.

My floor-model TZ3 didn't even have the mechanical lens door, so I've been using the lens cap off a Pentax K1000. Matches perfectly.

finikpalma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finikpalma

I am torn between this camera or the Sony DSC HX5V, which is $199 (NEW!) on Amazon. Does anyone know how they compare?

The draws of this Woot deal are the bigger optical zoom (12x vs 10x for the Sony), and the amazing price. The things that make me hesitate though: this is a refurb vs. the new HX5V, and is somewhat chunky for a pocket camera. I also heard the low-light photo quality isn't the greatest on this model. The Sony has a bunch of awesome features like easy panorama, very good low-light capability, and is also quite a bit smaller.

Ultimately, though, I need a camera that will have great image quality above all. Any suggestions on which of these two might be better for me? :D

theone4697

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theone4697

AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC) (Optional)

Why is the AC Adaptor optional? I kind of need that...

perkyaim99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perkyaim99
theone4697 wrote:AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC) (Optional)

I am going to assume that the back of the battery charger has a pull out plug. My Samsung battery charger has a pull out plug.

I am already in for one for my folks...tempted to get one for myself too

ickeroo

theone4697 wrote:AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC) (Optional)

Because generally people don't have their camera wired into the wall while taking photos?

This has a rechargeable Li-Ion battery and comes with a battery charger that plugs directly into the wall.

mike65401

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mike65401

Bought this same camera from woot in December for $10 more. Great low priced point and shoot. I use this camera about 3 times as much as my DSLR. I would recommend this camera for casual shooting and for people who don't want to be heart broken if it's lost or dropped or dunked. (Like I would be if something happened to my DSLR)

che348

quality posts: 0 Private Messages che348

Heads Up / Last Call
“ I Want One! ”
is bouncing.
It is time to make up your mind.

dmc42d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmc42d

I have owned this camera for over a year and I am very pleased with it. It takes great, clear pictures and has a lot of different features to work with. On most of my trips I end up with better looking pictures than that of other people on the trip with me. Definitely worth it.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Decided to pass on this after reading this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/page11.asp

dpreview rates my Samsung HZ30W the better camera.

lilyrn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilyrn

I can't wait to get my hands on this camera!!!

che348

quality posts: 0 Private Messages che348

You did the same thing again just like last time. Sat there on the pot and did nothing. They are all gone now.

Souka

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Souka

In for one.

Wifey wants a camera with a good zoom... our current one is 3x and low light performance is horrible unless camera is on tri-pod and subject isn't alive (aka, moving).

I've been looking at cameras..this one seems to fit the bill except for the price, but this unit does.

hope it works out. two concerns from comments...

1. Battery: I hope this unit has a good one.
2. Lens cover works reliably

nomadrider

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nomadrider

Likely too late for anyone, but I bought one last go round here and I love it.
Looks new, except for OEM packaging.
150' concerts shots are great, especially when you use burst mode.
Low light pics are great.
Quick snaps always come out great due to fast auto focus and a really minor shutter lag.
Their IA, intelligent automatic really works well.
HD videos are HUGE, but pretty and the zoom works (my last camera you could not zoom after starting recording) AND you can use an HDMI (mini) cable and connect right to a TV and show really nice full screen pics and videos.
Battery life is good, I really wanted AA batts, too. But I like this rechargeable setup.
All in all, this is the best of the 6 or 7 digital cameras I've owned.
And not the most expensive, either.

nomadrider

gsmit114

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsmit114
brucedoesbms wrote:Sorry for my unfamiliarity -- but. WHAT is an ass-cone?... or the act of being (one)?... please elucidate for my own well-being... or yours...

Oh yeah! Be careful not to dunk it in der steinpilz...

<3 = ass-cone.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

You folks who want great low light capability better bone up on photo physics. If you have a f/5.6 lens, your camera better hit ISO 3200 or 6400 (assuming good images at that ISO) or it ain't gonna work. There's just not enough light passing through a 5.6 lens to reach a high shutter speed (and most of the time, these lenses are at 5.6 and only part of the time at f/4, etc.) The moral is LEARN ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and then you will know the limitations of cameras when you shop.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

rotorbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rotorbird
gsmit114 wrote:<3 = ass-cone.

Meaning: "I love ( <3 ) you Woot!"

BTW, I'm the last of the three lucky 'winners' of this model Panasonic camera that were offered during the most recent wootoff.

I've been exploring its features and capabilities for the last week-or-so I've had it and am very pleased. This is not my first P&S digital and have taken tens-of-thousands pix with the last two Sony Cybershot models over the last 5-6 years.

The Pani is a keeper, main selling points for me are the 12X optical zoom and marvelous manual and priority shooting modes. Yeah, it's a little larger than its brothers and solid (read that as Heavy) enough to force you to be really sure you grip it well so it doesn't slip away, AND there's the talk of a proprietary battery needed if you want a backup spare. But those aren't deal breakers.

I did have somewhat high expectations for the video recording mode but the electronic view finder and fast-moving objects (RC model helicopters flying '3D') don't work well in my experience. there's too much lag between the image sensor, image processing and finally the back screen. Trying to follow a quickly darting object is impossible without really spending the time to acclimate to that delay. The overall vid quality is very good and yes, being able to work the zoom (which is also variable speed - nobody's mentioned that) is a plus. Didn't really buy it for video applications so it is what it is...

My camera's condition was perfect, no signs of preownership. Battery is holding up well but no benchmark numbers of shots have been noticed. Image focus tracking is very cool, I call it my "missile-lock radar" function. Hope I actually use that for something some day.

Camera's playback of images has been given some thought, compared to my Sony DSC-W120 at least. Here's how: If I play back pix on the Sony, and I'm somewhere in the middle of a large number of images, any interruption in the camera's operation sends me back to the last image recorded in memory. Way too easy to tap the shutter button while holding the camera and forcing it out of playback mode.

The Panasonic goes one better - you can leave playback mode at any time during image review and as long as you don't shoot a new image, you can go right back to where you left off in the playback. I discovered this while playing with it. Wonder what other neat-O things it can do...?

Thanks!

Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature!

cklay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cklay
brucedoesbms wrote:FILM is where it's at... I had the Nikon F2A with an assortment of lenses that I used for 25+ years... I really miss the "old days" of huddling in the darkroom with some red plasticine sheets covering the 12" black and white television so I could still watch baseball games and develop and print off my Tri-X Pan 400 ASA Film...

Aaaahhh... maybe we could re-ignite what now may be a lost art?...

Certainly a lost art, but I do miss the smell of fixer and the magic of the darkroom... Photoshop is way boring in comparison ;-) That said, I've got a new camera on the way, and I think I will get an underwater housing for it so I can take it SCUBA diving :-)

cklay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cklay
gsaye2009 wrote:Just inspired to fire up my Big Green Egg!

I've got 2! A Medium and a Mini. My Kitchen Darkroom ;-)

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

booyah. throw away the hassleblad. Here comes the Leica.

memfis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memfis

... Love how this works...

After countless research and reading of reviews, I settled on the cameras in the Panasonic ZS5,ZS6,ZS7 range bad for my upcoming trip...

Ended up buying just buying a used ZS5 off Ebay for $110 without a batter or charger at the end of last week.... and then this pops up.

Lol, at least I got it cheaper I guess.

But that being so, I actually have seemingly nice contributions to make which are based upon said research.

Top aftermarket charging unit and batteries:
$30 Shipped from Amazon.
Comes with 2 batteries which are 1200mha (longer-lasting power than the OEM 895mha batteries), a wall charger, car charger, and European plug and car adapter.
All with 5 star reviews on Amazon and other sources.

Memory Card:
8 GB Transcend CLASS 10 SDHC Card - $15 Shipped

Carrying Case:
Lowepro REZO 30 - $10 Shipped

All Above Items From Amazon.com

...I am a fiend (sucker) for the Prime shipping

Kacia

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kacia
abarefoot2 wrote:Had this for 2 years- paid over $300 at Costco. This is a great camera- AND a GREAT DEAL!

Bought the camera here then went over to look at battery replacements on Amazon and found this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EENZVK

That's pretty cheap and reviews look good.

Kacia

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kacia
radi0j0hn wrote:You folks who want great low light capability better bone up on photo physics. If you have a f/5.6 lens, your camera better hit ISO 3200 or 6400 (assuming good images at that ISO) or it ain't gonna work. There's just not enough light passing through a 5.6 lens to reach a high shutter speed (and most of the time, these lenses are at 5.6 and only part of the time at f/4, etc.) The moral is LEARN ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and then you will know the limitations of cameras when you shop.

Meh, I have my old Fuji F20 6 MP for low light shots

tboneuncw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tboneuncw

I like taking pictures and I thought for $145 bucks, why not?

From the comments I've read, the majority of the wooters along with amazon and cnet think quite highly of this device.

I just hope it is as good as anyone says and I am impress with all the extras (case and memory card).

I remember buying my last camera (Canon SD780 IS) and the specs doesn't even compare this camera.

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362
btflorey wrote:Refurbs vary greatly in risk depending on who refurbished them. An Apple Refurb for example, comes with a full 1 year warranty and have new batteries. However woot is one of the riskiest places to get a refurb from. There is usually no telling who refurbished the product and yes, they are often scratched to heck. to make matters worse, woot has no standard return policy. so if you are not happy with the product you are out of luck! If you get a broken product then you are stuck with shipping costs and waiting weeks on manufacturers. Woot seems like a great deal but if you ever have problems with a product you will quickly understand why they have cheaper prices (i.e., they don't even have a phone bill since they have no customer service number!).

Good Luck Wooters!

It has a 90 day warranty from Panasonic. Why would Panasonic give a 90 day warranty if they didn't refurbish it themselves?

I've never had a problem with Woot refurbs. It all looks brand new and works as advertised.

vincom2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vincom2

My dad has a tz10 (what the ZS7 is called locally), and yesterday I sprang for a zs6. But playing with the tz10 I discovered something strange - why is it that in every mode other than intelligent auto I can take 8MP pictures in 4:3 aspect ratio, but in iA mode my options go 5MP and then a jump to 12MP, without the 8MP option? Am I missing something?

chickenmumbo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chickenmumbo
ickeroo wrote:I've owned a DMC-TZ3 since June 2007 and have loved it dearly. The ZS6 looks like it has similar specs/features, most notable difference being 12x zoom/12MP vs. the TZ3's 10x/7MP, but the body and controls are nearly identical. I tested the ZS5 at Best Buy, they're still using the same GUI.

My biggest complaint about the TZ3 would be the CMOS, which is fairly high noise even at ISO100. But the ZS6 obviously has a different sensor if it's pushing nearly double the resolution. Otherwise it's a fantastic camera, the zoom + OIS is amazing, I can get non-blurry photos w/o a tripod while at ~8x zoom level. (Above 8x my shaky hands prevent any hope of a clear shot)

4 years later with fairly heavy usage, my TZ3 is showing a little sign of age, like laggy power-on and random shutoffs, but it's still fairly reliable and I take it with me everywhere. I love the body size (which is the same as the ZS6), it's obviously much smaller than an SLR, but it doesn't have all the tradeoffs of a slim-body pocket camera (like crappy lenses and weak optical zoom.) The extra weight makes it easier to keep steady.

So I'm in for 1! If the refurb is in decent enough condition, it'll be an anniversary present for my parents in May. If it's too roughed up, I'll keep it to replace my TZ3. If it's half as good as my TZ3, I'm already happy. I was just looking at ZS5's before Xmas that were nearly $300. This is a great deal.

Both models have ccd sensors.

jpurretta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpurretta

I'm going to give Woot one more chance. I had bought a Kodak here a couple years ago and it came DOA. Went through the hassle of getting it repaired and it died again after a week of use. Being off-warranty by the time I used it on vacation it's just sitting here useless. MANY people had problems. Read

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2416097&PageIndex=10&ReplyCount=369

This one had better not be a worthless money pit like my last Woot camera.

juvesoccer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juvesoccer

Dear Woot,

I graduate on May 14th. I can haz camera delivered before then?

kthnxbai.

bfhammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfhammer
juvesoccer wrote:Dear Woot,

I graduate on May 14th. I can haz camera delivered before then?

kthnxbai.

Would you be so confident in graduating on May 14th if I showed this post to any of your English teachers?

lol