zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

jyoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jyoda
soliffis wrote:In for 1.

whatever...

Shanebob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Shanebob

What's the point of multi-touch if you can only fit one finger on the screen?

EdTerrific

quality posts: 16 Private Messages EdTerrific

A Sansa 4 gig for $25 is a much better deal....

So....Sansa sansa sansa sansa....

ETerrific

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

This looks like a pretty good deal, Amazon has 'em for $135 & up without the accessories.

Looks like a previous woot! had 'em for $159...

check it here

jayneturk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jayneturk

How can I "share" when you covered the button??? Dear Woot Gods, please relocate share links. Love, Jayne

Proud Member of Woot-Addicts Club

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

You can check out a review here.

hippie19

quality posts: 23 Private Messages hippie19

what does this look like in locked mode, i.e. asleep? Can I wear it as a watch? will it show the clock and calendar? are there apps for this?

ContinentalDrifter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ContinentalDrifter
bmrbill wrote:This looks like a pretty good deal, Amazon has 'em for $135 & up without the accessories.

So, $135 including shipping from Amazon, and the same price on woot! but you get a few cheap doodads along with it. You're going to have to work harder to sell me on this one.

enriquei

quality posts: 10 Private Messages enriquei
hippie19 wrote:what does this look like in locked mode, i.e. asleep? Can I wear it as a watch? will it show the clock and calendar? are there apps for this?

http://lunatik.com/

Disclaimer: I don't own an ipod, nor have I ever used one as a watch. I own a dressy watch. I don't even wear it. Because it's broken.

Chaosdreamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chaosdreamer
EdTerrific wrote:A Sansa 4 gig for $25 is a much better deal....

::sigh:: So glad someone else remembers those pre-Amazon-acquisition days of Sansa-Love...

flyngwalrus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flyngwalrus

I own and love this version of the nano. Wear it as a watch. Even listen to music with it on my wrist. Seems dopey, but actually works in practice.

jrs1980

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jrs1980

I believe I have that FM transmitter. Mine has five preset stations, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, and 88.9, so if none of those stations are empty in your area, that won't be of use to you.

The transmitter by itself cost around $20. It randomly turns off a few times right when I turn it on. No problems after that, though.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

MinistrOfJustiz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MinistrOfJustiz

Looking at Amazon, it would appear that what we get from ordering through woot amounts to a free accessory kit.

They are nice accessories, and I know somebody who has been wanting one of these for a gift for awhile, so I might just be in for one.

roxannez

quality posts: 13 Private Messages roxannez
EdTerrific wrote:A Sansa 4 gig for $25 is a much better deal....

The control buttons on Sansa MP3 players suck. They're not worth $25, and the sound level is locked at an unacceptably low rate. Even with a pair of Bose in-ear headphones, the sound level and quality was still junk on the Sansa. I've bought Sansas on Woot and ended up going right back to using my very old and still fully working iPod. The Sansas ended up getting tossed into an electronics recycling bin.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom
Shanebob wrote:What's the point of multi-touch if you can only fit one finger on the screen?

zing!

flyngwalrus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flyngwalrus
Shanebob wrote:What's the point of multi-touch if you can only fit one finger on the screen?

The multitouch has a pretty limited application but comes in handy when you need it. You just pinch the screen and twist to changed the screen's orientation. Nothing else, I don't think.

blackflag486

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blackflag486

Amazon has it for the same price!? Why the need?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Generation-NEWEST-MODEL/dp/B002L6HEAU

Shanebob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Shanebob
blackflag486 wrote:Amazon has it for the same price!? Why the need?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Generation-NEWEST-MODEL/dp/B002L6HEAU

You get the accessory kit with woot as I believe someone else pointed out earlier.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55

Woot just isn't what it was since Amazon bought it. They would have had the price $99.
Now it's goodies.

ribnik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ribnik

Battery life up to 24 hours as reported here ( http://www.ipod-nano-8gb.com/how-to-make-your-ipod-nano-battery-last-longer.php ), as well as some tips for keeping the battery life long for as long as possible. Reportedly 400 charges for the life of the battery.

kookooktchoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kookooktchoo
jrs1980 wrote:I believe I have that FM transmitter. Mine has five preset stations, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, and 88.9, so if none of those stations are empty in your area, that won't be of use to you.

The transmitter by itself cost around $20. It randomly turns off a few times right when I turn it on. No problems after that, though.

Actually, I think that is the FM transmitter that I own. By using my super-vision squinting, I can confirm that the preset stations are actually 106.7, 107.1, 107.5 and 107.9, so make sure those stations are empty in your area. However, even if they aren't, I wouldn't worry too much about it because I'm pretty sure I bought the transmitter at a Fry's for about $5. It gets the job done but the attached cable is about 4" long.

Also, transmitter automatically shuts off every time your music is off for about 30 seconds. It's kind of annoying.

freelance

quality posts: 15 Private Messages freelance

Amazon $199 for iPod touch 4th gen. And you can actually see the screen.

Bring me one of those at a lower price and I'll be all over it. (kid has a b-day coming up).

**** Woot!
***Woot!

cheroke55

freelance wrote:Amazon $199 for iPod touch 4th gen. And you can actually see the screen.

Bring me one of those at a lower price and I'll be all over it. (kid has a b-day coming up).

Wrong iPod. That's the iPod nano touch screen for $199

This is the iPod nano 6th generation with multi-touch for $135

simonelo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages simonelo

I have a different watch band, but have really enjoyed the ease of using the pedometer function by simply remembering to strap my watch on in the morning. (Much better than hoping I won't lose it when I clip it on my pants or forget to empty it out of my pockets before washing it.) Having it wrist mounted makes it easy to manipulate it while driving too (we use it as a main source of entertainment on long road trips.)

RenoDavid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RenoDavid
cheroke55 wrote:Wrong iPod. That's the iPod nano touch screen for $199

This is the iPod nano 6th generation with multi-touch for $135

No, freelance isn't talking about a nano. He/she is saying that a regular 4th generation (the current model) 8GB touch is available for $199. They are making the point that this little thing should be far cheaper to be really worth it.

eberin

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eberin

I paid $137 for one of these for my wife about 4 months ago - it is rare they are ever on sale (MSRP is $149).

$129 is a good deal especially with the accessories. Wonder if the next gen is in the pipeline?

sc4bbk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sc4bbk

Where are all the Sansa, woot?

Apple audio players, d0 n0t want!

evanname

quality posts: 2 Private Messages evanname

OK, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but maybe I'll also get one reasonable answer.

How do you buy this device or any other Apple hardware that does not have a microSD slot? Actually, forget the Apple part, how about any company that leaves out the possibility of expansion.

It just seems so blatantly anti-consumer, I can't help but find it offensive. To the people who buy this or other devices with the same trait, how do you justify it?

Are these things just so incredibly awesome that you are willing to let some company play you for a fool? Do you just not care? What? This drives me crazy, because the only reason companies get away with it is that we, as consumers, accept it. So please, give me something, anything. I really want to believe that there is some good reason I just haven't considered.

EDIT: Oh crap! The replies I've read so far fill me with an odd mixture of emotions: amusement and smugness with just a hint of embarrassment. I'm pretty sure that makes me a troll, which I'm not too happy about, so maybe we can all just move along and forget about this whole thing?

cheroke55

RenoDavid wrote:No, freelance isn't talking about a nano. He/she is saying that a regular 4th generation (the current model) 8GB touch is available for $199. They are making the point that this little thing should be far cheaper to be really worth it.

Yes, in China they probably resell these wholesale to Apple for $5 each. The iPod touch is probably sold for $20. And the cost to make is 50 cents heheh ;)And we all know those cost of putting a 8Gb chip or a 32Gb chip is. But Apple charges you hundreds. What suckers the consumers are.

lukifer23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lukifer23
evanname wrote:How do you buy this device or any other Apple hardware that does not have a microSD slot?

I'll bite.

I've owned a lot of MP3 devices over the years, from MP3 discmans to iPods to Sansas. The reason that I always come back to iPods has to do with synchronization. Rather than have to manage MP3s by hand (what some consider a feature, I consider a chore), I have a series of smart playlists that determine which songs synch, as well as handling bi-directional ratings, audiobook bookmarks, and auto-updating podcasts. (iTunes may be a sub-par player, but it's a pretty powerful music database if you're properly pedantic with your metadata.)

Adding a microSD card to this set-it-and-forget sync process adds complexity: now I have to juggle which tracks are on which card, and swap out cards when I want to sync. When listening, I have to not only swap cards to get from one set of music to another, I also have to haul these tiny-ass, easy-to-lose little plastic rectangles around.

I don't give a crap about microSD support; it doesn't fit my use habits. I bought a nano to use as a watch, with mostly audiobooks and a skeleton crew of music. I plug it in, bam, updated, done. If I had found the storage capacity inadequate, I wouldn't have bought it.

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
evanname wrote:How do you buy this device or any other Apple hardware that does not have a microSD slot? Actually, forget the Apple part, how about any company that leaves out the possibility of expansion.

Disclaimer: I do not own any Apple products.

I agree with you for the most part. Apple products are more expensive and have no expandability. That said, I don't think it's really that big of a deal with an mp3 player. Even a 2gb Nano will allow you to store about 16 hours of mp3's at a decent bitrate. So unless you're preparing to be stuck on a desert island for a few years, you should be able to keep enough music on it to get you through to your next rotation.

Apple products are geared more toward simplicity and intuitiveness. And their popularity has made finding a dock to recharge, download, or share music over external speakers nearly ubiquitous.

Contrasting with a Sansa or other brand mp3 player where you're fiddling with a microSD card, looking for the adapter to put it in your memory card reader or a mini/micro USB cable to attach the player directly to a computer. Otherwise unplugging the PC speakers to use with the headphone jack if you want to listen without headphones.

I think those small advantages of the iPod over other mp3 players dissipate entirely when you get into the realm of the iPhone, iPad, or even the iPod Touch. vs. Android phones. I'd also rather have the expandability of flash memory cards and more than one source for apps and other downloads on my phone.

Finally, I really haven't figured out the tablet craze at all--iPad or Android. They seem to fill a very narrow niche between a smartphone and a netbook/notebook. And I can't really justify spending a few hundred bucks for one of decent quality. Though the iPad seems to have a much nicer interface and more stability than any Android tablet so far. Hopefully Honeycomb will change that, but still not sure I'd have a use for one.

enantiodromia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enantiodromia

I'm stoked you guys like cheaper MP3 players, but pretending an actual iPod doesn't have tons more features than a bargain basement unit is disingenuous.

mkohanfars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkohanfars

Just bought one from costco for 140....wish I waited and got this deal instead

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
enantiodromia wrote:I'm stoked you guys like cheaper MP3 players, but pretending an actual iPod doesn't have tons more features than a bargain basement unit is disingenuous.

The iPod Nano doesn't have "tons more features". It's comparable to the Sansa products. All iPods are not created equal. I own an iPod Touch 4G and that does have tons more features than my Sansa Fuze. The iPod Touch is worth the extra money. The Nano isn't.

amyfinke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amyfinke

Why does the accessory kit come with an armband if the device has a built-in clip?

dwcfastrice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dwcfastrice

I might snag one of these so I can wear it as a watch....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/29/hex-ships-ipod-nano-watch-band-dares-you-to-destroy-it-video/

D

Dave Chang
Pokemonville, PA 18074

roblewis66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roblewis66
amyfinke wrote:Why does the accessory kit come with an armband if the device has a built-in clip?

It's difficult to clip this to your arm skin unless you have that flappy-arm-dingle-dangle thing going.

hayyim

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hayyim

Here are the minimum system requirements. This Nano will not work with the Tiger OS on a Mac.

From the Apple website:

System requirements

Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later and iTunes 10 or later4
Windows PC with Windows 7, Vista, XP Home or Professional (SP3) or later and iTunes 10 or later4