KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
inkycatz wrote:I feel like we almost need a book club around here. I love seeing what other folks are reading. (It gives me ideas.)

Woot Goodreads group?

I finished, all of them. I haven't gotten much of anything else done, but I also have been feeling pretty crappy. I'm really super light sensitive and my eyes have been hurting a lot.

I'm going to be hated, but I really liked the last one, it's the only one that got to me emotionally. I like that in a book. Some stuff was ruined for me, I knew about one of the early deaths before I started reading - so that didn't impact me as much because I was waiting for it a bit, but I do think it was well done. I spent most of the second book wanting to smack Katniss, but I remember being that age and similar social situations, and I would probably go back and smack myself too. Overall very good books.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
KtCallista wrote:Woot Goodreads group?

I finished, all of them. I haven't gotten much of anything else done, but I also have been feeling pretty crappy. I'm really super light sensitive and my eyes have been hurting a lot.

I'm going to be hated, but I really liked the last one, it's the only one that got to me emotionally. I like that in a book. Some stuff was ruined for me, I knew about one of the early deaths before I started reading - so that didn't impact me as much because I was waiting for it a bit, but I do think it was well done. I spent most of the second book wanting to smack Katniss, but I remember being that age and similar social situations, and I would probably go back and smack myself too. Overall very good books.

I'm glad you liked them. The wait for the last 2 movies is going to be FOREVER! I'm definitely going to have to reread them sometime.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Leahbh wrote:I'm glad you liked them. The wait for the last 2 movies is going to be FOREVER! I'm definitely going to have to reread them sometime.

Since the actress is already in her 20's, how are they going to pull off a 30 year old playing a teen?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Leahbh

dontwantaname wrote:Since the actress is already in her 20's, how are they going to pull off a 30 year old playing a teen?

she's only 21. 2nd movie starts filming soon & I'd guess 3rd would start after 2nd one opens in theaters (nov 2013). Not that big of a deal.

Looked her up on IMDB. She'll be 22 aug 15, so she'll be 23 when the 3rd movie starts filming in about a year.

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:she's only 21. 2nd movie starts filming soon & I'd guess 3rd would start after 2nd one opens in theaters (nov 2013). Not that big of a deal.

Looked her up on IMDB. She'll be 22 aug 15, so she'll be 23 when the 3rd movie starts filming in about a year.

Now that I finished the books, Orc told me he thinks that the guy they cast to play Gale looks too old for that role. Anyone agree/disagree?

Leahbh

KtCallista wrote:Now that I finished the books, Orc told me he thinks that the guy they cast to play Gale looks too old for that role. Anyone agree/disagree?

I don't know about too old, but I thought he was terrible. I was glad he didn't have much to do in the first movie. I prefer his brother (THOR). ;)

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:I don't know about too old, but I thought he was terrible. I was glad he didn't have much to do in the first movie. I prefer his brother (THOR). ;)

Oh dear, I have a very clear mind image of Gale. He's my first fiance ;) At least in the way he acts, his physical description doesn't match. Now I'm not sure if I want to see the movie or not, but it's coming to the art house theater as one of it's weekend blockbusters this next weekend, and it's also my anniversary this week, so we are trying to decide between Hunger Games and Avengers... we may be able to see Avengers with kids, or tag team too.... Which would you guys go see (keep in mind getting a sitter is nigh on impossible, so we almost never go to the movies unless all the kids can go and the youngest is 2)

Leahbh

KtCallista wrote:Oh dear, I have a very clear mind image of Gale. He's my first fiance ;) At least in the way he acts, his physical description doesn't match. Now I'm not sure if I want to see the movie or not, but it's coming to the art house theater as one of it's weekend blockbusters this next weekend, and it's also my anniversary this week, so we are trying to decide between Hunger Games and Avengers... we may be able to see Avengers with kids, or tag team too.... Which would you guys go see (keep in mind getting a sitter is nigh on impossible, so we almost never go to the movies unless all the kids can go and the youngest is 2)

I loved both of the movies. Both are rated pg-13, i think. I'd say avengers is probably more kid friendly. But i don't know, it depends on your kids, i guess. ;)

I saw snow white and the huntsman last night, it was pretty awesome. definitely a movie i'll buy and watch again.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:Now that I finished the books, Orc told me he thinks that the guy they cast to play Gale looks too old for that role. Anyone agree/disagree?

That will be a problem in the movies that Gale is a large roll.

Yes, I will finish the damn book today.

I read the last page. I know she lives.
College and the internet took my ability to read away.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
KtCallista wrote:Oh dear, I have a very clear mind image of Gale. He's my first fiance ;) At least in the way he acts, his physical description doesn't match. Now I'm not sure if I want to see the movie or not, but it's coming to the art house theater as one of it's weekend blockbusters this next weekend, and it's also my anniversary this week, so we are trying to decide between Hunger Games and Avengers... we may be able to see Avengers with kids, or tag team too.... Which would you guys go see (keep in mind getting a sitter is nigh on impossible, so we almost never go to the movies unless all the kids can go and the youngest is 2)

Avengers. I took the eldest (9) to see Hunger Games and he really liked it, but the younger one (5) would not have been entertained through it at all. She liked Avengers a lot.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:I loved both of the movies. Both are rated pg-13, i think. I'd say avengers is probably more kid friendly. But i don't know, it depends on your kids, i guess. ;)

I saw snow white and the huntsman last night, it was pretty awesome. definitely a movie i'll buy and watch again.

My 2 year old is ok, as long as he takes a nap - he doesn't even sit through his favorite movie yet. My 5 year old is scared of everything, or just likes to use movies to cuddle, probably a bit of both. The 7 year old could probably handle anything and then lose it after if it was too much. We don't take them to a lot of movies. Movies are tricky for us anyway - since Orc is legally deaf. Movie theaters still do not offer captioning devices even though they are supposed to be doing that, and finding online captions for new releases is almost impossible.

Leah - you are the first person I've read that likes Snow White and the Huntsman. Everyone else seems to feel that it started well, had a lot of promise and then missed the mark.

Leahbh

KtCallista wrote:
Leah - you are the first person I've read that likes Snow White and the Huntsman. Everyone else seems to feel that it started well, had a lot of promise and then missed the mark.

Maybe it's because I didn't really have high hopes going in. Maybe it's because I liked the actors. I don't know. I don't take movies too serious, or think about them too much.I just go to be entertained and I was.

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:Maybe it's because I didn't really have high hopes going in. Maybe it's because I liked the actors. I don't know. I don't take movies too serious, or think about them too much.I just go to be entertained and I was.

I saw it. I was a bit disappointed in two big things - Katniss's lack of singing; and Peeta's lack of talking. All that I went with agreed that Peeta was made too much of a warrior and too little of a diplomat. Personally, I got really let down when every time we came to a scene where Peeta was going to shine and the scene changed instead. Overall a good movie, but definitely scenes that we all wanted to see were lacking. However, we agreed to concede that to see the movie we would have wanted it would have been 4 hours long or so, which is not practical.

Leahbh

KtCallista wrote:I saw it. I was a bit disappointed in two big things - Katniss's lack of singing; and Peeta's lack of talking. All that I went with agreed that Peeta was made too much of a warrior and too little of a diplomat. Personally, I got really let down when every time we came to a scene where Peeta was going to shine and the scene changed instead. Overall a good movie, but definitely scenes that we all wanted to see were lacking. However, we agreed to concede that to see the movie we would have wanted it would have been 4 hours long or so, which is not practical.

I think he'll get his shot in the second movie. I think pretty much this one was all about katniss. Actually, I'm most looking forward to the 3rd movie.

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:I think he'll get his shot in the second movie. I think pretty much this one was all about katniss. Actually, I'm most looking forward to the 3rd movie.

I hope the next one is good, because that book was a bit harder to get through - really wanted to smack Katniss for about half the book. If I didn't care about the side characters so much I might have given up - of course I felt that way for the first part of the 3rd book too. We went to the movie with one friend who had only read the very first part of the book and she felt there were many scenes that didn't make much sense especially when there wasn't enough dialog, she is also visually impaired so the high action and shaky cam were a bigger disservice to her. Having read the book did give enough background to make several of the flashbacks and motivations make sense, otherwise they were confusing.

justinlstn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinlstn

I listened to the books (prefer audio-books) and i was not impressed with the series. Book one was ehh, Book two was great, book three had promise and then the ending seemed to be a big let down. I am not going to spoil it for anyone who is looking forward to reading it. I was plan on watching the movies but i wanted to listen to the books first but now i have no desire to watch the movies unless they somehow make the third movie better then the book. a couple of good series to read is Rangers Apprentice which has 11 books total, Percy Jackson has 8 as of right now, or if you prefer something more adult oriented A story of Fire and Ice or as HBO refers to it as Game of thrones. Also Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hutner was a entertaining book especially after reading Lincolns real biography A. Linocln.

KtCallista

justinlstn wrote:I listened to the books (prefer audio-books) and i was not impressed with the series. Book one was ehh, Book two was great, book three had promise and then the ending seemed to be a big let down. I am not going to spoil it for anyone who is looking forward to reading it. I was plan on watching the movies but i wanted to listen to the books first but now i have no desire to watch the movies unless they somehow make the third movie better then the book. a couple of good series to read is Rangers Apprentice which has 11 books total, Percy Jackson has 8 as of right now, or if you prefer something more adult oriented A story of Fire and Ice or as HBO refers to it as Game of thrones. Also Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hutner was a entertaining book especially after reading Lincolns real biography A. Linocln.

I'm a big fan of Percy Jackson. I recommend it much more broadly than Hunger Games. I've also read the Cain Chronicles by the same author, which is interesting, but not as gripping as Percy - but I find much more enjoyable in the audio format than written. My kids also love the audio books for the 39 Clues series, which we listen to on road trips. (I like them too, but they are clearly for a younger audience).

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the books, but I'm glad you came in with your opinion. I think there are a few spoilers in this thread already - although the title doesn't highlight it like the Game of Thrones thread. I'd love to know in specific what you didn't like, especially since you obviously found the 2nd book your most favorite, where I did not. Obviously, the content of what is happening in the world was not enjoyable, but I don't think that is what either of us mean.

I haven't read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, but my husband really wants to see the movie. I may have to look into it.

Leahbh

Did you see it's official? The 2nd book will be made into 2 movies, with the last one being released in 2015. It's gonna be a long wait.

KtCallista

Leahbh wrote:Did you see it's official? The 2nd book will be made into 2 movies, with the last one being released in 2015. It's gonna be a long wait.

I hadn't seen that, i n t e r e s t i n g . . .

Leahbh

rlswolf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rlswolf

Just finished the 3rd book last weekend. I agree with whoever said that it seemed very rushed...I wonder why that was? If there had been another 50-75 pages things could have been explained more fully and it wouldn't have been so abrupt. I was dissapointed in the ending.