comish4lif

quality posts: 2 Private Messages comish4lif

I bought one of these a year or so ago - still works great. I'm the kind of guy that puts it back in the box and back in the cabinet after each use...

I just used it on Mother's Day - had a chicken in my smoker. Can't serve undercooked poultry on a holiday.

Do not mistake coincidence for fate.

lindal33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindal33

In for one.

bthomas100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bthomas100

In for One!
I've had various manufacturers of these. I have a wired Maverick that works well. The Webers both died on me.

Here the value proposition:
- 17.99 for a thermometer and many perfectly cooked hunks o' meat,
vs:
the cost of one hunk of meat that was ruined while I was doing shots with my in-laws, plus on angry wife whose services were withheld thereafter.

Yeah, I'm "in" for one! ;)

rmrenwick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmrenwick

in for 1! paid more for my wired thermometer probe
been wanting one of these, great for doing those 14 hour smoked pork butts.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg
Santeeruss wrote:Since they're remote, won't the frequencies conflict with each other??

That's a negative. They'll operate at different bands.

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114

Remember folks, grilling season is just starting, and this strikes me as something you should have if you want to BBQ like a pro, and use temperature to determine doneness and not time and eyeballs. While effective, usually using temperature to determine doneness will produce better - and juicer - results.

Plus, this thing is wireless, so if you are grilling as part of an event or at a party, you can step away for a few minutes and chat and not have to run back over to the grill every few mins to check temps. Flipping is another story though!

Also, it's not just for the grill, its great for the oven too!

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
bpb-o wrote:Exactly what is a quality post???. Anyone know?

See my post above giving a good review of the item in question. Quality in the post = quality post if the woot gods see fit.

FrogControl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FrogControl

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest
greenpotatochip wrote:It's "AN" shrubbery

AND what are you, some kind of AN Zaphod Beeblebrox?

@crowsnest531

pirate943

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pirate943

if you need this, you should step away from the BBQ

xnavy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xnavy

In for 1.. looks like a good deal!

stanishr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stanishr

Oral or rectal?

Hank

wehrd1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wehrd1

....because one can not leave one's meat unattended for long.

crowsnest

bpb-o wrote:I've been a WOOT member for over 5 years and have none. Just wondering!!

Just something the staff thinks contributes to the item for sale. Experience with it, Reviews, thing of that nature.

@crowsnest531

jim87678

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jim87678

Amazon comments.. seem decent

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-ET-901-Wireless-Thermometer/product-reviews/B000FADA48/ref=cm_cmu_pg_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

dbody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbody
crowsnest wrote:AND what are you, some kind of AN Zaphod Beeblebrox?

be cool and not use that Zaphod Beeblebrox word!!! they will get you!!

toweln

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toweln

I have this and love it.

mikehell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mikehell
stanishr wrote:Oral or rectal?

Q: How can you tell the difference between an oral termometer and a rectal thermometer?

A: The taste.

allogator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allogator
FrogControl wrote:

I was going to make a comment on how that looks more like an old Motorola cell phone than a thermometer.

You beat me, but better.

WhirlwindMonk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhirlwindMonk
pirate943 wrote:if you need this, you should step away from the BBQ

Or maybe you're just learning and don't feel like figuring it out via the guess-and-check method that ends with raw meat that dries out since you cut it open and let all the juices out? No, clearly not.

I have one of these, works nicely. I disagree with it on what constitutes a "well done" steak, but once I knew to cook a few degrees beyond when it says it's done, things have turned out fine.

bnhadams

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bnhadams

Hells Bells, at that price, why not. In for one.

dannythekid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannythekid

Save your money and google how to cook food properly. Bought one and it never worked right.

seanlange

quality posts: 3 Private Messages seanlange
RoachisaroacH wrote:If you cook BEEF to 170 you and it have no taste

+5

homophil79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages homophil79

In for 3, 1 for me, 2 for gifts.
This is an AWESOME product.

knitwriter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knitwriter

I'm sick of eating chicken nuggets instead of chicken breasts.
Thanks Woot!

Woody1150

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Woody1150

Greshmahg

pirate943 wrote:if you need this, you should step away from the BBQ

Remind me to never eat at your house. I prefer precision.

rmrenwick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmrenwick

these aren't going to do you much good for doing a steak or a burger, but they are a must have for some serious BBQ. anything low and slow is all about the temperature and not a time line.
good deal too,
$30.57 shipped on amazon, $59.99 list price.

comish4lif

quality posts: 2 Private Messages comish4lif
redwings wrote:Can this be used with a rotisserie?

I'm going with a no on this one. If you put the thermometer in the meat on the rotisserie, and connect the thermometer to the base, the spinning rotisserie will coil up the base and pull it in towards the meat....

The thermometer is connected by wire to the base, and then the sensor can be put in your pocket as you walk away from your grill.

Do not mistake coincidence for fate.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
Greshmahg wrote:I'm in for 2, but I have a caveat for potential buyers: This thing is only rated for a maximum temperature of 479 degrees.

Why is this important? Well, if you are like me and have an infrared grill, it can get up to over 900 degrees, which would melt the compound in the probe, rendering it useless. If you have an infrared, I recommend the dual probe thermoworks with tips that are rated for 1000+.

Why 2 for me? For one of my smokers. One probe to put into the meat to monitor it, and one probe to attach to an alligator clip in the smoker itself to get a detailed reading of the actual temp in it (which should never go above about 225).

works great if clipped right in a smoker.

crowsnest

dbody wrote:be cool and not use that butthole word!!! they will get you!!

You're telling me......I'm the king of probation.

I edited your post!

@crowsnest531

kdirty214

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kdirty214
Greshmahg wrote: This thing is only rated for a maximum temperature of 479 degrees.

Not to mention most charcoal grills, if you're doing direct heat searing, are going to hover around 500 degrees. Still, I'm in for 1.

Greshmahg

RoachisaroacH wrote:If you cook BEEF to 170 you and it have no taste

Actually, a smoked brisket isn't done until 165, and it will carry over to 170. So, ummm....what were you talking about?

theschles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theschles

Now if only they could also push the ET-73 model which is built for smokers. $35.99 on Amazon...hoping for find it for somewhat less.

laelthewhale

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laelthewhale

have i missed the bandolier of carrots yet?

pirate943

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pirate943
Greshmahg wrote:Remind me to never eat at your house. I prefer precision.

you'd never want to eat anywhere else after you eat at my house.

BrainFreeze

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrainFreeze

Maverick makes some great products but these are not good for BBQ. The problem comes from not being able to set the temperature. The temps are hard set.

If you want a BBQ thermo look at the ET-73 or ET-732. Yes they cost more but it's two thermometers, one for the smoker and one for the meat. It also lets you set the done temp for the meat in 1 degree increments. You can set a range for the smoker and it gives you a warning if you fall out of that range.

zenophon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenophon
zabujil wrote:We bought this the last go-round. My DH loves it.

Nice to see someone here from the American League. Go Tribe!

nyrocks24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyrocks24
greenpotatochip wrote:It's "AN" shrubbery

know thy Monty Python. It is "A" shrubbery!

Greshmahg

BrainFreeze wrote:Maverick makes some great products but these are not good for BBQ. The problem comes from not being able to set the temperature. The temps are hard set.

If you want a BBQ thermo look at the ET-73 or ET-732. Yes they cost more but it's two thermometers, one for the smoker and one for the meat. It also lets you set the done temp for the meat in 1 degree increments. You can set a range for the smoker and it gives you a warning if you fall out of that range.

I actually just ordered a 732 a couple of days ago. It's not meant for a smoker, it's meant for high heat environments. It's complete overkill for a smoker.