jencook


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jencook

Received without power plug or instructions. So the money I saved ordering it on Woot instead of Amazon I will now spend on Amazon to buy a power source. Not a great first experiene I would say.

aero125


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aero125

Kudos to woot! customer service! Received a short order by mistake this morning and had the promise of a favorable resolution within ninety minutes. Can't ask for much better than that! Thank you!

britinichu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages britinichu

Fastest Woot EVER!

Are you trying to spoil me, flying monkeys?

I don't see what the big deal is about the power cord. It's so easy to find a USB power adapter. ALSO people are complaining ON COMPUTERS about the problem. #solved

chrkle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrkle

Just got mine, and it works perfect. I just updated it to 2.5.8 and yes there was no power plug, just a usb cable, but that's not a problem as I have a spare iphone charger. Thanks for the quick shipping woot!

jackieinschool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackieinschool

the picture on the front of my new kindle shows me plugging it into the wall socket. but I don't have the end part on the cord to do that. was that supposed to come with this or not? if so, how do I get one, if not, I guess I just go to radio shack? what do I ask for?
thanks
Jackie - brand newbie, practically still in my box

chrkle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrkle
jackieinschool wrote:the picture on the front of my new kindle shows me plugging it into the wall socket. but I don't have the end part on the cord to do that. was that supposed to come with this or not? if so, how do I get one, if not, I guess I just go to radio shack? what do I ask for?
thanks
Jackie - brand newbie, practically still in my box



I used an iphone charger, but any generic wall to usb charger should work. Also you can plug it in to your computer but when I did that it stayed in disk mode.

jackieinschool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackieinschool
chrkle wrote:I used an iphone charger, but any generic wall to usb charger should work. Also you can plug it in to your computer but when I did that it stayed in disk mode.



OK - I have it plugged into my laptop - how do I know if it's charging? right now it says USB Drive Mode and that seems hopeful.

there is a yellow light where the plug goes in at the bottom of the kindle.

jackieinschool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackieinschool

when I went to Amazon and looked at the map, I do NOT have 3G service where I live (BFE) but I assume I can download books just not as fast?

hopefully?

smooches, I love my first Woot. or I will, soon.

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
jackieinschool wrote:OK - I have it plugged into my laptop - how do I know if it's charging? right now it says USB Drive Mode and that seems hopeful.

there is a yellow light where the plug goes in at the bottom of the kindle.



When the yellow light turns green, it's fully charged. Mine came completely discharged and it's been on an iPad charger for about 2 1/2 hours now. Supposed to take 3 1/2 to 4 hours to fully charge. Once it has a partial charge it can be used. Mine was usable in about an hour. I transferred some books, registered it, and thoroughly checked it out and then put it back on the
charger.

Guides are available here:
https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_Quick_Start_Guide_v4.pdf
https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle%20User's%20Guide,%204A%20Ed.%20-%20English.pdf

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
jackieinschool wrote:when I went to Amazon and looked at the map, I do NOT have 3G service where I live (BFE) but I assume I can download books just not as fast?

hopefully?

smooches, I love my first Woot. or I will, soon.



You got it right. You can still download outside a 3G area, just not as fast.

jackieinschool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackieinschool
Dragonfly47 wrote:You got it right. You can still download outside a 3G area, just not as fast.



I will check out those links, thanks. this is FUN.

hope there is free stuff. I see you can get a copy of the NY Times for 99 cents.

YAY! I wooted and I have a Kindle!

TheRealHRM


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheRealHRM

It took me 30 seconds to find and download a manual.

Tell me how great I am. (and stop whining)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200317150

jackieinschool


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackieinschool
TheRealHRM wrote:It took me 30 seconds to find and download a manual.

Tell me how great I am. (and stop whining)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200317150



you are SO great!

now stop braggin.



drewmat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewmat

Just so everyone is aware, these are NOT warrantied by amazon.

I got mine in today and the buttons on the left side didn't work (prev page, next page). Woot told me to contact amazon for warranty replacement and amazon told me that they don't warranty the 2nd gen kindles. They're still replacing it for me (Go amazon!), but you may not be so lucky.

4elise


quality posts: 1 Private Messages 4elise
agingdragqueen wrote:We're shipping these out as quickly as possible, FYI. The majority have already been shipped and I believe the rest will be going out today. Tracking emails are being sent periodically.



Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.



I ordered 3 but only got one. Aren't they suppose to all come together? The other two are gifts for my niece and nephew. How do I find out if this was a mistake? Thanks so much!

buggsy2


quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2
drewmat wrote:Just so everyone is aware, these are NOT warrantied by amazon.

I got mine in today and the buttons on the left side didn't work (prev page, next page). Woot told me to contact amazon for warranty replacement and amazon told me that they don't warranty the 2nd gen kindles. They're still replacing it for me (Go amazon!), but you may not be so lucky.


Sounds like the warranty was honored.

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
drewmat wrote:Just so everyone is aware, these are NOT warrantied by amazon.



Sounds like a bit of a disconnect since 1)Woot is a subsidiary of Amazon 2)Amazon sent me an email ("Amazon.com: A Kindle Deal on Woot, Today Only") with a link to the Woot deal 3) which says "Warranty: 1 Year Amazon".

Hopefully someone on the Woot staff will clarify this here.

ptooey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptooey

My wife ordered one of these for our daughter. We received it today - UNBELIEVABLY fast shipping. +1 for Woot.

However, the map they referenced for wireless coverage was not for the devices being sold.

This shows the actual coverage for the 1st generation device. There's a big difference - especially for those of us in Wyoming. -1 for Woot.

Still a decent deal, and obviously, books can still be loaded via computer, but truth in advertising would have been appreciated.

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
ptooey wrote:My wife ordered one of these for our daughter. We received it today - UNBELIEVABLY fast shipping. +1 for Woot.

However, the map they referenced for wireless coverage was not for the devices being sold.

This shows the actual coverage for the 1st generation device. There's a big difference - especially for those of us in Wyoming. -1 for Woot.

Still a decent deal, and obviously, books can still be loaded via computer, but truth in advertising would have been appreciated.



What you have is the second generation Kindle 2, not the first generation. Coverage is better, even in Wyoming.



ptooey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptooey
Dragonfly47 wrote:What you have is the second generation Kindle 2, not the first generation. Coverage is better, even in Wyoming.


Okiedoke. Wanna come over and get this thing to connect to the network for me?

jettavdwrvr


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr

Score! My Blackberry charger works for this...Curve 9330.

Linktoreality


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Linktoreality

Huh, thought this was gonna have wi-fi as well... oh well, I suppose downloading via whispernet is just a tad slower. Still, would've been nice...

MariLynch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MariLynch
raelalt wrote:The refurbs do not come with the charger.



Are you saying it comes without the USB cable to attach it to the computer? How does one charge it then?

MariLynch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MariLynch

Mine won't arrive until Friday (Florida), but that's OK because it's my birthday!

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
ptooey wrote:Okiedoke. Wanna come over and get this thing to connect to the network for me?



Put your address in the coverage map at http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html and see if you're supposed to have reception in your location. The 2nd gen map indicates some EDGE/GPRS coverage in about 75% of Wyoming and a bit of 3G on the Idaho border.

Perhaps you don't live in a coverage area, perhaps you live in a weak coverage area or perhaps your Kindle 2 is malfunctioning. In any case, you should be looking at the 2nd gen map as an approximation of coverage, not the 1st gen.

But as the carriers say, "Our coverage maps provide high level estimates of our coverage areas when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science."

Dragonfly47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47
MariLynch wrote:Are you saying it comes without the USB cable to attach it to the computer? How does one charge it then?



It comes with the USB cable. You can charge from your computer or from any USB wall wart.

It took me approximately 5 hours to get a green light (full charge) on a completely discharged battery using the USB charger from my iPad.

ejsjrnc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejsjrnc

anyone know if there is a lighted case for this one like the one here available for this?

The one linked states it won't fit the 2nd gen....

compac


quality posts: 2 Private Messages compac

Yeah, and who could have pick a better title that is the BIG of big brothers...
"1984"
;)

raelalt wrote:That caused quite a stir as well as a PR nightmare for Amazon. They have not done anything like that since but still...

Though would you rather trust Sony? They who have deliberately installed rootkits on users PCs? And apparently have no use for securing their users data, as in the latest PSN scandal?



In the VA Blue Ridge Mtns.

gazerwolf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gazerwolf
ejsjrnc wrote:anyone know if there is a lighted case for this one like the one here available for this?

The one linked states it won't fit the 2nd gen....



The k3 was designed to provide power through the hinge clip system. The K2 did not have that capability. There might be some covers with built in book lights available for the k2, but they would have to have their own power source.

(Personally I use the Octovo Solis book light and an Oberon cover.)

borktroll


quality posts: 0 Private Messages borktroll

Fedex left my package somewhere and when I got home from work it was nowhere to be found.

My assumption is the worst-case scenario that someone stole it. Have called fedex and established a trace number for a lost package, and my landlord to see if they have it.

Is there anything I can do to get another one?

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Dragonfly47 wrote:Sounds like a bit of a disconnect since 1)Woot is a subsidiary of Amazon 2)Amazon sent me an email ("Amazon.com: A Kindle Deal on Woot, Today Only") with a link to the Woot deal 3) which says "Warranty: 1 Year Amazon".

Hopefully someone on the Woot staff will clarify this here.



They're covered by Amazon. Some of our customers have already received assistance from them. If you have issues, it's not going to be really hard for us to clarify with their CS peeps since they're our new mommy, but we need to hear from anyone who does have an issue.

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

4elise wrote:I ordered 3 but only got one. Aren't they suppose to all come together? The other two are gifts for my niece and nephew. How do I find out if this was a mistake? Thanks so much!



It was likely a mistake- please email in so we can get a record of you not receiving all you should have.

liquidpen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages liquidpen

Waiting to hear back from woot on this item.

Received the kindle charged it up. Turned it on started typing with it and you depress one letter and multiple letters pop up. Just one of the problems with it. Such a shame never had a let down from a woot product.

Can somebody from woot help me?

XaqFixx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XaqFixx

In the same boat as @4elise and @aero125, ordered 2 but only received 1, this is the first (and hopefully only) problem I have had with a Woot! order.

negativecharisma


quality posts: 4 Private Messages negativecharisma

Received mine today, and it looks brand new. You do get a USB cord, as I know some people were confused about what you get. Step 1 shows plugging into the wall, but plugging into your computer charges it as well.

Mine came loaded with the quick start guide. I see others posted links to it. I registered mine by going to the main Amazon page, hovered over the Kindle tab, and clicked 'manage your Kindle'. From there, it shows you how to register.

To compare this to the Sony... I have both the Sony Touch and the Sony Pocket. The Kindle text is much more clear and easier to read. I'm glad I decided to pick this item up! Now I can't wait to use Calibre and add my own books to the library as well.

hwagon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hwagon

We, the Hitchhikers? I ordered 2 Kindles, paid for 2 Kindles, tracked & received a package that said it contained 2 Kindles, opened the box that held... wait for it... 1 Kindle?

The savages are already fighting over it. That's why I bought 2! Yikes!

Sent an email to service@woot.com
I hope they fix this quick. The anklebiters are turning ugly!

XaqFixx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XaqFixx
hwagon wrote:We, the Hitchhikers? I ordered 2 Kindles, paid for 2 Kindles, tracked & received a package that said it contained 2 Kindles, opened the box that held... wait for it... 1 Kindle?


This seems to have happened to several people (myself included). Fortunately, the folks at Woot! have been quick to respond and will hopefully ship as quickly the second time.

hwagon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hwagon

Ha! Love autotext. I typed the letters "W", "T", & "H". Autotext filled in the rest.
Gotta love it!

hwagon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hwagon
drewmat wrote:Just so everyone is aware, these are NOT warrantied by amazon.

I got mine in today and the buttons on the left side didn't work (prev page, next page). Woot told me to contact amazon for warranty replacement and amazon told me that they don't warranty the 2nd gen kindles. They're still replacing it for me (Go amazon!), but you may not be so lucky.



You're right, "Go Amazon", but the rest sucks. I probably wouldn't have ordered if I'd known they weren't under any warranty. :-( Hope Amazon will still step up if necessary.

hwagon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hwagon
agingdragqueen wrote:They're covered by Amazon. Some of our customers have already received assistance from them. If you have issues, it's not going to be really hard for us to clarify with their CS peeps since they're our new mommy, but we need to hear from anyone who does have an issue.



Thanks for the clarification!