finnthefickle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finnthefickle

Got mine today, in perfect condition with an SD card and no unpleasant reminders of the previous owner. This is my second woot and once again I'm going away happy. Thanks!

love2shoppe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages love2shoppe

I'm not a Tekkie...and am trying to figure out the best way to connect. I contacted Sprint & was informed they don't offer "Broadband2Go" or prepaid broadband service. Finally contacted Virgin and they advised me that they do offer it BUT I have to buy a MiFi Modem for $149 before I pay my $50 (just for WiFi) for each month's service as I use it. (The cost was $40 apparently but has gone up). This seems expensive as I already have a Samsung Galaxy S cell phone. Any techs out there with suggestions for me on how I can use this thing without breaking the bank. I really don't feel like shelling out another $150 right now. I pay for DSL on my laptop so just don't need another contracted service.

amirhomayoun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amirhomayoun
love2shoppe wrote:I'm not a Tekkie...and am trying to figure out the best way to connect. I contacted Sprint & was informed they don't offer "Broadband2Go" or prepaid broadband service. Finally contacted Virgin and they advised me that they do offer it BUT I have to buy a MiFi Modem for $149 before I pay my $50 (just for WiFi) for each month's service as I use it. (The cost was $40 apparently but has gone up). This seems expensive as I already have a Samsung Galaxy S cell phone. Any techs out there with suggestions for me on how I can use this thing without breaking the bank. I really don't feel like shelling out another $150 right now. I pay for DSL on my laptop so just don't need another contracted service.

Root your Galaxy S device, (This is a good place to start: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s-all-things-root/ ), Then using applications like this: (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/) you can share your cell phone's internet connection with your tablet.
READ THE GUIDES AND POSTS ON THAT FORUM! DO NOT JUMP INTO SOMETHING BEFORE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

amirhomayoun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amirhomayoun

Got my Galaxy Tab Yesterday (as Fedex tracking website was suggesting).
No problem so far. No scratches or missing memory cards. It's obvious the package has been opened before though (It's refurbished anyway!). Went with wifi only and everything worked great. (Thanks woot!)

Has everybody installed the updates from sprint? I still have not and some comment a couple of pages ago scared me that I may get GPS (?) problems after updating. (The update is around 40 MB and it's info says it's about email exchange service.)

I also will appreciate it if someone could suggest a good car mount + an offline navigator (does not need to be free!).

Thanks!

stefanressing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stefanressing
splatmatt wrote:*****READ THIS*****

My Tab came today and had some scratches around the bezel and the device was already registered to another Sprint User! Sprint could not even release the device to me. Since the device is registered to another user it restores their gmail account and their contacts on the device which I have full access to. Even if I perform a factory restore their info is restored. Sprint said they can't do anything about it even to protect the original owners account.

I was really looking forward to this device and now it is unusable!

*****************UPDATE********************

Woot responded quickly and offered a refund and provided return shipping without cost.

Because Woot was so responsible in handling this matter I will definitely try another Woot purchase in the future.

Hello,

I have the same issue, e.g. somebody's gmail account cannot be removed and I can read their e-mails and facebook stuff. Really bad....

I hope to get this send back too. Not a good experience so....

*** Update ***
Wood responded and offered a replacement but I'm running out of time since it was a birthday present, now I sent it back for a refund.

douglaslem88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages douglaslem88

This is my first Woot and I've learned a lesson. I always have packages sent to my office since someone is always there. I didn't know that they shipped FEDEX ground and they deliver late in the day after 5 and nobody is there to accept the package. They tried to deliver Sat, than Tuesday. I had them hold it at a FEDEX facility and it is on the truck to be left at the facility but it won't get there until after I go home (30 miles away) today so I won't get it until tomorrow. Sure hope it is in good shape and has a card in it after reading the previous posts.

jodyrobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodyrobe

Anyone else receive the Samsung Galaxy Tab without a MicroSD Card?

jodyrobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodyrobe

Got mine yesterday also without a MicroSd card installed or in the box. But I got a SD Card Adapter...are they freaking serious. Sprint Version

Pardon me, I'm a racist dork.apin wrote:I did not receive a 16GB microSD card with my unit. I did get the SD adapter, though.

I had to stick in my own 2GB microSD card in the side to be able to save pics.

Am I missing something?

slugator

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slugator

Uggh, no microSD card with my order.

We'll see what happens.

mavenz99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mavenz99

Mine came with the MicroSD card installed, but not mounted or formatted. I had to first mount it, then format it.

dancjones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dancjones

Absolutely love mine!

derekserino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekserino

Mine also came logged in with personal info (email and facebook etc.) and even a factory reset doesnt take it away...Emailed Woot, awaiting for a reply.

skiphay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiphay

Had mine a week now. Continues to work great. No probs. Wireless tether to phone for 3G, Skype, Slingbox, all work well.

monkeyrocket

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyrocket

Mine crashes very often... I like it but im rebooting over and over. No 3rd party crap either. it did an update the first time I used it and now crashes.

jandara85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandara85

Another satisfied wooter. Mine works great and came with everything as described - for those of you whose didn't. woot'l cover you.

bhammark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhammark
danieln wrote:You don't need to activate it. Just hit the home button. Takes you to the main menu.

Use SuperOneClick 1.7 (SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse.zip) to root the device and then to get rid of the annoying Sprint Activation notification that says "Activation Not Completed", rename the SprintAdroidExtension.apk in /system/app to SprintAdroidExtension.apk.old and reboot. I also recommend installing AdFree from BigTinCan.

I used SuperOneClick and removed SprintAndroidExtension.apk from the /system/app folder (I placed a copy in a directory on the SD card in case I need it again).

Initially, this worked.... But a couple days later, the nag is back. I checked and the SprintAndroidExtension.apk is still gone, but the nagging is back! Hmmm.... I guess I'm the only one that has experienced this so far. I guess I'll have to wait until it happens to some more people. I probably caused it to come back by messing with some cellular only settings in the Settings Menu, like allowing mobile network and enable data roaming. Curiosity kills the cat, I guess. I noticed after I changed those settings that the 3G indicator lit up at the top of the screen and a download commenced for several seconds. The indicator was one I had not seen before. It was blue and said "3G 1x" and shortly after that, the dreaded NAG!

So... if you know a fix, let me know. If you've removed SprintAndroidExtension.apk and it is working - Don't get curious like I did. At least it's just an annoyance that can be bypassed.

bhammark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhammark
bhammark wrote:I used SuperOneClick and removed SprintAndroidExtension.apk from the /system/app folder (I placed a copy in a directory on the SD card in case I need it again).

Initially, this worked.... But a couple days later, the nag is back. I checked and the SprintAndroidExtension.apk is still gone, but the nagging is back! Hmmm.... I guess I'm the only one that has experienced this so far. I guess I'll have to wait until it happens to some more people. I probably caused it to come back by messing with some cellular only settings in the Settings Menu, like allowing mobile network and enable data roaming. Curiosity kills the cat, I guess. I noticed after I changed those settings that the 3G indicator lit up at the top of the screen and a download commenced for several seconds. The indicator was one I had not seen before. It was blue and said "3G 1x" and shortly after that, the dreaded NAG!

So... if you know a fix, let me know. If you've removed SprintAndroidExtension.apk and it is working - Don't get curious like I did. At least it's just an annoyance that can be bypassed.

UPDATE: I powered the tablet off and on again. The Nag did not immediately appear on power-up, so maybe somehow it loaded from the "cloud" when I messed with those data roaming settings under Wireless and Network (which I won't do again). Hopefully its gone for good again since the APK everyone seems to think is responsible is also gone.

warsha2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warsha2

The activation message keeps coming up on mine. I have read about rooting it, but am very uncomfortable doing that. Any suggestions? I did a factory reset but it didn't help.

stefanressing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stefanressing
warsha2 wrote:The activation message keeps coming up on mine. I have read about rooting it, but am very uncomfortable doing that. Any suggestions? I did a factory reset but it didn't help.

No you have to root it so that you can remove the .apk, also I would remove the phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk which use battery. I did that at my nook and it works better. That way it is only a tablet and not a tablet with 3G which you too many cookies to use unless pay for Sprint.

elmersy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmersy
steve706 wrote:*****
Woot offered me a replacement or refund on the item. As cool as this thing seemed, im holding out for another non-refurbished tablet woot offer.

Same thing happened in my tab. When reboot all applications were lost.

rgoff31

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rgoff31

Engadget is reporting that we will be getting Gingerbread today.

Sprint updating the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Gingerbread on July 5

teddy1971

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teddy1971
rgoff31 wrote:Engadget is reporting that we will be getting Gingerbread today.

Sprint updating the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Gingerbread on July 5

I got the update and now neflix and Skype 2.0 with Video works great. I'm happy I picked up the Sprint Version of the Tab

foehngoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foehngoes
teddy1971 wrote:I got the update and now neflix and Skype 2.0 with Video works great. I'm happy I picked up the Sprint Version of the Tab

Can anybody confirm that they got this update over wifi without 3g service? Anxiously awaiting my update! :-)

sadocat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sadocat
teddy1971 wrote:I got the update and now neflix and Skype 2.0 with Video works great. I'm happy I picked up the Sprint Version of the Tab

Are you an activated customer of Sprint? Or were you able to get this using Wi-Fi only? (I never activated with Sprint - just using WiFi but hoping I can bump to 2.3).

thanks

kevinknapp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinknapp
sadocat wrote:Are you an activated customer of Sprint? Or were you able to get this using Wi-Fi only? (I never activated with Sprint - just using WiFi but hoping I can bump to 2.3).

I never activated my 3G, and I downloaded and installed this update via wifi yesterday.

rgoff31

kevinknapp wrote:I never activated my 3G, and I downloaded and installed this update via wifi yesterday.

Very Cool!! I'll keep trying.

I keep getting this error...

foehngoes

rgoff31 wrote:Very Cool!! I'll keep trying.

I keep getting this error...

I have seen someone here and someone over at xda forum ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148447&page=34 ) say they DID GET the gingerbread update over wifi with no 3g activated with Sprint! :-) Sprint tech support said it wouldn't (grr! tech support!) but Sprint Cares said that YES it would update... looks like maybe they were right? The irony here is that Sprint IS my carrier for many, many years, but I needed no 2 year contract for this, and Sprint is stubbornly determined to not take my money for a month to month contract. If I wanted a 2 year contract, I'd have gotten a subsidized unit! Their loss! Anyway, a few other place on the internet, people said the way to get the update without 3g is to hit "android update" and not "firmware update" as "firmware update" will always hang without 3g. Can anybody else confirm this? Woot! ;-)

foehngoes

Re: Updating to Gingerbread without 3G...

http://www.thegalaxytabforum.com/index.php?/topic/4509-good-news-for-sprint-tab-owners/

(see post #5)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148447&page=34

(see post #337)

mistertapehead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistertapehead

received gingerbread upgrade last night over wifi. have sprint refurb tablet from woot with no data account. quick and easy upgrade. works great. netflix now available. everything works more quickly. located in chapel hill, nc

cdhuttonsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdhuttonsc
mistertapehead wrote:received gingerbread upgrade last night over wifi. have sprint refurb tablet from woot with no data account. quick and easy upgrade. works great. netflix now available. everything works more quickly. located in chapel hill, nc

Same here. My tablet from Woot is running as WiFi only and I received the update from Sprint overnight. First thing this morning the tablet had an alert saying the update had downloaded and I just had to accept the installation. I got the same error screen afterwards that many people have seen, but no problems.

Personally aside from a couple of UI tweaks I'm not noticing any major functional differences. If it is quicker then that may be the case but I always found it pretty snappy with Froyo. Of course I canned my Netflix subscription a couple of months back, so that isn't a big deal to me.

Still - nice to get the upgrade without a Sprint data plan!

rgoff31

My update arrived this evening and I have No contact with Sprint.

MadDogBrenner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MadDogBrenner

I got my Gingerbread via WiFi at a hotel in Costa Rica no less. Very cool surprise to wake up to. Hadn't even been paying attention. It messed up my Amazon App store account, so all of those apps wanted internet connection while I was on the plane back. No Angry Birds Rio for me on the ride back, dang it.

Everything is back up and running for me. I am VERY excited about Netflix and Skype being updated as well.

Very happy with my purchase. (I was already, but it just keeps getting better.)

mmvinnyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmvinnyt

I downloaded the Gingerbread update, loaded it onto my SD card, boot in recovery, and applied the update manually, however the installation stops midway because the system could not verify the wpa_supplicant file. I modified the wpa_supplicant file because I wanted to enable ad-hoc tethering on the Tab to my phone. But I forgot to keep the original file. Can someone post the original wpa_supplicant found on a stock Sprint Tab with froyo? It's under (root access) /system/bin/wpa_supplicant. I would greatly appreciate it!

daffy4u

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daffy4u

I ended up giving mine to my Mother. I want another one!

teddy1971

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teddy1971

I enede up selling mine for $240 and getting the Asus Transformer for $299 from Staples. The Tab was good but the transformer is great. ;)

Triple007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Triple007

Loving it! Received mine in perfect condition and with everything I expected to receive!