corvettejoe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages corvettejoe

I won't touch Invicta's over $100.

I'm wearing one of their dive watches right now (the Submariner knock off), and I've already scratched the glass and bezel up... my Fomega I got at China Town has been beat up worse, and its still in much better shape than the Invicta.

The watch is nice though, has a decent, but not heavy weight (read as cheap)... but the bracelets SUCK. With this having a rubber strap, maybe it will feel nicer (I swapped mine out for a Nato strap to match the Bond watch, much better than the crap bracelet it came with).

I like a LOT of Invicta's watches, but paying more than $100 for it when it won't even hold up to my cheaper watches is just not worth it to me.

Check out the deal-a-day watch sites (especially chronoshark) for your watch needs

whistl3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whistl3r

a real watch...

1rayburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1rayburn

Color me better than blessed because I've never had an issue with Invictas...I've never gotten as many compliments on a watch either. Others are absolutely correct that they are not "investment quality" in the sense that you aren't going to be reselling them at a profit anytime soon (read: Pre-Rapture).

Bottom line: Invicta is not for those who wish to have a complimentary accessory but rather the Chris Tucker "Daaaaaaaamnnnn" reaction when you wear it.

kurtgonext

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurtgonext

These are substandard watches as has been duly noted in this post. I've had a Seiko dive watch for 23 years (wife gave it to me on our 1st anniversary) and it has been an absolute workhorse. Have friends who bought Invicta at Costco and have regretted it.

rmillera1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmillera1

I wouldn't own another Invicta watch if they gave it to me. They are JUNK

scarpozzi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scarpozzi

Back in the days of Bing Cash Back, I got an Invicta flight watch for 40% off from one of Amazon's startups. It was this one:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fashion-watches-shop.com/img/mens-force-flight-black-dial-black-stainless-steel-5271.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fashion-watches-shop.com/Invicta_Replica_Watches_598_p5.html&usg=__C4kg7sT17jJOcairR9f9s9WbDgQ=&h=392&w=274&sz=21&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=xpvAOZltChWU2M:&tbnh=162&tbnw=110&ei=USjyTZ3HKI2jtgennqyCBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dinvicta%2Bflight%2Bwatch%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D830%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=182&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:0&tx=67&ty=121

For $60, it was a decent deal. The watch itself looks good, but is very bulky and heavy. I prefer Seiko titaniums or other slim fitting watches...though the dial on the Invicta is very nice. My CIO saw it and complimented me on it...he's a huge watch buff.

kaolinboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaolinboss

I will not buy a watch you have to change the battery. Tired of giving the lady at the Mall $10.00 to change the battery every three months.I always buy solar-power Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Will pay for itself in ....well eventually. :>)

bop13

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bop13
sdc100 wrote:As a a watch collector, I must say that Invicta makes some of the ugliest watches. I know that well because I subscribe to ChronoShark and InvictaShark, which features several Invicta watches a day. They're all variants of that ugly tank-like design. Their subaqua series is especially ugly, but not as ugly as their Russian diver watches (with their oversized crowns). Where are the elegant minimalist designs or extra functionality?

Some people like these big tank watches. I cant wear a thin watch because the magnetism of my body makes them die within days. I've tried citizen and other popular expensive brands just to have them die in 3 days. I finally stuck with a big GUESS "tank watch". It has lasted four years now but this watch looks like a good replacement for dads day.

bjbyers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjbyers

I purchased a very similar Invicta watch a week ago from ShopNBC, and I absolutely love it. I purchased a Russian Diver model which was a little more money, but I think with Invicta you get a lot for your money.

gunslingerpc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gunslingerpc

Folks,
I have to come to Invicta's defense here. Invicta's problem lately is they are trying to play in all markets, which has created confusion about the quality of the brand as a whole. They do make cheaper watches in the $40-60 range meant to compete with watches from Guess and Fossil, and sadly those Invictas are very low quality, even when compared to those other two brands.
However, watches from the Subaqua, Signature, and Reserve collections are the complete opposite. Outstanding quality and an excellent value.

Before I speak to this watch specifically. I have to clarify some designations. The Swiss watch industry has very strict guidelines regarding the use of "Swiss" on watches. Here's how it works:
*If the watch says "Swiss" or "Swiss Mov't" or "Swiss Quartz", then by Swiss law, the movement must contain greater than 50% Swiss manufactured parts, and the entire movement has to have been assembled in Switzerland by a Swiss manufacturer, but the rest of the watch can come from anywhere.
*If the watch says "Swiss Made", as this Subaqua does, the ENTIRE watch, including the movement and case, must be manufactured and assembled in Switzerland using Swiss parts by a Swiss manufacturer.

This watch is a high-quality watch. As another poster pointed out, the movement is a Ronda Startech, an excellent Swiss quarts movement, a real workhorse. Not high dollar, but good quality. Sadly the crystal is mineral and not sapphire, but they wanted to keep the price low, and that was one way to do it.

I would also recommend any of the Invicta automatics because they use either Miyota (Citizen) movements, which are high quality Japanese movements (again, workhorses), or Swiss ETAs in the Reserve and COSC models, which is the same movement used in Omega and IWC, TIssot, and Tag automatics, plus many others.

The aesthetic of the Subaqua is not for everyone. But anyone who says "all Invictas are ugly" has not seen the entire line. They make some very classic designs. The Pro Divers look like Rolex Subs, and their Speedway collection look like Daytonas. The Steel collection is reminiscent of a Movado in it's simplicity.

This Subaqua is a serious watch. Yes, it's huge, but that's primarily due to the fact that the chronograph movement is large, and you have to have a very robust case to withstand 500m of pressure (200m MORE than a Rolex sub, btw).

I have three Invictas. One uses this exact movement and has a sapphire crystal. Another, an Ocean Ghost diver, uses a Miyota movement, and that thing runs like a champ, with a reserve of well over 24 hours. But my favorite is the model 9937 Pro Diver, which has the look, feel, and 90% of the quality of a Rolex Sub for less than 10% of the price. Swiss ETA movement, WR to 200m, solid stainless steel, sapphire crystal, screwdown crown and case, etc. Only things the Rolex has on it are screwed band links vs. pins, and the COSC certification. If you need that, then buy an Invicta model 4463.

bjbyers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjbyers
wootertasticeriffic wrote:Every time an Invicta watch goes up on Woot, I have to do my part and warn people about how terrible these watches are.

Like I mentioned last time, I've changed hundreds upon hundreds of watch batteries, and at least as many watch bands, and there is absolutely no contest, whatsoever. Invicta makes the absolute crappiest watches I've ever seen. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that 10 dollar Timex watches have better build quality.

You see, Invicta used to be a decent watch company, decades ago. Then it was purchased by another company and began being made in China. It looks, feels and works like it's made in China.

The split pins crumple and bend like they're made of tin, the crystal faces are flawed and very soft, the watch band links are poorly manufactured and don't sit squarely together, the spring pins that hold the band to the watch are weak and fail often.

Invicta does that bullsh*t marketing tactic of listing $600-700+ "MSRP" retail prices and "slashing" them down to 80-90 bucks to make them look like a deal.

In reality, they're 15 dollar watches made in China that are sold for 50-150 dollars. Doesn't matter that the movement is Swiss when it's put in a Chinese watch case that's literally made of garbage.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real watch. For this price range, as an earlier poster said, you can purchase a Seiko, Citizen or even some lower level Bulova watches. Spending $179 on an Invicta is just ridiculous.

Sorry, Woot, had to be done.

Your post interesting. I recently purchased an Invicta Russian Diver from shopnbc dot com (J400303) and love the look and feel. It's heavy and "feels" solid. From your experience is it just going to fall about with little wear? you mentioned burning through batteries but do you think these are junk out of the box or it will look nice for a while but then just not last?

corollary

quality posts: 1 Private Messages corollary

It's pretty well known that Invicta uses knockoff movements. There's nothing about this watch that makes it worth $180.

Normally, I buy watches with decent movements and look nice. Don't get me wrong, I think Invicta has the style part down. Everything else is lacking.

Additionally the company has consistent quality issues, and repairs take longer than anything if some part of the watch quits on you. You can wait 90 days (or in my case, 109) to get your watch back.

Pazuzu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Pazuzu
gunslingerpc wrote:But my favorite is the model 9937 Pro Diver, which has the look, feel, and 90% of the quality of a Rolex Sub for less than 10% of the price. Swiss ETA movement, WR to 200m, solid stainless steel, sapphire crystal, screwdown crown and case, etc. Only things the Rolex has on it are screwed band links vs. pins, and the COSC certification. If you need that, then buy an Invicta model 4463.

I'm wearing my "junk" 9937 right now. It gains 6 seconds a day, and looks like a million bucks. Damned that junky Invicta brand, all they make is overpriced, too big, ugly, Flava Flav style junk, huh?

Actually, my favorite Invicta that I have is the 4722, a style that is rarely seen but turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous watch with an interesting movement (a gussied up Swiss built Seagull replica...) and a magnifier that would give a Rolex an inferiority complex.

banethejuggalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banethejuggalo

I've had the Invicta Russian Diver for over 2 years now and I have had absolutely zero issues. The quality seems very good and it has Swiss Movement just like this one.
They are huge and attract a lot of attention and compliments. Even though they are large the band size is not, I am 6'1" and 200lbs and I am on the 2nd largest notch.
People who keep saying "I'd rather have a Omega, Rolex, etc." go ahead but these are good quality watches for a fraction of the price.

jspaziante

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jspaziante

This is perfect for impersonating a Navy Seal. Add this watch and a fake purple heart to your wardrobe and you'll never buy another drink again.

"Yeah, I was in Afghanistan in May 2011... but we're not allowed to talk about it".

reluctant

quality posts: 9 Private Messages reluctant
Sokudoningyou wrote:I just wish I could find a watch that has the actual name of the day, plus the number of the month. It's gotten impossible to find them unless I want to spend a fortune, and almost none that are women's.

Orient makes several watches that fit your day/date/time requirement. I can't remember if they make any for women, but the smallest men's watch is quite small. A friend had to borrow a watch when she was traveling, and I lent her my watch. She's of a slighter build, but had no qualms about the watch's size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EWEQAI

bop13 wrote:I cant wear a thin watch because the magnetism of my body makes them die within days.

.... uh.....? Is your real world name Erik Lehnsherr?

markinaustin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages markinaustin

I've had the watch for about a year and I love it. I'm 6'3" and ~200lbs and it's still pretty big on my wrist but it's a style thing. I can't wear it with longsleeve button-downs very easily but it's great for short sleeved shirts. I really do enjoy it, and I always feel safe wearing it. It doubles as one heckuva backhand weapon
I get lots of compliments (and even more comments) on it. I have (2) Invicta watches and both have been superb.

Oh, and I paid this exact price at Costco (online) about a year ago. It's also for sale in my local warehouse right now for this same price so it's a good deal but not incredible.

detroitmalujoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages detroitmalujoe
wootertasticeriffic wrote:Every time an Invicta watch goes up on Woot, I have to do my part and warn people about how terrible these watches are.

Like I mentioned last time, I've changed hundreds upon hundreds of watch batteries, and at least as many watch bands, and there is absolutely no contest, whatsoever. Invicta makes the absolute crappiest watches I've ever seen. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that 10 dollar Timex watches have better build quality.

You see, Invicta used to be a decent watch company, decades ago. Then it was purchased by another company and began being made in China. It looks, feels and works like it's made in China.

The split pins crumple and bend like they're made of tin, the crystal faces are flawed and very soft, the watch band links are poorly manufactured and don't sit squarely together, the spring pins that hold the band to the watch are weak and fail often.

Invicta does that bullsh*t marketing tactic of listing $600-700+ "MSRP" retail prices and "slashing" them down to 80-90 bucks to make them look like a deal.

In reality, they're 15 dollar watches made in China that are sold for 50-150 dollars. Doesn't matter that the movement is Swiss when it's put in a Chinese watch case that's literally made of garbage.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real watch. For this price range, as an earlier poster said, you can purchase a Seiko, Citizen or even some lower level Bulova watches. Spending $179 on an Invicta is just ridiculous.

Sorry, Woot, had to be done.

I agree 100% with this guy. I am better off buying a watch from FOSSIL in the $65-$125 range with incredible selection and better quality. Invicta watches are just like the ones in Motor Trend and Road & Track magazines. Was $700! Can be yours now for $149 (But hey we produced it in China for $15 mwahahaha).

tonyeye

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tonyeye
hoonyer wrote:Not much into Invicta's. If you put up a Omega or Rolex, I'll take some of those.

You can leave it for us po'folk, Todd.

And what's with the gratuitous use of the apostrophe? Back to Harvard with you.

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
EdTerrific wrote:Hmmmm...I could pay $179 for a watch....or $169 for an Apple Touch....I wonder if I could get an app that simulates an Invicta Men's Subaqua Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch??

Does anyone under the age of 40 wear a watch?? When will Apple come out with an iWatch?? You know, you could run different apps to simulate different watches....

47 and I don't wear a watch. I own 5 or 6 but have never regularly worn one. My computer screen tells me the time and when I am away, my phone does.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

$70
New: Swiss Legend Men's Eograph Chronograph Watch for $70 + free shipping
Today only, World of Watches offers the Swiss Legend Men's Eograph Chronograph Watch, model no. 30041-02S, for $69.99. With free shipping, that's the lowest total price we could find by $39. It features a stainless steel case, black rubber strap, Swiss quartz chronograph movement, three subdials, date display, water resistance to 330 feet, and more

extremusmaximus

quality posts: 14 Private Messages extremusmaximus

I recommend a real diver's watch - Citizen. For a measly $260, I purchased an Aqualand Duplex Aqua Diver in stainless from a SCUBA diving outlet almost 20 years ago (back when they had paper catalogs) and the only aspect of maintenance is having the batteries changed every 5 years - depending on how much you use the alarm, and I have replacing the rubber wrist strap once. As I have a cell phone and computer around me all the time these days, I don't even wear it anymore. Time for ebay!

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza

A good looking crappy invicta watch for $17.99 mmmmh doesn't seem like a bad deal.... uh.. WAIT A MINUTE !!! WHAT ?!?!

ccweems

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ccweems

Available at Costco for less. They give a 2 year warranty to boot. Typically Woot has the lowest price but I notice a tendency for Woot to be above warehouse club prices. Now that they have been acquired does this mean that they they have been assimilated into the Borg?

Prime Suspect

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Prime Suspect

Well, if my self-esteem ever gets so low that I need a butt-ugly watch that screams "Hey, everybody, look at me!", I now know what to buy.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
mnuahs wrote:I've never thought too much of Invicta,

+1

tigerdave99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigerdave99

Just so happens that I'm wearing my Invicta Subaqua Noma IV (model 6560) today. Love it!

I am well aware that some lower-end models are not Swiss made, and I'd probably avoid those.

My fiancee just got an Invicta 0299 pink ceramic yesterday. It's pretty nice.

curtisl42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtisl42

I own a number of Invictas and have only ever had a problem with one. Some of their styles are over the top (okay, way over), but they're definitely not all "ugly" as someone else said. They're not all "junk" either. And btw, not all of us can afford a Rolex or Omega.

I bought one like this, but with the stainless steel band, a while ago but never wore it. Wound up selling it when money got tight. It is a big, heavy watch.

Personally, I prefer the three hand watches. Chronograph dials generally look cluttered to me, and I never use the timing functions anyway.

thesuppishwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesuppishwoot
EdTerrific wrote:Hmmmm...I could pay $179 for a watch....or $169 for an Apple Touch....I wonder if I could get an app that simulates an Invicta Men's Subaqua Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch??

Does anyone under the age of 40 wear a watch?? When will Apple come out with an iWatch?? You know, you could run different apps to simulate different watches....

They have one. You get an iPod Nano (whatever generation the new one is...lol) and then you look online for the iPod Nano watch straps. Basically a watch with multi-touch features and apps.

Just to add my two cents, watches are essentially just arm candy anymore. They're archaic, AFAIC. The only reason I see watches being a necessity is if you're in a wilderness environment/survival situation like Castaway (which, if you were in, I'd suggest a watch with wind-up, Citizen Eco-drive, etc..., not a freaking battery), or if you're trying to show off. "Look at my arm, I have a Rolex. You jealous yet??" "No, because my phone updates automatically when I switch timezones."

=P

sfoust66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfoust66
bsthomps wrote:I believe Costco carries the same model at their warehouses (in Arizona for sure) and it is the same price or cheaper.

I just saw this watch in a Costco in Tucson for about the same price ($175 - 180) so this is a decent deal if you don't have a Costco membership.

zachj589

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachj589
sdc100 wrote:As a a watch collector, I must say that Invicta makes some of the ugliest watches. I know that well because I subscribe to ChronoShark and InvictaShark, which features several Invicta watches a day. They're all variants of that ugly tank-like design. Their subaqua series is especially ugly, but not as ugly as their Russian diver watches (with their oversized crowns). Where are the elegant minimalist designs or extra functionality?

Skagen

hyperactive22001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyperactive22001

very nice but i'll just ask someone - thanks

dalem589

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalem589

Long time Invicta buyer with too many to admit to having! Great watches, value and American company. This price is an extreme value. This style of watch is BIG, BOLD and very expensive looking. You will not regret buying an Invicta at any price level

cforzetting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cforzetting

I've got big wrists and have a lot of trouble getting a watch that fits. How is the strap on this?

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
EdTerrific wrote:

Apple doesn't need to, this guy started a company for it on Kickstarter (and raised almost $1 MILLION before the deadline hit):

http://lunatik.com/

psychomuse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychomuse
theguruguys wrote:I don't think I've worn a watch since middle school when I thought I was cool by sporting one of these:

You WERE cool and would be even cooler now if you had this strapped on your wrist! Total geek awesomeness!!!

dankester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dankester

For almost $200 this watch should be an automatic. No need to spend this much on a quartz.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
dalem589 wrote:Long time Invicta buyer with too many to admit to having! Great watches, value and American company. This price is an extreme value. This style of watch is BIG, BOLD and very expensive looking. You will not regret buying an Invicta at any price level

You must work for invicta or use drugs to make that statement.

ebender1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ebender1

pics of this watch on the woot! website are Sirius GPP. There is not even a straight-on picture of the watch face.

Is this a funnel to get people to go to Amazon to see it better?

Improviz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Improviz

Who needs multiple watches?

"Investment quality"? What, like when the next economic downturn happens, you're going to live off your "wristwatch investments" ?

LOL.

I have a Casio G-Shock that has run for 7 years on the same battery. Indestructible, all the features I need. I race sailboats with it, and wear it as an every day watch. It cost me $35 at Target.

Get over yourselves, hahaah....