3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

elesjuan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elesjuan

Own one. Not worth buying.

Believe it has Android 1.6, slow processor, doesn't take new updates very well. Save your money.

Forgot to mention:

TOUCH SCREEN SUCKS!!

Uses a resistive touch, NOT capactive!

wclements

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wclements

Android 1.6?

Oh brother...

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

xxheroinxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxheroinxx

Right on price with this one.

fischju

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fischju

Anybody who buys this tablet needs this site: http://forum.archosfans.com/

peterwu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages peterwu

Can this be Vegan rooted ?

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Capacitive or Resistive screen? makes ALL the difference!

mrfox2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrfox2

Mixed reviews at cnet.com

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/archos-7-home-tablet/4852-3126_7-34093843.html?tag=priceSummary;summaryRatings

The price is good, however! The range on cnet was from around $100-140.

thetateman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages thetateman

Definitely not the best thing on the market right now but with this price it is a cheap alternative to an ipad or xoom or any of the other tablets out now. One plus side is that it has 720p resolution so it works well for watching movies.

cisengineer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cisengineer

Compare this to the Sony Dash I just bought (for less). Go.

minocc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minocc

not the greatest tablet out there, but if you just want something to do some light internet browsing, or reading on, it works nicely. it will not do flash, so YouTube doesn't work on it, and it cannot use either the android marketplace or the amazon app market. the app market it has access to is limited, but has apps that work on the tablet.

i24u

quality posts: 17 Private Messages i24u

ok what is the main difference between this one and the one over at 1saleaday.

vicmacs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vicmacs

not if it were free!, well if it were free id give it to you, dont want my life touched by these!

stolly23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stolly23

Can you root a new rom on this.

keiichi626

quality posts: 7 Private Messages keiichi626

Engadget Review

Amazon linky (3.5 stars)

Resistive touchscreen, and Android 1.6...

fischju

Be aware: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/archos-intros-80-gb-and-101-g9-android-3-1-tablets-1-5ghz-cpu/

Archos announced new tablets, dual core CPU, Android 3.1, starting at $279. It's a hell of a lot more expensive, the 7 would be a good PMP at this price point, but if you want a tablet comparable to the Xoom, get one of their new line.

clarkbhm

quality posts: 19 Private Messages clarkbhm

This says "extendable via micro SDHC Slot". How extendable is it? Does anyone know what the maximum size it will support?

newjerseymax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newjerseymax

Wow this is a new low....

This is the equivalent of buying a Atari from the 80's....

KKlare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KKlare

Dish DVRs used to be able to download to an Archos tablet. Is this one such a one?
-Ken

keiichi626

quality posts: 7 Private Messages keiichi626

Oh, and no accelerometer.

amatador

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amatador

Can this be upgraded to a different version of Android?

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

Umm, how can you watch 720p video on a screen that's only got 480 lines?

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all! I couldn't even keep up with it - this list hasn't been updated in years!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth
cisengineer wrote:Compare this to the Sony Dash I just bought (for less). Go.

Stop. Sony dash is not a tablet. Comparing apples and cucumbers.

fischju

stolly23 wrote:Can you root a new rom on this.

According to this thread: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=49646&start=0 and the board for it, that's a yes

cisengineer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cisengineer
MWPollard wrote:Umm, how can you watch 720p video on a screen that's only got 480 lines?

Probably the same way the Blu-ray player works just fine with your mom's CRT TV.

schopra04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schopra04

Anyone know if you can run Control4 app on this? thanks in advance.

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100

A friend needs a tablet that plays RealMedia because that's the CODEC of choice in Asia. The description sez:
"Video Playback: Realvideo™ up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 2.5 Mbps
With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: .avi, .mp4, .mkv, .mov, and .flv"

That doesn't make sense since the RealMedia CODEC is only used by files with RM/RMVB extensions. Does anyone have any more info on this? Thanks

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998

Warning Will Robinson, Warning.

Avoid this like at all cost.

I have one and it is a complete and utter waste of money.

Major headaches, it locks up all the time... it is slow... the touch screen feels bad... Oh did I mention that in order to play the MKV and any 720p videos that you need to purchase an additional plug-in from Archos? Did I mention that the first one I had crapped out and had to be returned to Archos? Did I mention that after 4 attempts to get it fixed they only made good on the product when I contacted the better business bureau? Did I mention the multiple dead pixels on the screen? Did I mention that mine is currently collecting dust in a draw while my Ipad is getting constant use?

Please don't get sucked in by this one, it would only be worth it if it was free.

tankueray

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tankueray
newjerseymax wrote:Wow this is a new low....

This is the equivalent of buying a Atari from the 80's....

I would buy an Atari 2600 in a heartbeat. And sell my first born for the game "Adventure."

Think this thing could emulate it?

jacvoyt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jacvoyt

I have an Archos 5 (500gb) and I love it. This is a very similar device but it lacks two things: No Gps and no dock connection. Also, it runs Android 1.6 like the Archos 5. There is no perfect Android upgrade for this yet but there are a few people working on it. Hopefully one day we'll have Froyo or honeycomb but don't expect it soon.

derspiess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derspiess

I bought one of these a few months ago & returned it. You're stuck with Android 1.6 which is quite dated. That plus the resistive touchscreen and no usb charging soured my experience with it. Performance tended to be a bit sluggish as well.

Were I not spoiled by my EVO 4G running Android 2.2 I might have kept it. Three years ago this may have been an awesome device. It might still have value as a single purpose device (video player or light web browsing?) I think there is a way to get Google apps to run on it but you're stuck with Android 1.6 so app choices are a bit limited.

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds
bpeterson82 wrote:Capacitive or Resistive screen? makes ALL the difference!

+1
Resistive devices are only good for toddlers and pets!

jwdevine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwdevine

I went through 5 RMA's with my last Archos product, they're crap.

sirnasty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirnasty
bpeterson82 wrote:Capacitive or Resistive screen? makes ALL the difference!

Resistive Screen (requires force full pressure, not just a finger tap), Android 1.6? (1.5? No Flash, ever), Archos Market apps (Limited app market) not Android Market, 800x400 Resolution, No Netflix ...

I stumbled across this tablet a while back but it's OS, Low Resolution and Resistive screen made it a no go for me

fischju

Some more info: http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Archos_7_Home_Tablet

This Woot product may be version 2, which means you CAN GET A CUSTOM ROM WITH ANDROID 2.2. http://forum.archosfans.com/viewforum.php?f=81

If not, you still have some options
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewforum.php?f=59

philey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philey
cisengineer wrote:Compare this to the Sony Dash I just bought (for less). Go.

Okay, the Dash needs to stay plugged in. This has a battery.

MElworth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MElworth
thomas998 wrote:Warning Will Robinson, Warning.

Avoid this like at all cost.

I have one and it is a complete and utter waste of money.

Major headaches, it locks up all the time... it is slow... the touch screen feels bad... Oh did I mention that in order to play the MKV and any 720p videos that you need to purchase an additional plug-in from Archos? Did I mention that the first one I had crapped out and had to be returned to Archos? Did I mention that after 4 attempts to get it fixed they only made good on the product when I contacted the better business bureau? Did I mention the multiple dead pixels on the screen? Did I mention that mine is currently collecting dust in a draw while my Ipad is getting constant use?

Please don't get sucked in by this one, it would only be worth it if it was free.

I agree. I bought this for myself. It frozed up a number of times. I had to use the reset button. The resistive screen is hard to navigate with and while the one I bought had Android 2.1, it wasn't much of an improvement. As for Archos quality and service, it is hit or miss. I have an Archos 605 which still works but I had an Archos 5 that had issues, it took me countless calls to get updates on when it would be repaired even while it was under warranty. I finally got it back 3 months later. Archos usually does 1 or 2 firmware updates then that is it. Also, this unit has a poor Wi-Fi antennae and will get hot.

TSOG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG

The specs are missing what processor in in this? speed?