KyleABrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KyleABrown

I just went through this. The old Genie GDO (1/2hp screw drive) failed. Original install was 1997. Replaced with Chamberline 1/2 belt drive sourced from Home Depot - same price basically, after taxes, shipping. Chamberline included a remote wall plug unit so you could turn a light on inside the house as well.

I installed the original Genie, and the Chamberline took longer. The Genie took me 2-4 hours, as i recall, the Chamberline took about 2hrs to assemble (I went slowly and double checked everything). It took an additional couple hours to get the old GDO down, and a couple more to get the new one back up. I was working alone, and was very careful, and in no rush. An experienced or impatient person could do this considerably faster. A second set of hands would cut the installation by more than half.

Side note, the Genie had screw-in wall mount adapters for the seeing-eye dealies, Chamberline has a nifty pop-on-the-GD-rail system, with hardware for a wall mount if needed.

Performance-wise, the Chamberline is substantially quieter, possibly slightly faster. My hope is that when it eventually fails it will be the belt that goes and i can replace this more easily than the worm gear that failed on the Genie. Best friend alsy has a belt drive, his suspicion is that the top mount gear that drives the belt will deflect over time causing sagging in the belt leading to failure. We shall see.

buddapank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buddapank
tesla33 wrote:Screw drives are better than belt or chain drives, although they now tend to feature a plastic screw gear that mangles and breaks easily. So I guess this isn't terrible.

I am one of the largest dealers in the US. Screw drives are not the bet. Belt drives are and most belt drives carry a lifetime warranty on the belt against breakage. Stay away from the Genie brand. You will regret it. Stick with Liftmaster.

fazeshift

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fazeshift
mh2s wrote:Will this open double size garage doors?

The Genie 2040L-CT 1/2HP Belt-Drive I bought in 2009 from Woot has no issues with my double-wide door. So long as your door and spring system are well-balanced, any opener should be fine.

martam98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martam98
imsochady wrote:It'd be cool if they have something like this for normal doors! lols

i'm a paramedic and just saw one last recently at a run we made. the lady was wheelchair bound and couldn't extend her arms all the way, so she had a one button remote that unlocked her front door and activated an articulating arm to open/close it. it was pretty cool.

bodi4d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bodi4d
pneumanon wrote:Edit: Oh, I guess I was looking at the wrong manual (2040, not 2042). No mention of one-piece doors in the 2022/2024/2042 manual. No idea why it wouldn't work, but that's kind of sad.

The cover page of the 2042 Owner's Manual clearly states; For use only with sectional doors.

AND, page 5 of the manual states in BOLD:

NOTE: This opener is designed for use with SECTIONAL doors only.

Probably won't be selling many of these in Cali?

shortymcsmalls

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shortymcsmalls
buddapank wrote:I am one of the largest dealers in the US. Screw drives are not the bet. Belt drives are and most belt drives carry a lifetime warranty on the belt against breakage. Stay away from the Genie brand. You will regret it. Stick with Liftmaster.

Amen.

lazloH

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lazloH
bruxxus wrote:I'm going to get this for my room... Instead of attaching it to a garage door I'm going to attack it to a flat screen TV mount. When I push the button my TV will go from the wall in front of my to above my bed on the ceiling! :oP

"Local man crushed by 42 inch plasma screen TV last night. Authorities say he had built this contraption so that the next time "Hannah Montanna" came on TV he could crush himself instead of bear another song. Phillips, Woot, and whoever makes this garage door opener have declined to comment"

forevrgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forevrgreen

I can't find the forum for the selloutwoot, Clamplight by Black and Decker, because I have question about that item...can you add more to the order after placing order for just one, WITHOUT getting another shipping cost?

shover

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shover

I bought a Chamberlain opener with a battery backup after my opener quit working.

This was inspired after getting locked out of my house during a power outage. The front door had a storm door that was locked, I cannot find the key for that or for the sliding door in the back of the house. Luckily when it did quit someone was home that could pull the cord to
disengage the door from the opener.

This has saved me at least twice now during a power outage from storms

buddapank

I thought I could finally use my expertise for something good!! Here is the way I see it.

Genie is a mixed bag when it comes to quality. You can have a unit that lasts 20+ years and then one that lasts less than a year. Quality is all over the place with this company. I guess you can say that about any manufacturer, but it seems more bad then good with these guys. Customer service also seems to be a negative experience. The good news is that the unit is assembled in the USA, but that does not mean that all parts are manufactured here. Also, just like any other brand, Genie has low end and high end. I would stay away from their low end at all costs. Their low end is really low end.

Chain vs. Belt vs. Screw

Chain's Pro's: Very long life, Affordable
Chain's Con's: Not very quiet and requires maintenance

Belt Pro's: Very Quiet, Almost Maintenance Free, Most have lifetime warranties
Belt Con's: A little pricier

Screw Pro's: Very affordable, quiet (At the beginning)
Screw Con's: Short lifespan, They can get loud over time if screw ever gets out of round, Requires maintenance

I am not a big fan of the screw drive mainly due to the stuff listed above, but also due to the screw driver coupler that will fail. It isn't the easiest thing to change for a novice.

What you can expect in terms of maintenance required and parts that will fail:

No matter you choose chain or belt, they both have plastic gears and cheap sprockets. When one breaks, you should change out the entire gear sprocket assembly kit. They aren't always the easiest to change depending on the brand, make, and model. The good news is that once these are changed out, you basically have a perfectly working unit that lasts for a long time.

In terms of maintenance, whether you have a belt or a chain, you should always lubricate the unit. I would suggest a couple of times a year if you can remember.

Genie vs. Liftmaster....

I love this debate. If there was one thing that would keep me away from the Genie product is the sensors. They have long brackets that attach to the wall and not the track. These brackets are very flimsy and have a tendency to move around a lot and knocking sensors out of alignment. Liftmaster has sensors with special brackets that attach directly to the track and are a lot harder to knock out of alignment.

Another issue with the Genie product is it is made of mostly plastic. They have tendency to dry rot. When I say plastic, I mean the trolly, the unit assembly, just about everything, whereas the LIftmaster units are mostly metal.

I always suggest sticking with the reliable and proven Liftmaster brand. Also, if you can wait a month or so, LIftmaster is about to release all new models which will have iphone controlled functionality included in their Estate series motors. If you look a the following website, I would suggest any of these.

3585 - 3/4 Motor
3850 - 3/4 Motor with Battery Backup
3280 - Standard 1/2 HP Belt Drive Motor

http://www.acadianagaragedoors.com/residential-garage-operators/

These guys also have a pretty decent blog for general information:

http://www.acadianagaragedoors.com/garage-doors-blog/

cocacola08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocacola08

This couldn't be better timing. Closing on house this week, with no opener in garage.

Thanks Woot! In for 1!

B­­OC(s) (02/15/08, 09/24/08, 10/23/08, 10/28/09, 11/19/09, 04/28/10, 5/26/10, 9/22/10, 10/12/11, 12/25/11, 01/19/12)

ailuj820

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ailuj820

Nabbed it! My current CHI model isn't compatible with any universal remote, so I've been trudging in and out of the car to open the garage door since I bought the place. Viva laziness!

wolfedc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wolfedc
tesla33 wrote:Screw drives are better than belt or chain drives, although they now tend to feature a plastic screw gear that mangles and breaks easily. So I guess this isn't terrible.

I disagre I Have a belt drive that I bought from Woot in 2009 and a screw drive that I bought at the same time. The belt one is much smoother And quieter. I guess time will tell which one will last the longest

almostdread

quality posts: 1 Private Messages almostdread
iamryandean wrote:Looks like a chain in the picture to me.

Actually, looks like a belt with teeth?

Ask4Fish

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ask4Fish
mh2s wrote:Will this open double size garage doors?

I use the chain version of this opener on our 7'x16' garage door. Our door has no windows and is quite solid. The opener is very quiet (even the chain version) but is slower than the opener it replaced. It took me about an hour or so to swap them out with the help of my 16 year old son.

Ask4Fish

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ask4Fish
CarsonAg01 wrote:A garage door opener? You've got to be kidding me. Since Amazon acquired woot!, the product offerings have plummeted, imho.

Yeah! We're only interested in stuff a 25 year old living in his parents basement can use!

jamesfparks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jamesfparks

This operates in the 390 Mhz range which is the same frequency the Department of Defense now uses for their Land Mobile Radio (hip brick radios) deployments. It used to be an unlicensed frequency and used frequently by garage door manufacturers but is now reserved by DoD. When Dod started deploying their systems, they received complaints by garage door openers (those who could figure out where the problem was coming from). Since DoD didn't want to replace everyone's opener, they took the position that it's the door owner's problem. This is documented in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Mobile_Radio_System
and elsewhere
http://www.wa8pyr.net/base-radio-frequency-may-interfere-with-garage-door-openers/

If you live anywhere near (18 miles) a military base, this opener is NOT a good idea for you.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

I've never understood why people want their garage door opener to be whisper quite. WHO CARES?? It's up or down in 4 seconds and none of them are really that loud anyway. I'll take a louder 4 second opener versus a quiet 20 second opener any day of the week.

gerby1976

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerby1976

Like others, I bought this in Nov 2009 (I think). At least that's when I got it installed. I think mine is also a 1/2 HP.

Installation is not fun. Several sizes of screws causes you to look in several piles. It took my dad, my wife, and me three times to get it right. Total time: ~12 man hours?

That said, it's been faithfully working for 1.5 years -- with a heavy garage door. I don't have enough "pull" on my springs and the opener has been letting me know it (sounding kinda rough). So I need to buy new springs (or hire a pro), but nothing has broken on the Genie.......yet.

I'd say it's worth taking a chance on purchasing.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645
firebirdude wrote:I've never understood why people want their garage door opener to be whisper quite. WHO CARES?? It's up or down in 4 seconds and none of them are really that loud anyway. I'll take a louder 4 second opener versus a quiet 20 second opener any day of the week.

people who have bedrooms/living spaces right over their garages will disagree with you.

gerby1976

I don't know if this is common, but...

I live within SIGHT of a channel 5 (HDTV) transmitter (I think other frequencies too), and that is my biggest complaint with this opener -- that the transmitters are not powerful enough. We often have to pull right up to the door to get it to open.

It might not matter which opener we purchase, though. Just FYI.

gerby1976

dh4645 wrote:people who have bedrooms/living spaces right over their garages will disagree with you.

I've heard loud garage doors and openers. I much prefer quieter -- especially if I don't have to pay extra and it's similar quality.

JRuegg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JRuegg
firebirdude wrote:I've never understood why people want their garage door opener to be whisper quite. WHO CARES?? It's up or down in 4 seconds and none of them are really that loud anyway. I'll take a louder 4 second opener versus a quiet 20 second opener any day of the week.

If your wife left for work early in the morning and often woke up your toddlers two hours early with a loud garage door opener, then you would care my friend. You would very much care.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645
gerby1976 wrote:I've heard loud garage doors and openers. I much prefer quieter -- especially if I don't have to pay extra and it's similar quality.

agree, we have a chain one now that needs replaced, so i got this. it's so loud. and it's so old it doesnt even have the eye sensors.

JRuegg wrote:If your wife left for work early in the morning and often woke up your toddlers two hours early with a loud garage door opener, then you would care my friend. You would very much care.

hah, nice

hola2amigos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hola2amigos

Will this work for all types of garages? I have a 2 and 1/2 car garage, and 1 door.

kyotsuba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyotsuba

I've been told that the "Genie" brand garage door openers SUCK. That they constantly break down, and there's no support to have the installers fix them. They're so bad, that vendors for garage doors don't even recommend buying them!

bonnerdg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonnerdg

in for one! priced new openers just last week to replace our 30 year old Genie that recently passed away, this one was $199 at Sears.

Thanks Woot for the $55 in my pocket, and for dropping the opener off at my front door.

You know I am not sad or angry when Woot doesn't have someting I want, but am really happy when they do!

theatrain218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theatrain218
anyboatyourow wrote:So... I guess you're kind of in the market for this or you're not.

Sometimes Woot can convince me it's time to upgrade my computer or maybe my vacuum.
But I'm not honestly thinking, "Man, I've been meaning to replace that apparently fine garage door opener."

Should I just play it safe and have a new one on hand for that fateful day when I hit the button and nothing happens?

Seems like a bit of overkill just to save $50 bucks by letting the warranty expire sitting in a box on the off chance you need it. Ever heard of the TV show "Hoarders"?

DWidhalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DWidhalm

Does this come with the track?

buddapank

kyotsuba wrote:I've been told that the "Genie" brand garage door openers SUCK. That they constantly break down, and there's no support to have the installers fix them. They're so bad, that vendors for garage doors don't even recommend buying them!

I am a vendor and our motto is "anything but Genie".

homersmrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homersmrt

When you have loved ones who are still sleeping when you leave for work in the early morning - it's nice, believe me.

Don M Jackson

alateef99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alateef99
gerby1976 wrote:I don't know if this is common, but...

I live within SIGHT of a channel 5 (HDTV) transmitter (I think other frequencies too), and that is my biggest complaint with this opener -- that the transmitters are not powerful enough. We often have to pull right up to the door to get it to open.

It might not matter which opener we purchase, though. Just FYI.

I have the identical problem, sometimes can open from 2 blocks away, sometimes have to be right in front of garage, never considered the transmission tower nearby to be factor. Wonder if any other more knowledgeable wooter can shed light on this? More concerning is that our garage door sometimes opens all by itself, we live in central Jersey (a problem in itself I concede)but not terribly near any military installations (Macguire is more than 20 miles away I believe). Weird.

crackers8199

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crackers8199
davewilhite wrote:I changed a couple of these out with a friend at his house. neither of us had done it before. We were done in a couple of hours. It is especially easy if one is already in place, as it could be a bit more challenging if you have to set up mounting brackets for the motor and such.
The ones that we did were chain driven.

you replaced chain drive with these? and it was easy? i've got a chain drive that's very limited in features (no keypad, no ability to just use the light without opening the door, etc) that i've been thinking about switching out, so i'm very much considering this one...

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

As a teenager, I very much appreciated our loud garage door opener (it made the whole house rumble). It alerted me that mom was home and gave me a good 20-30 second window in which to stash the evidence of my misdeeds. And because it was not just noisy, but rumbled the whole house, it was an effective early warning system even when I had the music cranked - which of course I usually did while engaging in said misdeeds.

AmishGramish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AmishGramish

I got one of these for Christmas and finally put it up before I left for LA in June. It's very, very slow, (others say it isn't "too" slow, but I'd rather sacrifice audio quality for some speed!) but at least it gets the job done.

I just hope that it will last as long as the last one that was installed in the garage. (I don't know how old it was, but it was old!)

(no logo) Downloads - MP3 and FLAC Download Store
http://www.nologogroup.com

entity447

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entity447
jeffiekins wrote:Like having many wives sequentially, 1-piece garage doors are considered "traditional" in California and bordering states, thanks to the Martin Door Co. Elsewhere, they are called "California doors," and sectional doors are considered normal.

That's why I called it a traditional door...

jonanner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonanner

It's good for getting your lover out of the house quickly when the SO comes home unexpectedly. :D

poorguy39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poorguy39
theatrain218 wrote:Seems like a bit of overkill just to save $50 bucks by letting the warranty expire sitting in a box on the off chance you need it. Ever heard of the TV show "Hoarders"?

I'm on hoard for one.

vangoghrentals

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vangoghrentals

I have 2 garage doors. I just bought 2 garage door openers. Will that cause an issue? Will I need to carry 2 remote controls or will one work for both?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chuckz1487 wrote:i live on the 5th floor of a 25 story building with no garage.... but im still gonna get it to piss off my neighbor who wont sleep with me

you should totally install this on THEIR door. that might be a little creepy though

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)