kschang

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kschang
lava9611 wrote:That is one negative I found out of the box. But, it depends on how you use it. If you are not going to be laying it on a flat surface to type using your thumbs on the standard keyboard doesn't work very well (for me at least).

But, because this is Android, I found an app to replace the standard keyboard that I absolutely love called Thumb Keyboard. In addition to replacing the existing keyboard, it allows you to store frequent used words (think usernames and email addresses for instance). It is what the stock Honeycomb keyboard should be (IMHO).

BTW, great question! It is one I wish I would have asked before I bought a tablet.

Ditto the recommendation on Thumb Keyboard. You can hold the lower corners of each. The keyboard can be used "split" to give you maximum screen real-estate.

I reviewed most of the soft keyboards available. For tablets, Thumb Keyboard is brilliant.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Android-Softkeyboard-Shootout-which-input-method-should-you-use

kschang

robotbetty9 wrote:Does it run Flash?

Yes.

jmblock2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmblock2

Very tempting! I'm going to have to pass and hope for an even better deal in 2 months when I'll have to commute on the bus for an hour a day.

kschang

PeterCapek wrote:I'm convinced about Flash, I guess, but can anyone confirm from experience that this will play TED talks?

Even if it doesn't, there are like half-dozen TED apps. One of them will even let you pick the alternative subtitles. (I've tried 3-4 of them on my OG Droid)

Nubby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nubby

Anyone looking to watch Netflix from their Xoom need only search for an application called SplashTop Remote Desktop HD

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.splashtop.remote.pad

This also allows Hulu, HBO Go and anything else you can run on your desktop or laptop computer.

Welcome to the suck.

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar
AZScott wrote:Everything?

Yes, everything.
Because flash runs on HTML5.

Right? Isn't that how it works?

rydin5pinna5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rydin5pinna5

Anyone here order a tablet off Woot and knows how long shipping takes?

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar
ampootwibbit wrote:Hi. Almost all android apps are written in java.

Not exactly. The library is different (subset) and screen building is totally different. You can't just take a java app and run it on an Android.

southpaw208

quality posts: 0 Private Messages southpaw208

It just came out, how is it that refurbs are available?

Froggz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Froggz

No NETFLIX. Enough said.

uncleop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uncleop
Wholesaleforless wrote:Is there an app out there that lets you run Java applications on this (or any Android) unit?

I have heard conflicting information (but most of it says no).

Don't seem to be too many options out there if you want a tablet capable of running Java.

Android was made for Java. It's Google's preferred language, at least for now.

Thus speaks an Android developer who finds it pretty easy to write for.

edit: Note that you cannot generally run just any old Java app. The UI and process model of the Android world is just not the same as most JavaME environments, because it's closer to (but not quite) JavaSE. And this is why Oracle is having patent/licensing fits about Android when it's running on a mobile device.

trinity343

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinity343

i would get this bc this is a great deal for it. however, i'm waiting until October for the next better tablet to come out.

at that time the Asus Transformer 2 will be released and it'll be running on a Quad-core processor instead of just the dual-core that the xoom or the transformer is now running on...so patience will have to win out on this one

vikter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vikter
ArizonaGuy wrote:True, but for $80 more I'd go for the 32GB Transformer and consider the keyboard dock too. Wouldn't need my netbook anymore.

But I think I'm holding out for the first crop of tablets to ship with Ice Cream anyway.

Seriously?? spend another $80 plus another $150 on top of that for the keyboard?? for crying out loud dude, just get a freakin laptop then and still pay less. i've owned the transformer. its really no better than any of the other popular android tablets out there. plus the color on it sucks.

masroorj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masroorj
MichaelSF wrote:As some of you know, I am very familiar with tablets, having had two articles on tablets published in magazines.

Bottom line on this tablet: Pass on it. There's better tablets on the market.

Here's what I recommend, both that I have (gave one to my sister):

The Acer Iconia A500 (32GB model $490 at CostCo).

The ASUS Transformer (32GB model $450 to $500).

The ACER has great specs, including great connectivity options, e.g., a microUSB port AND a full size USB 2.0 port (to which you can attach USB keyboards, mice, etc.)

The ASUS is kind of like the Lenovo hybrid that did not make it to the U.S. market last year.

The tablet can attach to the optional "dock" that converts the tablet into a netbook of sorts. (When the tablet is attached to the dock it looks like a netbook).

IMHO definitely pass on this Xoom.

I'm waiting to see the Thrive in action. At $499 for 32GB with full USB and SD card I believe it has the best specs in the market. This is a pretty sweet deal tho, would have been tempted if not for the GTab I was tempted into wooting a few months ago..

masroorj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masroorj

Double post, removed.

jquest71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jquest71

Got it. How you like me now?

wburleson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wburleson
masroorj wrote:I'm waiting to see the Thrive in action. At $499 for 32GB with full USB and SD card I believe it has the best specs in the market. This is a pretty sweet deal tho, would have been tempted if not for the GTab I was tempted into wooting a few months ago..

The Thrive 16GB is $479.00 and the 32GB is $599.00.

Bootes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Bootes
rcichocki wrote:I'm not a techie, but I enjoy using user-friendly items. My son is a Mac Fanboy, and has an Ipad1 as well as an Android phone thru Sprint.

I had been looking at the Asus Transformer, but the price point on this Xoom is very favorable since I'm an old fart who is retired. (IBM)

I need some opinions as to how difficult it will be so set up the Xoom to start initially. I have read where some have had some problems integrating their Xoom's onto their home networks. I wouldn't really want this problem but could probably work thru it.
I'm not worried about the amount of Apps that are available, as I will just use it for email, and Google docs for some occasional spreadsheets, etc.

Any comments/opinions are welcomed.

It's not as user friendly as iOS, but as long as you don't plan on doing anything too crazy you shouldn't run into the less user friendly parts.

A refurb iPad 1 from Apple is $349/429
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

schmuck18

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmuck18
Bootes wrote:The real problem is that the average quality of Android apps is much worse than iOS apps.

I would seriously challenge that. How many "flashlight" iOS apps are there?

Having both iOS (iTouch) and Android (Aria) devices, I find I keep more of the Android apps around. Where the iTouch ones are mostly "use and loose".

Granted this could be that most of the iOS apps I buy are either iOS only, or free; as anything available on both is usually cheaper/free from the Android Marketplace.

TimeOut4242

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TimeOut4242

Great tablet.... The WiFi version is getting Android 3.2 right now.... Great deal....

TimeOut4242

1. It does have Flash support 10.3

2. This is the Wifi-Only Tab; the 3G version was the one for the LTE/4G update.

3. Android 3.2 Honeycomb is rolling out as we speak to the WiFi units which enables the SD card.

This is truly a very good tablet and is at a good price. If you like to root your devices, you are set (No google Video rental if you root though).

MichaelSF wrote:I can tell you why there's refurbished Xooms, because a lot of people are returning them, like I did.

But unlike what people think, it's not because of defects (the Xoom is a nice device), it's because:

1) It does NOT have Adobe Flash support. That means it will NOT play video on websites (all sites now playing video in Adobe Flash format).

(From some posts in here, the updates do provide Flash support now, but even when I installed Honeycomb 3.1 my Xoom would not play flash files.)

2) Motorola brought the Xoom to market with a promise that all purchasers could send in the Xoom for a 4G upgrade.

That was three months ago that the promise was made. Motorola has yet to provide the upgrade. There's a question if Motorola intends to fulfill its promise of the free upgrade.

3) Although there's a microSD slot, it does NOT work. There's a clear plastic chip in the slot that says the slot will work on Motorola providing the hardware upgrade. Specifically, it says:

"Replace with MicroSD only after Android system update."

(See below.)

Many people are returning the Xoom on finding out there's no Adobe Flash support, the microSD slot does not work and that Motorola has not announced that the free hardware upgrade is available.

The Xoom did install Honeycomb 3.1 about ten minutes after I connected to the Net via WiFi. The microSD slot did NOT work after the update, despite the microSD-shaped plastic chip said it would work after the update.

I searched the Net to see if there was any info on the microSD slot, now an "issue." I did not find anything.

I don't know about anyone else, but the microSD slot not working, after a supposed update would enable it, well... that does not instill confidence about Motorola ever providing other upgrades.

TimeOut4242

99% of the apps are written in Java. However, none of the tablets/chromebooks can run Java Applets.

However, it's not that difficult to get existing Java programs into the Android framework; the heavy lifting would be in re-working the UI.

Sean

uncleop wrote:Android was made for Java. It's Google's preferred language, at least for now.

Thus speaks an Android developer who finds it pretty easy to write for.

edit: Note that you cannot generally run just any old Java app. The UI and process model of the Android world is just not the same as most JavaME environments, because it's closer to (but not quite) JavaSE. And this is why Oracle is having patent/licensing fits about Android when it's running on a mobile device.

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

Is it possible to print from the Xoom?

droon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages droon

I dont have the Xoom, but I do Have a Galaxy Tab 10.1. Honeycomb is what tablets have been waiting for. after the first few days of useing it it becomes second nature how it all works. I use my tablet much much more than my Macbook Pro for everything except heavy web browsing, video editing, and heavy word processing. its so much easier to read and resond to emails and social networking and the like from a touch screen. If you are debating this then go for it!!

Yes i Know my Capitalization and speeling are bad, im a scienteist so that makes It oK.

droon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages droon

This is a very misleading post. Flash comes from an app that you need to download from the Android market, it will then work all across the tablet.

As has been said, the 4G upgrade was for the 3G models, of which this is not.

The software upgrade that is needed for MicroSD card support is 3.2, which is rolling out now to the Xoom (literally as we speak). If you had done any real searching on the topic it is posted all over the inter-webs.

I do agree that it is looking bleek for the hardware upgrades, that whole process seemed fishy in the first place: "buy this expensive tablet and when we are ready you can send it back to us and we will put more hardware inside of it for free!!" idk, i wouldn't have counted on it anyways. But motorola is a very well known and highly esteemed name in mobile devices and android hardware development. This is a great tablet and I almost bought it, but decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab instead, its a bit faster and much smaller/lighter for cheaper than the retail, but its still more than this price so id say go for it you ar still thinking about it =)

MichaelSF wrote:I can tell you why there's refurbished Xooms, because a lot of people are returning them, like I did.

But unlike what people think, it's not because of defects (the Xoom is a nice device), it's because:

1) It does NOT have Adobe Flash support. That means it will NOT play video on websites (all sites now playing video in Adobe Flash format).

(From some posts in here, the updates do provide Flash support now, but even when I installed Honeycomb 3.1 my Xoom would not play flash files.)

2) Motorola brought the Xoom to market with a promise that all purchasers could send in the Xoom for a 4G upgrade.

That was three months ago that the promise was made. Motorola has yet to provide the upgrade. There's a question if Motorola intends to fulfill its promise of the free upgrade.

3) Although there's a microSD slot, it does NOT work. There's a clear plastic chip in the slot that says the slot will work on Motorola providing the hardware upgrade. Specifically, it says:

"Replace with MicroSD only after Android system update."

(See below.)

Many people are returning the Xoom on finding out there's no Adobe Flash support, the microSD slot does not work and that Motorola has not announced that the free hardware upgrade is available.

The Xoom did install Honeycomb 3.1 about ten minutes after I connected to the Net via WiFi. The microSD slot did NOT work after the update, despite the microSD-shaped plastic chip said it would work after the update.

I searched the Net to see if there was any info on the microSD slot, now an "issue." I did not find anything.

I don't know about anyone else, but the microSD slot not working, after a supposed update would enable it, well... that does not instill confidence about Motorola ever providing other upgrades.

Yes i Know my Capitalization and speeling are bad, im a scienteist so that makes It oK.

Froggypwns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Froggypwns
true559 wrote:Is it possible to print from the Xoom?

In theroy you can, I've seen references to it on the web but nothing actually concrete. I've never actually bothered to try from mine, but now I am interested and going to try making it work on mine just for the hell of it.

ramirez0207

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramirez0207

OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG!!! I just bought one! I hope it's a good deal! I've been looking at tablets for awhile now! I hope I made a good choice?!? I really like the fact that there's that expandable memory & flash. I hope when they upgrade the software they will be able to play netflix! Also, does anyone know if you aren't satisfied with this woot purchase, are you able to return it to woot?!? Just wondering...
thanks

tsellers1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsellers1

After having one for about a week, I wouldn't exactly rave about it. In fact in my case it is going back to Costco. There is much to like about tablets and in this regard Xoom shares many of the benefits. But not being able to insert my SD cards until an upgrade, no way to attach external USB storage, no way to replace the battery, no stand to hold it up, a 'fat' shiny profile that is a fingerprint magnet, a mini HDMI connetor instead of standard, the need to re-encode have my video files before they will play, and with no support to play .mkv files, those were the main deal breakers. Why they needed to make it so shiny so that it slides off every surface you try to place it on is beyond me. Then bevel the edges to make it even harder to keep on your lap, why not? What are the pros? Well it's easy to tether to your BT phone, the wireless N makes the WiFI fast,the screen looks good for the few standard def .avi files you can play on it after you wipe all your fingerprints off the hyper glossy surface, and battery life seems good. But the worst of all I have saved for last: the processor is anemic, and as a result as soon as you have more than one thing going on, everything stalls and lags, forcing you to keep punching icons and arrows over and over until they finally respond. I ended up getting a Q550 Slate instead, and while it addresses the weaknesses outlined above, it seems to do so at the expense of battery life, so it may also go back along with the Xoom and I'll revert to a 4.3" phone for my portable needs in the field where I need light weight and long battery life.

prdamrican

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prdamrican
PeterCapek wrote:I'm convinced about Flash, I guess, but can anyone confirm from experience that this will play TED talks?

It plays TED in the browser either small or full screen. There are also a bunch of dedicated apps...

woot-a-holic

"I must check Woot... I must check Woot...

;)

tsellers1

Double Post deleted

tsellers1

Triple Post deleted

Froggypwns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Froggypwns
tsellers1 wrote:After having one for about a week, I wouldn't exactly rave about it. In fact in my case it is going back to Costco. There is much to like about tablets and in this regard Xoom shares many of the benefits. But not being able to insert my SD cards until an upgrade, no way to attach external USB storage, no way to replace the battery, no stand to hold it up, a 'fat' shiny profile that is a fingerprint magnet, a mini HDMI connetor instead of standard, the need to re-encode have my video files before they will play, and with no support to play .mkv files, those were the main deal breakers. Why they needed to make it so shiny so that it slides off every surface you try to place it on is beyond me. Then bevel the edges to make it even harder to keep on your lap, why not? What are the pros? Well it's easy to tether to your BT phone, the wireless N makes the WiFI fast,the screen looks good for the few standard def .avi files you can play on it after you wipe all your fingerprints off the hyper glossy surface, and battery life seems good. But the worst of all I have saved for last: the processor is anemic, and as a result as soon as you have more than one thing going on, everything stalls and lags, forcing you to keep punching icons and arrows over and over until they finally respond. I ended up getting a Q550 Slate instead, and while it addresses the weaknesses outlined above, it seems to do so at the expense of battery life, so it may also go back along with the Xoom and I'll revert to a 4.3" phone for my portable needs in the field where I need light weight and long battery life.

Ok let me take of this for you

"But not being able to insert my SD cards until an upgrade"

SD cards work now, the update has been slowly going out to all the tablets. They worked from day one if you rooted and used hacks, but finally the lazy like me can use it.

"no way to attach external USB storage"

Ebay, USB host cable for Nokia PDAs. I've hooked up USB hard drives and a mouse using this, it works fantastic.

" no way to replace the battery"

Got me there, but given the battery life is next to forever it isn't an issue in the short term. By time my battery is worn out I will probably have something new.

"no stand to hold it up"

I bought a leather case to protect mine, it also features an adjustable stand.

"a 'fat' shiny profile that is a fingerprint magnet"

I don't have any fingerprints on mine. The unit cleans really nice and easy too.

"a mini HDMI connetor instead of standard"

Ebay for an adapter or a cable with microhdmi if you need.

"the need to re-encode have my video files before they will play, and with no support to play .mkv files"

I put a bunch of My Little Pony MKV and Stargate AVI files on mine, no rencoding, they all play fine in ES Player.

"Why they needed to make it so shiny so that it slides off every surface you try to place it on is beyond me. Then bevel the edges to make it even harder to keep on your lap, why not? "

I've never had that issue, but I've had it in a case since day 1 to protect it.

"But the worst of all I have saved for last: the processor is anemic, and as a result as soon as you have more than one thing going on, everything stalls and lags, forcing you to keep punching icons and arrows over and over until they finally respond."

Im not sure what crapware you have installed, I've never had performance issues with mine. In fact, one of my co workers couldn't believe the speed of the Xoom compared to his Evo 4G, and went and bought one.

"I ended up getting a Q550 Slate instead,"

I'm sorry for your loss

wclements

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wclements
ramirez0207 wrote:OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG!!! I just bought one! I hope it's a good deal! I've been looking at tablets for awhile now! I hope I made a good choice?!? I really like the fact that there's that expandable memory & flash. I hope when they upgrade the software they will be able to play netflix! Also, does anyone know if you aren't satisfied with this woot purchase, are you able to return it to woot?!? Just wondering...
thanks

I'm sure you'll love it. You're in good company, as many others have bought (including me).

Last month, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", which I'm returning. From everything I've read, the Xoom is better. (And, I really liked the Galaxy Tab. I would have kept it if I didn't see this deal.)

The Netflix issue is not related to the tablet, it's related to Netflix, as far as I know. They just need to decide to release a tablet version. (They have an Android phone version, which I can use on my HTC EVO 4G.) So, hopefully that comes out soon.

Returns, though, you won't be happy with. Woot only accepts returns for defects, and even then they send you to the manufacturer first and will only issue an RMA for refund if the manufacturer fails to satisfy you. So, no returns for buyers remorse. It's okay, though, considering you can sell it on Amazon or something and get your money back (or most of it) if you're not happy.

Congrats on the Woot! Again, I'm sure you'll love it. I know I will.

Will

wclements

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wclements
Froggypwns wrote:Ok let me take of this for you

Thank you for addressing tseller's comments. Much appreciated.

Will

campbell27

quality posts: 1 Private Messages campbell27
GoldenOne wrote:Do you need a Verizon Account to use this? I apologize in advance if that is a dumb question. Just wondering cause I really want a tablet.

No-it's WiFi only.

Jake

campbell27

quality posts: 1 Private Messages campbell27

Can I read my DRM protected EPUB books from the library?

Jake

sechrist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sechrist

Sorry late, but better late than never...

Check out the review on the Xoom display at http://bit.ly/puCw3m

Didn't fare too well against either the Asus Transformer (same price new as the refurb here...) nor the iPad...

prdamrican

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prdamrican

I can confirm the new 3.2 firmware is out and the microSD card is now fully functional... here's a pic:

Xoom Storage Stats

woot-a-holic

"I must check Woot... I must check Woot...

;)

kdoug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdoug
sechrist wrote:Sorry late, but better late than never...

Check out the review on the Xoom display at http://bit.ly/puCw3m

Didn't fare too well against either the Asus Transformer (same price new as the refurb here...) nor the iPad...

Sorry but the EEE Pad is a cheap piece of crap. It has some serious backlight bleeding and plagued with other quality control issues. Don't expect any help from Asus technical support either.

Here's a youtube video of a guy on his second one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80pSCclf9Eg

anothertechguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anothertechguy

was going to buy it but could not justify the tax...

overall good deal for $400 if you want more then basic mobility like Ipad2 and Galaxy. But if all you want is a big phone and basic use then this cannot compare to the Ipad2 or Galaxy.

This is excellent if you are willing to give up sleek, light, ultra-thin, etc... you will gain HDMI, USB, microSD, better camera, etc.

Again... tax is what killed it for me... Too bad Woot had to add tax now...