teckkie2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teckkie2k

It's a real cool chic alarm clock!!!

Mix the Chumby Nerds with the Chic and Cool Sony Design Kids, add in some Mad Men, and you get "The Dash". The only problem is the Mad Men wants the Dash to be something it's not: a "Personal Internet Device" (sounds like something that's sold in a smoke shop). Anyway, it's worth $74 (not $129 - $147 retail) for an alarm clock with cool apps, a touch screen, Internet Radio,Pandora Box, Internet Video Player, digital picture frame, and USB port. Also it's wireless (isn't everything). Sony should of made it portable with a battery and remote. It has potential for greatness, because the Chumby Nerds are constantly updating their software (check out www.chumby.com)

Yea I agree your phone can do all that, but does it look sexy in wedges?

hardworkingjulie

quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie
hustlertwo wrote:Here's a short list of my preferred apps:

-Woot. If I don't put that one first they might ban me.
-Pong Clock. The hour is the left side's score, the minute the right. Shame it doesn't have the sounds, but still cool to look at. Although the best clock one is probably....
-Death Star Viewer. There's a couple with similar names to this, but this is the one in the same style as the hologram of the Death Star seen in the Yavin 4 base during New Hope. Simple, vibrant, chock full of geekery.
-Gmail viewer. Basic, but it keeps me from having to have my Gmail page open all the time to keep track of incoming mail.
-Wikipedia article of the day. Always useful for work.
-Abe Vigoda is Alive updates. He still is, y'know.
-Sleep Sound Generator. Nowhere near as varied as an actual sound machine, but then those are dedicated devices and this is just an added feature on a viewer. The volume of the Dash allows it to drown out most noises that might wake you up, and the sleep mode, while still a tad bright (and off-center), insures you get the waves and rain noises without sacrificing knowing the time.
-German Fuzzy Clock. Because it's good practice.
-I forget the name, but the clock that features a duck shooting gallery game. My nephew loves this.

And while this isn't an app, I like that the background theme changes color as the day waxes and wanes. I have mine set up to display the apps in part of the screen, while the other part shows the theme, time, date, and local weather.

I love the "Is Abe Vigoda still alive?" updates too. It brightens my day every time I see Fish is still with us. =)

wpking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wpking

i plan on using this at work. it's what i've been looking for, and the price is perfect! wish i could get more, one for every family m ember.

4/13/2007-Sandisk Sansa e140 1GB MP3 Player
4/14/2007-Aerielle Audiobug FM Transmitter

chungfoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chungfoon
kennyminot wrote:The problem is that some of us have problems keeping devices in the same place. I'm likely to drag my several pieces of portable electronic equipment all over the house. Sometimes, when I'm going to bed, I must engage in a frustrating search to find my phone, when I'd much rather go straight to sleep. For that reason, I loved having a dedicated alarm clock beside the bed. Plus, this thing has a much more stable stand; I don't care what sdc100 says, it's hard to believe that someone with my sleeping patterns wouldn't knock that tablet onto the ground in a fit of sleepy rage.

I'm a former Dash owner and current Volcity Cruz owner. Because of its weight, the cRuz is pretty stable, and no easier to knock back than the Dash. But it's easier to knock forward. Since I have mine by my bed 90% of the time, there's an easy solution. A small piece of Velcro between the Cruz and the stand. YOu can also velcro the stand to your desk, or use 3M Scotch Wallsaver Removable Poster Tape to secure the stand to the table. If you don't want to be able to remove the tablet, thne use the Walllsaver tape between the tablet and the stand. If you have sleepy rage, both the Dash and a tablet will not survive. Also, I think there's an alarm app that can snooze by voice recognizing so you don't ever have to hit the tablet. I like that the Cruz forces me to do a math equation before dismissing the alarm to prove I'm really awake. I overslept many times using the Dash.

CandyMT1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CandyMT1

is the USB an output? I mean, can i get netflix on this thing and then use the USB to connect to my TV as an output or is the USB only for input???

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude
dheaven wrote:You must have a different Dash. My apps are always full-screen, my clock display is set to dim, or even shut down, at midnight, and I wake up to my Pandora "Enya" station or my Slacker "New Age" station every morning. Some mornings I chose to wake up to a rowdy Garth Brooks video, and it accommodates me.

I wonder if hes accepted any of the software updates.. Sony's put back in a lot of the stuff they took out of the original release..

Its a bit more chumby than Sony from the shipping release..Sony held some features back saying they were too confusing/technical..

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude
chungfoon wrote:I'm a former Dash owner and current Volcity Cruz owner. Because of its weight, the cRuz is pretty stable, and no easier to knock back than the Dash. But it's easier to knock forward. Since I have mine by my bed 90% of the time, there's an easy solution. A small piece of Velcro between the Cruz and the stand. YOu can also velcro the stand to your desk, or use 3M Scotch Wallsaver Removable Poster Tape to secure the stand to the table. If you don't want to be able to remove the tablet, thne use the Walllsaver tape between the tablet and the stand. If you have sleepy rage, both the Dash and a tablet will not survive. Also, I think there's an alarm app that can snooze by voice recognizing so you don't ever have to hit the tablet. I like that the Cruz forces me to do a math equation before dismissing the alarm to prove I'm really awake. I overslept many times using the Dash.

Im not a fan of the screen of the Cruz... This is where a lot of the cheap Android devices fail.. I will give Sony this. they did use a decent panel in the Dash..

AndyW06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyW06
CandyMT1 wrote:is the USB an output? I mean, can i get netflix on this thing and then use the USB to connect to my TV as an output or is the USB only for input???

Only for input

ddids

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ddids

I'm considering a second one! Got my first one on woot! about six months ago for ten more bucks. It really is an awesome alarm clock. Pandora, Netflix, Podcast, sweet applications, and the ability to customize the heck out of the device and the alarm clock. It is super sweet! If you treat it as an elite alarm clock, you will not be disappointed.

alduquette

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alduquette

Has anyone tried watching TV shows on Hulu using this device?

flipsidesouth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flipsidesouth

I bought it a few weeks and it took about a day to figure out how to make it work. But it's the best clock radio ever. I fall asleep watching movies on it. The pictures are crisp. Sound is good enough. Highly recommend it.

judyneric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judyneric

REGARD THE FOLLOWING information as the NewEgg price is now $200!!!

I bought this several days ago from Newegg for the same price and FREE shipping. Yes, it was brand new, not refurb.

Not knocking Woot, but it'd be foolish to buy this through Woot when Newegg returns are much easier, and you save the $5 shipping, and Newegg actually ships it out quickly via UPS.

Plus, you can get 35 Skymiles if you go through Skymiles Shopping Center.

CandyMT1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CandyMT1
AndyW06 wrote:Only for input

TY!

sdc100

quality posts: 504 Private Messages sdc100
joltdude wrote:Im not a fan of the screen of the Cruz... This is where a lot of the cheap Android devices fail.. I will give Sony this. they did use a decent panel in the Dash..

I agree. For one thing, the Sony uses a capacitive screen (although not multitouch) while the Cruz is resistive. And Android is a heftier OS than Chumby OS, requiring more processing power. So I've always admitted that the Cruz is not a great or even very good tablet. But if you use it like a Chumby/Dash, for $79, it's a vastly superior "personal Internet Viewer" in terms of app availability, true web browsing, interactivity and flexibility. Although mine sits by the bed like a clock radio 99% of the time, it can also run off battery -- and most of the apps don't even need the Internet.

BTW, the unresponsiveness is not the touchscreen's fault. It's the sluggish CPU and the OS. The Cruz is an entry level tablet so it's expected. There's a myth that capacitive screens are more responsive. A resistive screen can be just as responsive as a capacitive screen if the CPU paid attention to it. The illusion comes from the fact that capacitive screens are only used in high end devices with faster CPUs and superior hardware design, whereas resistive screens are used in the worst Chinese-made cheapies. If you want to see resistive screens done right, try the Entourage Edge.

In summary: At $79, the Cruz = B-/C+ tablet; A/A+ personal internet device.

bandit4126

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bandit4126

Does this have battery back up too or does it have to be plugged in all the time?
Was wondering if using it as an alarm clock and we lost power if the Dash would run on battery.

maytay20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maytay20
jrstinkfish wrote:When an alarm goes off in Android, a snooze button appears on the screen, or if you press the power button, it will also snooze. Granted it's not something you can reach over and slap, but the functionality is there.

Yes and there is the fun game of trying to hit the snooze button on an android because everytime you move the thing slightly it moves the position of the button.

sdc100

judyneric wrote:I bought this several days ago from Newegg for the same price and FREE shipping. Yes, it was brand new, not refurb.

Not knocking Woot, but it'd be foolish to buy this through Woot when Newegg returns are much easier, and you save the $5 shipping, and Newegg actually ships it out quickly via UPS.

And NewEgg doesn't charge sales tax, at least not to us NYers. Woot collects tax from WA, TX and NY residents. NewEgg also has superfast (approx 2 day) free shipping although I have to say that Woot has also
been supefast (4 day) recently.

FYI, WA, TX and NY residents should use the coupon code "TAXSUCKS" to get $5 off their Dash purchase.

judyneric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judyneric
dheaven wrote:Some mornings I chose to wake up to a rowdy Garth Brooks video, and it accommodates me.

Ewww, that sound so... wrong.

sdc100

bandit4126 wrote:Does this have battery back up too or does it have to be plugged in all the time?
Was wondering if using it as an alarm clock and we lost power if the Dash would run on battery.

AC power only and although the description state, "Clock: Real Time Clock with Battery Backup." Don't know if alarms, etc would work with no AC.

dhpersonal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dhpersonal

Haha, this is hilarious. I stayed up during the WootOff to see if this Dash was going to be sold, and when it wasn't offered, I went to Amazon.com and purchased the Dash from there. I just found out Woot was selling the item here by using the Woot application on the Dash.

sdc100

judyneric wrote:REGARD THE FOLLOWING information as the NewEgg price is now $200!!!

I bought this several days ago from Newegg for the same price and FREE shipping. Yes, it was brand new, not refurb.

Don't you mean "DISregard"???
Yeah, when NewEgg has their 24 hr sales, you can get some amazing bargains, but they often quickly go back to MSRP.

emeleste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeleste
dheaven wrote:I love this dang thing! Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Youtube, Over 200 cool clock faces, weather, horoscopes, Pandora, Slacker,etc, etc, etc, lots of apps, all on your night stand. Plug in a good set of speakers, and you've got a mini-entertainment system that simply works. My favorite Woot buy in a good, long time.

I understand that the Dash is a glorified alarm clock with benefits. I have an Acer Iconia A500 tablet so my tablet needs are met. What is important to me is understanding if I can use Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime steaming movies with the current Dash on sale. I looked in the Dash app market and do not see either listed. Just Netflix, which I DON'T use. I wouldn't mind being able to check FB, and email, but it's not the tipping point for me. How does one connect to Amazon Prime Videos and Hulu Plus if there are no listed apps for them? HELP? I'm so tempted, but can't find anything online saying how to get these services for Dash. TIA!

woot4rudy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woot4rudy

I tend to sell a lot stuff I buy (via eBay) when I find something better or if I just get tired of it. This is a keeper; however.

Rudy

massimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages massimj

I bought one from somewhere else at about $20 more. It is buggy, even after I got the updated firmware. They could have made the menu work better, and the alarm function not go crazy once in a while. The screen is too small for many of the best apps you would want to use. So don't picture the app on an Ipad, or PC, it is much small than that, plus it's an alarm clock and must be plugged in and sit on a table, not in your hands.

bpitney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpitney

Unfortunately tax makes it more expensive than elsewhere. Too bad I moved to Texas.

kenny11lee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenny11lee

Well the words "glorified alarm clock with benefits" says it all. Any attempt to compare it with any tablet is in vain because there is no comparison as each serves a different purpose. Expectation is everything. You will not be satisfied if you try to get something from the Dash that it is not designed for, simple is that.
As for me, I found a reason to buy the Dash and just ordered it last night--my 7 years old son needs an alarm clock in his room and mine is over 10 years old, so perfect for him :-).

kensterme

AndyW06

sdc100 wrote:I agree. For one thing, the Sony uses a capacitive screen (although not multitouch) while the Cruz is resistive. And Android is a heftier OS than Chumby OS, requiring more processing power. So I've always admitted that the Cruz is not a great or even very good tablet. But if you use it like a Chumby/Dash, for $79, it's a vastly superior "personal Internet Viewer" in terms of app availability, true web browsing, interactivity and flexibility. Although mine sits by the bed like a clock radio 99% of the time, it can also run off battery -- and most of the apps don't even need the Internet.

In summary: At $79, the Cruz = B-/C+ tablet; A/A+ personal internet device.

How does your Cruz handle Netflix and Hulu +?

emeleste

Can someone please clarify for me if Amazon Prime Videos on demand and Hulu+ are actually available on the Dash that is currently being featured on Woot? I can't find the apps for them in the "app store" for Dash. Please tell me how you get those services on the CURRENT Dash. Thank you! (I'm really worked up about this and really need an answer! Honest!)

AndyW06

emeleste wrote:Can someone please clarify for me if Amazon Prime Videos on demand and Hulu+ are actually available on the Dash that is currently being featured on Woot? I can't find the apps for them in the "app store" for Dash. Please tell me how you get those services on the CURRENT Dash. Thank you! (I'm really worked up about this and really need an answer! Honest!)

The Hulu + is built in to the dash under video: you have to log into Hulu + on the dash; Was watching family guy this morning, the stream was fine. With Amazon prime you register the device (link it) at the dash website. These two video options are not a widget, they are more "built in" features

Primordial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Primordial

I wont buy it because it is made by sony, and I refuse to buy ANYTHING made by sony again. Not only were they careless with security and everyones PI, but their firmware update on my PS3 trashed it (and no, it wasn't jailbroken) and they want me to pay $150 to replace it......because of their error. Sony is a crap company and I encourage everyone to avoid them like the plague.

DoctorMusic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DoctorMusic
jimbosims wrote:Got one of these last time. I love it. Here's for the inevitable questions:
NO it is NOT an iPad, tablet, or anything resembling one. It is designed to sit on a table or shelf and passively display information from various internet services. There are some apps that allow you to search and view online content, but primarily you will "set it and forget it" and just let it run.
YES it is very much like an alarm clock. In fact, that's what I primarily use mine for. Have had no problems with it.
You can play media from the USB port, but only mass storage devices (thumbdrives, digital cameras, etc.)
Speakers are decently loud, plus there's a line out.
Online setup and maintenance is easy.

Can you set the alarm to wake you up to media that you have on a thumbdrive?

emeleste

AndyW06 wrote:The Hulu + is built in to the dash under video: you have to log into Hulu + on the dash; Was watching family guy this morning, the stream was fine. With Amazon prime you register the device (link it) at the dash website. These two video options are not a widget, they are more "built in" features

Thanks AndyWO6! I really was confused about that, as both appeared to be in the YouTube I saw listed on Google, but there was no app in the "store". Good info...and you've probably tipped the balance in my grappling with deciding if I want to order the Dash!

curtisonline

quality posts: 3 Private Messages curtisonline

Are we really only saving $13 bucks from buying it on Amazon. EHH

helibobber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helibobber

In for one after reading everyone's comments. Being kind of a gadgety guy I have to get one. I have to.

ballewja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballewja

wait, is this new or refurbished? peeps above are saying it's refurbished, but the woot frontpage says new. am i missing something?

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat
bandit4126 wrote:Does this have battery back up too or does it have to be plugged in all the time?

it doesn't have battery backup and yes, it must be plugged into an AC outlet to operate.

fortunately it either backs up your settings on the sony website (could be a plus or minus considering their recent infosec issues) or has an internal cmos-style setup that retains everything if the power goes out or if you move it to a different plug elsewhere.

DaoudaW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaoudaW

Does anyone know if there is a Skype app for the Dash?

jrogel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrogel

I bought this the last time it was offered. It's not a tablet or an ipad. It's a really cool alarm clock. Applications are slow but Netflix and Hulu look great. I absolutely love it!

lmccurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmccurdy
emeleste wrote:I understand that the Dash is a glorified alarm clock with benefits. I have an Acer Iconia A500 tablet so my tablet needs are met. What is important to me is understanding if I can use Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime steaming movies with the current Dash on sale. I looked in the Dash app market and do not see either listed. Just Netflix, which I DON'T use. I wouldn't mind being able to check FB, and email, but it's not the tipping point for me. How does one connect to Amazon Prime Videos and Hulu Plus if there are no listed apps for them? HELP? I'm so tempted, but can't find anything online saying how to get these services for Dash. TIA!

I use my Dash to watch Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Also Crackle and YouTube...I wake up to NPR in the morning and stream Pandora during the day. I also play an occasioal game, and monitor my Facebook feed and gmail inbox...I Love My Dash!

lmccurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmccurdy
alduquette wrote:Has anyone tried watching TV shows on Hulu using this device?

Yup, works great!