frogboy99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages frogboy99
Simmp5 wrote:Does this unit contain special (wink) ;-) program that more then happily sends all possible data to the local police that then, more then happily sends me tickets and or set up's on roads to bust drivers for speeding?

Ha! Poignant! What a great comment. Sergeant.

Klonk28

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Klonk28
theimmc wrote:I've used only Garmins until the TomTom Via 1535T. I find it rather difficult to get used to the TomTom interface. However, there's something appealing about having Darth Vader giving you driving directions (have to purchase the voice separately).

The place you get them is called PIGTONES.com
www.pigtones.com
They have over 20 voices and it's easy to install & fun to use!

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
brendan948725 wrote:If you have a smartphone, this is completely useless. If you don't have a smartphone, use the $74.99 you'd spend on this thing to upgrade to a smartphone. GPS systems are obsolete!

Is there a decent iPhone app for this? If so I haven't found it yet. By decent I mean one that has free up to date maps, works offline and that will allow free text search like google maps,, or better yet allows you to tell it what you are looking for. Not that this thing does all that either, I've just been pretty disappointed in the iPhone offerings, which btw aren't free either.

pshaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pshaffer

Does anyone know if the free map upgrade means you can get a map of the UK?

pjennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjennis

According to what I read in PC World, GPS maker TomTom admitted that it helped Dutch police set speed traps by selling anonymous user data.

texasben

quality posts: 1 Private Messages texasben
KyserSoze wrote:I love my Tom Tom, but the last map update was $70, so if you don't get lifetime map updates, forget it.

Yep,he's right you got to PAY to get the updated corrected maps!!! I've had mine since they came out.. DO NOT trust the suction cup to stay on the windshield!!! Mine let go and the unit landed face down on the floor shifter knob,Of course it broke the glass face. They did replace it ,but it took a long ass time. Spend the money for the beanbag dash mount. And get an extra power cord, thy will break real easy.

IF you connect it to your computer to update. Plan on spending the rest of the day. The interface between the two is S L O W.

IF ANY sunlight shines on the screen, you can't read it at all.

I will NOT Let you map your own route!

Not sure I'd buy another one. But sure won't buy Garmin again either.

xmonika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xmonika

Is it possible to download Europe maps as well or is it only linked to US&Canada maps?

gvcring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gvcring

I purchased a Tom Tom and after a short period of time it did not work. I could not return it to the company without a return number which they provide. It turns out YOU are their service dept. It was a nightmare! I now have another brand and am very happy.

hhaghiac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhaghiac

how does this handle Europe?
Does any one has any experience with this aspect?

horia

rwt467

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwt467
craigthom wrote:Your phone does mapping when you don't have a signal?

I can't remember he last time I didn't have a phone signal...you must have AT&T.

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

The GPS signal was lost 45 seconds ago doesnt seem like the best picture to use

Tabtasha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabtasha

We have had a TomTom like this for years and have no complaints. It is easy to use.

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn
KyserSoze wrote:Most luxury vehicles have built-in GPS, and after 5 years or so, anything in luxury vehicles shows up in most vehicles. It's just a matter of time.

I have NO worries then. I don't have a luxury vehicle now and don't foresee having one 5 years from now. I spend too much money on Woot! :-)

lizmckibbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizmckibbon
theimmc wrote:I've used only Garmins until the TomTom Via 1535T. I find it rather difficult to get used to the TomTom interface. However, there's something appealing about having Darth Vader giving you driving directions (have to purchase the voice separately).

I agree... the TomTom interface is completely counter intuitive. Also tough to switch to after using a Garmin. Much lower quality product.

I bought the TomTom XL 340M version of this with Lifetime Maps (I didn't really see needing traffic, but I've never used it) for $75. It gets me from point A to point B, but you get what you pay for. The thing that sticks to the windshield is awful. It's constantly falling off.

This GPS also can't find POIs very good. I usually have to end up searching for the location on google maps (on my phone) and then putting in the directions. Kind of defeats the purpose, but good for emergencies I guess.

oldbutnotstupid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldbutnotstupid
KyserSoze wrote:I love my Tom Tom, but the last map update was $70, so if you don't get lifetime map updates, forget it.

I've had TomTom for over five years. The map updates are expensive and I've only once encountered a situation where I needed an updated map.

waywyrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waywyrd

Somehow I've managed to make it through life so far with neither a smartphone nor a GPS. Until now! Another gadget for me to play with from woot...

alesme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alesme

The comparisons are for Tomtom's entry level vs garmin and Magellan premium offerings, it doesn't look like apples to apples.

mattsbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattsbrown
brendan948725 wrote:If you have a smartphone, this is completely useless. If you don't have a smartphone, use the $74.99 you'd spend on this thing to upgrade to a smartphone. GPS systems are obsolete!

Good luck getting your smartphone battery to survive navigating you on a long trip

dookie1949

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dookie1949

Regarding Lifetime Traffic; there is a significant difference between Tom Tom and Garmin. Garmin's traffic service includes advertisements for nearby businesses as you pass by while Tom Tom does not.

I hassled Garmin on this and they provided the usual yada yada about how it helped them keep the price lower. Tom Tom customer service verified they do not do it.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but there is something wrong about buying a device that provides a service and being subjected to an endless supply of ads.

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that,
Can't you read the sign?"
- Five Man Electrical Band

scarp54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scarp54

If I'm not mistaken, and I rarely am, this unit comes with auto-zoom - and it SUCKS! You cannot set the zoom level. You zoom out and after a couple of seconds it zooms back in. There is NO fix and no hack for this. Just what I want - to see 2 miles of road when I'm in the middle of Nebraska or someother God foresaken place.

Just sayin..

nancyrcol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nancyrcol

I've had a TomTom for about 3 years (a 730, I think - it's in the car and I'm too lazy to check right now). I had absolutely no complaints! Never bought a new US map, the corrections are enough for me.

As for the Europe question, we did use ours in Ireland in 2008. Bought the map (I think it was the UK) ahead of time. Oh my! Did it save our butts many, many times! An absolute necessity if we travel there again. And, no, my smartphone does not work globally. I use my GPS instead of my smartphone for a variety of reasons: signal issues, battery life, screen size, voice guidance, etc. etc.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I knew if it had an option for truck routes only. My dad is a semi driver and I'd love to get it for him!

Nancy R Collins

greenwoodgeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenwoodgeoff

I have a Garmin and my wife has a TomTom. We both like the interface on the Garmin better.

Her TomTom's ETA is not display as accurate arrival time. The arrival time tends to jump down as she gets closer instead of ticking down as she drives like the Garmin.

It is a great price on this size unit though.

morrmuscle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morrmuscle

Do the downloads work with Apple Safari?

dpostman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dpostman

lol, the $75 won't even begin to cover the two year data plan. And then you go about 10 miles from a major highway or city and you can only ping one tower and you're lost.
I guess it might be ok if the phone has an actual gps radio. Then your only problem is the small screen, and having to preload the maps. Oh and someone calling when you trying to figure out where you are turning.

duffyb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffyb

I never use the mounts with GPS units. As someone said, they leave you vulnerable to theft as thieves even look for suction cup rings. They are also hard to see where they are located when using the mount.

I used velco to mount mine on the dash right on top of the speedometer. I can't see 0-25 or 75-100 but, big deal. It's in the shade so it's much easier to see. I also put a strip elsewhere on the dash for the passenger to see the unit.

My Garmin is password protected so if someone breaks in they can't find my 'Home' and break into my house.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
rwt467 wrote:I can't remember he last time I didn't have a phone signal...you must have AT&T.

You must not get out much. The country is full of dead spots for all carriers.

ncstrev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncstrev

This unit uses RDS (radio data system) traffic updates. This can be very hit or miss. For example, when I am driving in Conncticut, I almost never get traffic info.

I previously had a unit with Tom Tom Live (cellular data). The Tom Tom Live traffic worked just about everywhere I have travelled in the US.

One other issue I noticed with this unit. When it offers an alternate route due to traffic, it will sometimes offer the original route, then offer the alternate again, then offer the original again...this continues until you pass the traffic problem. A very strange bug.

ncstrev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncstrev
greenwoodgeoff wrote:I have a Garmin and my wife has a TomTom. We both like the interface on the Garmin better.

Her TomTom's ETA is not display as accurate arrival time. The arrival time tends to jump down as she gets closer instead of ticking down as she drives like the Garmin.

It is a great price on this size unit though.

The Tom Tom IQ Routes does a much better job of acurately predicting arrival times. My old Tom Tom has the same issue, but these newer units with IQ do not.

dweaverwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dweaverwoot
rdctali wrote:My Droid X does everything this one does, well, including the traffic update from google map.

No doubt. But the Droid is *far* more expensive, because of the enormous monthly fees for its data plan (I looked into upgrading from my current smartphone to an iPhone, and the *minimum* required fee increase was $540/year).

There are NO ongoing costs for a dedicated GPS unit, just the $70 upfront cost ... a little more than one month of the extra fees charged to use a smartphone w/data plan.

klafleur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klafleur

Personally I agree with you, but for some people a standalone GPS makes sense.

I ordered one for my 65 year old father-in-law. He's a genius with anything mechanical, but hopeless with computers. He can barely text, forget ever convincing him to shell out $30 a month plus $200 to upgrade to a smartphone.

mhoop1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mhoop1
aractor wrote:Beanbag mounts are a great easy, and usually cheap, solution to that suction-cup ring problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MKKA5C?linkCode=xm2&tag=invihand-20

I like the idea of the beanbag mount, but wouldn't it just turn the GPS into a much larger and heavier projectile if there were an accident? I have a relative who was nearly killed by one of those wide-bottomed dashboard coffee mugs, and the accident was relatively minor in all other aspects.

Seize the Woot!

pilote

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pilote

you're either a Tom Tom fan or a Garmin fan, because of the interfaces...you get used to one or the other.

if this is your first GPS, this Tom Tom is an outstanding value for what you get.

JoeMarfice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeMarfice

I've owned all three of the big names.

Garmin GOOD point: almost never let me down. Found a good route; new the right turns. Worked, period.

Garmin GOOD: Alone of the big three, it doesn't care about spaces when you type street names and company names in. This is really important! I live on Oakleaf, which TomTom maps think is spelled Oak Leaf. It won't find "Oak Leaf St"; AFAItK that doesn't even exist. And if you're trying to drive to JoAnns, don't search for Jo Anns! So, Garmin wins for this point, too.

Garmin GOOD point: I found the Garmin's interface the most intuitive to use by far. Of course, that's subjective.

Garmin BAD point: updates were atrociously priced. Of course, if you buy one with lifetime upgrades for free, no problem there.

Magellan GOOD: has a super-neat feature: it beeps *just* as you reach turns, so if there are two closely spaced roads, you can be sure you're turning onto the right one without taking your attention off the road.

Magellan BAD: However, there were 12yo roads I traveled that it could identify (on the map), but not find (as a destination address). STUPID, STUPID GPS! Additionally, the computer voice pronunciation of road names is really awful.

Magellan BAD: got the address wrong about 50% of the time. It would show an odd-numbered house as being on the even-numbered side of the road (no big deal, but wrong), or show a destination as being 1/3 of a mile away from where it really was (a big error). My roommate had the same model (we bought at the same sale, so they should have been identical), but said he never had this problem, FWIW.

Magellan BAD: they sell advertising. So, you're driving along, following directions in heavy traffic, and suddenly a baar across the top of your already-busy screen announces "All you can eat lobster!", and the Red Lobster three blocks away appears on your map. That's a problem.

TomTom GOOD: Alone of the big three, it doesn't pop up ads. My Garmin (with limited map license) didn't do this, but according to dookie1949, above: "Regarding Lifetime Traffic; there is a significant difference between Tom Tom and Garmin. Garmin's traffic service includes advertisements for nearby businesses as you pass by while Tom Tom does not."

TomTom BAD: I currently have a TomTom. The software often gets confused, and locates my car in the middle of a block, instead of on the road.

TomTom BAD: The computer voice sometimes clips off syllables from road names it is pronouncing; this makes it harder to understand them. So far, not impressed, but it works better than the Magellan.

TomTom BAD: the zoom controls are backwards. If you want to expand the view (look closer), you press the leftmost or bottom button. That's reversed from almost every other mapping software out there, so it's confusing.

jeffbonnie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffbonnie
mkentosh wrote:Walmart reviews....
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/14301700/tomtom-5-0-xxl-535t-gps-navigation-system-reviews/reviews.htm

One of those 5 star reviews on Walmart is mine. I picked this up at Walmart before I went on a trip in May. I love this thing! The advanced lane management was great; the gas station / restaurant lookup was great; everything was great about this device. I paid $118 for it at Walmart, and now you can get it on Woot for 70 bucks? If you're on the fence, grab it!

When I bought mine I downloaded the latest map per Tom Tom's 30-day guarantee and it went without a hitch. I am very pleased with this GPS!

ckohrmann86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckohrmann86

Does this have lane assist? I have had a refurb navigon for the past 4yrs and its starting to show its age. Was wondering if this was a decent upgrade

pearsth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pearsth

IF YOU ARE ARGUING DATA PLANS FOR SMARTPHONE GPS, READ THIS!

Sorry for the All Caps, but I wanted folks to know that you can get smartphone apps that download the entire USA locally to your phone, just like a GPS would have, but with free updates.

iPhone Users, check out CoPilot.

http://www.copilotlive.com/us/

For $10, you get an app with 100% of he USA maps that update for free whenever there is an update. You do, however, have to pay extra for traffic features monthly. I use this on my iPhone in my car, but I do pefer the Garmin Kenwood in dash unit I put in my wife's car.

When I had a Windows Mobile phone, both TomTom and Garmin had full local downloadable mapsets for their Smartphone software as well.

I would never rely on Telenav or Google Maps or anything else that downloads maps on the fly. Haven't tried google map cahing yet, but I don't have an android to try it on.

Tom

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

Not sure if it's the same for every model, but you get one map update to the latest one. The others you need to pay for.

jeffiekins wrote:"with lifetime traffic updates."

Cool. How about MAP updates? Would I have to pay for those? My city changes roads like the weather, so that would be pretty important.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
phazeprod wrote:As many people tonight have pointed out, stand alone GPS is useless. I have found by having this ring on my windshield, thieves break into my car and leave me there old GPS units. One even left me a brochure for smart phones.

I don't know where you live but this family has a few upscale sedans and SUVS. We shop all over the place, park in many parking lots and have never had a car attempted to be broken into since 1983. That was in a major city, they wanted the entire car and didn't get it.

There are many items in cars that could cause theft including a built in GPS or BOSE radio. I have a few BOSE stereos but I won't buy a built in GPS. Removable GPS systems don't cause theft in my section of the U.S.

The reason I won't purchase a built in is if it goes, I need to have it pulled out to repair it. I would rather fix or toss a removable GPS. My Garmin is 5 years old and running well by the way.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
oldbutnotstupid wrote:I've had TomTom for over five years. The map updates are expensive and I've only once encountered a situation where I needed an updated map.

I had mine for 3 years and went to Tempe, so many new areas, we couldn't get to many locations without the updated maps. Made me wonder if I didn't buy the updates, if the unit could have been programed to get dumber as time went on, because some of the routes before the upgrade were out of the way and there couldn't have been that many new roads!

Also, in Atlanta Tom Tom said stay left on 6 lanes and I saw a sign that said to get in the right 2 lanes for my destination. I had 1/2 mile to cross 4 lanes of heavy traffic!

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman
dookie1949 wrote:... Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but there is something wrong about buying a device that provides a service and being subjected to an endless supply of ads.

I guess you don't own a TV then?

Just kidding. I actually have to agree with you. I would NOT want my GPS throwing local ads at me either. So far as I know, this TOMTOM does not.