WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Can you drive a stick?
  • 70.9% - Yeah. 3002
  • 12.5% - Technically yes, but it’s not pretty. And if I come to a stop sign at the top of a hill I’m blowing through it. 531
  • 4.2% - Nope. I tried, but couldn’t get the hang of it. 178
  • 11.5% - I’ve never had to. Do they still make manual transmissions? 487
  • 0.9% - I don’t even know what you’re talking about. 37
4235 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

obviousspy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obviousspy

Yes. Yes I can. In fact, I'll only drive an automatic transmission if I have no other choice.

benya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benya

Oh yea! And I enjoy every minute of it. Every man should be able to drive stick. It's one of those thing in life that every man has to do: plant a tree, have a son, build a house, drive stick, ride the motorcycle. Currently I've got 2 out of 5.... need a motorcycle...

benya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benya

BTW, driving manual transmission = indescribable joy

Calesta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Calesta

The 3 cars I drive are all stick, the 3 I just sold were all stick, and the car coming apart in the shop right now is stick (and was converted from automatic).

I (and a few friends) taught my wife how to drive stick while she was in college so she could buy an affordable car in Austin (hard to do if all you want is automatic) and now she refuses to drive anything without a clutch pedal.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

People that like automatic transmissions are the same people who like straight roads, cup holders and having more than two seats (and less than 200hp). I don't understand those people.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

You should learn how to drive stick just in case of emergency, even if you own an automatic. My friend had to drive an incapacitated friend's car (stick shift) to a hospital during a trip to Brazil. He learned how to drive stick when he first started driving and never drove it again, but luckily he had a general idea of what to do. Probably saved his friend's life.

I would recommend also learning how to ride a motorcycle for the very same reason.

Dritnul

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dritnul

Only ever owned stick shifts since i started driving

kimcee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kimcee

I <3 my civic si and it's lovely 6 speed transmission!

My dad taught me how to drive a stick on a 1970 VW camper van (which was way older than I am). I had to stand up to push both the brake & clutch at the same time.

I hate driving automatics now.. I won't drive one unless I have to.

I feel like everyone should learn how to drive a stick, it's a good skill to have and it's very frustrating when someone can't drive one in an emergency situation (and i'm not just talking about for designated driver purposes either). It's not hard to learn, you just have to take the time to do it.

silverfaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silverfaux

I was taught to drive on an automatic, but when I was stationed in California all that was available on the sales lots were manuals. An enterprising salesman trying to make a sale taught me to drive stick in about 30 minutes. Sadly for him, I didn't buy his overpriced RX7, but every car I've owned since has been manual.

devildog7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devildog7
rprebel wrote:People that like automatic transmissions are the same people who like straight roads, cup holders and having more than two seats (and less than 200hp). I don't understand those people.

I concur!

pmcizhere

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pmcizhere

I've yet to drive a stick, but I do ride motorcycles and quads, which have the same concept. So I imagine a stick won't be much harder to drive. I think I want both worlds - a true manual transmission with a clutch, but then the added ability to switch into automatic when I just want to cruise and not worry about the drive.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

cheroke55

quality posts: 37 Private Messages cheroke55
devildog7 wrote:I concur!

Are we talking 9,10,13,15 or 18 forward gears?

I used to drive semi's. Depending on the transmission, you can have up to 18 gears forward, and 2 reverse.

Keep on truckin! We keep your stores loaded. Without us you wouldn't be eating

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Some people drive. Some people only steer.

davidleekersey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidleekersey

My last car was a stick. I got pretty good at it. I would sit at a light at the top of a hill and make the car roll back a few inches then go up hill a few inches then repeat, freaking out the other people in the car.

I tried to get a stick when I bought my current car but all the cars I looked at if it had a stick and I could afford it I couldn't fit in it. If I could fit in it and it had a stick I could afford it. So I kind of got stuck with an automatic.

noranora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noranora
rprebel wrote:People that like automatic transmissions are the same people who like straight roads, cup holders and having more than two seats (and less than 200hp). I don't understand those people.

I do...when you drive high it's way better to have less that you need to control. (uh me along time ago and I traded in a stick for an ahtemattee, then I got just as you say "like straight roads, cup holders and having more than two seats "we all gotta grow up sometime, dangit.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Shame on Woot! for using polls to gather information about the gender of their users . . .

Sukairain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sukairain

I need a 'Of course, is there any other way to drive? I don't know of one' option

<insert lulz here>

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

Sure, it's the only way to kill a vampire.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
davidleekersey wrote:My last car was a stick. I got pretty good at it. I would sit at a light at the top of a hill and make the car roll back a few inches then go up hill a few inches then repeat, freaking out the other people in the car.

I tried to get a stick when I bought my current car but all the cars I looked at if it had a stick and I could afford it I couldn't fit in it. If I could fit in it and it had a stick I could afford it. So I kind of got stuck with an automatic.

Same with me. All of my previous cars/trucks were stick shift, but the only vehicles on the lot where I purchased my new truck only had au-bu-matics. I also only buy brand specific vehicles. but that's not what this poll is about.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

jezuzfreek

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jezuzfreek

Yes. I also ride a motorcycle. Both car and bike are manual.

wrunswithscissors

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrunswithscissors

I learned on a corvair 3 speed on the floor. then i had my sister's saab for the summer- it had a shift on the column. I love driving a standard except in heavy stop and go traffic

Hawk0900

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hawk0900

I won't drive my friends cars because there all automatics and there is nothing more boring then an automatic...and who wants to be seen driving a four door.

ladyhawksz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyhawksz
kimcee wrote:I <3 my civic si and it's lovely 6 speed transmission!

That's my feeling exactly!! I have a 6-speed Civic SI also - LOVE IT!!

I learned to drive in a 1962 Mercury Comet on an informal airstrip in a field. My dad showed me how and left me to it - said come back when you can drive this thing!! Took a few hours, but I got the hang of it, and have always preferred a stick.

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

I have a '95 Eclipse gsx, and I just got a 350z last year. I learned on my buddies old 85 toyota corrola. LOL that car was so raggedy that it had a hole in the floor. But it was a fantastic car to learn on. Light, clutch was good, so you could feel the catch, and not to powerful so you could learn to shift the proper way. But I wish he still had the car, Its impossible to teach people to drive stick on the cars we have now. Supra's and turboed cars are way to powerful to teach someone "clutch management".

CaptRobThePirate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptRobThePirate

I just got the new Honda CR-Z and I made darn sure it was a 6-speed! I also have a motorcycle and eventually I want to learn to fly a plane. I'm making it a goal in life to learn how to operate as many vehicles as possible, that way when the zombie apocalypse comes I'll be prepared.

P.S. When I do have to reluctantly drive an automatic, my foot still instinctively hits the floor where the clutch should be and my hand goes right for where the stick should be. :=]

~CaptRob
http://www.youtube.com/procrastinationpics

314edpiper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 314edpiper

I may be a minority here, but I believe that ALL drivers should be able to do 3 things before they get their license.
1. Drive a stick
2. Change a tire
3. check and add all fluids to their car.
Being able to do those 3 things would cut down on stranded motorists by at least 50%. It would be more, but just because people know how to do those things doesn't mean they would.

I would say 'Good day,' but 'SUCK IT" sounds better...

314edpiper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 314edpiper

You go! I would like to learn to fly as well, just one issue though...small planes scare me a bit. I flew in a 10 seater jet from Palm Springs to LAX and was freaked out because I didn't realize small planes fishtail in cross winds.

CaptRobThePirate wrote:I just got the new Honda CR-Z and I made darn sure it was a 6-speed! I also have a motorcycle and eventually I want to learn to fly a plane. I'm making it a goal in life to learn how to operate as many vehicles as possible, that way when the zombie apocalypse comes I'll be prepared.

P.S. When I do have to reluctantly drive an automatic, my foot still instinctively hits the floor where the clutch should be and my hand goes right for where the stick should be. :=]

I would say 'Good day,' but 'SUCK IT" sounds better...

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

Yes, and I get better gas mileage then friends that drive the same year and model of vehicle.
I've owned more than 10 cars in my life, and only one had an automatic transmission.

mrh3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrh3

In order to survive in adulthood you need to know how to play cards, drink coffee, and drive a stick...or at least that is what my mom told me...I still can't play cards.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

My first new car (1985 Celica) was a stick. I bought it having only driven manual once in a Citation that had a cable clucth. My dad drove the Celica home. I loved the hydraulic clucth and have been buying stick ever since. Love it.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

No, but I can throw one.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

A proper driver's automobile has two doors, two seats, a removable top and a manual transmission.

There is no such thing as a "sports sedan."

Clarkeaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clarkeaj

I will never drive an automatic again. I like the ability to choose what gear I want the car in and control what the car does.

Plus who'd want to steal my car then. A thief would look at it and go "Bundle of Crops, I can't drive this" They'd close the door and steal the automatic version.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

I've never owned one but a friend taught me how on his car. I don't know if I could do it now, but the theory behind it was simple.

rtameo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rtameo

I have taught three people to drive stick on my car, a 1992 Porsche 968 which is lovingly referred to as the Ghetto Porsche. It has a super heavy clutch, so if you can learn on that, everything else is easy! I got a motorcycle last year, and now I want a car with a true sequential manual transmission (not an "auto-stick").

luvche21

quality posts: 6 Private Messages luvche21

By drive do you mean fly, and by stick do you mean broom? Yes.

mhicks04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhicks04

I love driving manual trans, I drove one for a few years then had to sell and get something cheap so now im stuck with an automatic, got 08 ninja 650R and 80 GS550 though so I still get my fix every once in a while! :]

RogerRabt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RogerRabt

Yeah... and can double-clutch too.

Best woots: 7/12/2007 3xRandom b-day carp
6/1/2007 Be The Screaming Monkey, a Woot Tee
4/27/2007 Screaming Monkey with Black Woot Cape !Wootoff!
10/11/2006 Archos AV500 30GB Portable Media Player
7/7/2006 Magellan RoadMate 360 GPS Navigation System

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
314edpiper wrote:I may be a minority here, but I believe that ALL drivers should be able to do 3 things before they get their license.
1. Drive a stick
2. Change a tire
3. check and add all fluids to their car.
Being able to do those 3 things would cut down on stranded motorists by at least 50%.

I would amend "change a tire" to include "change a tire without lying under your car and sticking your legs out on the highway, you OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PWNIES OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG. I can't believe how many times I see this.

I don't get the love for manuals. Maybe I'm just too utilitarian with my cars, but I've never cared about shifting gears.