12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

woncoolone

quality posts: 618 Private Messages woncoolone

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins

"Animal" means it won't get clogged with hair? We're still trying to figure out how to vacuum my daughter's room: apparently, long human hairs are fatal to many vacuums. Anyone know if this would work?

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

RoshT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RoshT

I bought this model back in March from Sears. It works really well at getting dog hair and anything else that comes in its path. However, today I had to drop it off at Sears for repairs. The beater bar/brush stopped spinning. The people at the repair shop said it was a common occurrence. Dyson is pretty tough to get a hold of on the phone. But once you get through the people seem competent. The office I got a hold of was in Chicago, IL. Anyways, it's a good vacuum cleaner...when it works.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

This model is more powerful and more effective than the DC25 Ball model, according to tests done by one of the magazines I read. Could have been consumer reports or Pop Sci.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

I got all excited for a moment because I thought the Segway is on sale for $299... Oh well.

These Dysons all look so industrial, without the warmth of, say, a Hoover.

Speaking of Segways ... given its failure to catch on as predicted by inventor Dean Kamen, I fully expect to see them on Woot in about 3 years.

dsjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsjim

I think this is a great buy. I bought the original Dyson on Woot several years ago and it's been the best vac I've ever had. And it's still running like a champ, even though it was a refurb. Anyone looking for a good vac I say go for this!

atm153

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atm153

599.99 new on Amazon.

Link

ajmartinez51

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ajmartinez51

I own this model, picked up from the local Best Buy as an open box. With two dogs, two kids, and longer carpet, this vac works very well. The wand is a bit clunky, but this isn't designed to replace a canister style vac. The amount of dirt, hair and dust that Dysons suck up vs. other brands is impressive and disturbing. I've had ours for about 3 years, and have had no problems.

textunclear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages textunclear

This thing sure does suck... In a good way that is ;-)

saltysteele

quality posts: 4 Private Messages saltysteele

this one is great on pet hair, and it will get everything out the carpet.

plus, it's fun to watch the stuff swirl around in the chamber. sometimes we turn the tv off and all gather around the dyson watching it while sipping cocoa

zoltar1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoltar1965
jeffiekins wrote:"Animal" means it won't get clogged with hair? We're still trying to figure out how to vacuum my daughter's room: apparently, long human hairs are fatal to many vacuums. Anyone know if this would work?

These vacuums pick up all kinds of hair and fuzz. I have my animal for 8 years and still works great. Great if you have children.

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

The amount of hair my 4 Malamutes and 2 cats put out was enough to kill 7 vacuums, including a rather pricey Oreck. So, (cough), will the Dyson Animal survive my house?

Okay, a caveat -- one vacuum was destroyed when it turned on and a hapless mouse was in the beater bar. Yeah, nasty.

www.howlingdead.com

mavsman78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mavsman78

I've had the DC17 for almost three years (previous woot) and it's been awesome! I thought Dyson's were overpriced and overrated before I owned it, not anymore. I think the only difference between this Dyson and the one I have is the extra attachments.

I endorse this woot.

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

I really want to buy this vacuum, but I am worried about the warranty. If you buy new it is 5 years. That is what you are really paying the extra money to get, security. Yes, you could buy an aftermarket warranty. I had good experiences and nightmares. Dyson does stand behind their warranties according to most web sites. If woot would do a 2 or 3 year, I would pull the trigger. I am afraid, even Dyson knows these things are good for about a year or 2, that is why they have so many refurbished units. A lot of refurb is buyer remorse or just wasn't right. Most were never broken, but many were and fixed. I may just wait for a new one to come with the full warranty. With a 20% off coupon and sale. I may be able to get one new around $350, with the 5 year warranty.

RoshT

jeffiekins wrote:"Animal" means it won't get clogged with hair? We're still trying to figure out how to vacuum my daughter's room: apparently, long human hairs are fatal to many vacuums. Anyone know if this would work?

I own this model. I haven't seen any hair clogging the machine but it does accumulate heavily around the beater bar/brush. Once a week or so I have to remove quite a bit of entangled hair. It's pretty easy to remove but it does get annoying. I'm sure this happens with just about any vacuum. Best wishes!

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69
RoshT wrote:I bought this model back in March from Sears. It works really well at getting dog hair and anything else that comes in its path. However, today I had to drop it off at Sears for repairs. The beater bar/brush stopped spinning. The people at the repair shop said it was a common occurrence. Dyson is pretty tough to get a hold of on the phone. But once you get through the people seem competent. The office I got a hold of was in Chicago, IL. Anyways, it's a good vacuum cleaner...when it works.

Exactly. You really need the 5 year warranty for this money.

Hokiepoker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Hokiepoker
skywarrior3 wrote:The amount of hair my 4 Malamutes and 2 cats put out was enough to kill 7 vacuums, including a rather pricey Oreck. So, (cough), will the Dyson Animal survive my house?

Okay, a caveat -- one vacuum was destroyed when it turned on and a hapless mouse was in the beater bar. Yeah, nasty.

I have 3 persians and this Dyson.. the DC28 Animal...buy it.. you can thank me later!!!

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

FYI, rumors have been flying around for years that using Dyson vacuums will void your carpet's warranty. Apparently, the beater brushes are extra rough on the fibers. Only one or two companies specifically forbids Dyson in their warranty, i.e. Unique Carpets LTD, but many carpet sellers and cleaners tell buyers to avoid Dysons. Do a Google search on "dyson carpet void warranty." I don't know if this is mere rumor, but it's something to consider.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

Guess they have an issue with clogged filters... here is a fix.

Different filter (pre-motor) and how to clean it.

vilewhitemeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vilewhitemeat

HAVE HAD ONE FOR A YEAR NOW...GREAT MACHINE...THE BEST THING TO DO, IS VACUUM THE ROOM WITH YOUR CURRENT VAC. AND THEN FOLLOW IT UP BY THE DYSON...SEE THE DIFFERENCE!

theherbshack

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theherbshack
skywarrior3 wrote:The amount of hair my 4 Malamutes and 2 cats put out was enough to kill 7 vacuums, including a rather pricey Oreck. So, (cough), will the Dyson Animal survive my house?

Sounds like you need much more than a vacuum!

Waker1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Waker1

I paid about $285 for this very vacuum but that was with a bunch of coupons and an employee discount.

It is an awesome vacuum; certainly the most powerful I've ever owned but it's not w/out problems.

1. The filters can be finicky when putting them back in after cleaning them. Take your time and slide the casings until they go back in place where you found them.

2. The extension handle/wand is small in diameter. This allows for some clogs if you get a stiff price tag or piece of plastic stuck in there. Keep a wire hanger around for "snaking" the handle if it becomes an issue. Usually the vacuum is powerful enough to force everything through but I've had two clogs in the past year.

3. The debris opening behind the rollers is also on the small side. Last week the rollers finally had enough random string around them to "grab" a wad of pet fur and clog the opening. It was a simple finger battle to unwind it all and problem solved!

4. This vac is heavy and can be hard to push. I'm pretty big so I enjoy the workout but my sisters and wife don't appreciate the stress of pushing it around. Believe in the air muscle! You will during the first use!

Even with these four things I still wholeheartedly recommend this vacuum for this price. The attachments are great, the cord is long and the whole thing is a beast!

Woot, Thank you for the crash course in formatting!

theherbshack

I will say, as a proud Dyson owner, they're worth EVERY penny!

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3
theherbshack wrote:Sounds like you need much more than a vacuum!

A mouse trap too, I suppose. The best we've been able to do is use the shop vacs on the hair. I really want a real vacuum, though.

www.howlingdead.com

bbjtx1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbjtx1

What kind of experiences have people had with refurb. dyson's?

theherbshack

skywarrior3 wrote:A mouse trap too, I suppose. The best we've been able to do is use the shop vacs on the hair. I really want a real vacuum, though.

Don't take it personal. I couldn't resist! And you opened that door pretty wide!

A real vacuum? IMHO a Dyson is as real as it gets.

Waker1

todaresq wrote:Guess they have an issue with clogged filters... here is a fix.

Different filter (pre-motor) and how to clean it.

Yeah, and all of this is very clearly stated on the vacuum and in the manual you get with the vacuum. I cannot abide stupid people. The proof they are among us is that this video had to be made!!! I can't be the only one that goes nuts seeing this type of thing. The instructions actually show the pictures for cleaning the filters and recommend doing so monthly depending on your cleaning needs. I have 4 shedding dogs. Therefore I clean the filter monthly like Dyson recommends!!!

peaceetc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages peaceetc

I've had a refurbished DC07 for about 4 years now. I have both cats and dogs, and the Dyson has no trouble with all that hair they leave behind. I wouldn't trade it for another brand.

Of course, now that I've written that, it will break tomorrow. ;)

BTW, why does today's Woot Digest (in the Monte/Mortimer section) mention a hidden Bundle of Crops somewhere on the site? Is Woot trying to drive me insane? Because that is a very short trip, guys.

I've won a lot of bags of crud. Envy me.

Waker1

RoshT wrote:I own this model. I haven't seen any hair clogging the machine but it does accumulate heavily around the beater bar/brush. Once a week or so I have to remove quite a bit of entangled hair. It pretty easy to remove but it does get annoying. I'm sure this happens with just about any vacuum. Best wishes!

Same experience here. I keep a small pair of dedicated scissors that are used to cut the buildup in four even places (imagine slicing the bar in half and then half the other way) along the brush bar and then it get sucked up when I turn it on! It takes about 10 seconds as opposed to the 2-5 minutes I would usually spend.

RoshT

mrsly69 wrote:Exactly. You really need the 5 year warranty for this money.

I agree, especially considering the base price for vacuum cleaner repairs at Sears in my town is $79.99.

gmm6797

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmm6797

IMHO, the original Yellow version (DC07 i believe) was much better on my hardwood floors... this does great on the carpet, but not so great in the very close corners...

It does work, never clogged, but my hardwoods are never as clean as the older model.

Also, the shield over the exhaust tends to get caught on things, so be careful with hanging comforters and other such items!

acidoverride

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acidoverride
sdc100 wrote:Speaking of Segways ... given its failure to catch on as predicted by inventor Dean Kamen, I fully expect to see them on Woot in about 3 years.

.......THEN what had been predicted by inventor Dean Kamen will have finally come true...lol.

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur
sdc100 wrote:FYI, rumors have been flying around for years that using Dyson vacuums will void your carpet's warranty. Apparently, the beater brushes are extra rough on the fibers. Only one or two companies specifically forbids Dyson in their warranty, i.e. Unique Carpets LTD, but many carpet sellers and cleaners tell buyers to avoid Dysons. Do a Google search on "dyson carpet void warranty." I don't know if this is mere rumor, but it's something to consider.

I did the research on this last time. As you say, only two manufacturers were on record as specifically saying the Dysons would void the warranty. The core issue is that a vacuum with a beater bar is reportedly rough on wool carpet fibers. If you don't have wool carpet, this is a non-issue. Models that don't have a beater bar, or which allow the user to disable it, should be fine for wool carpets.

Waker1

gmm6797 wrote:IMHO, the original Yellow version (DC07 i believe) was much better on my hardwood floors... this does great on the carpet, but not so great in the very close corners...

It does work, never clogged, but my hardwoods are never as clean as the older model.

Also, the shield over the exhaust tends to get caught on things, so be careful with hanging comforters and other such items!

I like using the wide hard floor attachment. It actually works a lot like the ball vacuum with it's slick turning. The only drawback is the heavy hose!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

love2cruise

quality posts: 6 Private Messages love2cruise

Sooooo excited! Thank you Woot! I've been researching and looking for vacuums, especially Dysons, all week long! This is an Animal, too!

Question: Squaretrade warranty on this is $45 for a year, is it worth it when it only covers for 6 more months than the included Dyson warranty? I've always wanted a Dyson, but lets be real - there are reports they can clog and any vacuum that deals with all the hair in my house usually doesn't last long. How do I know if there's a local technician? With large items, this seems more complicated.

lucindac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucindac

Awesome vacuum, I borrowed my friend's after I vacuumed my house with my wind tunnel. Could not believe how much dirt and pet hair etc it sucked up off my "clean" carpets.
Buy this machine! Best vacuum I ever used.

peaceetc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages peaceetc
love2cruise wrote:
Question: Squaretrade warranty on this is $45 for a year, is it worth it when it only covers for 6 more months than the included Dyson warranty? I've always wanted a Dyson, but lets be real - there are reports they can clog and any vacuum that deals with all the hair in my house usually doesn't last long. How do I know if there's a local technician? With large items, this seems more complicated.

My DC07 has several spots where a piece can be easily removed to clear any clogs. I'm guessing the 28 has something similar. In fact, Dyson's web site has walkthroughs (complete with pictures) to troubleshoot any problems.

That said, clogging really hasn't been a problem for me. Also, I've never had to have mine serviced, so I can't speak to that.

I've won a lot of bags of crud. Envy me.

secretagentman02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages secretagentman02
bbjtx1 wrote:What kind of experiences have people had with refurb. dyson's?

I bought one of these (refurbed) from Woot the last time they were up (not counting a woot-off appearance or two). So far, I've had no issues (except for my wife's hair getting caught in the beater bar, but that's not a problem unique to the Dyson and is easily fixed with scissors). The machine works as advertised and didn't show any signs of prior use. I've noticed it is a little more difficult to operate on a shorter pile carpet, but I blame that on the suction. Speaking of suction, I think mine is getting stuff out of the carpets that the previous owner's pets left behind! But the best part about getting a refurb? The cat is STILL playing with the box.

TL;DR Just as good as new, for a much better price.

-Lurker Extraordinaire