DennisWKam wrote:Finally, a long overdue update and resolution...
We just sent out an email explaining the situation. Sorry it took us so long, we had to get the right people together to get this issue fixed.
Dennis, while I'm not happy with the resolution, I do appreciate your efforts to communicate to us here. I have one last question, given the resolution.
It's clear that many buyers still want the TouchPad, but don't want to pay more than 99.9% of the other TouchPad buyers who bought from elsewhere. The trouble is: if we RMA these now, the problem becomes one of risk: we might not get a $99 TouchPad when the next batch hits.
So my question is: how long is the window open on the RMA front? If I could hold of on the return to see if I can get a $99 TouchPad in a few weeks, I'd prefer that option. If I don't get a $99 TouchPad, I might keep the one I bought from Woot. Any chance Woot can work with us on this aspect? Thx!