WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

bestof

As you've probably already noticed, our staff has been going nuts for the 2011 Woot Monkey Games, and we want to give all of you a chance to participate at home. That's why, each Friday in August (except for last Friday - blame the lawyers), we'll be giving you a chance to win one of the very special 2011 Monkey Games Monkeys. They're limited and dated and once they're gone, we won't ever do this batch again. Here's your chance to own a little part of Woot history! Just head inside, read the contest rules, and post a link to your video in the comments of this thread. Here's a little hint about what you'll be doing...

grounded

You guessed it, for Entry Period 1 you'll be competing in a paper airplane contest! The short version is that you'll be making and throwing a plane, and being judged on design style and the time the plane stays in the air. Film yourself and upload the footage to your favorite host-of-choice, then post the link in this thread before Thursday, August 18th at noon, at which point our judges will make the decision on who gets the medals, the shirts, and the limited edition 2011 Monkey Games monkey. Gold, Silver and Bronze will be awarded, and full rules and legal are right here so be sure to read them carefully before you start. Then, once you've done that, print it out and fold it up and throw it away... good luck!

coneplane

Quality Posts

McGurk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk

Woah Woah Woah... Don't everyone post at once!

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Can we just pretend I made my plane, it flew for 8 feet and crash? Have no way to film, but to be honest, change that to 4 feet!

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

I've got the best design! It stays in the air for quite a while AND does a loop-de-loop when thrown properly

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

klozitshoper wrote:Can we just pretend I made my plane, it flew for 8 feet and crash? Have no way to film, but to be honest, change that to 4 feet!

That is what I was thinking.

Except mine flew forever!

So, basically, I need one of my kids friends, who took film in HS or college to cheat for me.

Except it is too late. They all got real jobs and all the older ones are gone.

Woot, will you pretend I could still get ahold of Jay Kim, who killed me in a vampire movie he made in junior year at NYU?
Those clothes still have red dye on them.

I'm guessing with proper editing, it could fly from nyc to TX, or WA easily!

Really, don't drive me crazy!!!!! Limited edition monkeys????? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:Really, don't drive me crazy!!!!! Limited edition monkeys????? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just got them in too, they're a mix of hideous, wonderful and SO LIMITED.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Limited hideous wonderful monkeys! Sounds perfect! But can they fly as far as my monkey piloted paper airplane?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

agingdragqueen

Staff

ckeilah wrote:Limited hideous wonderful monkeys! Sounds perfect! But can they fly as far as my monkey piloted paper airplane?

Send evidence and we'll see if you're speaking the truth!

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

This is 3rd place entry if I ever saw one!
Click here!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

agingdragqueen wrote:We just got them in too, they're a mix of hideous, wonderful and SO LIMITED.

Evil.

Woot is evil!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

fes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fes

I've got a plane that can likely out-distance everyone else, but I don't know if it would spend the most time in the air. Hmm. I don't think I'll be getting much work done in the early part of the week while some test runs are made. hyuk.

bsmith1

fes wrote:I've got a plane that can likely out-distance everyone else, but I don't know if it would spend the most time in the air. Hmm. I don't think I'll be getting much work done in the early part of the week while some test runs are made. hyuk.

So you're saying length is more important than the duration?

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Working on my entry! Just have to wait for my wife to get home to film the flight (or fall) of this guy.

responseataol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages responseataol

Here we are woot! My video and picture - from my office building stairway, some 20 floors up, my plane made it super far!! I hope I win, and good luck to the other contestants!

- responseataol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

heres my video!

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj
responseataol wrote:Here we are woot! My video and picture - from my office building stairway, some 20 floors up, my plane made it super far!! I hope I win, and good luck to the other contestants!

- responseataol

Monkey Games Official Rules wrote:ENTRY PERIOD 1 JUDGING: All eligible Entries received by Sponsor for Entry Period 1 will be judged by a panel of qualified judges on or about the date specified in the chart above based on the following criteria: design and detail of paper airplane (50%), and longest length of time airplane is in the air from one throw that takes place from level ground (50%).

Sure you wanted to be smart and throw it off a building, but you forgot to read the rules.

responseataol

skippykj wrote:Sure you wanted to be smart and throw it off a building, but you forgot to read the rules.

hey, my building's grounds are completely level =)

on second thought - staff can we get a ruling as to whether my video is disqualified? thanks!

bsmith1

responseataol wrote:Here we are woot! My video and picture - from my office building stairway, some 20 floors up, my plane made it super far!! I hope I win, and good luck to the other contestants!
heres my video!

I sure hope you went down and found it to be recycled! Littering is a $500 fee in my state! ;)

Sweet flight, though. Did you put a secret message inside it for someone to find?

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

responseataol wrote:hey, my building's grounds are completely level =)

on second thought - staff can we get a ruling as to whether my video is disqualified? thanks!

I'm not one of the judges so they'll have to get back to you, but considering what we had to go through with the lawyer to get those rules, you might want to make another video before Thursday... or perhaps try hula hooping instead?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

epixinc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages epixinc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBcQIlmt7_I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Think my kittens thoroughly enjoyed this event.

iWoot.alot
Board of Circuits 6/15/11, 9/14/11, 3/23/12, 4/26/12

agingdragqueen

Staff

Slydon wrote:I'm not one of the judges so they'll have to get back to you, but considering what we had to go through with the lawyer to get those rules, you might want to make another video before Thursday... or perhaps try hula hooping instead?

I'm going to have to agree with Slydon. Our buzz-killing lawyers and detailed other participants would not like us to approve of it though we personally think it's awesome.

responseataol

agingdragqueen wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Slydon. Our buzz-killing lawyers and detailed other participants would not like us to approve of it though we personally think it's awesome.

Thank you thank you - I hope you will accept my 2nd attempt at a video, on level floor! And give a big nanernanernaner to your lawyers!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

video! =)

irpip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages irpip

here's my entry. in case you can't read my crappy handwriting, the plane is named "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

video: here

bsmith1

irpip wrote:
video: here

I haven't seen CGI like that since the feather in Forrest Gump! Nice!

responseataol

irpip wrote:here's my entry. in case you can't read my crappy handwriting, the plane is named "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

your plane is super super cool! though, I believe, according to the blood sucking lawyers, your posting was a bit late - edit - im an poooony, 8/18/11 so your good!!

bsmith1 wrote:I sure hope you went down and found it to be recycled! Littering is a $500 fee in my state! ;)

Sweet flight, though. Did you put a secret message inside it for someone to find?

I actually did - maybe I'll get an email from someone who caught it =)

bluejester

So here is my entry:

Video

Sorry it gets a little lost in the sun, but I think you can see it do a backflip and a bit of the landing before the happens.

Sorry, phone is kinda the only recording device I have =( But I had fun making it!

sjyokel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sjyokel

Here's my contribution to the games! Remember...it's not the length, it's what you can do with it. In this case, a few loops and a crash landing. At least the artwork is creative...

Video here[/url}

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/34763039@N00/6054329635/]

Video 70 0 00 00-01 by sjyokel13, on Flickr

Slydon

Staff

We've got enough in here that there might be some non-medal winners EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE ALL WINNERS IN OUR HEARTS so keep in mind that we've got two more contests coming up, and if you don't place here, maybe you'll score there instead!

agingdragqueen

Staff

Please keep in mind the cut off for entry is noon CST today! We'll announce the winners tomorrow in the blog when we announce the new chance to win!

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

I know my entry is coming in very close to the wire but better late than never, right?

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you:

The Monkey Glider!

See Monkey Glider Fly

bsmith1

Slydon wrote:We've got enough in here that there might be some non-medal winners...

You don't have to rub it in! I was hoping to get 3rd if there was limited participation, but there are some pretty sweet planes now.

I probably disqualified myself by "digitally altering" my video by adding sound effects anyway. Oh well. I'm ready for the rubber band challenge!

thecommissioner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecommissioner

Staff

I would like to thank each and every one of you for your submissions. Sadly, the time for our first two events has come to a close. We had 6 qualified entries for the Paper Plane contest and 2 for the Hula Hoop contest. Winners will be posted and tomorrow along with the next community challenge. A team of unbiased Woot! Monkeys and I will be reviewing the entries.

We look forward to seeing how you all fare in the final two contest. Stay tuned…

dispute? questions? commissioner@woot.com

Slydon

Staff

thecommissioner wrote:I would like to thank each and every one of you for your submissions. Sadly, the time for our first two events has come to a close. We had 6 qualified entries for the Paper Plane contest and 2 for the Hula Hoop contest. Winners will be posted and tomorrow along with the next community challenge. A team of unbiased Woot! Monkeys and I will be reviewing the entries.

We look forward to seeing how you all fare in the final two contest. Stay tuned…

The Commissioner is lacking a staff bar, so I'd like to vouch for them, just so everyone knows they're real.

spilzer

thecommissioner wrote:I would like to thank each and every one of you for your submissions. Sadly, the time for our first two events has come to a close. We had 6 qualified entries for the Paper Plane contest and 2 for the Hula Hoop contest. Winners will be posted and tomorrow along with the next community challenge. A team of unbiased Woot! Monkeys and I will be reviewing the entries.

Um, does that mean that my entry doesn't count?

Pretty sure I got it in before noon CST...just sayin'.

bluejester

Egads! I just realized that the photos I posted up are way too big!

Curse my inability to figure out how to reformat stuff to fit! I hope this doesn't kill my chances....=(

bsmith1

bluejester wrote:Egads! I just realized that the photos I posted up are way too big!

Curse my inability to figure out how to reformat stuff to fit! I hope this doesn't kill my chances....=(

You can reply to this message to see how I like to do it.
[ IMG=50%x50%]Your pic url here[ /img]

I'm sure the judges are smart enough to know how to see the whole pic, so I don't think it'll cost you. Nice job, by the way.

thecommissioner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecommissioner

Staff

spilzer wrote:Um, does that mean that my entry doesn't count?

Pretty sure I got it in before noon CST...just sayin'.

Sorry, new at this job and poor at counting. Final total was 8 entries with one DQ'd because of the building thing, but responseataol made it up to us.

dispute? questions? commissioner@woot.com

spilzer

thecommissioner wrote:Sorry, new at this job and poor at counting. Final total was 8 entries with one DQ'd because of the building thing, but responseataol made it up to us.

No worries, I know how the new job thing goes. You're doing great so far, keep it up! Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to hearing about the winners tomorrow.

Yay!

ckeilah

Apparently I posted this in the wrong forum too! Egads! I am a limited, hideous, wonderful (in the sense that even I wonder what the Hell I am doing) woot!monkey....

Oh CARP! I totally spaced posting my entry for a 4hr Woot Monkey on Paper Airplane flight which started and ended on level ground!! I'm a dumbass woot!monkey. :-(

Well, here is what I had hoped would win me a special edition GREEN Woot!Monkey. Woot!Monkey Brown would have my eye if I didn't share his limited, hideous wonderful 4hr paper airplane flight.

edit: bad video edit deleted, see next post

ckeilah

Getting up to speed on this newfangled digital editing stuff. It ain't like reel to reel anymore. ;-P

Here's what should have been my entry, if I weren't such a rare braindead woot!monkey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9yEsodgMyU

Of course, this is only the TRAILER for the full-length FEATURE of Woot!Monkey Brown Rides the Paper Airplane of Doom, which runs for approximately 4 hours; i.e. the full flight time. ;-)