Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

After announcing yesterday that it was discontinuing its TouchPad tablet and exploring "strategic alternatives" to its PC manufacturing business, electronics giant HP has gone into hiding to "sort of get my head together", it said in a statement released through a publicist today.

"First, much love to my fans, and don't worry about me," the multinational corporation said in the brief but rambling announcement. "I'm not crazy. I'm not on drugs. I just needed a little time to step away from the insanity, be alone with my thoughts for a little while, and figure out who I am again."

Rumors about the HP's fragile emotional state had begun flying when the company failed to make a scheduled nightclub appearance in Atlantic City last night. By morning, Twitter was ablaze with so-called "#HPsightings", including reports from South Africa, Paris, and the Greek island of Naxos.

The statement expressed amusement at the #HPsightings phenomenon, but added "You haven't found me yet, and I promise you, you won't. Please stop trying. I'll be back in a little while. And you'll be seeing more of me once I get my mind straight again.

"But probably not that much more."

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205

So, when is Woot going to be selling the TouchPad again?

jerralb

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jerralb

Maybe the George Costanza of the business world can take up architecture or marine biology.

TavisJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TavisJohn

I was hoping to stretch my Palm Pre (Purchased on release day on Spring) use for a while longer... But I may have to switch to Android sooner than I planned.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

You hate to see the inevitable downward spiral, but you just can't turn away. Who among us will be surprised when we hear that HP was found dead in its London home?

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser
crisss1205 wrote:So, when is Woot going to be selling the TouchPad again?

I would rather know when will the Pre3 show up, since it won't be sold by ATT?

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap

My 32GB Touchpad is going back to Staples tomorrow for a full refund. Will be picking up a Xoom or Galaxy 10.1 that has useful apps & a future.

When all of the returns show up on Woot! as refurbs for $150, I'll buy one for the family to use around the house as an entertainment/browser system.

Crap

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
smittypap wrote:My 32GB Touchpad is going back to Staples tomorrow for a full refund. Will be picking up a Xoom or Galaxy 10.1 that has useful apps & a future.

When all of the returns show up on Woot! as refurbs for $150, I'll buy one for the family to use around the house as an entertainment/browser system.

Just showed up on BestBuy Canada for $99 brand new!! ($149 for 32GB)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-16gb-touchpad-with-wi-fi-16gb-wifi/10173116.aspx?

Twicks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twicks
smittypap wrote:My 32GB Touchpad is going back to Staples tomorrow for a full refund. Will be picking up a Xoom or Galaxy 10.1 that has useful apps & a future.

Maybe not. If you want to get value for your money as well as continued support for years to come, go for the original, the iPad. Why buy second best for the same price? And puh-leeze don't give me the "but it plays flash" or "but Android is open" rebuttals. The first is simply disingenuous because how many millions of iDevice users give a heck when the occasional flash site doesn't do anything? The second is just lack of understanding the difference between what you consider open and what Google considers open.

Or you could wait for the real iPad killer, the Amazon device.

dulinor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dulinor

This would be funnier if the recent Woot touchpad sale didn't turn out to be the worst possible time/place to order one. (No returns, delayed shipment so they arrived after the cancelation announcement, etc.)

Teach me to try to save a buck...

BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM
Twicks wrote:Maybe not. If you want to get value for your money as well as continued support for years to come, go for the original, the iPad. Why buy second best for the same price? And puh-leeze don't give me the "but it plays flash" or "but Android is open" rebuttals. The first is simply disingenuous because how many millions of iDevice users give a heck when the occasional flash site doesn't do anything?

But not everyone is "millions of iDevice users" -- if there's some specific site that someone goes to that uses Flash, then for that person lack of Flash is most definitely a sound argument. Not having access to smittypap's browser history (or at least not being willing to admit it publically, mwa-hah-hahaa), I can't say if that's the case for him -- can you?

The second is just lack of understanding the difference between what you consider open and what Google considers open.

Calling it "open" is arguably wrong, sure, particularly for 3.x. But focusing on nomenclature only obscures the real point of that argument: on the n-dimensional continuum between fully closed in every way and fully open in every way, you'd have a hard time arguing that Android is not significantly "more open" or pedantically "more nearly open" than iOS.

Although I have a hard time understanding why anyone really concerned about openness would be fanboying for Google instead of getting, say, a WeTab (runs MeeGo, a real open system). But then, I'm just one of those crazy Maemo fans still battling my urges to take a chainsaw to Nokia HQ...

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

Turnerwife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turnerwife

Instead of trying your best to make funny out of the HP announcement, I would much rather see how Woot decided to do the right thing and take back any just purchased touchpads. Unfortunately for Woot, HP's announcement and Woot's no return policy just costed both of them future business from me. Shame on me for not verifying a return policy in the first place.

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios
Turnerwife wrote:Instead of trying your best to make funny out of the HP announcement, I would much rather see how Woot decided to do the right thing and take back any just purchased touchpads. Unfortunately for Woot, HP's announcement and Woot's no return policy just costed both of them future business from me. Shame on me for not verifying a return policy in the first place.

Personally, I don't see why you feel that Woot! is somehow expected to offer you a refund because the original manufacturer is no longer vested in their product. Hate to break it to you, but you don't often see "brand spanking new" products on Woot! for a reason. They sell off old, leftover stock like its no one's business (except their own of course, and they do so very well). Most everyone who buys off this site knows what they're getting into. Would you expect some other retailer to take it back? Maybe if your particular specimen was damaged on arrival or something, you might have a claim. But you picked your product, you had plenty of opportunity to do your research about it (and to that, I say thank you all you wonderful commentators with positive and negative reviews to help those of us thinking about a purchase ultimately decide which way to go) and the company that originally made it realized they'd made a mistake. Blame HP, not Woot!. Woot!, I love you like a sweet, sweet, capitalist stuffed piggy that I hold close when I go to sleep every night. That's not weird, is it?