birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

Totally useless without USB 3.0 ports.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

While I wait for Woot to figure out how to take orders again...

Does anyone know if this will work with a Mac?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
sdc100 wrote:I'm watching CNN right now and they just aired an HP TouchPad WebOS ad ("starting at $399"). I thought that they were being sold for $99...

We were asked in the PWNIES! not to talk about the Touchpad and most of our posts regarding it were deleted, otherwise I'd respond to this one in more detail. In short, I'm kinda happy HP is getting out of the market(turning it over to someone else). I sure hope they stop making printers they are a big headache for me as their software for all in ones is ridiculous bloatware.

HP has misfired all the time since buying Compaq. This All-in-one for instance, there isn't that big of market for it. It takes a lot more R&D to make these than just a plain desktop, they are not 'cool' like an imac yet they cost nearly as much when they debut. Furthermore, they have tons of different versions of them. There is really no 'identity' built since they change all the time.

As far as the Touchpads, HP will be selling more on their website on Monday and throughout the week as retailers return their merchandise to HP. You can sign up to be notified when they are in stock on their website.

theguruguys

3arthb3nd3r wrote:i had the 300-1025 of this machine, refurbished, babied the heck out of it...and after seven months the motherboard fried. (and yes, it was in a surge protector)

also, when i got the machine open, i found the TV tuner (which didnt work, i thought i'd had a bad cable connection) was plugged into the WRONG input and the cord for ethernet was just dangling there.

so just get a new motherboard, right? wrong, it's a discontinued model now and the parts are all used and ridiculously overpriced. $350 for a used part? i'll just go get a non-HP machine.

never buying anything from HP again, business OR pleasure. (only free things ;])

don't get me wrong, it was a good machine when it was functional, i really liked that machine...but just be wary of situations like mine, HP seems to run a loose ship in assembly. i was very disappointed.

I've had two of my customer's touchsmart pc's go bad beyond feasible repair. The lack of repair / updatability is the main reason I discourage these all-in-one (of any brand). Laptops or in a similar category, but they sell A LOT more laptops and the parts for them are usually shared across a wider range of products so even fixing a laptop can usually be done a lot cheaper.

den6104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages den6104

Picked a few tablets up at Wal-mart yesterday for a song $99-16gb and $149-32gb ( picked up a few of both). So far not really impressed, but I can do e-mail and if they are not going to get many more apps, it's a good picture frame, that plays a ton of songs, oh and they do have a kindle app for it.

rtameo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rtameo

You know you played some Minesweeper after reading the write-up. It's okay. We won't judge you.

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman
lll0228 wrote:...The computer that landed people on the moon didn't even have a fraction if this power. This is m ore than enough fit 90+% of the normal home and even office users.

You point is valid, but kind of silly. Any current programmable calculator, your cell phone, and some TV remotes have computers more powerful than "the computer that landed people on the moon". Computers have come a LONG way in 40 years.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

HP much better in desktop quality in the past year, I'm assuming it included all-in-ones, on PC Magazine's annual readers' choice awards survey for 2011 (yes, I'm shocked too):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384244,00.asp

$399.99 here today vs.froogled

about.com decent in review:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/allinonepcs/gr/HP-TouchSmart-310-1020.htm

reviews on the hp site "not sold anymore":
http://reviews.shopping.hp.com/8843/BT417AA_BVEP_ABA/hp-touchsmart-310-1020-desktop-pc-reviews/reviews.htm

Dower Chin's video "opening it" review--bought for his parents:
http://www.dowerchin.com/2011/02/25/hp-touchsmart-310-1020-unboxing-and-initial-review/

Support page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4350646&task=&

including manuals page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4350646&task=&

CathyInNH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CathyInNH

My husband got me one at Christmas to replace an aging laptop (which sat on the desk 99% of the time anyway). LOVE it. For those that say it's underpowered, for web browsing, it's fine. Even runs Pinnacle Studio great! BEST computer I've had. PLUS he paid $600 at Staples!

"The Wife"

kimmp12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimmp12

Hm, I've been thinking about getting one of these, the little one would have a blast (with proper hand washing prior to touching the computer). I actually had some sitting in a shopping cart last night on HP's site (I get a discount through work.). I never ordered it. May just get this!

jai803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jai803
El Marko wrote:Not for me. Two weeks ago I pull the trigger on Woot for the TouchPad, found it buggy and not ready for prime time, asked for a refund and Woot refers me to HP.

NOT what I expect from Woot.

That is exactly what you should have expected had you bothered to read the FAQ.

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
Wholesaleforless wrote:I can vouch for that. I have had a dozen in the last 3-4 years. None has lasted 3 months.

Let me see if I've got this straight. You've "had a dozen in the past 3-4 years and none has lasted 3 months". How's that old saying go? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me a dozen times ......HMMMM. One questions comes to mind. WHY YOU KEEP BUYIN THEM DUDE????

grumblegrumble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumblegrumble

As Jar-Jar used to always say, no VESA no meesa.

It's seems to have decent specs for the price, but I'd only use a touch screen all-in-one if it was on a monitor arm. I have an old EEEtop on an arm in the kitchen that's weak on CPU and wouldn't mind replacing it but it has to be VESA mountable.

realitik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages realitik

Can someone explain HP to me?
I get that the TouchPad didn't sell well in it's first month. But to give up on it that quickly was surprising.
Completely baffling in the same announcement this week is that they are completely exiting the PC business. That's right, the market leader in PC sales is leaving the business. It would be like Whirlpool announcing they are no longer making or selling appliances.
Expect lots of HP products at good prices on Woot!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

HP may spin off the PC business:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/hp/

btw1217

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btw1217

Anyone else having very long order processing times? I think the warranty expired while I'm waiting.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

Yes, the whole ordering system seems to be wonked. A friend and I both placed orders...Woot says we ordered one when we try to order again, but no email and it hasn't appeared in our list of Woots. Also, if you look at their Woot Stats it shows no sales since 7AM.

btw1217 wrote:Anyone else having very long order processing times? I think the warranty expired while I'm waiting.

threeeleven5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threeeleven5000

All i have to say is it is being sold again. Means it failed once. Hp is going under. I would not buuy this with a 90 day warranty. Motherboard goes out in 99 days.. SOrry thats it. Yoursz. Eat it. This is a hole lot of plastic for 400 dollarsa

kimmp12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimmp12
btw1217 wrote:Anyone else having very long order processing times? I think the warranty expired while I'm waiting.

Yup, been waiting for about an hour and still nothing.

parrotlander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parrotlander

Why no pics of the tower? I find it hard to believe that the processor and video card are in that monitor, but that is what I'm being told by the pics.

lhalliii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhalliii
Wholesaleforless wrote:I can vouch for that. I have had a dozen in the last 3-4 years. None has lasted 3 months.

..a very different experience. I've had nothing but HP/Compaq for the last 10 years. The failures I've had have all been due to software not hardware.

bbonacci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbonacci
parrotlander wrote:Why no pics of the tower? I find it hard to believe that the processor and video card are in that monitor, but that is what I'm being told by the pics.

You're joking right????? Look up All-In-One on the internet. So you think that woot is secretly hiding the tower from the pictures and when you get it, there will be one?
Classic!

GleeGuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GleeGuy

So, is that 256mb video RAM dedicated, or is it just a normal shared setup?

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
threeeleven5000 wrote:All i have to say is it is being sold again. Means it failed once. Hp is going under. I would not buuy this with a 90 day warranty. Motherboard goes out in 99 days.. SOrry thats it. Yoursz. Eat it. This is a hole lot of plastic for 400 dollarsa

What?

Ronski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ronski

Any small business owners out there? Would this work good as a POS? Any software recomendations?

Shelby03681

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shelby03681

Can anyone tell me why my order status has said "you order is processing. Should be just a bit now" for the past hour? It says it can take up to 20-30 minutes but I keep refreshing and it's still processing. Any ideas?

firethorne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firethorne

HP purchased Compaq... and ran their PC business into the ground

HP purchased Voodoo computers... and ran their high-end laptop & PC business into the ground

HP purchased Palm... and ran their cell phone business into the ground

Now, I know I'm harboring a bit of ill will toward HP right now since they canceled my $99 touchpad order. But the fact that they are having a $99 fire sale to cut their losses before (surprise) their tablet business is ran into the ground speaks volumes. I'll not buy HP again.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey guys, our developers are looking at the ordering problems now. If you don't see the order in My Account in about an hour, I'd say reorder. It won't let you order if you've already ordered the item. And if you are worried that you may have ordered 2, email service@woot.com and they can check for you.

Important note though: Service can't put in an order for you. You need to put in the order yourself. They can cancel but they can't initiate orders.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Shelby03681 wrote:Can anyone tell me why my order status has said "you order is processing. Should be just a bit now" for the past hour? It says it can take up to 20-30 minutes but I keep refreshing and it's still processing. Any ideas?

We've contacted the right peoples. They should be along to assist the issue momentarily. Thank you for your patience!

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

cgrayjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgrayjr
ROGETRAY wrote:We've contacted the right peoples. They should be along to assist everyone momentarily. Thank you for your patience!

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

This is why I came here.

Thanks.

kh99

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kh99
parrotlander wrote:Why no pics of the tower? I find it hard to believe that the processor and video card are in that monitor, but that is what I'm being told by the pics.

Yeah, it's basically a laptop in a slightly different package. That's why the "quality post" comment about the power supply is silly - the power supply is exactly what it needs to be, just like for a laptop.

bobthemedic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobthemedic

Bought one for my wife. She is tired of her Dell crashing on a daily basis. Have never had any trouble with my previous HP desktops. Goodbye Dell trash!

freetek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages freetek
Ronski wrote:Any small business owners out there? Would this work good as a POS? Any software recomendations?

Since this has HP's logo on it, I am pretty sure it is a POS (Piece Of S---)

Even their former excellent test equipment division, now called Agilent, has disassociated themselves with the 'computer' side.

Freedom is inversely proportional to the size of government.

theguruguys

Ronski wrote:Any small business owners out there? Would this work good as a POS? Any software recomendations?

From a specification standpoint it would work just fine. If you want to go free, OpenBravo POS is one of the most supported Open Source POS systems out there.

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
ionman wrote:You point is valid, but kind of silly. Any current programmable calculator, your cell phone, and some TV remotes have computers more powerful than "the computer that landed people on the moon". Computers have come a LONG way in 40 years.

Obviously. Being an electrical engineering lecturer, reading these complaints are just funny to me.

The computing power and software availability of this computer are more than enough for 90+% of the population, let alone businesses that don't need huge computing power beyond some spreadsheet and document preparation and some internet access. This is almost an overkill for all those.

And it's $399, including the touchscreen. What do people really want? Free everything?

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
birdoprey5 wrote:Totally useless without USB 3.0 ports.

"Totally useless"? Did you not do anything productive with any computer in the past few years without 3.0? If not, then it's not the computer's port's problem.

theguruguys

lll0228 wrote:"Totally useless"? Did you not do anything productive with any computer in the past few years without 3.0? If not, then it's not the computer's port's problem.

I repair computers as my full time job. I do not know of any customers of mine that uses a usb 3.0 device and personally I only have one external drive that I use it with. As you pointed out, what he said was nonsense.

YFZblu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages YFZblu

You've had one dozen HPs fail within three months of owning them?

1. I don't believe you
2. Even if you aren't lying, what kind of rube says "11 of these have failed, but I guess I'll get another one..."

skytechrep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skytechrep
cliveholloway wrote:Clever Woot, clever. I saw "HP" and "Touch" and went OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!

I said the same thing to myself and so did everyone that is a techie. The way people are buying them up I wonder if any will make it here. Some that have been able to get in at 99 / 149 are buying them 10 and 20 at a time. EBay hopefuls. Hope they crash and burn and cant sell a one for half what they paid.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
skytechrep wrote:I said the same thing to myself and so did everyone that is a techie. The way people are buying them up I wonder if any will make it here. Some that have been able to get in at 99 / 149 are buying them 10 and 20 at a time. EBay hopefuls. Hope they crash and burn and cant sell a one for half what they paid.

Have to agree with you. The reason they are selling at 99 and 149 is that is about what they are worth. With so many on the market after shipping and the Ebay/PayPal tax they are going to be lucky to break even.