+ Add a Comment

CAisBurning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CAisBurning

Who is getting them for $50, other than the lucky first few through Staples?

gidgiddonihah wrote:I cannot find a touchpad. Well to revise that statement:

I found the Touchpads at BN (Though with those reviews, I'm really hesitant to put 107 + Tax into BN's hands...), and several in the local Office Depot. The problem being is they are 140 bucks with tax, which is a slap in the face compared to the people who are getting them for 50$.

vudutek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vudutek
jnassour wrote:Warning. Woot has a no return policy. Warning Woot has a no return policy. I purchase received what looked like a TV from Woot and found out it was just a monitor. I am now stuck with 140 paper weight. They are refusing to do anything, I am shocked that Amazon can behave in this decpitive manner.

Warning. Failure to read even simple instructions, descriptions, and disclaimers may lead one to post repetitively on a users forum, somehow expecting a vendor to succumb to the pleas of the ignorant.

Grow up. Learn from your mistakes. Read this message better thatn you did for the product you purchased.

gidgiddonihah

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gidgiddonihah
CAisBurning wrote:Who is getting them for $50, other than the lucky first few through Staples?

That's what I was talking about. I called my staples this morning and they said that they had just sold out their stock with the 50$ deal last night. So either my town didnt want one, or they had a lot of stock and a lot of people got a 50$ touchpad.

Tyson

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49
rwiener wrote:how to honeycomb your tablet PLEASE!!!

This is a good tutorial
http://youtu.be/AnbikAdqKys

burhanistan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages burhanistan
joecooool wrote:I want to reiterate that there is no security for this device. Unlike the iPad and many other tablets, you can not password protect this tablet.

DO NOT LOSE IT.

DO NOT STORE PERSONAL INFO ON IT.

DON'T USE IT TO CHECK EMAIL.

DON"T USE IT FOR PERSONAL BANKING.

Eh, assuming one flashes a regular Android ROM on you can put a password protected lockscreen on it. You can also get several apps like AVG which have a remote wipe feature.

joecooool

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool
jhoff33 wrote:That's not exactly true and will only scare people who don't know any better.

If its not true, please tell me how I can secure my tablet because I sure haven't been able to find a way on any of the forums.

In fact they all say that you can't secure it.

hudsm9589

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hudsm9589
jnassour wrote:Warning. Woot has a no return policy. Warning Woot has a no return policy. I purchase received what looked like a TV from Woot and found out it was just a monitor. I am now stuck with 140 paper weight. They are refusing to do anything, I am shocked that Amazon can behave in this decpitive manner.

I'm shocked you cant read a description. Get assistance shopping online if you ever have any questions and always ask! I know the friendly woot staff tends to reply quickly!

burhanistan

joecooool wrote:If its not true, please tell me how I can secure my tablet because I sure haven't been able to find a way on any of the forums.

In fact they all say that you can't secure it.

Are you talking about the stock ROM out of the box? Again, if you put a better ROM on the tablet then you can secure it.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
jnassour wrote:Warning. Woot has a no return policy. Warning Woot has a no return policy. I purchase received what looked like a TV from Woot and found out it was just a monitor. I am now stuck with 140 paper weight. They are refusing to do anything, I am shocked that Amazon can behave in this manner.

Look at the bright side,your papers won't blow away now.

Dikaios

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dikaios
Cooter007 wrote:I can't get into clockwork, APX or anything. Blank screen and the PC will not recognize it..

Did you install the APX drivers? Have you used NVFlash before?

NoYes384

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoYes384
jnassour wrote:Warning. Woot has a no return policy. Warning Woot has a no return policy. I purchase received what looked like a TV from Woot and found out it was just a monitor. I am now stuck with 140 paper weight. They are refusing to do anything, I am shocked that Amazon can behave in this manner.

I know what you mean.
I just spent $20 for a football phone that I thought was a football. When I received it, I called footballphones.com and demanded my money back, and they said "NO." I can't believe a company that sells football phones would treat their customers who mistakenly buy their products so poorly. I will NOT be accidentally buying a football phone from them ever again!

swingbozo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swingbozo

I'm a little on the fence here. I'm not all that worried about installing a new booty boot thingy, I'm sure I can probably figure that out given enough gin...

I'm not exactly sure what I'd use if for though. Playing Farm Town on Facebook?

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Unlike those berating you for your inability to read a product description, I will instead berate you for lacking the ingenuity to fix your oversight by hooking up a cheap digital tuner to your paperweight thus making it a functioning TV.

As Bill Cosby once said, "As a man, I will eat my mistake, I don't care if I die."

joecooool

burhanistan wrote:Are you talking about the stock ROM out of the box? Again, if you put a better ROM on the tablet then you can secure it.

I'm running TNT lite.

None of the other ROM's I am aware of allow you to lock the device.

nambi1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nambi1
mrsly69 wrote:Not a great price for a major downgrade from an apple Ipad or Ipad2. The market is going through a major shake up. You will be getting these IPad knock offs for $100 in a few months. The war is over and Apple won. WOW, 10 years ago I would have said Apple was over. Steve Jobs should be given the keys to corporate America. I don't think I would buy this for $99. Maybe $69. LOL

I woul dbeg to differ on these comments. Apple may have helped create the tablet market by they in now way have won and the game is over. Just look at what android has done to the phone market, the tablet market is well related, and Apple's dependance on naive people is running thin.

Talesin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Talesin
joecooool wrote:I'm running TNT lite.

VEGAn-Tab. CyanogenMod. Anything with standard Android functionality.

burhanistan

joecooool wrote:I'm running TNT lite.

Sure they do. Google up "android lockscreen".

roebeet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages roebeet

About the security question....

I used Android tablets for "content consumption". Video, music, basic web browsing, ebooks, comics, Angry Birds etc. But secure? Absolutely not and it doesn't matter if it has a lockscreen on it or not. If you lost the device, a thief with some moderate tech skills will be able to get into your device, and eventually your data. This is especially the case with rooted devices, but even on stock it's certainly possible since the recovery image does not require a signed update. The data partition is not locked down, and the /sdcard partition uses FAT32 which has no security at all.

Stock is also affected by the "DroidDream" vulnerability (google it) which Viewsonic has yet to address. I have asked them many times about this, and I have been ignored so far.

I would never use my Android tablet for Banking or anything else where financial information is involved. The farthest I've gone is Facebook and forums, but those are things where I could change my password quickly, in a pinch.

Android, imo, is on par with a Windows 98 device - it has the illusion of security, but it's really just a smokescreen. Take it for what it's worth.

joecooool

roebeet wrote:About the security question....

I used Android tablets for "content consumption". Video, music, basic web browsing, ebooks, comics, Angry Birds etc. But secure? Absolutely not and it doesn't matter if it has a lockscreen on it or not. If you lost the device, a thief with some moderate tech skills will be able to get into your device, and eventually your data. This is especially the case with rooted devices, but even on stock it's certainly possible since the recovery image does not require a signed update. The data partition is not locked down, and the /sdcard partition uses FAT32 which has no security at all.

Stock is also affected by the "DroidDream" vulnerability (google it) which Viewsonic has yet to address. I have asked them many times about this, and I have been ignored so far.

I would never use my Android tablet for Banking or anything else where financial information is involved. The farthest I've gone is Facebook and forums, but those are things where I could change my password quickly, in a pinch.

Android, imo, is on par with a Windows 98 device - it has the illusion of security, but it's really just a smokescreen. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the answer. I have a question for you, I have TNT Lite and like it, are there any advantages to going to VEGAn Tab? I have clockwork mod already installed.

skytechrep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skytechrep

There are starting to be rumors that this Touch-pad fiasco is some sort of "para dyne", it has shown that the demand is there but many just are not gonna pay what the manufacturers want. I am not saying I agree, but they are noticing. A Nice 30-40% drop in tablet prices would be nice. And still they would make margin.

In the mean time woot lets see some $39.95 touch pads, new and warrantied

jpapanier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpapanier

The ViewSonic gTablet 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet has a really bad screen. From a company that makes monitors I would think they would use a better screen. Have to hold it just right to see screens on the web like You Tube. Not a good design at all. It does not work with some Lotus Notes E-mail. It was working with my Yahoo e-mail then just stopped. Keeps saying I don't have the right P/W? No cut and copy, paste. I would not recommend this device.

burhanistan

skytechrep wrote:There are starting to be rumors that this Touch-pad fiasco is some sort of "para dyne", it has shown that the demand is there but many just are not gonna pay what the manufacturers want. I am not saying I agree, but they are noticing. A Nice 30-40% drop in tablet prices would be nice. And still they would make margin.

In the mean time woot lets see some $39.95 touch pads, new and warrantied

The HP Touchpad fire sale was probably an anomaly in the greater scheme of the tablet market. Here's some spot on anaylsis:

What the huge sales of the $99 TouchPad tells us about iPad and the future of tablets

Also, what the heck is a "para dyne". Do you mean "paradigm shift"?

roebeet

joecooool wrote:Thanks for the answer. I have a question for you, I have TNT Lite and like it, are there any advantages to going to VEGAn Tab? I have clockwork mod already installed.

Just different interfaces - but other than that they are similar, support wise (neither is being developed anymore).

I heard than VEGAn-Tab (the Froyo one) does have one advantage, which is that it can run PvZ - no one knows what it is about its kernel that allows it to work. One of those "old is sometimes better" situations.

medved02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages medved02
laserbiz wrote:I bought the 16 gig touchpad @ B&N around 8:30 am Eastern, and just checked my order status and it said it will ship in 2 days...I guess I have to wait and see!

Mine is showing estimated shiping in two days as well, however, going back to their web site, it looks like both the 16 and 32Gb versions have dead links now. I wanted to go back and look at the specs, but I can not.

Still hoping I get one. For 100 buck.

bobkrause

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobkrause
marchwin wrote:I bought one couple of months ago & can't do anything with it. You have to be a geek to modify it, and I'm just a housewife. AND you can't get apps for it. Useless!!!

Check out the Bishop of Technology site (www.raywaldo.com). Ray's got some great step-by-step instructions for modding the tablet and you won't believe how well it works with a decent ROM on it.

zintzun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zintzun
mvanco wrote:Me and my husband scored the HP 32Gb from hp Small this weekend for $149. Since team TouchDroid is on the case I feel confident they will have a working android honeycomb in the next few months.

I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico.

skytechrep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skytechrep
burhanistan wrote:The HP Touchpad fire sale was probably an anomaly in the greater scheme of the tablet market. Here's some spot on anaylsis:

What the huge sales of the $99 TouchPad tells us about iPad and the future of tablets

Also, what the heck is a "para dyne". Do you mean "paradigm shift"?

can i blame my spelll checker

mderoller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mderoller
xiaoran501 wrote:hp touchpad is only $99, and much better than this one!

The HP Touchpad is WebOS not Android, you know that right? WebOS is damaged goods.

Witte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Witte

Is there a netflix app for this tablet?

massanutten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages massanutten
sdc100 wrote:Can this be upgraded to Honeycomb (Android 3.0) easily?

Does it have access to Google's Android Marketplace? A big problem with many tablets is that they don't have Google's blessings, thus no access to the Marketplacce. That means not being unable ti download many top apps. Amazon's Android marketplace, for example, is much smaller. You can always download apps by unofficial means, of course, but that means no automatic updating. It's pretty cumbersome. In my opinion, Google's dictatorial control over the marketplace is what's preventing it from overpowering the iPad. After all, one of the major reasons Windows overpowered Mac was the millions of cheap IBM compatible computers that also ran Windows.

BTW, the inability to access Google's marketplace is one major reason teh excellent Entourage Edge died.

Saw the Woot this morning, only reading the forum now. Someone probably already answered this but the answer is yes - you can load Android's Marketplace, get all the automatic updates, etc.

I bought this a while ago from Woot just to dip my toe into the tablet waters. This is a great cheap tablet. After a while I changed the ROM (folks see www.Slatedrioid.com - specifically http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/102-viewsonic-viewpadg-tab/.

Bought my wife one as well and she is using the stock Tap'nTap. I've seen more than one say the TnT interface is crap - maybe, but it gets the job done - albeit a little slower.

Not the latest tablet, but I recommend it for the user support that's out there.

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49

[quote postid="4605648" user="Witte"]Is there a netflix app for this tablet?[/quote
I've got Netflix running on it on Honeycomb.

roebeet

Witte wrote:Is there a netflix app for this tablet?

I can't speak for stock, but the latest NF version works on many of the Froyo mods, as well as CM7.

alamogal1963

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alamogal1963

Got hubby one of these a couple of Woot's ago for last Christmas. Way better than the iPad because it supports Flash and he added an SD card. I installed Tether and use it with my Blackberry in the car pool on the way to work to surf the news and FB. Absolutely love it. Fast, easy to navigate, and for the price, it rules.

As an ereader, it's OK. I have the legacy Nook and use that for book reading. But you can download ePub format books from your library or read a .pdf.

Blondes aren't dumm.

davidcaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davidcaf

Is it me or did Amazon kill Woot ?

MaxSMoke777

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777

Why do they only have the good stuff when I'm broke? CONSPIRACY!!!!

halukucar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages halukucar

I just checked "1080p Resolution Video Playback" image and the resolution/details was not that good >;>

medved02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages medved02
medved02 wrote:Mine is showing estimated shiping in two days as well, however, going back to their web site, it looks like both the 16 and 32Gb versions have dead links now. I wanted to go back and look at the specs, but I can not.

Still hoping I get one. For 100 buck.

Got the message from B&N that they canceled my order due to them not being able to meet demand. Little bummed, but that's ok.
I have two of these tables now, both ordered from woot. Love them. Would consider getting another for my 4 year old, but really don't need three of them. He likes to play Angry Birds, and I just purchased two 16GB micro cards and loaded them up with movies. Converted some of their movies to mp4 format and running them with Mobo player. Nice to be able to get nearly a dozen CD's on a micro card. Plays very well, my 4 year old can navigate pretty much the whole system, and my 2 year old knows enough to start and pick the movies.
They are pretty sweet. I actually find my self using them quite a bit. Easier to take the tablet and read my e-mail on that rather than my Blackberry phone.
If your on the fence, get it.
Like everyone else, I wish the screen had a better viewing angle, but for the most part, when I'm using it, I'm looking straight on anyway, and it is fine.

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

These are a great buy for the price!

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

gidgiddonihah

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gidgiddonihah

I have this feeling that woot will get the touchpad... Amazon sold out in minutes, which seems weird for someone as large as them. I'm crossing my fingers!

Tyson

jsouthard007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsouthard007
Lord John Whorfin wrote:The screen is a horrible, worthless piece of crap, rendering the tablet useless. Yes, you can buy a dock with HDMI connector. So what? You can also buy a little box the size of a pack of cigarettes that will play movies out of a USB memory stick or hard drive, or an SD card, out to composite or HDMI, for $32 on ebay.

Why in the world would you want to watch anything on a screen the size of a cigarette pack? This is a 10" screen with 1080p! Download a movie via wi-fi, or transfer one onto it via a USB thumb drive.

A limited viewing angle keeps wandering eyes from looking at what is on your screen when you are on an airplane, or any public place for that matter. Expands the "rating" of what I feel comfortable watching without wandering eyes complaining.