0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
HP Pavilion Quad-Core Desktop
$299.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Eratosthenes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes

The mice appear to have hung themselves...

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

I thought Two-for-Tuesday was back.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

Big brother sells this for $200 more (shh don't tell Amazon!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B004G5ZTM4

I have an HP Pavilion and it works great, the customer service is actually why I stick with them-- Way better than Dell!

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

jeffiekins

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jeffiekins

I built a very similar machine for my wife, with a Quad-core Athlon II 3.0, 4 Gb, and integrated Radeon 4200.

The integrated graphics run Aero perfectly, better than I expected, and the processor is just stupid fast.

Can't speak to gaming, as the thing has never played a game besides Farmville and Solitaire.

Plays videos great in full HD.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

joehiatt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages joehiatt

Really crappy flimsy chassis (as seen in this upgrde guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01835715.pdf) but that shouldnt matter too much unless youre opening it up a lot...

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

That is a very good price. If I was in need of one right now, I'd be all over it.

stncttr908

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stncttr908

For about $250 more this can be a nice gaming setup. You'd need a better power supply (500-600W) and a decent video card (NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti or AMD Radeon 6950).

coolrunner87

quality posts: 11 Private Messages coolrunner87

The graphics card in this machine isn't very good at all.

However, all that needs to happen to turn this machine into a beast (or near one, anyway) is to get the proper PCI-E x16 card (not 2.0 from what I know) and good power supply.

Remember, folks: a cheap power supply is a good way to kill the machine.

pglee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pglee

User questions and reviews plus manufacturer answers over at Best Buy's website. Fifty-seven reviews with an average over of 4 out of 5 stars.

initramakdov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages initramakdov

Just got a free monkey at Doug Benson's show in Fort Worth. Thanks Woot!

kcatama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcatama

i bought a similar hp refurb and have had no problems with it. they usually come with one pci-e slot and the integrated ati 4200 video chipset really isn't all that. also beware, if you're planning on adding a dedicated video card the case has almost no ventilation so you would have to swap to an aftermarket case and of course add fans or water cool it. just my two cents!

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

8month old model for ONLY $300? Holy jeepers.

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

mizzou0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mizzou0

How's this Athlon CPU compare to Intel's i5 or i7? Or is it a stupid question?

dustyrogers

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dustyrogers
coolrunner87 wrote:The graphics card in this machine isn't very good at all.

However, all that needs to happen to turn this machine into a beast (or near one, anyway) is to get the proper PCI-E x16 card (not 2.0 from what I know) and good power supply.

Remember, folks: a cheap power supply is a good way to kill the machine.

Can you upgrade the psu on these easily? I thought most PC makers used proprietary units typically... far as I know Dell always has anyhow.

stncttr908

kcatama wrote:i bought a similar hp refurb and have had no problems with it. they usually come with one pci-e slot and the integrated ati 4200 video chipset really isn't all that. also beware, if you're planning on adding a dedicated video card the case has almost no ventilation so you would have to swap to an aftermarket case and of course add fans or water cool it. just my two cents!

Fortunately newer cards run much cooler. My 560 Ti idles around 30 degrees and never eclipses 65C on full load. These things can handle much hotter than that. Just don't store it in a desk!

AwesomeDale

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AwesomeDale
devexityspace wrote:
I have an HP Pavilion and it works great, the customer service is actually why I stick with them-- Way better than Dell!

The customer service may be great. Having the opportunity to get customer service from HP for only 90 days because this is a refurbished unit...not so great.

akwoolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akwoolf

Nice price for my new Windows Home Server 2011. In for one.

coolrunner87

quality posts: 11 Private Messages coolrunner87
dustyrogers wrote:Can you upgrade the psu on these easily? I thought most PC makers used proprietary units typically... far as I know Dell always has anyhow.

HP doesn't use proprietary power supplies. You can put in a full ATX PSU into any HP mid-tower and be just fine about it.

I used to own a HP several years ago, and I was able to put in an Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU no problem.

cleaner00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cleaner00

needs more power. a 250w supply is barely enough. If you want to but a decent vid card in this you'll need 500 at minimum.

Unique Woot items purchaced: 69
Bundles of Clones#39;s attempted: 42 (including the Dow Jones bag)
Bundles of Clones#39;s acquired: 3 (25Sep09/26Mar10/26May10)

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

Woah - I have a very similar PC with almost identical specs. In fact, I was just looking at the specs an hour ago trying to figure out if I could somehow use my old school TV (S-Video and RCA inputs) as a monitor to watch some shows on a bigger screen.

I can do this with my laptop which has S-Video out but this PC doesn't. I'm connected to my monitor via the DVI port. Could I do VGA to RCA or S-Video with a converter? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

techstorm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages techstorm

According to the passmark cpu list this is one of the best "cpu value" processors. Apparently they take into consideration the performance and price. I think I'll try one of these out.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
joehiatt wrote:Really crappy flimsy chassis (as seen in this upgrde guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01835715.pdf) but that shouldnt matter too much unless youre opening it up a lot...

Darn it, I thought it was made of platinum for $299 plus $5 shipping hyuk.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

LarryCebula

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LarryCebula

I am thinking of quitting my cable package and getting a media center PC to hook up to the TV for Netflix and Hulu and the like. Would this do the trick?

shiframeir

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shiframeir

could i run 2 dvi monitors on the current video card (with a y-splitter dvi plug)? or will i need a new card?

buckylarue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buckylarue

Have this machine (the 6710) that I bought new at MicroCenter a year or so ago. Best running machine I've had that I didn't build myself. I did eventually add a video card upgrade, and a 1TB external. Works even better now. I paid about a hundred bucks more, so this would be a no-brainer for me to buy, if I didn't already have it!

jbuccola

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jbuccola

Not a bad deal at all.

Logic: if you bought this and parted out the processor ($90), hard drive ($80), RAM ($35) and Win7 license ($100) you'd have a MoBo, DVD burner, power supply, key/mouse and a craptastically dull case leftover.

stncttr908

shiframeir wrote:could i run 2 dvi monitors on the current video card (with a y-splitter dvi plug)? or will i need a new card?

You're going to need a dedicated card. Fortunately if that's all you want you can get any old $15-25 video card.

jmccomas10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmccomas10
dustyrogers wrote:Can you upgrade the psu on these easily? I thought most PC makers used proprietary units typically... far as I know Dell always has anyhow.

I upgraded a powersupply in a similar desktop. Super easy to do. I upgraded cause I was adding a graphics card to run multiple montiors

onelazyballa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onelazyballa

kind of sad i jumped on the last quad core desktop last time. now you get a 1tb hard drive instead of 750 gb for the same price. but this is a good deal.

nieltj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nieltj

Nobody has talked about Win 7 64 bit. Has that been around long enough now that drivers are plentiful?

jmccomas10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmccomas10
stncttr908 wrote:You're going to need a dedicated card. Fortunately if that's all you want you can get any old $15-25 video card.

Hes right. I did the exact same things. upgrade the psu to a decent 400-500watt, add cheap video card and you have a great multiple monitor system. will not play recent games but works great for everything else.

Ultrasuperfluous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ultrasuperfluous

Does anybody know if I can yank the guts out of this thing and put them in my Lian-Li case? Or is the MoBo set up to only work with the HP case?

stncttr908

nieltj wrote:Nobody has talked about Win 7 64 bit. Has that been around long enough now that drivers are plentiful?

Never ran into any hardware incompatible and I've been running Win7 64-bit since beta. Good to go.

Lance19

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Lance19

Question:
Okay, I admit it...I'm a Mac guy with ZERO experience
with non-Macs.

But I have hours and hours of full HD (1920x1080)
video in the AVCHD format, which Macs just do not
seem to like. I'm not looking to run a lot of fancy filters
or anything...just be able to do basic editing.

I already have an extra monitor (1920x1080) so I'm
thinking THIS machine might be a cheap $300 solution
to my video problem.

In short, will this machine handle full HD AVCHD editing
(without getting a new vid card, power supply, etc.?)

Thanks.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

For the price this is a great machine, WAY more than enough power for the office or home. I almost want to recommend it to a customer of mine, but...

Be sure to open the unit up when you get it and make sure it is clean inside, the last time I jumped on an HP refurbish desktop offer that was this good it came full of dust.

The CPU fan/heatsink looked like this:

etfrisco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etfrisco
LarryCebula wrote:I am thinking of quitting my cable package and getting a media center PC to hook up to the TV for Netflix and Hulu and the like. Would this do the trick?

Cheaper to get an HD Media player like the WD Live or Zinwell - check Meritline.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
Lance19 wrote:Question:
Okay, I admit it...I'm a Mac guy with ZERO experience
with non-Macs.

But I have hours and hours of full HD (1920x1080)
video in the AVCHD format, which Macs just do not
seem to like. I'm not looking to run a lot of fancy filters
or anything...just be able to do basic editing.

I already have an extra monitor (1920x1080) so I'm
thinking THIS machine might be a cheap $300 solution
to my video problem.

In short, will this machine handle full HD AVCHD editing
(without getting a new vid card, power supply, etc.?)

Thanks.

It will be just fine as is. Even the hard drive is 7200 RPM which seems rare with woot refurbs. You could bump up the ram down the road if needed, working with HD video is about the only thing that will push the 4gb it comes with.