atagert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atagert
natemc wrote:

I remember that one, it's from a fark.com photoshop contest.

The picture is from May 1st, 2004 at Princeton University.

Here is the news story about the UPS truck. http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/05/03/news/10495.shtml

Basically, the UPS driver was delivering packages and the truck rolled down the hill, while he wasn't in it.

widepart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages widepart

follow for a better price in Canadian $'s http://ca.shop.com/amos/cc/main/prod/act/18679371/ccsyn/261

WIDEPART

thekidrocks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thekidrocks

Dang, this printer hasn't sold out yet? I am honestly surprised. Maybe too many of us are still letting our credit cards cool from the woot-off!

Now personally, I don't care for these things. I guess it's great for travellers who don't want to lug around a full size unit that also does regular paper. Then again, if I were travelling, I'd have prints made for, what, 14 cents each at WallyWorld???

Thankfully the thing does not do anything with bread. I offically bought two $&%^ toasters in effort to better serve my country and fellow wooters. I guess I'll jam those toasters next to the $*%& fajita maker grill thing that also is still in the box after doing my part!

outferno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages outferno

This is a great printer, I used to be a sales associate for all makes and models of photo printers. This one is very cool, uses a single cartridge and what it does is, in short, electrocute the very small picaliter of ink and it splatters onto the photo paper and changes it's color while it's heated by the electric shock. Very cool technology. The prints are beautiful too - all though, you will find greater looking prints on a more expensive printer, e.g. an Epson 8 Ink Printer. I've seen the Canon prints too, but they're not as vivid as the 8 Ink Epson or the 9 Ink HP Printers.

wonderdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderdude
claudiajean wrote:So, Gentlemen of Woot! – when do we get a real sewing-related Woot for us Woot! girls, rather than a tiny horrifying sewing reference within a photo of another Woot?

How about A Singer Quantum XL-6000? Or a high-end steamer?

CJ has hit on an idea I had during the recent monster woot-off. Woot.com really should split into two sites to accomodate both male and female interests.

While the wildly divergent products offered certainly make for interesting contrasts, business would go much smoother (and surely have much higher volume) if there was one site for guy stuff (computer gear & electronics, car stuff, beer-makers, swords, x-ray goggles, etc.), and a separate site for female products (kitchen appliances, swiffers, aprons, hair curlers, sparkle-makers, crystal unicorns, etc.).

In my proposal, Woot.com would continue offering guy gear at midnight, when the target market is alone in the basement, the parents have gone to bed, and the alcohol has taken full effect. Wootette.com, on the other hand, would offer chick stuff at 2pm, when the target market has finished cleaning up after lunch, the kids are napping, and most soap opreas have wrapped up for the day.

If woot.com is interested in retaining my services for additional business strategery, please pm me. I live in the St. Louis area.

*Please note that the example given above has been intentionally exaggerated for comedic effect. To be specific, not all males want beer-makers. Only the cool ones do.

thekidrocks

keenevision wrote:

Or thanks to Tiger's LAME REBATE SYSTEM you get screwed out of the rebate entirely!! (happened to me TWICE!!)

I HATE TIGER DIRECT'S REBATE SYSTEM! THERE, uh, sorry for shouting... there should be a law!

I know this is OT, but just when they try to get their rebate system working and make a promise - they start screwing things up again. Frustrating part is, they don't alert you that there is a problem with the rebate - they just don't pay. At least HP, BB, CC, OD an Staples (the ones I mostly deal with) drop you a note.

Tiger D. has lost my business. Long live Woot!

thekidrocks

outferno wrote:This is a great printer, I used to be a sales associate for all makes and models of photo printers. This one is very cool, uses a single cartridge and what it does is, in short, electrocute the very small picaliter of ink and it splatters onto the photo paper and changes it's color while it's heated by the electric shock. Very cool technology. The prints are beautiful too - all though, you will find greater looking prints on a more expensive printer, e.g. an Epson 8 Ink Printer. I've seen the Canon prints too, but they're not as vivid as the 8 Ink Epson or the 9 Ink HP Printers.

I've been partial to Epson photos personally - but to be fair I have not done any photos with a Canon. What I like about Epson is that the finished product has a nice matte surface, while the HP is variable depending on the color/angle you look at it from.

Yet honestly, anymore I take the memory card to the local Meijer store (midwest megastore chain a little classier than WallyWorld) and have them printed for 18 cents each. More than WalMart or Sam's, but you get better personal attention if you need a color correction or a free reprint.

kzelez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kzelez

<In my proposal, Woot.com would continue offering guy gear at midnight, when the target market is alone in the basement, the parents have gone to bed, and the alcohol has taken full effect. Wootette.com, on the other hand, would offer chick stuff at 2pm, when the target market has finished cleaning up after lunch, the kids are napping, and most soap opreas have wrapped up for the day.>

Sorry to say it, but I like geek stuff of all sorts. Yeah, I bought that robotic vacuum, but certainly drooled about the idea of some of the other gear that was sold, just did not need it right now. (Tho' I do have an old PC I was thinking about taking apart and redoing and could have bought components for it, just am not ready right now.)

This "girl" (it has been a long time since that word fit), does not fit your marketing ploys. There are plenty of us "geek girls" out there that have to have curling irons and toasters as well as components.

KZ (the ninja librarian)

tks oc

claudiajean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claudiajean
wonderdude wrote:

CJ has hit on an idea I had during the recent monster woot-off. Woot.com really should split into two sites to accomodate both male and female interests.

While the wildly divergent products offered certainly make for interesting contrasts, business would go much smoother (and surely have much higher volume) if there was one site for guy stuff (computer gear & electronics, car stuff, beer-makers, swords, x-ray goggles, etc.), and a separate site for female products (kitchen appliances, swiffers, aprons, hair curlers, sparkle-makers, crystal unicorns, etc.).

In my proposal, Woot.com would continue offering guy gear at midnight, when the target market is alone in the basement, the parents have gone to bed, and the alcohol has taken full effect. Wootette.com, on the other hand, would offer chick stuff at 2pm, when the target market has finished cleaning up after lunch, the kids are napping, and most soap opreas have wrapped up for the day.

If woot.com is interested in retaining my services for additional business strategery, please pm me. I live in the St. Louis area.

*Please note that the example given above has been intentionally exaggerated for comedic effect. To be specific, not all males want beer-makers. Only the cool ones do.

Perhaps you missed this important point from my overlong diatribe (a-hem.):

"Hilda, that championship embroiderer, would have been happier with yesterday’s penultimate woot! in the woot-off, the Wacom Intuos 2 Graphic Tablet, or with the Western Digital Caviar 250GB Hard Drive, rather than that sad little thing in Boyfriend’s hand."

You probably also missed: "No. Sex. For. Him."

Wootette.com should be populated with both Bluetooth adaptors AND computerized embroidery machines, with mystery speaker sets AND Rowenta clothing steamers, with 61" televisions, California wines, AND the Maytag Neptune dryer and clothing care center. And the really good flat screen monitors and coffee makers.

Woot.com can keep the bread makers (you guys just eat bread, we girls know where Safeway is.), the tube speakers, the GIS mapping devices (we know how to ask for directions), the screaming monkeys (we've already got you, baby), all forms of toasters, the leak alarms (send one to the White House), the video poker anything, and the hats that hold two beer cans with siphon straws running down to the wearer's mouth.

Oh, and woot.com should still sport an array of portable DVD players for those times when the woot!boys are in a panic, as they have been left with the woot!-spring at home on a Saturday while we woot!girls abandon you all to shop for, what was it?

Swiffers...crystal unicorns? Swiffers with crystal unicorns at the end of the pole?

Ah...satire.

wonderdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderdude
kzelez wrote:Sorry to say it, but I like geek stuff of all sorts. Yeah, I bought that robotic vacuum, but certainly drooled about the idea of some of the other gear that was sold, just did not need it right now. (Tho' I do have an old PC I was thinking about taking apart and redoing and could have bought components for it, just am not ready right now.)

This "girl" (it has been a long time since that word fit), does not fit your marketing ploys. There are plenty of us "geek girls" out there that have to have curling irons and toasters as well as components.

KZ (the ninja librarian)

Dear martial artist of the bibiloteca, I appreciate your objection. I certainly have not proposed my idea without thinking this one through.

Of course, both woot.com and wootette.com would be open to ALL consumers, regardless of their shopping orientation. Woot-curious, woot-ambiguous and trans-woots would not only be welcome at either site, but encouraged!!

claudiajean

wonderdude wrote:

Dear martial artist of the bibiloteca, I appreciate your objection. I certainly have not proposed my idea without thinking this one through.

Of course, both woot.com and wootette.com would be open to ALL consumers, regardless of their shopping orientation. Woot-curious, woot-ambiguous and trans-woots would not only be welcome at either site, but encouraged!!

Well, that certainly IS a relief. I was going to point out that your vision of wootette.com might also find some fans among the members of the Men's Figure Skating Association, especially if care was taken in selecting the correct embroidery gadgetry.

And Gentlemen of Woot: I might add that I, too, am avaliable for marketing strategery for this new venture. And I don't need to live in the St. Louis area to bolster your sagging bottom line.

Here in Seattle, we are all hooked up to the interwebs and can talk to each other and everything. At least when we aren't at Starbucks.

lepak47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepak47

are you guys from mars maybe venus, men clean, men sew, men have to do this stuff, have you thought that maybe a man might want a vacuum or a sewing machine(its got lotsa parts to take apart) have you ever been to a single womans house, dirty toilets, dirty clothes and dirty oil in there car. Single women can be and alot of times are sloppy at home Its the men that want a clean house, patched jeans and a fresh lube job. If you dont like the woot go to ebay!

gerryf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerryf

Who says it does not make toast!

And, good God, I think that's Jesus in that toast! Holy bread!

tjthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjthomas

Why is the UPS truck in the ditch?

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
wonderdude wrote:

wonderboy, woot would lose big time if they followed your archane advice. Even those of us "girls" who do not get into geek stuff in a major way, would puke if woot offered crystal unicorns. (Yes I know it was only a satirical example, but the concept still reeks of bygone Victorian concepts.) The women who are at home at 2 pm are not shopping at woot. Yes, there will always be women who want jewelry, but they will want to see it in person and try it on.

Do women buy geek stuff? You betcha! Even when we don't want it for ourselves, we buy it for gifts - and not always for men. You better take a look outside your cubicle and see what real women are shopping these days. It will prepare you for dating.

mjc613

lepak47 wrote:are you guys from mars maybe venus, men clean, men sew, men have to do this stuff, have you thought that maybe a man might want a vacuum or a sewing machine(its got lotsa parts to take apart) have you ever been to a single womans house, dirty toilets, dirty clothes and dirty oil in there car. Single women can be and alot of times are sloppy at home Its the men that want a clean house, patched jeans and a fresh lube job. If you dont like the woot go to ebay!

As a former single woman, I can vouch for this.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
gerryf wrote:Who says it does not make toast!

And, good God, I think that's Jesus in that toast! Holy bread!

Is Jesus wearing a cowboy hat?

May the Crap be with you all!!!

mjc613

atagert wrote:

The picture is from May 1st, 2004 at Princeton University.

Here is the news story about the UPS truck. http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/05/03/news/10495.shtml

Basically, the UPS driver was delivering packages and the truck rolled down the hill, while he wasn't in it.

Highly informative, but the Tux and Tiny Tailor mystery is not taken into account. It must be a hoax.

mjc613

bhwmc01 wrote:The true story:

Fredrique (no, it's NOT Fred) was ecstatic. He was on his way home from square dancing club for the week with the "most improved dancer" award, a portable sewing machine. Ignoring glares from the seasoned veterans, he started on his way home. Since he didn't trust anything he wasn't in complete control of, he chose to walk everywhere he went.

However, once he left the senior citizen center, the rest of the club devised a strategy. Mildred, who by far had the oldest, most indestructible car, was elected to knock down Fredrique while Sam and Harry would retrieve the sewing machine. It seemed to be the perfect plan...but alas, even the best-laid plans can self-destruct before you say "bow to your left corner".

Mildred, who had failed her last driving test and was currently on a restricted driving schedule, misjudged the skid that was necessary to gently knock Fredrique down without harming the sewing machine. Instead, she slammed into a parked UPS truck. The driver, Andy, was in the middle of his daily visit with the Harrison's (Mrs. Harrison is quite the flirt), and left his truck in neutral. The impact from Mildred's car was enough to gently push Andy's truck down the embankment and nearly into the canal.

Chaos ensued. Mildred knew that if she got caught, she'd lose her license entirely, and she couldn't risk that, since she was the only one of her friends who still had a valid license. Andy had to laugh at the situation - he hadn't lost any packages from his truck, he had gotten to 3rd base with Mrs. Harrison, and the whole story was just too freakin' funny, anyway. And Fredrique...dear sweet insane Fredrique. He escaped unscathed, with a big smile on his face and portable sewing machine ready for whatever sadistic plot he had developing deep in his head...

Okay, that's the story. I'm not feeling super creative today...but it'll do! :)

It was a stellar story, bhwmc! Promenade!

claudiajean

wonderdude wrote:

Whoa, Whoa, all ye who would criticize Wonderdude and his wootette.com plan:

In his defense, I believe his proposal was entirely satirical. As was my response. Let us not bash him for what was submitted as humour! For when we have lost our ability to laugh at ourselves, we have truly lost our soul...

Wow, sometimes this board really needs to lighten up. Yikes.

(Sayeth the woman who wrote the 10,000-word essay defending modern machine embroidery enthusisasts.)

batherton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batherton

So the guy in the picture that is printed out of that printer is standing there in a tux while holding a sewing machine. And in the background there is a UPS truck that is at a huge incline on the side of a hill with the UPS man talking to a bunch of cops...HOW RANDOM....And I say that that is one of the coolest things i've seen in the woot picture. GOOD JOB WOOT!!!

cpage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpage
buzzlightyear wrote:Well, at least this wasn't in the Woot-off!

Yeah... takes a while to realize that even though it's taking forever to sell out, there *isn't* actually a new item waiting behind it and that it's not killing the woot-off. ;)

h2opolo1255

quality posts: 1 Private Messages h2opolo1255

OH MY GOD THAT UPS TRUCK IS GONNA HIT THOSE PEOPLE ON THE SIDEWALK! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

uplateanyway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uplateanyway

gimmaroon wrote:

gimmaroon wrote:
mainal50 wrote:

Hey Dude you did an awesome job in the woot off
THANX

Well done, uplateanyway. Thanks.

Hey, it was my pleasure. Afterall, I am ... uplateanyway.

Thanks.

Lazarus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Lazarus2
ReginaFilangee wrote:

Is Jesus wearing a cowboy hat?

I thought it was a sailor's hat but I think you're right.
Did you notice he's crosseyed, too?

From the Notebook of Lazarus Long:
"Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it, all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. Keep your children short on pocket money -- but long on hugs."

jmsolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmsolf

Does this HP Priner fall into the catagory of a Bread Maker?
Like an all day WOOT?
I see Froogle has a lot of them!
http://urldo.com/YQUV08

The prices are all over the place!

Ohhh... The post:
http://urldo.com/5JZAY4

LMAO! Priceless!

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
Lazarus2 wrote:

I thought it was a sailor's hat but I think you're right.
Did you notice he's crosseyed, too?

re: your sig line...
I LOVE Robert Heinlein!!!!!

Malik112099

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Malik112099

i was walking around in target today and saw this printer bundled with a camera for $199.99......the printer by itself was $129.99.....

SheriffKevin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SheriffKevin

[img]http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=somuchwronghere7qn.jpg[img]

yes it is a sewing machine

Lazarus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Lazarus2
acemom wrote:
re: your sig line...
I LOVE Robert Heinlein!!!!!

Yeppers, Bob was The Man ! I've been a fan since - well a LONG time. *hehehe*

From the Notebook of Lazarus Long:
"Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it, all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. Keep your children short on pocket money -- but long on hugs."

acemom

flatliner456 wrote:Wow, it took a long time to sell out; poor little woot: nobody wants you

I bought one.
*mercy purchase*

acemom

Lazarus2 wrote:

Yeppers, Bob was The Man ! I've been a fan since - well a LONG time. *hehehe*

Haha, since how long?
Bet i have ya beat....

:P

Bilal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bilal

This one came today! Looks good, although I haven't hooked it up, but it looks like it should work fine.

mjc613

A photo printer
with first class photo paper.
Such a nice woot, guys!

LMonticone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LMonticone

Here I am again, posting another non-delivery of an item "I WON"...I email and get no response, so maybe some WOOT employee is reading this and will follow up...
Where's my printer????? L Monticone

Tayloc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tayloc
bweech wrote:So since Woot's description says "Bluetooth Wireless Printing" and not "Bluetooth Wireless Printing capabile" under the specs, does that mean it comes with the HP bluetooth adapter (model BT300 for those wanting to google it)?

Yeah... the woot description tricked me, too. Must be those frackin toasters messin with the woot network. It is NOT bluetooth ready out of the box (i.e. no dongle)

For those interested, the HP manual says the bluetooth is HP part # Q3395A (a.k.a. the BT300), and is a USB dongle that plugs into the printer, running about $40-50. I plugged in my standard bluetooth dongle (a cheap $10 one I've had for awhile) and was able to print from my smartphone by sending a jpg file to the device. Sweet... never printed direct from a cell phone before. :)

aldonunston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aldonunston
Tayloc wrote:

Yeah... the woot description tricked me, too. Must be those frackin toasters messin with the woot network. It is NOT bluetooth ready out of the box (i.e. no dongle)

For those interested, the HP manual says the bluetooth is HP part # Q3395A (a.k.a. the BT300), and is a USB dongle that plugs into the printer, running about $40-50. I plugged in my standard bluetooth dongle (a cheap $10 one I've had for awhile) and was able to print from my smartphone by sending a jpg file to the device. Sweet... never printed direct from a cell phone before. :)

Got mine today and no dongle. I'm not going to make a big deal of this, but I would like to know if the description is as mis-leading as I think it is (or am I being too picky). The description clearly reads Bluetooth Technology - suggesting that the thing being described has Bluetooth technology - right? Well, if it only works with an external Bluetooth dongle, is there any Bluetooth technology in this printer?

an analogy follows:

Toyota makes both a hybrid and non-hybrid version of the Highlander. Would'nt it be mis-leading if the advertisement/description of the non-hybrid Highlander included the words "Hybrid Technology"? Again I'm not making a big deal because I know the rules of the road here and I like the Woot! thing alot (that Woot! - off was a blast and I did get a little caught up in the excitement) and this is going to be a great gift for my daughter in college I'm just checking in to see if I'm still capable of understanding the written word.

TJJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TJJ

A piece of crap.
We tried to use it with our Mac
It has Beta software (after 2 years).
We have printed a grand total of ZERO pages.