Mr.Chairman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mr.Chairman

I bought one of these at Fry's last month for $300. And it was worth it.

At this price, it's a damn steal.

andersen1966

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andersen1966
dedicateddad wrote:Meh...

How else will the little bastdges learn not to be OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PWNIES OMGs?

Little hurts when little teach valuable lessons that help prevent bigger hurts when big!

Dad watched me stick a butter knife in and electric socket... "Man! Thst HURT didn't it son! Bet you won't do THAT again!"

He was right! - and it's probably saved my life because I learned to respect electricity!

Can't wrap the world in bubble-wrap, better let them learn to survive!

Glad someone else said what I was thinking....Also, people can use these things that they all have but rarely use called brain.....they can use these "brains" to put things that could be dangerous out of reach of children or other living creatures.
They can also do their job and "parent" instead of having someone else (or some company) do it for them.
They will never bubble wrap the world......Some person who has never had a child will want a law passed to have all children wrapped in bubble wrap.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja

These will look perfect displayed on my desk, right next to the bose and monster cable.

BrokeDave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrokeDave
onestinkyfish wrote:I am in Afghanistan and all of the Dining Facilities are installing the hand driers. They work pretty well but I wonder how cost effective they are compared to the good old recycled paper towel...

Assuming people don't vandalize it, a modest priced hand drier (World Dryer brand is most popular here, about $450 USD) will pay for itself in less than 1/3rd of its lifespan (assuming a moderate use, the infrared sensor will fail within 15 years even if it seldom gets used).

ewoksmommy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ewoksmommy

Do NOT waste your money! The air flow is very low. The only cool thing about it is the fact you can stick your head through the ring! I'm telling you, do NOT buy this. Go buy a JC Penney $20 fan instead. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

mcdull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdull

I bought it a year ago at Target on clearance for $210 + tax. I like it, but couldn't justify the price.
Now it's $155... tempting especially it's still no sales tax before the end of this year in California ^^

BrokeDave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrokeDave
mikepainter wrote:How many amps does it draw?
I replaced a friend's fancy fan with an air conditioner because the air conditioner only drew a little more current than the fan.

Either your friend's fancy fan was VERY large or far more likely it was either defective or you weren't measuring current correctly. A 10" table fan generally draws less than 1/2A, especially one moving so little air as this does (though the design is less efficient than a standard table fan) while an A/C unit, even a small 5K BTU window unit is generally about 4 amps, or a little higher on older, less efficient A/C models.

testtech2522

quality posts: 0 Private Messages testtech2522

WALMART - Vornado Flippi V6 Air Circulator $20

KMART - Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner $100

saltysteele

quality posts: 4 Private Messages saltysteele

saw one of these in the store. definitely NOT impressed. why would i pay LITERALLY 16.666666666666667 times the price of a box fan more, for a smaller fan that doesn't blow (he he, he said blow) as well ($15 a fan in my area)?? was 250 at the store.

these are cheap, won't last long. i have a box fan that has a label stating "Sears" that is over 35 years old. it's missing the speed selection knob, but it works great.

i NEED my fan to make noise. it is the white noise that helps me fall asleep, in addition to the breeze in my face

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter
mikepainter wrote:How many amps does it draw?
I replaced a friend's fancy fan with an air conditioner because the air conditioner only drew a little more current than the fan.

That's ridiculous. A commercial fan won't draw 10% of what a small compressor will.

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil

This is actually a good test. Everyone that buys one of these should be rounded up and forced to move to California, with the rest of the...

Oh, wait:

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

These are really cool looking but not worth the money. Is there really a fan in the base? I thought it was an ultrasonic device. I'd like to buy one, take it apart and return it for a refund.

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter
mrmalinak wrote:I wish woot would have asked me to wear a dress before they farked me last night while I waited an hour for the woot-off to end/ update.

Way to go against your own policy woot. Says you will either end the woot-off or put up another item. Nice work letting a sold out item sit there for an hour.

No2 where are my monkeys?

You seriously sat up waiting? That's pretty sad if you think about it. You might want to consider therapy.

jpm100

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jpm100
saltysteele wrote:saw one of these in the store. definitely NOT impressed. why would i pay LITERALLY 16.666666666666667 times the price of a box fan more, for a smaller fan that doesn't blow (he he, he said blow) as well ($15 a fan in my area)?? was 250 at the store.

these are cheap, won't last long. i have a box fan that has a label stating "Sears" that is over 35 years old. it's missing the speed selection knob, but it works great.

i NEED my fan to make noise. it is the white noise that helps me fall asleep, in addition to the breeze in my face

That's the problem. These don't have the pulsing fan noise, but they are incredible loud. They're horrible. I was shocked someone would try to sell them at their price point with as loud as they are.

Its sort of a random noise, but not a pleasant white noise. More of a harsh static sound.

talormolly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talormolly

I paid $102.99 for a green one, plus free delivery.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
Gatzby wrote:It's actually an issue under investigation. Apologies for any lasting mental harm it may have caused.

Woot is getting to be the Honey Badger of daily deal sites.

lparsons42

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lparsons42

With a due respect to Mr Dyson, I have yet to meet anyone who felt that the buffeting of a traditional fan was "unsettling".

robinr99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinr99
Crab wrote:Is it possible to stop this fan with your tongue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JDxSc33fa0

yuck

chipmunkofdoom2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipmunkofdoom2

If you haven't seen one of these in action, go to the nearest Best Buy. They usually have these setup. Anyway, you will hear that it is louder than most fans (at least that I've ever used). You'll also notice, if you're inquisitive like myself, that it draws air from the base (so now you essentially have a vacuum instead of a simple fan.. oh yeah, MUCH quieter..) and it does not actually use some science fiction type air foil effect over the circular body of the fan. You'll also see a vaccum/air hose where the circular head meets the base, if you look closely enough.

I used to get angry at companies like Dyson for making a lucrative business off of selling over-hyped, under-engineered, overpriced junk to poooonys, but now I idolize them. I hope one day to be scamming suckers with my own barely remarkable products.

soape1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soape1985

Well just to possibly rial up a pissing contest among other potential fans out there on the market that are the same size. How much CFM does this weird little fan push out?

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon
chipmunkofdoom2 wrote:

I used to get angry at companies like Dyson for making a lucrative business off of selling over-hyped, under-engineered, overpriced junk to poooonys, but now I idolize them. I hope one day to be scamming suckers with my own barely remarkable products.

I know a large electronics company that does this very thing.

sw3rve

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sw3rve
91crxturbo wrote:I've had this exact same fan for about 6 months. It's not any better than a regular $20 fan in terms of functionality or quietness. But it does look really cool....I love gismos, but at the price I wouldn't buy another one. Plus it doesn't even come with a remote....for $150 throw in a damn remote!

You're forgetting the biggest positive: no razor blade accidents.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

O
|

Anyone feel any air?

pfffft!

asianglow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asianglow
jenandlaw wrote:Any better than what? The Dyson blade dryer is MILES better than this:

http://static.flickr.com/86/267756184_98ff9314f8.jpg

Yeah... Those Dyson Dryers don't help me when I need to dry my shirt/pants after I wet myself for seeing that I bought a 18-carat gold AE+Y phone...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/hJfqgEun6riliuAyQD20fg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/technews/mw-300-smaller-aesir-gold-phone-crazy.jpg

jnm858

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnm858

Good video explanation of the fan by Mr. Dyson himself. . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6314107/Dyson-bladeless-fan-how-it-works.html

indytycoon

dliidlii wrote:You failed to turn off the woot lights as is your policy and thereby wasted the time of hundreds of wooters. You owe us a formal apology and I for one will not make another purchase until an apology is given.
My email to woot. feel free to copy.

Not another purchase? Does this include a Bindle of Carrots? I think Woot shouldn't apologize... More Bundle of Crops for the rest of us!

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

CONSUMER REPORTS did an extensive study on if these Dyson Fans offered any advantage whatsoever for the price....Guess what...They don't! They found a 20$ fan that moved air the exact same way. There is a impeller in the base that pushes air out through the ring...so it is still basically a fan with a streamlined exhaust port.

The only people that would buy these fans are the same people that think buying a Mac means they are getting a state of the art PC made with top of the line components instead of a prettied up computer made with Mid-line PC components sold for 2x the price.

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

It's 37 degrees this AM and I am not in the mood for a fan.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

theherbshack

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theherbshack
NewMaster wrote:The hand dryer looks cool, but doesn't work any better. This fan doesn't work better either. There's no buffeting air, yes, but that's because it barely moves air at all. Like all Dyson products, you pay more for no more functionality. In my opinion, of course.

Ive had the luxury to use one of the hand dryers and they do work much better than a standard one.

indytycoon

Syndil wrote:This is actually a good test. Everyone that buys one of these should be rounded up and forced to move to California, with the rest of the...

Oh, wait:

Not one sold in Alaska? Dyson needs to advertise there more.

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo

These fans always impress me when I'm at Best Buy, just never able to justify myself spending that much on a table fan.

kpk021

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpk021

These things are surprisingly loud and not from the airflow. For this type of pricing, I'd expect silence.

This thing is definitely made for "Bose buyers."

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

This is a crappy fan and a waste of money.

Its air movement is comparable to a $10, 3-inch plug-in fan. A comparably sized conventional fan moves 5 to 10 times the airflow.

In store displays, they put streamers around the edges to show the air moving. The thing is that the air ONLY moves around the edges. Stand 3 feet away from this thing and you literally won't feel a thing.

It's also loud, particularly so for its airflow. Why? Because the design resticts and channels the airflow so aggressively.

Please don't waste yourmoney on this expensive, over-hyped piece of garbage.

IronRadish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IronRadish

I work with a bunch of kids, this seems much safer to have in the room. But we don't have the money to buy one, let alone the replacement after a kid knocks it over throwing objects through the ring.

vttroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vttroy
polizzi82 wrote:http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cool-safe-lightweight-bladeless-fan-white-91663
$23 dollars shipped here.

Seriously though these real Dyson ones are kinda loud. And expensive.

I bought one from DX, or possibly Goodluckbuy. It is quite loud, but does move air very well. It had an awful 12Vdc adapter for power. I ripped it apart in hopes of putting a quieter fan inside the base. For $23, I lost interest pretty quickly.

Dave5280

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dave5280

This thing blows...

TracyLou32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TracyLou32

It must be of the Devil. Fans without blades. Dark magic. It's EVIL! A portal of doom I tell you... Doooooom.....

xSkoad

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xSkoad

If I cant stand behind it, talk into it, and make my voice sound all Vadorish... NO DEAL!

The1LoneWolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages The1LoneWolf

I have used the Dyson "Blade" hand dryer. It will blow the tattoos off of your hands and dry your hands in a second.

I refuse to try or even get near one of these fans. It is obviously VooDoo!

Where's the kaboom? There's suppose to be an Earth fertilizer kaboom!