2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba 24" 1080p LED-LCD HDTV with Built-In DVD Player
$249.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

badger65

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badger65

That screen is so clear I can grill my chicken right on it!

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

$25 less than amazons regular price but reviews are not good.

Average Customer Rating
2.8 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)
5 star:
(2)
4 star: (0)
3 star:
(2)
2 star:
(2)
1 star:
(2
Also, be aware you have to pay to return the TV even under warranty.

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor

Apollo1Man

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Apollo1Man

Does it really have a DVD player or will we find out in the morning that was wrong... I kid I kid.

Zephyrdw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zephyrdw

3 Whole Dollars off.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=24SLV411U+24%E2%80%9D+1080p&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7683241558889283688&sa=X&ei=JSt0TsmIG8y4twfztNXSDA&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAg#scoring=tp

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

With Texas tax, this deal is $9 cheaper than Amazon's or B&H's prices.

...Zzzzzz...NO LIFETIME MAPS EITHER...zzzzzz...

kjlane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjlane

60 Hz and no Blu-ray? No deal.

fxfuji

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fxfuji

Pretty sweet. You don't really need 1080p for a 24" HDTV, but if you're gonna use it as a monitor, it'll be useful. Rather than thinking of it as a HDTV, think of it as a monitor for your PC, with a built-in tuner and DVD player. It'd be perfect for a college student's dorm room.

markhaas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markhaas

On Toshiba's web site, it states the native resolution as 1280 x 1080. Normal HD resolution is 1920 x 1080. Typo?

http://us.toshiba.com/tv/TV-DVD-COMBO/24SLV411U

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
fxfuji wrote:Pretty sweet. You don't really need 1080p for a 24" HDTV, but if you're gonna use it as a monitor, it'll be useful. Rather than thinking of it as a HDTV, think of it as a monitor for your PC, with a built-in tuner and DVD player. It'd be perfect for a college student's dorm room.

Except a 24" monitor is $100 cheaper. Read the reviews about the problems people have with the DVD part of this TV. You can add a USB TV tuner to most computers for $50.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

planettom wrote:why do comments disappear?

In product forums, we will delete some posts if they do not refer to the product. Nothing personal.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kjlane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjlane
fxfuji wrote:Pretty sweet. You don't really need 1080p for a 24" HDTV, but if you're gonna use it as a monitor, it'll be useful. Rather than thinking of it as a HDTV, think of it as a monitor for your PC, with a built-in tuner and DVD player. It'd be perfect for a college student's dorm room.

If you are using it as a monitor, you don't need the dvd player as the PC will play it. Unless your PC is from 1998.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

What's a LED-LCD TV? I thought they were one, or the other?

bitman

quality posts: 14 Private Messages bitman
coolchris160 wrote:What's a LED-LCD TV? I thought they were one, or the other?

It's an LCD screen with an LED backlight, as opposed to the more common cold-cathode fluorescent. LED tends to have better color and brighness. Dunno why, there's nothing inherently wrong with fluorescent, but LED just seems to work a little better.

lebert22

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lebert22

I bought this tv for my mom and she loves that it saves so much space. Great picture quality

Leeebs

thetinguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thetinguy

Crappy deal, buy has this for the same price. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&nord=1&q=24+in+tv&gs_upl=209l14367l0l14979l11l8l1l0l0l0l213l1259l0.5.2l7l0&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=537&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7683241558889283688&sa=X&ei=OjB0TsrbBurs0gGnvoW0DQ&ved=0CMUBEPMCMAM

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Not so great reviews on amazon.

whatsamattaU

thetinguy wrote:Crappy deal, buy has this for the same price. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&nord=1&q=24+in+tv&gs_upl=209l14367l0l14979l11l8l1l0l0l0l213l1259l0.5.2l7l0&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=537&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7683241558889283688&sa=X&ei=OjB0TsrbBurs0gGnvoW0DQ&ved=0CMUBEPMCMAM

Looks like same price with $8.03 shipping, but I'm not willing to give them my email address to confirm the price in the cart.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Built in = more compact, less wires. The con, as noted in several of the negative reviews, is that if the DVD goes out, then the whole TV has to go in for service too.

The biggest aspect about built-in will be its relevancy a few years from now. It may be as (ir)relevant as built-in VCRs are nowadays.

burhanistan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages burhanistan

I guess if you need something to play a DVD for display purposes (like a booth at a convention or something) then this thing would be ok. Otherwise, no Blu Ray? Maybe for grandma.

If you're just wanting a nice big monitor then you're better off getting the "famous maker" 25" on sellout.woot.com today.

prosperouscheat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages prosperouscheat
coolchris160 wrote:What's a LED-LCD TV? I thought they were one, or the other?

What bitman said plus LED backlit TVs and monitors use less energy, have a thinner form factor and produce less heat.

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
ThunderThighs wrote:In product forums, we will delete some posts if they do not refer to the product. Nothing personal.

That's too bad, because that's half the fun of WOOT, and now that I MIGHT have your attention . . . I love Amazon, but they are ruining WOOT and THIS is ONE of the reasons !

And I will also mention that that last WOOT OFF WAS truly the WORST WOOT OFF ever. The number of laptops and TV's was ridiculous, as were the prices . . . and a freaking DRY ERASE board for .99 cents with $5.00 to ship it ?

I hope you staffers read the comments and take them seriously, because you're going the way of NETFLIX !

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

victormrivas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages victormrivas
kjlane wrote:If you are using it as a monitor, you don't need the dvd player as the PC will play it. Unless your PC is from 1998.

Or you just upgraded to a super thin, feather weight - weighs as much as air, maybe - machine that cringes at the thought of spinny this and that.

knmorgan08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knmorgan08
bitman wrote:It's an LCD screen with an LED backlight, as opposed to the more common cold-cathode fluorescent. LED tends to have better color and brighness. Dunno why, there's nothing inherently wrong with fluorescent, but LED just seems to work a little better.

Expanding on this - most "LED" TVs aren't fully backlit. They're lit from the edge and have some material between the LEDs and the LCD that attempts to propagate the light across the entire screen. This particular model seems to be fully backlit, which is better than edge-lit.

whatsamattaU

RaisinROM wrote:That's too bad, because that's half the fun of WOOT, and now that I MIGHT have your attention . . . I love Amazon, but they are ruining WOOT and THIS is ONE of the reasons !

And I will also mention that that last WOOT OFF WAS truly the WORST WOOT OFF ever. The number of laptops and TV's was ridiculous, as were the prices . . . and a freaking DRY ERASE board for .99 cents with $5.00 to ship it ?

I hope you staffers read the comments and take them seriously, because you're going the way of NETFLIX !

One slight disagreement. They were monitoring comments before Amazon bought them. I know from observing and personal experience of having my comments sometimes removed.

One other thought. Compared to the Excalibur days for woot-offs, overall this one I thought was no worse and probably better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As long as they sell stuff and people are willing to buy it, that's the bottom line. I'm actually buying as often or more than before Amazon bought them, but when I looked back this week at a few previous woots/woot-offs over the last 5? years, I don't see a big difference OVERALL in what they sold this year woot-off wise and regular (plenty of nitpicking individual items can be done, I realize). Roombas, "dirt", tv's, novelty items, computer/electronics, etc. I'm not saying I'm right, just an opinion.

By the way, what's Netflix ;)

timothy91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothy91

Using this as a computer monitor...for someone that is an active gamer, how is the refresh/redraw rate going to affect a game's visual appeal?

I've used a 42" Sony Bravia (1080p) before in a pinch (sat far away) and even at lower resolutions, it kinda looked like The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000). I'm just wondering if I do the same thing now, if that will happen.

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

wOW, $319 ORIGIONAL PRICE!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05224SL411/Toshiba-24SLV411U.html?tp=35945&kw={keyword}

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

zelgadis123

quality posts: 8 Private Messages zelgadis123

For those thinking of using this as a pc monitor think again. To be used as an accurate and competent PC monitor, a HDTV needs a feature called 4:4:4 chromosampling.

“Chroma subsampling” is a video compression technique used to reduce the bandwidth required for transmitting digital imagery data. This is accomplished by “merging” the colors of neighboring pixels into one. In terms of actual TV picture quality, areas with two neighboring colors (especially red) will seem blurry and fuzzy without proper 4:4:4.

There are *very* few LCD TVs that can fully support 4:4:4 chroma. Since most people have never seen full 4:4:4, they don’t know any better. 4:4:4 support is generally only important for PC connections and game consoles. Pretty much all HD media (including bluray) is already subsampled down to 4:2:2 or lowe.

I did a real quick google of this model and didn't find anything about 4:4:4 feature so I wouldn't assume that this has it. Most this info is from AVS forum and my experience in using a LG 32LD450 in the PC monitor role.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz
RaisinROM wrote:That's too bad, because that's half the fun of WOOT, and now that I MIGHT have your attention . . . I love Amazon, but they are ruining WOOT and THIS is ONE of the reasons !

I just want to AGREE with this post...before IT and Mine are rudely deleted. If we can't have a little fun here with our posts, then there will be little reason to return.

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

slkygrl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slkygrl

I can only hope you guys & gals are listening to this comment and the like. I was afraid this would happen when Woot was sold. I really was shocked by this last Woot-Off. The prices were very high. The selection was repetitive and frankly very very disappointing. Where was the fun stuff? Where were the gizmos and gadgets too cheap to resist. It was all very resistible and disappointing, and the Bundle of Crops server failure was almost immediate. I haven't won one yet but I usually get to the order page. The whole thing was just sad- and much refurbished, more than I recall. I hope this was a one time end of quarter $$$$ raiser. Please let the buyers buy what sells- we are here for Woots, not Snooty-Snoots.

From Edna St. Vincent Millay:
SECOND FIG
SAFE upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

Keep on Dreaming!
slkygrl

whatsamattaU

Batman4oz wrote:I just want to AGREE with this post...before IT and Mine are rudely deleted. If we can't have a little fun here with our posts, then there will be little reason to return.

^^X^^

They don't bother deleting during woot-offs (as you already know, batman) because it's too much work to delete anything except really out of line posts. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to what/how much they're deleting nowadays, or what lines they're drawing on the non-offensive posts. I can see both sides, though.

Their argument is likely that they want to make sure posts related to the product don't get lost in too many non-informative posts (quality posts only get you so much, and we've seen this week how many times the same question gets asked by people not reading the earlier entries), and they would say I would guess, go to the community forums for more "fun" discussions if that's the goal. They do give quality posts for good humurous/interesting posts, and they do allow a good chunk of less important posts, but I understand their approach.

However, it's easier and for people like me, realistically the only place I tend to post in. It is also discouraging to have any posts deleted when you're not being offensive and trying to foster community through humor, etc., which I think is the other point for you and RaisinROM were raising. Being in one place, monitoring the comments for a product we're looking at, and having some fun with it, is what most of us do on woot and related sites.

Oh, well, so far, I have only had a few posts deleted this year (and again, I've had more deleted before Amazon bought woot, but that may be more how I've changed my posts), and I think they'll allow ours (maybe?) to stay. Woot does plenty of things wrong, but I'm more towards middle ground on this one as far as deleting occasionally, it's just where to draw the line without making the wooters angry like this for taking the fun out of woot. I probably didn't add anything original, but hopefully a touch helpful. Sorry for rambling.

whatsamattaU

slkygrl wrote:I can only hope you guys & gals are listening to this comment and the like. I was afraid this would happen when Woot was sold. I really was shocked by this last Woot-Off. The prices were very high. The selection was repetitive and frankly very very disappointing. Where was the fun stuff? Where were the gizmos and gadgets too cheap to resist. It was all very resistible and disappointing, and the Bundle of Crops server failure was almost immediate. I haven't won one yet but I usually get to the order page. The whole thing was just sad- and much refurbished, more than I recall. I hope this was a one time end of quarter $$$$ raiser. Please let the buyers buy what sells- we are here for Woots, not Snooty-Snoots.

On the one hand, I've seen people complain in the past that there were too many cheap things in the past as well, and I get the feeling they're never going to please everyone (and I clearly remember the complaints before Amazon bought them during woot-offs). Nothing new, I guess, but I know what you mean about a fair amount of expensive stuff this time (although I thought they had too many cheap headphones/earbuds on an earlier woot).

On the other hand, I'm guessing when you mean gizmos/gadgets, you mean things like Leak Frogs, Vornado fans, headphones, aquaglobes, breathlyzers, WD-40 pens, USB mugs, power squids, and oven mitts. Am I close? (personally, I'd settle for the Leak Frogs)

boogiecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boogiecat

DANG!!! GEEZE!! Golly Olly! All the negative comments! I've had Toshiba tvs and combos and never yet had problems.

And - more recently, I've been looking for a decent TV/DVD combo bet 22" - 30" WITH 1080p that's not priced over $399 (round it up people! i.e. $400!)

FAHGEDDABOUDIT! Couldn't find one that didn't have REALLY crappy reviews... OR found unheard of brand names - WITH crappy reviews. Eh, ya get what you pay for. Okay, fine.

Then today I saw this and *BAM!* I'm on it. But after reading THESE reviews...? Geeze!

Maybe I just wanna watch TV or a dang DVD with no great electronic expectations!! Yes, I know it should do what it SAYS it's supposed to do - like everything else we buy right? And I expect it to.

So, if it doesn't, well I'll bomb that bridge if/when I get to it.

Thanks!!
bc

"Time's fun when you're having flies!"
~ Kermit The Frog

"Artificial Intelligence is NO match for Natural stupidity"

polluted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polluted

I bought a toshiba TV 6 months ago. It just broke. Dealing with their customer service has been terrible. One of the worst customer service depts i have dealt with

neveraging

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neveraging
stevesds wrote:With Texas tax, this deal is $9 cheaper than Amazon's or B&H's prices.

...Zzzzzz...NO LIFETIME MAPS EITHER...zzzzzz...

Well, at least you have no income tax. And the Alamo.

GH

balls2thewall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages balls2thewall
knmorgan08 wrote:Expanding on this - most "LED" TVs aren't fully backlit. They're lit from the edge and have some material between the LEDs and the LCD that attempts to propagate the light across the entire screen. This particular model seems to be fully backlit, which is better than edge-lit.

Something I don't believe was mentioned yet is that LED diodes are better at maintaining their brightness over time though they do lose about 15% of their brightness in the first few months. I know on florescent laptops a screen will get progressively dimmer as it ages, with a kind of orangeish hue.

Additionally, lifetime expectancy of LEDs are much higher than florescent lamps/CFLs, I think roughly 100k hrs vs about 10k hrs.