ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those worrying about what was missed from the deleted posts, here they are:

Dang, woot off killer already?
Does it come with Lifetime Maps?
Ahh i can finally sleep.
dang too small, I would take a 32"

You'll see that not only did they not add to the product discussion, they really didn't inject much humor. Humor being subjective of course.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that humor is indeed respected and will often remain. Funny AND referred to the product. Two wins.

These are the same guidelines we have used in product threads for the 2+ years I've been modding and no changes in modding have been given to us by Amazon.

The concern is that the non-product posts and discussions can outnumber the informative posts and hinder people from getting the information they want to make their buying decision. Just as this discussion on deleted posts has taken over this thread.

I would like to request that the thread return to product discussion now. Thank you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
balls2thewall wrote:
Additionally, lifetime expectancy of LEDs are much higher than florescent lamps/CFLs, I think roughly 100k hrs vs about 10k hrs.

Everything you said is true, except the numbers. CCFLs should last much longer than 10k, probably 30k for cheap, 60k for better ones. Frankly, the life of the lights in flat panels is going to be much longer than the life of the electronics, these days. I think the most common failure is the inverter/transformer that alters the electricity to what the lamp actually needs. Those are likely to break years before the lamps/bulbs themselves.

Related note: the worst thing you can do to a screen of any sort is to turn it on. The more you turn it on and off, the faster something will break, including the lamps themselves. So don't constantly flip it on for 10 minutes and back off if you want to prolong its life. (of course, that's what we all do with our phones)

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
ThunderThighs wrote:

These are the same guidelines we have used in product threads for the 2+ years I've been modding and no changes in modding have been given to us by Amazon.

I haven't seen any great change, and I've been here awhile. I think you guys are doing fine. As mentioned, there will always be complaints one way or the other.

m3talcore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages m3talcore

Just so everyone knows, this is a TN panel. This means narrow vertical viewing angles and limited color depth. Toshiba doesn't publish even as the viewing angles in the specs so this had to be confirmed by the amazon reviews. (and price) This can be overlooked, test it with a cheap computor monitor, but personally I would just spend the extra money for something decent.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

golncor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages golncor
Batman4oz wrote:I just want to AGREE with this post...before IT and Mine are rudely deleted. If we can't have a little fun here with our posts, then there will be little reason to return.

^^X^^

if you are not here to possible get a deal on something and say Woot! what a deal..., why come here at all?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Would really like to hear from people who have this Toshiba,I'm looking for two bedroom TVs about this size.

postmangerry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages postmangerry

WATCH OUT!!! Toshiba has the absolute WORST customer sevice and parts availability going! You'll get more use out of a 14" Sylvania B&W (that's black and white)! I had nothing but trouble with their similar model

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Sam's Club offers its members the Vizio 22" 1080p WiFI LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. M221NV, for $228.88. (Amazon has it for the same price.) With free shipping, that's the lowest total price we could find by $25, although it was $1 less in July. Sales tax is added where applicable. This HDTV features a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p), edge-lit LED backlight, 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 450 cd/m² brightness, 802.11n wireless connectivity, Vizio Internet App support for streaming Netflix, Amazon VOD, Vudu, and more, two HDMI inputs, VGA, component, and other video inputs.
Per Dealnews.

o2accord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages o2accord
whatsamattaU wrote:Looks like same price with $8.03 shipping, but I'm not willing to give them my email address to confirm the price in the cart.

Just put a fake email address... simple.

CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
postmangerry wrote:WATCH OUT!!! Toshiba has the absolute WORST customer sevice and parts availability going! You'll get more use out of a 14" Sylvania B&W (that's black and white)! I had nothing but trouble with their similar model

Really? I've had a 42" Toshiba Regza for 5 years, loved it, til my son cracked it open with a Wii remote.

I also have a Toshiba HD DVD player that has been serviced and exchanged twice since I purchased it (once WAY out of warranty, for free).

YMMV, but it is true that once people have one bad experience they tend to label a company for life. I'm not exempt, I badmouth Verizon every chance I get...

Also, and this is personal and anecdotal (kind of like all the complains, no matter how much they think they speak for everyone) but the quality of the woots and woot offs has been raised IMO; less crap, more useful gadgets. even the "I LOOOOOOOVE PONIES is THIS" offerings are more interesting. I don't even get how people could even think Amazon, of all companies, would make woot worse.

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick

This is Exactly what we need downstairs. It's the right price, the right specs, EVERYTHING. Unfortunately, I'm broke. Dude. *cries in corner*

adkpb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adkpb
whatsamattaU wrote:Looks like same price with $8.03 shipping, but I'm not willing to give them my email address to confirm the price in the cart.

Just create a junk email address and use it for things like this when places demand your email address just to give you general information. I've got one and I never even check it. Strictly a trash can address.

superstargoddess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess

Ooh, this one is tempting. Hard to justify buying a new tv when my 19 year old dinosaur isn't broken though. Feh.

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev
kjlane wrote:If you are using it as a monitor, you don't need the dvd player as the PC will play it. Unless your PC is from 1998.

Even my PC from 1998 had a DVD player! Maybe the DVD player would be handy if you had it connected to a Macbook Air or a Mac Mini.

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
dliidlii wrote:Sam's Club offers its members the Vizio 22" 1080p WiFI LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. M221NV, for $228.88. (Amazon has it for the same price.) With free shipping, that's the lowest total price we could find by $25, although it was $1 less in July. Sales tax is added where applicable. This HDTV features a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p), edge-lit LED backlight, 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 450 cd/m² brightness, 802.11n wireless connectivity, Vizio Internet App support for streaming Netflix, Amazon VOD, Vudu, and more, two HDMI inputs, VGA, component, and other video inputs.
Per Dealnews.

Well, then, I would definitely pay $25 more for a 24".

I love bacon!

halukucar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages halukucar
ThunderThighs wrote:In product forums, we will delete some posts if they do not refer to the product. Nothing personal.

My comment was referring to the product and it was deleted. I said "This deal sucks, so does the last woot off!"

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

efprofessor

quality posts: 8 Private Messages efprofessor
ThunderThighs wrote:For those worrying about what was missed from the deleted posts, here they are:

Ahh i can finally sleep.

You'll see that not only did they not add to the product discussion, they really didn't inject much humor. Humor being subjective of course.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that humor is indeed respected and will often remain. Funny AND referred to the product. Two wins.

The concern is that the non-product posts and discussions can outnumber the informative posts and hinder people from getting the information they want to make their buying decision. Just as this discussion on deleted posts has taken over this thread.

In this light, I would like to request that the thread return to product discussion now. Thank you.

----

Okay then, can you remove all comments about cats? I have two dogs and am allergic to cats, so I don't find all those cat pix to be very funny. Consider the cat posts during the recent woot off; Not Funny!

I has a hotdog!. Now, that's funny!

Lukeonia1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lukeonia1
markhaas wrote:On Toshiba's web site, it states the native resolution as 1280 x 1080. Normal HD resolution is 1920 x 1080. Typo?

http://us.toshiba.com/tv/TV-DVD-COMBO/24SLV411U

I noticed that too. If that's accurate, then it's false advertising to call this a "1080" HD monitor, because it is only capable of displaying a 720 HD image (1280x720).

Someone had better check on that, methinks....

~Lukeonia1

(I overuse parentheses.)

w786khan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages w786khan

Does any one know if this TV can be wall mounted?

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

Beat spam with the best disposable e-mail service.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

onefastwienerdog

w786khan wrote:Does any one know if this TV can be wall mounted?

VESA Mounting Pattern: 100mm x 100mm = Yes

edheltaur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edheltaur
leonbev wrote:Even my PC from 1998 had a DVD player!

Wow! Then you had a very expensive computer/movie watching machine. By 1998 PC DVD players hadn't even been around for a year (and didn't exist in many parts of the world) and were quite expensive as they were very new and required a separate hardware card to run them. All that just to watch a movie on your CRT as no software would be released on DVD for another few years and you couldn't write anything to them as that technology wasn't invented till 1999.

petenewk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petenewk

Since it says in the specs:
VESA Mounting Pattern: 100mm x 100mm
and has weight with and without stand, I would assume yes.

kaidenshi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kaidenshi
o2accord wrote:Just put a fake email address... simple.

I always use crow@biteme.com when I don't want to give my real address.

I've never had a Toshiba TV, but if it's the same build quality as their lower end laptops, I'll pass. I work on laptops for friends as a hobby, and I've seen by far more Toshibas than any other make come across my work bench, and often the same unit more than once for different problems. And that's not because people buy more of them; I'd say most of the people I know with laptops have Acer, HP, Dell and Sony models in roughly that order. Toshiba and Lenovo are at the bottom of the popularity list, and of those two Lenovo seems to be very reliable.

On another note, my girlfriend recently got a 24" Vizio 1080p TV with a CCFL backlight (I think, it wasn't mentioned on the box) and no DVD player, for roughly this price at Sam's Club. We were in there again a few weeks ago and the price had been slashed to $199 so it may be on clearance. Might be worth checking out...

kaidenshi

edheltaur wrote:Wow! Then you had a very expensive computer/movie watching machine. By 1998 PC DVD players hadn't even been around for a year (and didn't exist in many parts of the world) and were quite expensive as they were very new and required a separate hardware card to run them. All that just to watch a movie on your CRT as no software would be released on DVD for another few years and you couldn't write anything to them as that technology wasn't invented till 1999.

Seconded. My brother had a Gateway machine in early 2000 that had a DVD-ROM, and the motherboard had a special MPEG hardware decoder chip. I believe he paid nearly $400 more for that model to get that functionality.

Also, in early 2002 I helped a friend build a custom "do everything" PC and she had a really high budget and the expectations to go along with it. She insisted on a DVD burner instead of a combo drive, and that part alone set her back over $300.

I think it wasn't until about 2005 that the price of DVD burners for PCs dropped to ~$50 for the OEM units. A similar price ramp can be observed right now with BD drives.

onefastwienerdog

kaidenshi wrote:I always use crow@biteme.com when I don't want to give my real address.

I've never had a Toshiba TV, but if it's the same build quality as their lower end laptops, I'll pass. I work on laptops for friends as a hobby, and I've seen by far more Toshibas than any other make come across my work bench, and often the same unit more than once for different problems. And that's not because people buy more of them; I'd say most of the people I know with laptops have Acer, HP, Dell and Sony models in roughly that order. Toshiba and Lenovo are at the bottom of the popularity list, and of those two Lenovo seems to be very reliable.

On another note, my girlfriend recently got a 24" Vizio 1080p TV with a CCFL backlight (I think, it wasn't mentioned on the box) and no DVD player, for roughly this price at Sam's Club. We were in there again a few weeks ago and the price had been slashed to $199 so it may be on clearance. Might be worth checking out...

I have had Toshiba TV's for over 20 years, Never had one problem, Got a 42" Regza 4 years ago and no problems so far and it's on 14 hours a day.

jctec3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jctec3
kjlane wrote:If you are using it as a monitor, you don't need the dvd player as the PC will play it. Unless your PC is from 1998.

I have 6 or 7 of those laying around. Want one?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
ThunderThighs wrote:For those worrying about what was missed from the deleted posts, here they are:

Ahh i can finally sleep.

I would like to request that the thread return to product discussion now. Thank you.

1. Sorry. Delete my earlier posts if need be.
2. Disposable/nonsense email. That's right. Facepalm. Thanks.
3. Toshiba didn't do well in PCMag's 2010 HDTV readers survey
http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=267315,00.asp

or in PC World's readers survey last fall:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/211088/2010_reliability_and_service_survey_hdtvs.html

but some of the reviews as noted were quite positive here/referenced earlier.

ratmotor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ratmotor

Too funny. Amazon people think Woot sucks, and vice versa.

jakedeez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakedeez

Honestly, this woot makes me want BBQ chicken...

kaidenshi

onefastwienerdog wrote:I have had Toshiba TV's for over 20 years, Never had one problem, Got a 42" Regza 4 years ago and no problems so far and it's on 14 hours a day.

That's good to know! I guess they put more effort into making good TVs than computers, or maybe you've had a great run of luck.

I also know that regardless of the name on the outside of the TV, the components tend to be from half a dozen (or more) manufacturers, and often you will have an otherwise great brand with a bad run of a certain model. You can usually track that down to an LCD panel or inverter or system board made by a substandard OEM who happened to be the low bidder that week. The same goes for laptops (Sony and Apple, I'm looking at you).

m3talcore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages m3talcore
m3talcore differentiates between using this as a television or a monitor. The eternal struggle...

For the record I make no distinction between its use as a television or monitor. Many people are fine with a cheaper television with some color shift, and I have no issue with that. On the flip side many people want monitors with better color reproduction. I'm mere announcing the fact because neither the viewing angles nor panel type are specified and I wouldn't want people assuming otherwise.

onefastwienerdog

kaidenshi wrote:That's good to know! I guess they put more effort into making good TVs than computers, or maybe you've had a great run of luck.

I also know that regardless of the name on the outside of the TV, the components tend to be from half a dozen (or more) manufacturers, and often you will have an otherwise great brand with a bad run of a certain model. You can usually track that down to an LCD panel or inverter or system board made by a substandard OEM who happened to be the low bidder that week. The same goes for laptops (Sony and Apple, I'm looking at you).

I know the Regza we have was made in Canada with Japanese parts. We have the 42" Regza, 2-27" Cinema series and a 20" ;^)>>

azvinnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azvinnie

The ad says it comes with an AC adapter. Does anyone know what voltage it really runs on? Would it run on 12VDC in a camper?

brucem105

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brucem105

When I do a google search using the model number, the three or four sites I checked show this model at 720p, not 1080.

What gives?

And Walmart shows at $279, buy.com at $249, etc. This does not seem to be the same level of deal that I go to woot for.

Bruce

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
brucem105 wrote:When I do a google search using the model number, the three or four sites I checked show this model at 720p, not 1080.

What gives?

And Walmart shows at $279, buy.com at $249, etc. This does not seem to be the same level of deal that I go to woot for.

Bruce

It WAS $249, now $298.50 at buy.com (if the froogle is correct). Best price at the moment $278 new.

tzitzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tzitzi

VESA Mounting Pattern: 100mm x 100mm

This indicates that as long as the wall mount is compatible with this VESA size, it can be.

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
RaisinROM wrote:That's too bad, because that's half the fun of WOOT, and now that I MIGHT have your attention . . . I love Amazon, but they are ruining WOOT and THIS is ONE of the reasons !

And I will also mention that that last WOOT OFF WAS truly the WORST WOOT OFF ever. The number of laptops and TV's was ridiculous, as were the prices . . . and a freaking DRY ERASE board for .99 cents with $5.00 to ship it ?

I hope you staffers read the comments and take them seriously, because you're going the way of NETFLIX !

I am not affiliated with Woot or Amazon.
1. I think they ALWAYS did this.
2. In case you haven't noticed, Woot-offs are mostly the products they have left from the last month since the last Woot-off. If you didn't like the products over the last month, you are probably not going to like the Woot-off either.
3. Everyone who has been around Woot for more than 2 weeks knows that if you like the .99 cent item, it only is worth it if you order 3 and it is not $5.99 with shipping for 1, it is $2.99 each, with shipping.
Now you may argue that the dry erase board is not worth $2.99 and I have no quarrel with that. But if you EVER order a product for less than $5 from Woot and only order 1, you are foolish.

shaywalters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shaywalters
slkygrl wrote:I can only hope you guys & gals are listening to this comment and the like. I was afraid this would happen when Woot was sold. I really was shocked by this last Woot-Off. The prices were very high. The selection was repetitive and frankly very very disappointing.

But yet, the woot-off ended. Had the stuff truly been overpriced, it would have stalled on the first overpriced item. (Well, unless there's some behind-the-scenes manipulation.) I am sorry to say, but Woot! is (and was, pre-Amazon) a business. And if enough people will buy a Zune at $40.99 to sell it out, why should they sell it at $25.99? Not that I want a Zune, mind you. :-) (Woot-Staffers: Hint - More Sanza Fuze's!)