mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
bestiq wrote:Just installed GPS Status... and GPS started working perfect. Its fixed! Thanks!!!



Is this in the Android Market? That the name?

arroyoko


quality posts: 2 Private Messages arroyoko
foglesre wrote:Yes, mine receives calls fine. Make sure Google Voice is set up to transfer calls to Chat.



Thanks, that fixed my problem.

mcg11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcg11
mdyoung216 wrote:Why would you say this is not a tablet? What is this missing that doesn't make it a tablet?



I agree, it's a tiny tablet. It fulfills my urge to have a tablet, which in my case wasn't too strong. The portability of this unit fulfills my main reason for wanting a tablet of any kind. I was looking at 7" screens but now realize that isn't portable enough for me and I'd also get hand/arm fatigue from holding a 7" or larger tablet for any length of time. It depends on what a person wants.

arroyoko


quality posts: 2 Private Messages arroyoko


Does anyone know how to copy Contacts from iPhone to this Samsung Galaxy? I tried to pair them via Bluetooth but got an incompatible devices error.

Thanks!

editorkid


quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
AliBaba007 wrote:My device seems to be working flawlessly. I got GrooveIP, and with the fix the developer came out with, the app works great. I can make and receive calls.

I'm currently in the process of downloading Sygic, a GPS app that downloads all the maps for offline use (since Google's GPS app requires a network data connection). I'll test it out and let you guys know how it turns out. If you're interested in trying it yourself, a working version of it can be found in the torrents.


Maps lets you cache maps for offline use. Enable it in the Labs menu; then just tap whatever area you want to cache.

Jelster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jelster
banai wrote:Mine hasn't. I don't think it's rebooted on itself at all, but I've seen other Androids do that.

I've had three tablets prior to this. In fact, the Galaxy Tab was the one I first noticed it on, but it wasn't unbearably often. I had that for two weeks and it did it maybe five times. I think my Asus did it once (in two weeks), gTablet I never saw it happen (multiple months).

Sorry about yours.



Yeah I'm quite upset about it as short of the lower DPI of the screen I felt the size was great. Guess I'll leave it a week or two and see if there is a firmware update and if not get a refund.

If anyone has anything firm on fixing random reboots and freezes please let me know. I did a total recovery menu format and reset but almost immediately saw it lock to black screen and reset.

bestiq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bestiq
ejeansonne wrote:Does it drain the battery like the reviews say?



I only use the GPS for a short period of time, but it does appear to suck the juice.

bestiq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bestiq
mdyoung216 wrote:Is this in the Android Market? That the name?



GPS Status & Toolbox is the full name... just search for GPS on android market site.

mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
bestiq wrote:GPS Status & Toolbox is the full name... just search for GPS on android market site.


I installed it and it shows I'm in Chicago. The problem is I'm just outside of Baltimore. LOL

Lojack72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lojack72
mdyoung216 wrote:Why would you say this is not a tablet? What is this missing that doesn't make it a tablet?



About two more inches.

I've got a rooted Nook Color, but got this primarily due to the GPS & Cameras. The Samsung has a great screen, going to be my go-to device when flying. Sygic GPS works well also, using instead of CoPilot as the latter crashes and Sygic is very similiar to TomTom interface which I know well.
Only real disappointment is that this doesn't do video out, but I've got a Droid Bionic en route for mobile use (24" TV in my van). The Amazon Fire release depressed me until I realized it didn't have a MicroSD slot, 8GB isn't enough for movies & music.

mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
Lojack72 wrote:

I've got a rooted Nook Color, The Amazon Fire release depressed me until I realized it didn't have a MicroSD slot, 8GB isn't enough for movies & music.



I have one too, but I like this, since even in the case with my mobile hotspot and earbuds, it still fits in my pocket.

I can't see anyone choosing the Fire over the Nook Color because of that. I wonder if they didn't want people Rooting the Fire, so they let off the SD card slot.

nawaf88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nawaf88
gotok wrote:It is the best VOIP solution for this device that I have found so far. I think it is well worth the $5. Just be sure to get the fix for this device which was discussed in a previous post.



Where is the fix for groove ip? I can make calls but the hangup button doesn't work. The galaxy also rings but I can't answer since the buttons don't work. I looked for this fix here but maybe I overlooked it. Anyone want to point me to it?

gotok


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gotok
nawaf88 wrote:Where is the fix for groove ip? I can make calls but the hangup button doesn't work. The galaxy also rings but I can't answer since the buttons don't work. I looked for this fix here but maybe I overlooked it. Anyone want to point me to it?



Your receipt had the developer email address. I sent an email referencing my model number and Woot and asked for the fix. He sent me a link to the fix with install instructions.

mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
nawaf88 wrote:Where is the fix for groove ip? I can make calls but the hangup button doesn't work. The galaxy also rings but I can't answer since the buttons don't work. I looked for this fix here but maybe I overlooked it. Anyone want to point me to it?



I e-mailed them and they sent it to me.

snrb.labs@gmail.com

Tell them none of the keypad keys work, and you need the updated version.

nawaf88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nawaf88
gotok wrote:Your receipt had the developer email address. I sent an email referencing my model number and Woot and asked for the fix. He sent me a link to the fix with install instructions.



mdyoung216 wrote:I e-mailed them and they sent it to me.

snrb.labs@gmail.com

Tell them none of the keypad keys work, and you need the updated version.



Thanks guys!!

brdr159


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brdr159
Jelster wrote:Putting out another call to see if anyone else is getting random reboots and screen-off locks that need a reboot?

Really don't want to RMA this but the thing is useless if it's rebooting and wiping notifications every 15 minutes. It's so bad I've had it in my bag while at work and the battery as died it was rebooting/crashing so much.

I tried looking with catlog to see if there was some clue as to what was causing it but I'm nearing a factory reset to just see if it's a hardware issue.

And I'll second the question on whether we'll get the 2.3.5 update they're showing for the US models being released in a couple of weeks.





I had the same problem.
I got rid of QIK and it seemed to get rid of the problem.Did you install QIK?

omh1009


quality posts: 7 Private Messages omh1009
gotok wrote:Skype just released an update that you may want to try. I am not able to test video chat so I don't know if it works. However, I noticed in the settings where you enable video chat it no longer says "back camera only".


Good to know, thanks.

mdyoung216 wrote:Why would you say this is not a tablet? What is this missing that doesn't make it a tablet?


I agree, it is a 5" tablet. Just like the iPad 3G is a 9.5" iPhone. I say we can call this things whatever we want, the all step onto each other territory.

palmbeach wrote:skype calls would disconnect immediately, which was also fixed when I powered off and back on.


That happens when I Skype my sister in her iPhone. Don't know if steve has something to do with this.

Pinged from Newark NJ, to Fort Worth Texas.

nicewei


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicewei
editorkid wrote:Maps lets you cache maps for offline use. Enable it in the Labs menu; then just tap whatever area you want to cache.



Nice information. Thanks.

Jelster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jelster
brdr159 wrote:I had the same problem.
I got rid of QIK and it seemed to get rid of the problem.Did you install QIK?



I didn't install Qik as it was part of the Rom but I haven't used either. I'm going to try uninstalling it tonight though, thanks.

Edit: Bah, can't uninstall but it did let me 'Force Stop'. Left it on my desk with the app manager and in a few minutes I hear it vibrate and home screen starts to reload. :/

ralphgot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ralphgot
Jelster wrote:Putting out another call to see if anyone else is getting random reboots and screen-off locks that need a reboot?

Really don't want to RMA this but the thing is useless if it's rebooting and wiping notifications every 15 minutes. It's so bad I've had it in my bag while at work and the battery as died it was rebooting/crashing so much.

I tried looking with catlog to see if there was some clue as to what was causing it but I'm nearing a factory reset to just see if it's a hardware issue.

And I'll second the question on whether we'll get the 2.3.5 update they're showing for the US models being released in a couple of weeks.



Mine is working fine.

mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
nicewei wrote:Nice information. Thanks.



The measuring distance between two points function is nice too.

gotok


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gotok
editorkid wrote:Maps lets you cache maps for offline use. Enable it in the Labs menu; then just tap whatever area you want to cache.


Is this still available? I went to Google Maps on my PC, then under settings "Maps Labs". I have seven features which I can enable/disable, but caching is not one of them. What am I missing? Is the enabling done on the device?

UPDATE: Ignore my question, I found that it is done on the device:

lutra1234


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lutra1234

The reason the front-facing camera doesn't work in apps like Skype is that support for third-party apps accessing the front-facing camera wasn't added until Android 2.3. Since this device runs Android 2.2.2, it won't work. However, once/if we get updated to 2.3.x, it should work without rooting.

snrblabs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snrblabs
mdyoung216 wrote:I e-mailed them and they sent it to me.

snrb.labs@gmail.com

Tell them none of the keypad keys work, and you need the updated version.



We posted the beta up on our facebook site. Can get it from there. Think this is a direct link to the post: link

Wish I had seen it when these were up on woot, would have bought one.

mcg11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcg11

Does anyone have ideas about a good car mount for this? There are so many options out there and they all get mixed reviews in terms of quality and how effective they are. I live in California and the law is pretty restrictive about mounting things on the windshield (can only be mounted on a five inch square on the lower driver's side of the windshield, and the dashboard is also technically illegal). I'm not sure about getting a bracket that will work for this non-standard size, either, since there are no custom brackets as there are for GPS devices.

ChrisW6ATV


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChrisW6ATV
bestiq wrote:Just installed GPS Status... and GPS started working perfect. Its fixed! Thanks!!!


I am glad to hear that.

mdyoung216


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216
ChrisW6ATV wrote:I am glad to hear that.



I finally got the GPS and the GPS Test app to work on mine by going into the Google Latitude and turning on share my location and record my location. Once I did that in the parking lot at work it followed my route all the way home and the GPS Test app monitored my speed.

ChrisW6ATV


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChrisW6ATV

I found a solution for sharing your Internet data from a cell phone with this device, if you can already tether your phone to a computer via USB. Actually, there are two versions (plug-in-only, and battery-powered), and at least two manufacturers. It is a Zoom 4501 Wireless-N Router. (The battery-powered version is the model 4506.) Using a Windows phone that has the Internet Sharing program (such as Sprint), you simply activate your data connection, start the sharing program, plug the phone's USB cable into the Zoom router, and connect to the "Zoom" wireless network on the Galaxy. It was really that simple. I did this in five minutes in the Fry's parking lot.

The same device is available from Aluratek as the CDW530AM, as well as the CDM530AM battery-powered version. Fry's, Micro Center, and others sell one or more of these models. Note that neither company specifically lists all of the phone models that will work with the procedure I listed, but it is posted that way on Aluratek's Web site.

I drove all the way home with the Google Navigation program updating its maps on the fly and had no problems.

gotok


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gotok
ChrisW6ATV wrote:I found a solution for sharing your Internet data from a cell phone with this device, if you can already tether your phone to a computer via USB. Actually, there are two versions (plug-in-only, and battery-powered), and at least two manufacturers. It is a Zoom 4501 Wireless-N Router. (The battery-powered version is the model 4506.) Using a Windows phone that has the Internet Sharing program (such as Sprint), you simply activate your data connection, start the sharing program, plug the phone's USB cable into the Zoom router, and connect to the "Zoom" wireless network on the Galaxy. It was really that simple. I did this in five minutes in the Fry's parking lot.

The same device is available from Aluratek as the CDW530AM, as well as the CDM530AM battery-powered version. Fry's, Micro Center, and others sell one or more of these models. Note that neither company specifically lists all of the phone models that will work with the procedure I listed, but it is posted that way on Aluratek's Web site.

I drove all the way home with the Google Navigation program updating its maps on the fly and had no problems.



That is interesting. I have a Sprint HTC Touch Pro2 that I can tether to any device that supports ad hoc wifi connections. Unfortunatly, this device does not. I. have seen procedures for rooting Android devices and enabling ad hoc wifi. I have no experience with such hacking, but if anyone has successfully done it on this device please share how it was done.

jinwooim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinwooim

Is it 8GB? As I checked the total disk storage, it's only 5GB. Can you explain it? Thanks.

skwatch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skwatch

Several have asked about a flashlight that worked on this unit to activate the photo LED. SimpleTorch at the Android Market seems to work.

arofreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arofreak

I have to say, I love this new litle toy of mine! Thank to all of you for sharing your experiences. I have been thinking of buying an ipod touch for awhile now, but was hesitent for a few reasons - this baby far surpasses what the touch can do - and adds more features that I wish the touch DID have!

I bought screen protectors and a set of 2 protective gel cases (from Hong Kong) off of Ebay shortly after I ordered this. I received the Galaxy on Monday, the screen protectors on Tuesday, and the cases on Thursday - oddly enough, they all shipped on the same day!

The screen protectors were a pack of 6 from seller "kknsell", and although a tad bit thick, fit and work perfectly. I'm more impressed with the case from seller "smokydiscount". It was sold as a 2 pack, and I expected a thin, silicone covering. The case is a thick gel, almost like a hard case. It fits perfectly, and the only "extra" cutout it has is on the top right corner where I believe the antenna would be. It is slightly "tacky", not slick, but has a slick, high shine look to it. I spent less than $8 on both items with free shipping - they turned out much better than I had hoped.

Still playing with the Galaxy and love reading this forum to pick up any new tips. So far, this has been the best woot ever!

stususs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stususs
arofreak wrote:The screen protectors were a pack of 6 from seller "kknsell", and although a tad bit thick, fit and work perfectly. I'm more impressed with the case from seller "smokydiscount". It was sold as a 2 pack, and I expected a thin, silicone covering. The case is a thick gel, almost like a hard case. It fits perfectly, and the only "extra" cutout it has is on the top right corner where I believe the antenna would be. It is slightly "tacky", not slick, but has a slick, high shine look to it. I spent less than $8 on both items with free shipping - they turned out much better than I had hoped.



Hello arofreak,

Other posters have recommended highly the Skinomi skin protector. One Skinomi skin protector costs more than the six protectors that you purchased from "kknsell." Are you satisfied with (1) the screen protector's clarity, (2) the ease of installation, and (3) the lack of interference with the touch screen's capabilities?

As for the case you purchased from "smokydiscount," was it the "hard" case or the slightly less expensive "soft" case?

With the case on the device, is it still able to fit into a shirt pocket or a suit jacket inside pocket?

Thank you.

Batman4oz


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

I think I bought the same soft/gel case and screen protectors...haven't gotten them yet, though.

And, just as I feared...the novelty is beginning to wear off! Now I want a Bigger one! There are SO many out there now, with more popping up everyday! The prices are dropping, the quality and features going up...this little 5-incher will probably be given to my niece soon, and she will probably think it is too 'old!'
Ah...technology.
(But I AM hooked on 'Drag Racing!')

Good little consumers, we!

^^X^^


Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

banai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages banai
jinwooim wrote:Is it 8GB? As I checked the total disk storage, it's only 5GB. Can you explain it? Thanks.



I asked this earlier. Someone suggested that the other 3GB may be a different partition or reserved for apps, something like that.

bossusa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossusa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280709699488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

just received this case, fits very well, nice grip, not slippery. i am impressed.

also screen protector for cheap, nice fit as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260851459060?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

tim74


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74
bossusa wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/280709699488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

just received this case, fits very well, nice grip, not slippery. i am impressed.

also screen protector for cheap, nice fit as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260851459060?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649



Is it as pictured in the auction with the extra cutouts you don't need?

arofreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arofreak
stususs wrote:Hello arofreak,

Other posters have recommended highly the Skinomi skin protector. One Skinomi skin protector costs more than the six protectors that you purchased from "kknsell." Are you satisfied with (1) the screen protector's clarity, (2) the ease of installation, and (3) the lack of interference with the touch screen's capabilities?

As for the case you purchased from "smokydiscount," was it the "hard" case or the slightly less expensive "soft" case?

With the case on the device, is it still able to fit into a shirt pocket or a suit jacket inside pocket?

Thank you.



So far, I am happy with the screen protectors, there's no interference with the touch screen, when the screen is lit, you don't realize it's on at all - when it's off, unless there's a blemish, you really can't tell it's on - just some finger smudges. I mentioned they are a bit thick, which is fine with me to handle little scratches and such - but I cannot vouch for how long they will stay "perfect" - that will come with age. Putting them on was as simple as lining it up on the phone and rubbing out the air bubbles (if any). I bent the corner putting the first one on - it stayed on, but you could see the crease, so off it went and a new one was applied. I'm happy to swap them more often for the price I paid, if necessary.

I love the case. It's not a flimsy silicone like case - more of a harder, formed gel. It's probably just over a mm thick, but it's not a hard rigid plastic-like case. It doesn't add much bulk to it at all, and is shiny black just like the screen. I can imagine that you could still stick it in your pocket.

For the price I paid for these items, and free fast shipping - I'm extremely happy with these items. I know you get what you paid for, but these surpassed my expectations for the cost.

tim74


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74
momrox1 wrote:Thanks for the info but I did exactly what you said. It loads onto the sd card perfectly and comes up with the picture and plays and pauses like you said but if I pause and change screens and play something else, when I come back to it, it starts from the beginning again. My goal is to be able to pause and resume at a later time. These files are 4+ hours so I really need this feature that my zune had..help!!



I see the problem now. That's probably more a function of the program being used. If I fire the podcast directly from the file list but pause and then exit, the device treats the pause like a full stop of the player and exits the program when using the back or home button.

BUT if I use the music icon on the bottom of the player, use the search to find the podcast and run it that way, if I pause Stern I can still find the track in pause mode in that pull down menu at the home screen screen where wifi and such can be turned on. It didn't seem to go away after running other programs.

Actually, sometimes the player wasn't listed in the pull down but if I used the music icon again, the podcast either came directly up or I could click the "now playing" button and the show would be paused where it was.

You might find other players on the android market that may be more flexible.

But as long as you fire up the player and select the track, that seems to work the way you want it though the player may unload it if it needs the memory and I'm sure if you play any other audio file that would close the podcast track.

Best bet prob would be to use a player from the market just to play those Stern files so that player could hold the pause for you while you use the built in player for other things.

tim74


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74
skwatch wrote:Several have asked about a flashlight that worked on this unit to activate the photo LED. SimpleTorch at the Android Market seems to work.



Didn't work for me. There were two with that name but one didn't do LED.