WootyWootWoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WootyWootWoot
justmenan wrote:Well if you feel old, my first computer had 2 X 5 1/4 Floppy Drives. I know most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. It was the mid 70's. LOL

Same here! Two 720kb (combined they were actually MORE than a single megabyte! WOW!) floppies. Of course I had to boot off one of them, but still they were only 1/93206 times smaller than this drive! (if my math was correct.. no promises)

bryonsean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryonsean
coffeenogrumpy wrote:facebook said i was awesome too..

You are awesome, darlin'. That's how the best liars work; tell enough of the truth and you'll believe the lie...

ronzo911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronzo911
apportum wrote:hyuk. My first personal computer used cassette tape! I am very old.

My first computer had an eraser on the end on it!

Ronzo911

jcamardo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcamardo
jaburg wrote:Hard drives? Dude, we used magnetic audio cassettes to store data. And that was brand new at the time!

How about punch cards! Now I really feel old!

philpalmieri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philpalmieri

Is it washing machine safe too?

jonmrosen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonmrosen

Wrapped in silicon? Is that Silicon like Silicon Valley or a silicon chip? Or is it Silicone, the soft putty like gel?

Keng1071

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keng1071

My first computer had 2MB ram and I Installed A 620MB HHD-thought I was styling. No I can create and install an image from something that fits in my pocket! You've gotta love technology. Now running a Quadcore w/6GB ram and 2.8 TB HHD.

Zeno

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Zeno
TrifeVT wrote:I don't know if there has ever been a time where I've wished that my USB drive was waterproof... Seems like a weird combination. Like a bulletproof dishwasher.

suppose you have data on that stick and you need to make it disappear. Is it small enough to swallow? and would the data survive a number of hours submerged?

mbasilepa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbasilepa

Wait, it only works with Windows OR Mac??? What if I have both a Mac and a Windows machine? Do I have to get two???

JuantonJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JuantonJohn
CivlDX wrote:I thought all flash drives were water proof? I've sent a few through the washing machine a couple of times while in my pockets, and they worked fine without losing my data...

We sent this couple on a three week honeymoon. ... all expenses paid, (shows hand inputting three coins into dryer, couple in dryer) JUST TO PROVE A POINT!

bruisedquasar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bruisedquasar
Iamkar33m wrote:I purchased three centon memory sticks before, not one of them lasted more than 1 month before corrupting data. Never again...

You heavy users of USB Flash always want to use flash like a hard drive when you know you cannot do that many read writes on daily basis and expect them to last long. You need to tell people HOW YOU USED IT.

bruisedquasar

mbasilepa wrote:Wait, it only works with Windows OR Mac??? What if I have both a Mac and a Windows machine? Do I have to get two???

How many buyers want to use one USB Flash on PCs and MACs? Good to point out for the few who do but unfair to post it as a flaw. Why not format differently so you can use it on both, eh?

bruisedquasar

Zeno wrote:suppose you have data on that stick and you need to make it disappear. Is it small enough to swallow? and would the data survive a number of hours submerged?

A lot of people, college students for example, use mobile computers and Flash. They often take flash with them, carrying it in a pocket or backpack. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize there is a real danger of it getting soaked. Forgetting USB in shirt or pants pockets when they go into the laundry is common. Some brand name regular flash have been reported to survive such mishaps, Nice to have a water proof flash that is very likely to survive the washing machine.

kporter85db

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kporter85db
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

My first PC (not a laptop) didn't have a hard drive. It only had two 5.5 inch floppies. You loaded the program you wanted to run with one and used the other for data.

I feel ancient!

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

This sounds like a great idea in theory but terrible in practicality - I.E. the perfect impulse buy. I only use thumb drives as temporary storage as I am in production on various shows and using a thumb drive is perfect for getting an updated script or graphics deck. If the info is on my thumb drive for more than three days, that is alot and it never approaches 64 gigs! Everything that I have read about thumb drives says you should never think of them as long term storage. Aside from never needing anything this large, the reviews on this would never convince me this is a good idea.

rwheadon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rwheadon

Posh on the temporary comment, I had a couple linux machines running off of thumbdrives for years since they kept virtually everything in memory.

I could easily run my virtual machine off of this and get rid of that cumbersome external HDD.

It's worth a try

In for one.

rich

bruisedquasar

SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

Either way, this is a kickass deal.

My first laptop didn't have a hard drive. My first desktop drive attracted people from all over the neighborhood wanting to see the 10 mega byte hard drive owned by a mere private person! My first computer used regular cassette tapes to load & run programs and to save files. In AM, turned on my Commodore Pet Computer, put in PaperClip Word Processor cassette, ate breakfast, returned and Paperclip was ready to be used.

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
azsteved wrote:This is the way I roll:

https://www.ironkey.com/demo-personal

I wish I had a roll of bills to afford a few Ironkeys.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
nitebrain wrote:Now that the Amazon honeymoon is over, can we please ditch the stupid cutesy stories in the product description already?

So OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!. We just want to read about the dang thing.

You don't know Woot very well now, do you? Creative write ups is what sets them apart from any other place selling crappy items.

devandineen1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devandineen1

w00t finally ripped us off. This thing cost $20 for more memory in walmart or kmart or even ebay have fun overpaying suckers!

Devan Dineen

drmurdoc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages drmurdoc

Tempting and it is
waterproof
or sorta waterproof

maybejet

Zeno wrote:suppose you have data on that stick and you need to make it disappear. Is it small enough to swallow? and would the data survive a number of hours submerged?

Is that an African Swallow or a European Swallow?

smokingmods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smokingmods

my kingston travel mate has gills its been in the washing machine so many times its not funny. Its never so much as lost a bit of data.

So, yeah I am pretty sure claiming this one is water proof is kind of silly. That's like saying fish are water proof, well duh.

uhm, what are you looking at?

no seriously, what are you looking for ?
there is NOTHING HERE FOR YOU. Go home, the movie is over, really it's over. You can go now.

bruisedquasar

vikingboy7 wrote:Video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHg4npoQX0E

Nice find. Only problem is this Buy.com sales hype discusses 64GB but the speakers shows a factory sealed 64GB unit and says it is Mac & PC compatible.

rob3173

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rob3173
JDAWGRULZ wrote:I got you beat... 2x... Timex Sinclair with 4K of memory & a TI 99-4A with 16K (32K with Peripheral expansion unit).... Both used magnetic tape for external storage. Now I'm the one feeling old.

I still have my TI 99-4A!! Still works, and about once a year I dust it off to play Tunnels of Doom!

dbcooper

quality posts: 16 Private Messages dbcooper
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

My first portable PC ( a Compaq Luggable ) had two 5 1/4 floppy drives. My first PC had a 180k single sided 5 1/4 floppy (Tandy Model I) I marvel at technology AND feel very, very old.

<life>...insert something interesting here...</life>

sintz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sintz

A lot of talk about 3MB per second. All the work files and utilities I store on these things are small files so speed wont impact anything. It's all a matter of use. If you are going to store CD and DVD images on it, it's a bad deal. If you are going to store utilities, mp3's, small movies etc, it's a great deal.

Just to put it all in perspective.

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

I had the forerunner of this which was the Sinclair ZX-80. It was white and only had 1K of memory for its 4 bit processor (integer numeric). But like another poster said, this was my first computer and I took it home on a Friday night and I'm not sure if I slept that weekend but by Monday morning I learned BASIC well enough to make moving block-graphics on the screen. NOW I ARE A IT PROFESSIONAL!!!

sdc100 wrote:It was the Timex Sinclair here in the US, and I still have mine. Being a ghetto boy, I was never able to afford any memory upgrade. I couldn't type for more than 10 mins on the membrane keyboard, which was smaller than those on most netbooks.

bruisedquasar

SaratogaJerry wrote:Oh, it's a DataStick Sport! I have one on my keychain right now - 16GB.

Expect to lose the cap within days of carry-around use... .

I have owned many major brand name USB Flash sticks and cards since they came out. Never had one die on me. I consider the caps a nuisance. I toss them in a drawer. I give them away when I switch to significatly larger flash. People I give them too still use them all or gave them to an older child who uses them still. I keep the cap to include when I give them away. If you wear clean clothes and do not store dirt or loose food in your pocket the caps really are not needed.

snackpants

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snackpants
likeaferio wrote:Very slow!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220506
up to 27mb/s read and 25mb/s write

I am rockin' a Patriot XT 32GB... LOVE IT!

-JSP

mbasilepa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbasilepa
Cobaltqube wrote:Yup feeling old here too.. I've used 8" floppies and cassette tapes and even dats and 40mb tapes the size of a small paperback book.. But my first computer blows ya all out of the water.. Would love to see something with this kind of computing power here on woot some night ;-) lol !

You see that every time there's a woot-off. It's what's powering the Bundle of Crops order process.

[Edit]
Yup, I'm unoriginal and didn't read all of the comments.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
textunclear wrote:I've always wanted to go swimming with a pocket full of media. This is a dream come true! Now if I can just find a waterproof computer....

Your wish has come true.. http://compare.ebay.com/like/400175633389?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

TC1 USCG Ret

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin

"Kimberly and me" and NOT "Kimberly and I". What are you? Some type of engineer? ;)

bruisedquasar

halnwheels wrote:I had the forerunner of this which was the Sinclair ZX-80. It was white and only had 1K of memory for its 4 bit processor (integer numeric). But like another poster said, this was my first computer and I took it home on a Friday night and I'm not sure if I slept that weekend but by Monday morning I learned BASIC well enough to make moving block-graphics on the screen. NOW I ARE A IT PROFESSIONAL!!!

Sinclair was world's most manufactured and used computer until about 1995. Clive Sinclair is a genius. He designed computers using off the shelf parts, which resulted in his not becoming a billionaire like tech stupid Steven Jobs and Bill Gates. Soviet Bloc countries and China made millions of knock offs. Easy to do since, they were made from knock off parts. Sinclair invented the program cartridge which Japanese game companies stole for Nintendo, Atari, GameBoy,

My first true portable computer was the Sinclair Z-88. Weighed under 2 pounds, one inch thick, complete business set of programs include on ROM memory. Ran on two AA alkaline batteries. Instant on, programs loaded instantly. When you powered off everything was saved exactly where you powered off. Had to buy from a one man importer. Cost me a big $300 in...1989.

Apple calls something like it a Tablet. The Z-88 had a real keyboard. Used British Basic and included a programming book. Three small game like slots on the bottom for software cartridges and addition memory.

maybejet

devandineen1 wrote:w00t finally ripped us off. This thing cost $20 for more memory in walmart or kmart or even ebay have fun overpaying suckers!

I'd like to know where your Wal-Mart is located...I think I am pretty sure where your head is!

bruisedquasar

mbasilepa wrote:You see that every time there's a woot-off. It's what's powering the Bundle of Crops order process.

[Edit]
Yup, I'm unoriginal and didn't read all of the comments.

I grew up in Japan. All the store clerks used Abacus for checkout, even at JC Penny. In 1970s switched to calculators and cash registers. 1980s switched back to Abacus. Found it was faster, less troublesome, less training required. Every school kid is master of abacus by junior high. But...in Japan children do not have game machines or cable TV. They want to learn.

bargeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargeon

Waterproof up to 1.8M ! and just look at those features:
-- A round hole. No cheap square holes for this guy
-- Works with a PC or a MAC. A terrific breakthrough
-- An if that's not enough to make you flip your watertight lid: Interior plastic housing for strength

Everything but the pink slip Daddy!

etcbeatty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etcbeatty

Either way, this is a kickass deal.

My first hard drive was 20MB. Where's my cane...

I don't know if I want to have 64GB of information in my pocket. Kinda makes my brain feel insignificant (but at least attached)

dcflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcflip
textunclear wrote:I've always wanted to go swimming with a pocket full of media. This is a dream come true! Now if I can just find a waterproof computer....

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO COMPUTING ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POOL, LET US KNOW WHEN A WATERPROOF LAPTOP BECOMES AVAILABLE.

Smitelight

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Smitelight
sykotek wrote:
The speed would be the equivalent of a Class 2 SD card. ...or a turtle walking to a table at turtle height from 10 feet away, picking up a loaded gun and blowing its turtle brains out.

Gestures a gun, places fingers in mouth...Blam!

Thanks, jerk. Do you have any idea how much Monster Energy drinks hurt coming out of me via nostril?

+1