Wamps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wamps
sufficiency wrote:Oh by the way, according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_bed

Air beds made of PVC vinyl plastic can be poisonous. I wonder what material is this bed made of.

it's made of polyester

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

this actually looks like it will be a good air bed.

JohnCanfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnCanfield
Krumlov wrote:OH MY LORD I NEED THIS!

Is it comfortable to sleep in the middle of the mattress or is it an obvious separation in the middle?

We have a full size Queen Sleep Number mattress in the motorhome and it really isn't that comfortable in the center, but that hasn't been an issue at all. Even if only one of us is the bed, we tend to stick to our respective side.

I find our Sleep Number bed extremely comfortable and would like one for the house. If you're lucky, this Woot offered bed would be a comparable analog to the Sleep Number product.

Oh, the Sleep Number pump is fairly noisy, but it is rarely in use, so no big deal.

theengine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theengine
Robearlbms wrote:Walmart review:

I weigh 375, my wife 175, and the bed takes all we can dish out lol

ewwwww!

I 2nd that ewww.

charwoman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman
adventrising wrote:My wife and I slept on an aerobed for the first year we were married because we were so broke. I can't speak for this serta model, but air beds can be a long term replacement to a normal bed.

Agreed. Four years ago we switched our king spring mattress to two self-pumping twin mattresses and a king memory foam topper. We've had to replace a single airbed two times in four years, at about 65$ each, but it's still a lot cheaper than a sleep number bed. We intended it as a trial but it's serving fine until we get around to decorating the bedroom.

It's been much better for us both, but it's not the exact same size and shape as a king and doesn't quite fit in our sheets as well as we'd like. This one takes standard sheets and looks like a good deal for trying the airbed+foamtop combo before investing in a mattress (and bedroom furniture) with a longer lifespan. Bet this would last a year or more with two people sleeping on it, if treated carefully.

immystic99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages immystic99
theengine wrote:I 2nd that ewww.

And I add a EEE-YUCK!!

That's one vision I didn't need this early in the morning!

im4kingdom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages im4kingdom
wwoot wrote:Indeed it does float, and very high in the water -- maybe too high for ocean navigation. It capsizes easily in high seas unless you add outriggers on all 4 sides. Then you can add an inflatable sail, inflatable rudder, and an inflatable(?) anchor to make it a mini Kon-Tiki.

Better bring a hand air pump or a long extension cord, too.

Avast ye maties! What about an inflatable pirate flag? Arrrgh!

charwoman

Sokudoningyou wrote:I agree. I have an air mattress similar to a Sleep Number bed that I bought at Overstock.com for $400. It's basically a "box" made out of memory foam pieces into which the air bladder itself sits, all zipped into a microfiber covering. And it is so much more comfortable than the piece of junk spring mattress I used to have. It's been five years and it's still going strong.

I know the bed you mention--it's the one we plan to upgrade our current ad-hoc [two twin airbeds] + [king foam topper] to. Glad you've been happy with it.

No Springs!

Kenbowen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kenbowen
bspencerco wrote:Anyone know the dimensions of this when NOT inflated?

Folds into 17" x 11" x 21" when deflated into bag, according to Wentzel's web site.

charwoman

jgmcgowan wrote:I'm in a furnished condo, with what I think is a 20 yo mattress. Can I use this long term? (Say 9 months) without hurting my back?

I'd say so, if you're conscientious about Pointy Things. Get a memory foam topper and you'll never look back.

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

In regards to comments about "cheap camping mattresses"; they leak after a few uses; you can pick them up from Walmart for $10 on black friday.

That isn't what these are. I don't have a Serta brand- I think ours is air bed (or something like that)... Quality air mattresses are miles better than the camping kind.

I can't talk to the quality of Serta- but this kind usually inflates itself- is WAAAAAYYYY more comfortable than a regular matress (we've had guests say tell us it is more comfortable than their expensive mattresses at home).

Ours has lasted a few years now being used 5 or 6 times a year.

These things are great- and other than having cats (which I'm sure would EVENTUALLY find a way to destroy them)- I would probably replace our regular mattress with one of these in a heartbeat.

I'm not getting one because I already have one... but I would highly recommend these... Why waste space on a regular mattress bed- when these come out for guests and inflate in minutes.

++ from me.

mixotika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixotika
sufficiency wrote:Oh by the way, according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_bed

Air beds made of PVC vinyl plastic can be poisonous. I wonder what material is this bed made of.

Mmmmm, Are ya planning on eating it after it deflates...?

wendellc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wendellc

would the serta queen air bed use batteries or ac unit

richlang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages richlang

Anyone know if the bed can be flipped back on top of each other to form a higher single bed?

cordertj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cordertj
swhang wrote:Anyone know if the pump is universal voltage or is it just 120v?

Based on the picture of the pump (and the picture alone), I would guess it'll only play nice with 120v.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Do these things float? We like to take air mattresses and go floating down the river on them. Far more comfortable than an inner tube.

Well, I'll let you know how they work. In for 3.

really?

DenverDsigner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DenverDsigner

Post apocalyptic or at Burning Man, the thing won't work without electricity.

Heavyweight? Use the floor and a camping pad and exercise!

QuadzillaXXX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuadzillaXXX

reminds me of a sleep number bed, which is the most uncomfortable bed of all time

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn

Sure wish the sheep came with this!

jcflman

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman
richlang wrote:Anyone know if the bed can be flipped back on top of each other to form a higher single bed?

Good question. I'm also confused what the pump is for. I thought this was an airbed. Don't you just open the hole and let the air go in???

ctom3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctom3
bspencerco wrote:Found it:

Folds into 17" x 11" x 21" when deflated into bag.

So, it's a bit bigger than a full size microwave when deflated!

... and you can't fry bacon in it!

rebamjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rebamjr

Have one. Bulky, 2 chambers on Queen = less than twin ea side. Seam in middle bothersome. Impossible to fold back in 2 bag.Motor noisy.

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy
rebamjr wrote:Have one. Bulky, 2 chambers on Queen = less than twin ea side. Seam in middle bothersome. Impossible to fold back in 2 bag.Motor noisy.

I like your succinct, and to the point, description.

Me Tarzan, you Jane.

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

RonnyBoy

djrmsn wrote:Sure wish the sheep came with this!

Not touching this comment with a ten foot pole. Oops! Forget about the pole allusion. Just say I'm not commenting on the comment.

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

RonnyBoy

sanssona wrote:Q? for someone who owns this model... how noisy is it to inflate? I have an inexpensive Coleman with a seperate blower and it is like running a lawnmower in the house. As well as being aggravating to set up.

Truth be told, here's a piece of information that wasn't shown in the description. You only have to use the air blower ONCE, and that's to INFLATE it. You don't need to use it again to DEFLATE it. AND you use it ONCE when you want to use the mattress, and NOT EVERY time before you go sleep on it, i.e. you don't need to inflate it every time just before bedtime.

My contribution to the Wooters who are not as gifted intellectually as the rest of us are.

alantha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alantha

How can I cancel my order I placed today?

meadowlark

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meadowlark
RonnyBoy wrote:Truth be told, here's a piece of information that wasn't shown in the description. You only have to use the air blower ONCE, and that's to INFLATE it. You don't need to use it again to DEFLATE it. AND you use it ONCE when you want to use the mattress, and NOT EVERY time before you go sleep on it, i.e. you don't need to inflate it every time just before bedtime.

Actually, having a lot of large airbed use experience, the bed may need to have a bit of air added now and then. The pump on many air beds will heat the air as they initially fill (because the pump gets warm), then cool down over the next few hours. The volume will decrease later and require more pumping, which may be in the middle of the night while everyone else is sleeping.

Additionally, as the air cools down from the initial filling, an air bed can feel significantly cooler later and remains that way if it is a large bed (more than a thin cheap air mattress). One's body heat is not sufficient to heat the air, so it robs body heat. If one is not aware that one is feeling cold because the bed itself is full of cold air, one may pile on many blankets and still not be able to feel warm. I suspect that is the reason this Serta has an additional pillow top.

When I use my queen Intex airbed, I put on a layer of egg carton foam, a heated mattress pad, then a regular mattress pad over the bed before adding sheets. A few hours after the initial filling, I keep the heated pad on at least low to keep the bed from chilling down.

I have only had leaks in an airbed when used on carpet. There seems to always be pointy things hidden in carpets!

meadowlark

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meadowlark
markanolan wrote:P.S. I don't like the picture they assigned me. Where's the WOOT complaint box?

Click on your avatar and a screen opens to change it.

firstcrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firstcrack

I share my bed with 4 pooches. How sturdy are the sides? Would the be easily pierced by a doggies toenails?

planetsuze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages planetsuze
sdc100 wrote:Looks like it can. Resembles a coffin though...

LMAO!!! You're right!

We do need one, though, for camping. Our last one got sacrificed by the cats. And this looks perfect. :-D

imtheother1666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imtheother1666
sufficiency wrote:Can anyone tell me if this can be used as a permanent bed? Is this supposed to be durable? Or is this supposed to be something which one sleeps on once on a blue moon?

I am really in need of a bed soon which I will sleep on myself.

If you're not in need of a dual comfort air mattress, i would suggest the Intex Pillow Rest Queen Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump from Amazon for ~$60. I've slept on it for months and have had no issues with it. It's high off the ground and very comfortable.

Robearlbms

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Robearlbms

Where men are men, and sheep.....are nervous.

sorry it had to be said.

Robearlbms

My contribution to the Wooters who are not as gifted intellectually as the rest of us are.[/quote]

From the sayings of Homer: "Lord help me I'm just not that bright".

theteabegreen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theteabegreen
Helixthree wrote:How about 'magic' time with your ladyyy...id like a real bed for burning man

I was also thinking of this for Burning Man next year. The playa killed the air mattress I took this year.

charwoman

theteabegreen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theteabegreen

So the air pump is electric. Can it be inflated without plugging it in? Does it have a battery/handpump option? If not, how can you take it camping or to Burning Man?

What is the point of an air mattress if you can't inflate it without electricity? Unless other options are available, this is never gonna make it into my zombie survival kit.

Robearlbms

charwoman wrote:

Awwwww. Look how cuuute.

Sheep: "Slow your row, baby, Slow your row"

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
richlang wrote:Anyone know if the bed can be flipped back on top of each other to form a higher single bed?

I don't think that's advisable since the bottom is probably unsuitable for sleeping, i.e. it may be unflocked, textured for the wear and tear of ground wear, etc. If you fold the bed, you'd be sleeping on the bottom side. Also, since the pump is on one side, chances are that the tube which allows air to flow from the pump side to the other side isn't very flexible. YOu probably can't bend it that much,

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
jcflman wrote:Good question. I'm also confused what the pump is for. I thought this was an airbed. Don't you just open the hole and let the air go in???

You're kidding, right? Air doesn't go in for no reason. The electric pump forces the air in.

Robearlbms

Robearlbms wrote:Awwwww. Look how cuuute.

Sheep: "Slow your row, baby, Slow your row"

Referring to Dione Sanders commercial for those not familiar.