sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

Omigawd, Two-for-Tuesday really is back!!!

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender
disturbed0ne wrote:Square is the new round.

Incidentally, making them into the original cube shape they shipped in will be substantially less difficult.

But these aren't square, they're cuboidal.

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

Hooray, two for Tuesday has returned! And it looks like they're selling mini-Borg cubes tonight as well.

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

not impressed...zen magnets are currently field testing their trapezoid model.

sdc100

Interesting ... these cubes are less flexible than the balls since you have to interface each cube at a face. The fact that they have poles limits them even more. I've never used the balls, but my guess is that they can stick more flexibly since there are no faces.

The cubes are also less challenging since the flat faces make them more stable to put together.

raleel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raleel
hugehead83 wrote:What are the dimensions of a Bucky Cube? Quarter Inch??

Thinkgeek says 4mm

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/ea9b/#tabs

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Google video search:

for buckycubes

and froogle only came up with $24.99 at Brookstone for one.

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

Reading the warning label for these things reminds me of the old SNL skit for Happy Fun Ball skit.*

*low volume on link, may need to turn up.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

I always purchase the Bucky products when Woot gets their hands on them. Definitely cheaper than going to the official buckyballs website @ http://www.getbuckyballs.com/

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

themelon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themelon
docflash wrote:i've got lots of sets of buckyballs, and thousands of zen magnets (kept away from each other, of course).

i'm waiting to see what happens when i mix 125 buckyballs with 125 buckycubes.

thoughts?

in for 2.

You just might have a superconducting substance on your table.

mzwoot99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzwoot99

Sorry if this has already been said before about this blog entry, but:

"I am disappoint."

tim74

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74

Another fun game would be to reconstruct the fingerprints of the photographer as there are whorls everywhere.

mk2253

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mk2253

This doesn't seem that much of a deal. You can find the same prices elsewhere.

jesuitson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jesuitson

Are these Neodymium rare earth magnets or are they just somewhat rare earth magnets?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
mk2253 wrote:This doesn't seem that much of a deal. You can find the same prices elsewhere.

Where?

imtheunknown176

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imtheunknown176

These become much more versatile when you mix them with ball bearings of the appropriate size. I would say the combination is superior to spheres. Small cylinders and ball bearings for the ultimate combo!

yuqimao

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuqimao
retswerb wrote:according to thinkgeek (who is out of stock) they're 4mm cubes.

ETA: http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/ea9b/

So the whole set of cubes together is less than an inch by an inch? Five 4mm cubes side by side is 2cm, and an inch is 2.54cm. That sounds awfully small...

sdc100

ADVANCED APOLOGIES FOR THE FOLLOWING NERDISM...

From the Description:
Each Buckycube has two poles – one side repels, the other attracts

If these only have one pole, I'd buy the entire stock. Millions of dollars have been spent but the elusive magnetic monopole is still in the realm of the theoretical...

Even SHeldon Cooper failed.

zinjifar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zinjifar

Do not buy 3 sets, since shipped together they exceed Chandrasekhar limit and the resulting black hole will eat your mailbox.

sdc100

docflash wrote:i've got lots of sets of buckyballs, and thousands of zen magnets (kept away from each other, of course).

thoughts?

in for 2.

The BIG BANG.

themelon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themelon
zinjifar wrote:Do not buy 3 sets, since shipped together they exceed Chandrasekhar limit and the resulting black hole will eat your mailbox.

Does that mean the fedex lady will just have to get the box within about 2 feet of the steel front door and then no one will ever be able to remove it?

jdiddams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdiddams

Buckyballs have always been a lot of fun and made great gifts. I'm sure these will fill the same niche.

sdc100

thoughts?

in for 2.

sdc100 wrote:The BIG BANG.

Ooops, sorry, there was a mistake in my calculations. My apologies to those who sold their belongings based on my cataclysmic prediction. My new calculations show that you actually need 126 buckyballs and buckycubes to create the Big Bang. With only 125, you'll probably just have an orgy where the cubes and balls will be fu-, er I mean, bucking each other non-stop. If you're lucky, you'll end up with some BuckyBabies of questionable shapes.

zinjifar

themelon wrote:Does that mean the fedex lady will just have to get the box within about 2 feet of the steel front door and then no one will ever be able to remove it?

Woot uses Smartpost. No Fedex ladies will be harmed in the delivery. Steel front doors may become portals. Not to be taken internally.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Wow! Someone actually named a cube after Richard Buckminster Fuller.

zinjifar

Bezalel wrote:Wow! Someone actually named a cube after Richard Buckminster Fuller.

His balls were taken

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

I bought one set of these from the manufacturer for about this price mere days ago. Rat farts.

I will agree with those who say that these are less fun than buckyballs. They're kind of difficult to work with and feel extremely limited compared to the spherical magnets, despite being stackable.

I also don't care for the move to 125 pieces instead of 216. The latter is a more "even" number which means more ways to "regroup" the magnets.

Still, at this price it's tempting. I think I have a problem.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

thoughts?

in for 2.

I think a combination might work very interestingly as you're replacing your ability to angle them, which the cubes don't have, which is why they look a bit crap to me in comparison.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

Just what I needed to power my time machine. See you all in the future.

ecstaticjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ecstaticjoy
happymainemom wrote:Looks like a Rubik's Cube with no possible solution. I would go insane.

My FIRST thought was "Rubik's Cube" but in my head it was permanently solved. The perfect Rubik's Cube.

retswerb

quality posts: 9 Private Messages retswerb
yuqimao wrote:So the whole set of cubes together is less than an inch by an inch? Five 4mm cubes side by side is 2cm, and an inch is 2.54cm. That sounds awfully small...

tim74 wrote:Another fun game would be to reconstruct the fingerprints of the photographer as there are whorls everywhere.

Check it out. The fingerprints verify the small size.

bobade

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobade

These cubes aren't bucky. There not even quite dimey.

Treytor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Treytor

I've been waiting for these to show up here. I absolutely love buckyballs, and think these look like a blast. In for 3.

jackie31337

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jackie31337
bluejester wrote:Reading the warning label for these things reminds me of the old SNL skit for Happy Fun Ball.

If the product warning wasn't scary enough, the recall notice is not exactly reassuring either:

"The firm received only two reports of ingestion and there are no known resulting injuries."

alexmg2420

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alexmg2420

I love my Buckyballs, so I'm pretty tempted. Wish I wasn't broke as a joke otherwise I'd be all over these!

jeffwtux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffwtux

This is my first "buckybuy". I don't understand the popularity with the buckyballs. The cubes seem way more useful.

Bud Ward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bud Ward
sdc100 wrote:ADVANCED APOLOGIES FOR THE FOLLOWING NERDISM...

From the Description:
Each Buckycube has two poles – one side repels, the other attracts

If these only have one pole, I'd buy the entire stock. Millions of dollars have been spent but the elusive magnetic monopole is still in the realm of the theoretical...

Even SHeldon Cooper failed.

You could always approximate one by making Halbach arrays.
Build a Z-scale maglev!

superstargoddess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess

The disclaimer on this item makes me say :O

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.

MaxSMoke777

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777

I actually bought 250 1/8" Cube magnets last year, just because I thought they would be more fun to play with then round Bucky Balls. I guess they finally figured that out too.

I stick them to the outside of my stainless steel business card case. Then, when I'm bored at a bar or wherever, I build towers using the business card case as a base. Never fails to draw interest, and everybody wants to play with them. They are less like jewelry, and more like tiny building material. You also have to be more aware of polarity.

The cubes I got cost about $50 or so, shipped. That was for 250. So this is a competitive price, but not exceptional. Mine didn't come with a logo green plastic box though. lol

rvandick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rvandick

Warning, these can chip easily!

I bought tons of the 10mm size from www.extramagnet.com (we're talking bulk buckyballs) and they were very brittle. The larger size made them so strong that if you weren't careful they would slam together and big chucks would break off...they have an almost ceramic consistency just under the finish.

I imagine the small ones are less prone to that, but if you slam them around they will crack.