WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The domestic dog is often called "man's best friend." Well, it's no secret -- some of y'all's friends are super obnoxious. Just because you've known someone since college doesn't mean you have to let him drag you down for the rest of your life. Seriously, you can do better.

The derpy dog portraits featured in this week's podcast were drawn by Adam Ellis. You can see more of Adam's awesome work at his blog, here:
http://www.booksofadam.com/

If you hated this video, you should probably avoid our Stupid 6 installment on dumb country music lyrics! It's here: http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=18238

The dog photos in this video came from the following Flickr users:

Labradoodle photos by "The hills are alive" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/hills_alive/5563602686/
and "jenly" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenly/3729395450/
and "BierDoctor" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/bierdoctor/394194023/

Bichon Frise photo by "mrRobot" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjarda/2339516878/

Shih Tzu photo by "cherie6c" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/12842205@N08/6018596607/

Pluto photo by "Jamesongravity" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesongravity/5074712582/

Pug photos by "Tumbleweed:-)" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/us_army_rolling_along/3620386818/
and "tarentula_in" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheene/3208527437/
and "Poi Photography" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/poiphotography/4748357908/
and "The Pug Father" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/fleur-design/428350122/
and "IndiePics!" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/13115694@N03/2994444242/
and "Ask Chewie" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/puglife/448477373/
and "audreyjm529" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/audreyjm529/160218981/
and "Яick Harris" -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickharris/1802156716/

All were used in accordance with the terms of their Creative Commons licenses.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1

Cats Rool!

tomprodehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomprodehl

If it's not a pug, it's just a dog. It's true what the wikipedia entry says. "This has been replaced by a weekly video podcast which isn't nearly as good."

ekummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ekummel

I have to kinda disagree with your assessment of the labradoodle. While I don't have one myself, I understand why this breed was created. You see, some people are allergic to pet dander, and pet dander comes from fur. Poodles do *NOT* have fur! They have hair (there is a big distinction between hair and fur...if you don't know what it is, then you shouldn't own a dog) Hair doesn't create dander. But poodles are not a very masculine dog, not even those pom-pom standard poodles. So the Labradoodle was created. A labrador with poodle hair...this way a more masculine dog can be owned by someone who is allergic (or has kids allergic) to pet dander! I think it's quite ingenious to be able to just go out and create a pet for someone who needs it...Me? I'm waiting for that Big Bang Theory fish-night-light!

elwoodblues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elwoodblues

I have to agree with ekummel on this one. I don't own a Labradoodle either, but I think a breed that has the temperament of a Labrador and the hypoallergenic properties of a poodle is really very smart. And far more popular than the Great White Hyena. The hairless offspring of a Great White Shark and an African Hyena. Okay, I totally made that up, but I'm certain if such a breed existed the Labradoodle would be much more popular.

socialpoison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socialpoison

I'm fairly certain the dog at 2:26 is an English Bulldog... not a Pug.

Julie4B2Rock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Julie4B2Rock

Most of those dogs are somewhere on the evolutionary ladder next to cats or varmints (if you believe in evolution, but surely these were made by man). Give me a real dog - German Shepard or Husky.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

Matthew seems to be holding a grudge against dogs lately.

First he rails against a dog's freedom of choice when it comes to fashion.

Now he complains about their continued existence.

I get the feeling he owns a lot of cats. I think the next animal video should be about "Cat Guys" and why they should be outlawed.

tags318

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tags318

I kinda like the whole video, and the selections seemed right on.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Think you posters are being a little picky. It's just a video short made in hopes you'll crack a smile. Pugs suck. Deal with it.

bleekii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bleekii

As a dog kennel operator I am very familiar with the more stupid dog breeds.

1. Yes bichon frises are dumb but shih tzus and pugs aren't. Shih tzus and pugs aren't the smartest but also not total soft brains. There are some very dumb large breeds but if you want a freak show try any breed under 15lb. Once you start getting their brains that small they... ummm... are going to be messed up in some way.

2. As for the comment about mixed breeds, don't be such a snob. There are a tons for mixed breeds in shelters that need homes. I totally agree that fad "fashion" breeds are awful, Like that whole . But mixing breeds tends to cancel out recessive genes making a heather, smarter dog. Please don't get you dog from a breeder. Adopt.

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex
bleekii wrote:1. Yes bichon frises are dumb but shih tzus and pugs aren't.
2. As for the comment about mixed breeds, don't be such a snob. There are a tons for mixed breeds in shelters that need homes.

I think you're missing the points, here. First of all, it's not that pugs themselves are stupid (as in unintelligent), but that their very existence is stupid (as in, who in their right mind would breed such a dog?). I have to agree wholeheartedly. Secondly, it's not that (the existence of) mixed breeds (as in mutts) are stupid, it's that deliberately creating boutique mixed breeds and giving them cutesy portmanteau names is stupid. What the heck is wrong with calling your dog a "lab-poodle mix" and leaving it at that?

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma
SBCJester21 wrote:Matthew seems to be holding a grudge against dogs lately.

First he rails against a dog's freedom of choice when it comes to fashion.

Now he complains about their continued existence.

I get the feeling he owns a lot of cats. I think the next animal video should be about "Cat Guys" and why they should be outlawed.

That's some "Strange Poop" you're spewing!

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
bleekii wrote:As a dog kennel operator I am very familiar with the more stupid dog breeds.

1. Yes bichon frises are dumb but shih tzus and pugs aren't. Shih tzus and pugs aren't the smartest but also not total soft brains. There are some very dumb large breeds but if you want a freak show try any breed under 15lb. Once you start getting their brains that small they... ummm... are going to be messed up in some way.

2. As for the comment about mixed breeds, don't be such a snob. There are a tons for mixed breeds in shelters that need homes. I totally agree that fad "fashion" breeds are awful, Like that whole . But mixing breeds tends to cancel out recessive genes making a heather, smarter dog. Please don't get you dog from a breeder. Adopt.

I Totally Agree with you !! Ive rescued all four of my babies . And I have NOT regretted for one min.
Ive got a Shih Tzu here that was Neglected and Japanese Chin here , From the Humaine society , An Older Pug that nobody seem to want or have the time for. And a 1/2 ferral cat, that I ve had since a kitten ( He thinks he is the boss. )

My Philosophy In live is , Save a LIFE Adopt A rescue. And have a faithful friend for Life And You Know I wouldnt Change a DANG thing in the adoption of "my Boys". The best blessing that Ive ever gotten

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

yort5thor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yort5thor

For those would like to further explore the oddness that is pugs, you should check out Dave Kellet's comic strip "Sheldon." He has an entire book that collects the pug-related strips. For example,
this one.

mikecris

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mikecris

The worst yet, in my opinion, is the "Chug". At the dog park inquiring as to the breed of a certain dog, I was told it was a Chug. Part Chihuahua,part Pug.

P.S. - I am loving the owner of a small-breed smooshed-face dog, so yes I may opine.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Ever since I have had my rescue ShihTzu Laaso Apso I have refrained from calling her by a run-together of the name. You get what I mean. The evil little animal who takes ownership of all she surveys - not lovable by any means, but cute and is a cat herder.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
SBCJester21 wrote:I get the feeling he owns a lot of cats.

ding ding ding ding ding

(But he likes dogs, too. He's just funnin' ya.)

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
ekummel wrote:Poodles do *NOT* have fur! They have hair (there is a big distinction between hair and fur...if you don't know what it is, then you shouldn't own a dog) Hair doesn't create dander.

This statement is so stupid I am surprised you were able to type it all out without choking to death on your mouse.

necoras

quality posts: 4 Private Messages necoras

Staff

llandar wrote:This statement is so stupid I am surprised you were able to type it all out without choking to death on your mouse.

Clarify that statement. He's correct that fur and hair are different things. He's wrong that knowing the difference between the two should be a prerequisite for dog ownership.

klozitshoper

llandar wrote:This statement is so stupid I am surprised you were able to type it all out without choking to death on your mouse.

dogs with hair need to be groomed and do not shed - their hair has to be cut!

klozitshoper

codex wrote:I think you're missing the points, here. First of all, it's not that pugs themselves are stupid (as in unintelligent), but that their very existence is stupid (as in, who in their right mind would breed such a dog?). I have to agree wholeheartedly. Secondly, it's not that (the existence of) mixed breeds (as in mutts) are stupid, it's that deliberately creating boutique mixed breeds and giving them cutesy portmanteau names is stupid. What the heck is wrong with calling your dog a "lab-poodle mix" and leaving it at that?

Because you can charge $500 to $1000 for the "designer dogs" we used to call mutts.

SadieB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SadieB
klozitshoper wrote:Because you can charge $500 to $1000 for the "designer dogs" we used to call mutts.

BINGO!

zingriffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zingriffy

Just watched your podcast and loved it. I felt a little bad when it mentioned that Bichon Frise since my sister has that breed. But all things considered, your podcast was dead on. I don't know how any can say with a straight face, I have a labradoodle (or cockapoo). The things we do to our best friends...

sammyhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sammyhan

Labradoodles are great hunting dogs and pugs are the best house pets.

sprkmaker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sprkmaker

Pugs as genetic lemons...hahahahahahaha.... that's hilarious.

ekummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ekummel
Jason Toon wrote:ding ding ding ding ding

(But he likes dogs, too. He's just funnin' ya.)

Is that Pavlov ringing the bell to make all these posts salivate?

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont

If

Labrador + Poodle = Labradoodle

then shouldn't

Golden + Poodle = Goldenoodle?

Why is it called Goldendoodle then? So stupid.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

llandar

necoras wrote:Clarify that statement. He's correct that fur and hair are different things. He's wrong that knowing the difference between the two should be a prerequisite for dog ownership.

The only difference between "hair" and "fur" is we tend to say humans have hair while everything else has fur. They're the exact same substance.

And neither one "produces dander." Dander is skin, and the allergens from dogs are in it and saliva. Poodles aren't "hypoallergenic," they just have curly hair that tends to hold more of their dander on their bodies rather than letting it slough off and into the air. They also tend to be more carefully groomed by their owners, reducing the amount of saliva on their bodies.

klozitshoper

ppremont wrote:If

Labrador + Poodle = Labradoodle

then shouldn't

Golden + Poodle = Goldenoodle?

Why is it called Goldendoodle then? So stupid.

Agree

klozitshoper

llandar wrote:The only difference between "hair" and "fur" is we tend to say humans have hair while everything else has fur. They're the exact same substance.

And neither one "produces dander." Dander is skin, and the allergens from dogs are in it and saliva. Poodles aren't "hypoallergenic," they just have curly hair that tends to hold more of their dander on their bodies rather than letting it slough off and into the air. They also tend to be more carefully groomed by their owners, reducing the amount of saliva on their bodies.

If they are the same, why, then do some dogs not shed and have to be cut? I have never heard anyone say that their dog had hair rather than fur or a coat when it had to be groomed. (huge business by the way)

Skanning

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Skanning
yort5thor wrote:For those would like to further explore the oddness that is pugs, you should check out Dave Kellet's comic strip "Sheldon." He has an entire book that collects the pug-related strips. For example,
this one.

I checked it out :-) Nearly choked laughing since I have a daughter and a sister who have pugs. I hope they have a sense of humor - and you should get a commission. Thank you for the link - I just knocked off another couple of Christmas presents :-)

llandar

klozitshoper wrote:If they are the same, why, then do some dogs not shed and have to be cut? I have never heard anyone say that their dog had hair rather than fur or a coat when it had to be groomed. (huge business by the way)

There is no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed. Some dogs just shed very little and/or have fine hair.

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
llandar wrote:There is no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed. Some dogs just shed very little and/or have fine hair.

It may be worth noting, that Humans "shed" too.

klozitshoper

@llandar: you are indeed correct. Geesh, I did not believe it and did a search. That means that the mink coat I had in my younger years was actually a hair coat instead of a fur coat. I feel cheated. Who knew.

zelfren

quality posts: 7 Private Messages zelfren

PUGS ARE BEST!

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

I have to agree with the Scrappy Doo selection.

I wish he would be cast in a Godzilla movie just so that Godzilla would stomp on Scrappy and put us all out of our misery.

P-P-Puppy Pow- (STOMP!)

Okay, I'm happy now.

rnssally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rnssally
bleekii wrote:As a dog kennel operator I am very familiar with the more stupid dog breeds.

WOW. I can't believe you can spew that crock and claim to be familiar with dogs. Bichons are an extremely intelligent breed who actually score higher ratings in intelligence than BOTH pugs and shih tzus, the latter belonging in the lowest rank according to "The intelligence of Dogs." If you're unfamiliar with their testing, they evaluate dog breeds on how quickly it can pick up ideas and solve problems on its own. And, your stigma on small dogs are completely unwarranted as one of the brightest dog breeds are Papillions!

-Owner of 2 medium sized mutts.

nephalite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nephalite

I own 2 pugs of which one is named PorkChub who only has one eye and is completely Caramel Apples - YUM! I do not think the two are directly related to each other. My other pug Ziggy is surprisingly intelligent but both of them are awesome house dogs :D

eskieguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eskieguy

As much as people love English Bulldogs, they could easily edge out pugs in the 'genetically deformed' category. If they live long enough, bulldogs *will* need hip replacement surgery, so they have all the pug problems, plus bad joints.